[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning the lyrics can ruin a song

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: 1489526990436.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1489526990436.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
Has there ever been a song you once liked that had been ruined by reading the lyrics? I'm typically not the best at deciphering lyrics by ear and obviously the music and the vocalizations are more important than any meaning the lyrics have. But once I discover the lyrics and can actually grasp the meaning behind them it can really ruin a song.

The best example I can think of is Adore by Savages. I didn't know much about the group and heard the song through Sirius radio, finding it an incredibly well written post-punk song with a great finish. From the lyrics I managed to make out it sounded like some resolution about enjoying life despite ill circumstance.

When I later learned of the lyrics I was absolutely disgusted. The song was basically the writer trying to reason with a heartbroken lover over the fact that she cheated on him, by making herself out to be the victim. She uses the analogy of "adoring life" and what amounts to YOLO ("I may die maybe tomorrow") to justify being a slut and cites primal "human" desire as a reason for her hypergamy, asking if it's unreasonable to want more from life. Basically she's a cheating slut who goes back on her inability to be satisfied and is calling her grieving ex-lover inhuman for being upset over her.

In any other day and age she'd be ostracized but I guess this is a new virtuous thing to sing about. The song from a musical standpoint is still great, but the meaning of the lyrics is so mean spirited it truly ruins the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ZpPsaMNMM
>>
Lyrics aren't that important me

Unless they're deliberately making a point or written for interpretation
>>
>>71840693
To me lyrics matter musically if they flow with the song or just work. I always hate it when an artist crams a bunch of shit into a verse really fast to keep up with the music.

In most cases I wouldn't care about the meanings, especially since most artists keep it vague. But in this case the meaning is blatant is mean spirited so it detracts from it.

Some of the newer songs by BRAIDS have a similar effect since it's just Raphaelle spouting a bunch of feminist nonsense and passing it off as a wise world view. The song Miniskirt is one such example, because it's literally just a song the exemplifies that belief that "I'm wearing this dress for me and not you" meme which everyone knows is "I'm wearing this dress to get attention by men I find attractive and not you less attractive men that I'll project negative masculinity connotations against because I'm insecure of men judging me based on my looks."
>>
Someone Great by LCD Soundsystem
>>
>>71840985
What is James Murphy talking about in that?
>>
>>71841022
I always assumed it was about a miscarriage. Haven't looked it up though
>>
Not ruined by any means but my god does Graceland take a different vibe when you know all the fucking wretched, heartbreaking lyrics that are hiding in that happy pop-sounding album.
>>
>>71840646
The King of Carrot Flowers pt. 1.

Teenage sex is immoral, unchristian, and leads to premature pregnancy and STDS.
>>
>>71841683
>Unchristian
Well it technically is.
>>
>>71841768
Sort of

Culturally, yes Christianity is against premarital sex

But if you look into the OT no law was put against premarital sex when there's damn near a whole "chapter" dedicated to sex laws (no sex with men if you're a guy, no sex with animals, etc etc)

Fornication had a different definition back in the day. It had to do with temple prostitution.

Paul AND Jesus couldn't add "premarital sex" to the list (notice how that phrase is never uttered in the entire bible) because that would be adding to the law
>>
No memeing, but I once had the opposite effect with a Smash Mouth song. I learned the lyrics to walking on the sun. I gained new respect for those guys after seeing those lyrics
>>
>>71841867
>No meming

But Smash Mouth being based is a giant meme.
>>
>>71841683
Autist
>>
Disillusion in a Discordant System by Acrania. It's all anti cop shit. Guess I shouldn't have expected better from metal core
>>
>Built to Spill - I Would Hurt a Fly

-
I can't get that sound you make out of my head
I can't even figure out what's making it
It feels like fingernails across the moon
Or do you rub your wings together?

