[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the verdict, moo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Boy in Da Corner.jpg (55KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Boy in Da Corner.jpg
55KB, 300x300px
>>
british hip-hop sucks
>>
great album
>>
>>71840578
you didn't need to type "british" there
>>
>>71840578
>hip-hop
>>
grime is by far the worst sub-genre of hip-hop
>>
Modern classic. His only good album though, which is a shame.
>>
>>71840886

is it modern if it's 15 years old?
>>
>>71840886
His best album, but not his only good album.
Showtime is also great and Tongue n' Cheek is pretty fun
>>
>>71840898
Fuck. I forgot how old it was.
>>
>>71840920
I'll listen to Showtime now. I just found Tongue n' Cheek a bit too "pop". Holiday and Bonkers are great fun, but as an album it felt more like a collection of potential hits rather than a complete work.

The end of Holiday is amazing, considering I normally hate that kind of music.
>>
>>71840518
Potentially and objectively the best grime album I've ever listened to. Also the first. The flows on here the raw production basically became a staple of grime and many artists have taken influence from it. I would say it is a classic.

I can't find grime albums that are anywhere close to this and it's a shame t b h f a m

Treddin on Thin Ice is also pretty dope. Nothing comes close to the Hyper over the top delivery that Dizzee has on this album. His voice is really stand out.

I just wish grime would diversify itself as a genre everything sounds the same nobody is innovating.
>>
>>71840831
It is.

>>71840855
this
>>
classic
>>
>>71840990
>the flows on here the raw production basically became a staple of grime and many artists have taken influence from it
These were already a thing before though, they just weren't being exhibited in album format.
>>
>>71841013
not really. grime comes from garage and jungle where as hip hop comes from reggae. like it or not, the only thing they have in common is the fact that someone rhymes over the instrumentals.
>>
>>71841069
>the only thing they have in common is the fact that someone rhymes over the instrumentals.
which makes it hip-hop
>>
Decent but from that era, The Streets are better.

Boggles me how people talk about how Grime is this brand new musical movement that has just sprung up the past few years because of the success of Skepta and Stormzy, when it's been a thing for about 15 years.
>>
Are these hip-hop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJEouIeyfp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDRzDK8ZWYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVw2UZwllA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmaDg75MIc
>>
>>71841082
To be fair though, Skepta and Stormzy are pushing it in to the mainstream much more than Dizzee and Wiley ever did.

Not that they weren't big, but at the time it was seen more as a curiosity and "something different" whereas it actually seems to be capturing the zeitgeist now.

I do prefer The Streets, but maybe it's because of the connections I have to it. Nobody captured a period in time better than Mike Skinner did. Listening to it now and it makes me feel like I'm working for the weekend, having a laugh with mates despite things being shit. It transports me to a time and place like few others can. I just can't relate to Dizzee and co.
>>
>>71841082
The Streets ain't grime.
>>
>>71841115
Eh, true. Dance Wiv Me and Bonkers weren't really "grime" songs, and by the time he became big he'd got past that whole sound.

Skepta and Stormzy are more grime revival, or second wave grime though really.

The Streets also had huge crossover appeal. I knew plenty of people who almost entirely listened to rock who loved Original Pirate Material and A Grand Don't Come For Free. He's also in the Morrissey/Jarvis Cocker bracket of brilliantly British lyricists.

>>71841126
Nope, but easy to compare given the context of early 2000s British rap. Mike Skinner is GOAT British rapper.
>>
>>71841167
I was the same. Very much a Smiths fan, but Skinner's lyrics are incredible. It's quite a shame that he doesn't seem to be up to much these days, although part of me thinks that's the way he wants it to be. He turned up, left a huge impression on the music scene and left. No fuss.

Turn The Page is one of my all time favourite opening tracks. Those strings and the building intensity. What a way to start.
>>
File: eww.jpg (12KB, 512x281px) Image search: [Google]
eww.jpg
12KB, 512x281px
>>71841076
>confusing hip hop and rapping as the same thing

im not even sure if hardcore rock fans are this ignorant.
>>
>>71841224
His lyrical themes were pretty interesting, like on The Irony Of It All. That was a really well done track.

I really think that Original Pirate Material was the album that opened the door for British rap. There wasn't many successful British rappers before that album came out, but afterwards there's been Dizzee, Kano, Lethal Bizzle, JME, Skepta, Wiley and Stormzy.

As mentioned, it also drew attention from people who wouldn't normally listen to that kind of music.
>>
>>71841294
so is grime hip-hop then?
>>
>>71841294
Yeah, definitely. I love The Irony of It All. I'm listening to OPM now and it still sounds really fresh. It doesn't have a sound that can really be pinned down to an era.

I think with tracks like Fit But You Know It the guitar and drums were enough to bridge the gap between the rock and rap fans.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.