[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eclectic Taste?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: T052738.jpg (96KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
T052738.jpg
96KB, 480x600px
How varied is your musical taste? I know that a lot of mutants (particularly in chart threads) like to flaunt how varied and wide their musical horizons are.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'm one of those plebs who hasn't been able to successfully expand outside of my two main genres which seem to cover my musical bases well enough; Metal for when I want something more energetic (thrash, death, doom, handful of groove and black) and Electronic for when I want to chill (Ambient, Downtempo, IDM, a touch of experimental stuff).

Pretty much anything outside of that which I don't hate merely manages to be "pleasant enough" or "inoffensive" and just doesn't manage to get my juices flowing enough for me to be enthusiastically into it. Rock, Pop, Jazz, Classical, Punk, Hip Hop etc. They either just don't give me an emotional reaction to urge me to dive in, or I only like select hand picked tracks and don't care for the genre at large. >mfw

Who is in a similar situation, or used to be?
>>
i seem to find something i like in nearly every genre. lately i've been getting very much into blues but i mainly listen to metal
>>
>>71834804
mine doesn't have much variety - almost nothing but pop with the occasional bit of prog, country or folk
>>
>>71834804
I think it comes down to randomly finding an album or track you really like in a different genre and expanding from there
>>
>>71834948
This.

All it takes is one song and you're down the rabbit hole.

Explains why I've got so much 8o's Japanese music on my HD
>>
Culture and mindset can also make a huge difference. One reason I think I was, and am, able to enjoy really "dumb" trap music is because I live in the hood, which constantly exposes you to that kind of music.
>>
what I mostly listen to is jazz/indie rock/punk/post rock/shoegaze/prog/folk
>>
everything except rock and rap
>>
>>71835201
>Explains why I've got so much 8o's Japanese music on my HD
Yeah, I don't even know if I like that shit
>>
I might be one of those people you perceive as "flaunting" my "eclectic" taste in chart threads. It's a lot of breadth without depth though which suits me but I don't feel anything but indifferent about it. It's just how I like to listen to music.
I mostly listen to jazz and classical, but I think there's merit and something to enjoy in most other genres.
In my experience, getting into something drastically different from what you normally listen to tends to requires a bit of time and patience for you to acclimatise. I wasn't brought up listening to jazz or classical and when I first heard it, it mostly just washed over me. I wouldn't pay all that close attention to the music and I didn't empathise with the emotions it was trying to express. After about a two years of listening to jazz, I started to love stuff like Duke Ellington cause I got to know them so well, I started to be able to hear what was actually going on in the solos. That eventually became being able to follow along with the players within the first few listens and now it's my favourite genre, I play the stuff in a band and I'm secretary for the jazz society in my college. From where I'm at, I'd say it's worth trying to expand your tastes but do whatever you think is gonna be more enjoyable. If you think it's a waste of time, it probably is.
>>
I can't get into that twing twang shite anymore. So I guess not that varied.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.