There's a mean bone in my body
It's connected to the problems that I won't take for an answer
And I won't take that from you
Because I'd hurt a fly
-

Convinced it's about rape. What's slightly unsettling is Doug Martsch is such a nice guy so must have really had to "method write" this
>>
File: 1324043105192.jpg (145KB, 802x826px) Image search: [Google]
1324043105192.jpg
145KB, 802x826px
>>71841867
>Okay, fine, I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and look up these lyrics
>"It ain't no joke I'd like to buy the world a toke"
>>
>>71842761
Sure it's a bit tongue-in-cheek (like the music) but a lot of the lyrics are pretty interesting and way exceeded the standard I set for Smash Mouth in my head.

I think it's more metaphorical too. He isn't DUDE WEEDING

especially if you look at the rest of the verse for context
>>
>So don't delay, act now, supplies are running out
>Allow, if you're still alive, six to eight years to arrive
>And if you follow, there may be a tomorrow
But if the offer's shunned
>You might as well be walking on the sun

Pretty cool lyrics if you ask me

This is all said in the cadence of some weird 1950s jingle, juxtaposed against the 1960s kitsch "psychedelia" instrumental
>>
>>71840646
there's a song I otherwise like that has one verse about how "once the people had won and defeated Chiang Kai-shek that was the end of the terror" and one verse that takes the north korean side in the korean war
>>
courtney barnett - kims caravan

i think its about social pressure and pretentious assholes, though im not sure
>>
>>71841852
>OT
Jesus fulfilled the old laws. The OT is irrelevant.
>>
>>71843376
And adding to the law isn't allowed

And "fornication" as it were didn't appear in the OT

So whether or not you think Jesus fulfilled the old laws or not, it's irrelevant to my argument. I'm saying premarital sex isn't talked about in the bible.
>>
sometimes i mishear lyrics and i think that the ones i came up with are better than the real ones

the strokes - hard to explain
>I am too young, and they are too old
misheard as
>alive i'm too young and dead i'm too old

St. Vincent - prince johnny
>i wanna mean more than i mean to you
misheard as
>i wont mean more than i mean to you
>>
>>71843257
I mean, Chiang Kai-shek wasn't that cool of a dude.
>>
>>71843433
How could you mishear that St. Vincent lyric. It's not Huey Newton or Digital Witness where I have to look up all the lyrics.

Chloe in the Afternoon was one of those songs. I always knew it was about sex but I didnt know what KIND of sex. I always thought "no kisses no real names" was "no kisses no real me"
>>
>>71843466
No disagreement there but you would either have to be a liar or have pretty disgusting morals to say that the terror ended with him.
>>
>>71840646
Every single Yes song, Close to the Edge in particular.
Once I looked up the lyrics, I realized that they were all meaningless gibberish, and that kind of killed it for me. Can't stomach them any more.
>>
>>71843565
I know what you mean, I thought that to be continued song would have been dead crazy and meaningfull but instead its just about alleys.
>>
>>71843778
Alleys? Nah, it's actually Yes's most lyrically-coherent song. It's about a man driving around a lake surrounded by mountains to meet his lover.
Stuff like Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, though? Complete gibberish.
>>
>>71842022
How the fuck does anything in that song imply rape?
>>
>>71843949
Let you go to sleep
Feeling bad as me
Let you go to sleep
Feeling bad

>would hurt a fly implying malicious
>can't forget the sound you make
>mean bone that I won't take for an answer

I don't see what it else it implies
>>
>>71843565
you gotta get up and get down
>>
>>71844080
I did. My respect for Yes went up when I listened to their songs for the first time, then it went down when I read the lyrics.
>>
Pumped up kicks
>>
Yeah, I feel like knowing the lyrics in general can demystify a song
>>
>>71843515
i dunno, just did
i mean, i thought the vocals on Huey Newton and Digital Witness were pretty clear so it just happens
>>
Reckoner by Radiohead. It had an ethereal, incomprehensible quality that was in part because the lyrics were tough to make out by ear and the singing is so strange. Once I learned the lyrics all the mystique of the vocals was gone. They're good lyrics, but now I can't hear the song and think of the vocals as a strange, otherworldly instrument like I did at first.
>>
>>71844215

Edgy lyrics aside, it's really bland musically
>>
>>71841867
Walkin' on the Sun is a great song
>>
>>71841867
even more memes aside

>I could use a little fuel myself
>and we could all use a little change
Is unironically a great lyric.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.