[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UNPRECEDENTED GAP IN MUSIC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

Does anyone here agrees there's an unprecedented gap in music right now? People aren't going real-crazy about any band anymore. Just mere hype but not real passion in the air. "Iconic" is totally dead. Is there ever gonna be another Kurt Cobain phenomena?
>>
File: gondola finally happy.jpg (44KB, 617x795px) Image search: [Google]
gondola finally happy.jpg
44KB, 617x795px
The music world is homogenized, and filled with sjw's, they decided rock music was too white and male.
They promoted the most generic, corporate, electronic music of all time instead.
Rap is nothing but le being sad in da club, or niggers acting pretentious like they know anything about high fashion or fine art.
Poptamism was the embrace of mediocrity, there is no one to actually criticize the garbage that is heaped on us.
The record companies are too scared to takes risks on new artists so we have katy perry, taylor swift, and nicki minaj famous for 15 years straight and no new faces.
Old baby boomer rock acts make bank on live touring, younger artists cant even sell out stadiums, they have to play festivals with other plebe musicians.
The radio stations are owned by one or two giant evil corporations who will never play anything good, radio stations are pretty much commercials for whatever record company bribed clear channel the most.

Well, at least thanks to the internet i can listen to Japanese city pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPQsw7CSh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KAY_Glmn4
>>
>>71793638
nope.
people are more excited over video games.....companies aren't going to invest much in something that can be pirated...so too bad,,,,,
>>
>>71793737
Video games get pirated all the time though.
>>
>>71793638

There are you muppet

>Drake
>Kanye
>Beyonce

just because those are artists you don't listen to doesn't mean they aren't massively massively influential and are talked about for weeks after they drop a new project

I don't even listen to them btw
>>
>>71793748
but not to the point where the product is worthless
>>
>>71793764

wow...weeks you say
>>
>>71793638
> People aren't going real-crazy about any band anymore
Because the internet. This isn't hard to answer if you just thought about it, man. Before the internet, and as video games were in their infancy, the majority of people in western society gravitated towards television, films, and music. They got music from the radio, from their friends, from their older siblings in college who listened to their college's radio station, MTV, Letterman or whomever when they had a musical act, etc Now the internet has made it so you can activate the pleasure centers in your brain you'd get from the aforementioned things just from posting a photo to Instagram and getting validation from your peers. Posting something on FB and getting validation that way. You can go on youtube and look up anything you want, within reason. Even music. You can do this on Soundcloud, Spotify; why should anyone pay attention to any fledgling act when they can find whatever the fuck they want on the internet?

>Is there ever gonna be another Kurt Cobain phenomena?

Me, probably.
>>
>>71793722
Jesus fucking Christ stop with the idpol. The music world is most definitely NOT homogenized unless you're listening to the same old bullshit (which means only listening to one genre and not expanding).
That's what es jae dubyas do as well.
The commodification, marketing and capitalization of music is what has made mediums into garbage.
Don't get assmad just because people rap about high fashion or fine art.
All of it is commercialized under this system.

I honestly prefer not to have another Kurt Cobain phenomena since it would not be totally sincere.
I'd rather see the deterioration until the better system comes.
>>
>>71793722
>you took the time to write this
>you actually think this
>you posted this on /mu/ where you can be exposed to cool new music whenever you want

stay losin
>>
people are going batshit insane for Twenty One Pilots so you're wrong.
>>
>>71793849
>Don't get assmad just because people rap about high fashion or fine art.

rappers are out of touch and not actually speaking about the problems of normal people anymore because they all got rich
>>
>>71793638
>not taking the new frontier meme seriously

whatever dude, cool music is passing you by and you're sitting here jacking off to dirt colame
>>
File: IMG_6406.jpg (85KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6406.jpg
85KB, 600x400px
>>71793638

It already came and went. You just didn't pay attention.
>>
>>71793722
t. paul joseph watson
>>
>>71793872
>pop rap delegitimizes an entire genre
>rappers talk about working class problems all the time, but they operate in a black cultural sphere, so they aren't 'normal people'

why won't someone think of the uneducated, unambitious whites of this country.
>>
>>71793872
Yeah and other rich musicians aren't?
Struggling musicians do know about the problems of normal people
Some rappers did once but I actually would not know who is still barely floating above water and who is filthy rich.
>>
>>71793872
I don't understand. Are you saying they should shed light on the problems of normal people, spurring people to do something about? Or are you a normal person and you want to wallow in your troubles with rap music?
>>
>>71793879
Emo was pretty big but it was never promoted the same way grunge was as this mainstream phenomenon.
>>
>>71793897
Idk I feel like black American culture and "uneducated", "unambitious" white people is prole culture, nothing bad about that by the way.
Education and ambition is a spook to me but it'd be nice to afford a higher education.
>>
Kanye West is the new generation rock star
sad but true
>>
File: Have A Great Summer.jpg (338KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Have A Great Summer.jpg
338KB, 1200x1200px
>tfw born in a Tropic LimeStorm

https://thebajablasters.bandcamp.com/album/have-a-great-summer
>>
>>71793722
you have good taste in city pop but your mind is full of bunk you know
>>
>>71793919
all i want to say is that there is self reflective rap music which textually engages with working class/hustling experiences, which most of us can i identify with.

i agree w/r/t 'prole culture'-- but i don't think rap being a part of that delegitimizes rap generally

>>71793929
>i want to worship a rock star
god get over it you fucking faggot
>>
>>71793939
>>71793722

>listening to unironic vaporwave, unironically
pathetic
>>
>>71793976
Answer me here: >>71793910
>>
File: based way.jpg (314KB, 1242x1701px) Image search: [Google]
based way.jpg
314KB, 1242x1701px
>>71793913
>MCR
>emo
>>
>>71793910
i'm too tired for this and am confusing/misconstruing posts.

fwiw, i think OP is way off base, and i think the autist that followed him is an idiot. its even sadder that those guys have this opinion given that they frequent /mu/-- they have every opportunity to engage with cool new music
>>
>>71794044
OP and the other dude are talking about popular music, and why we don't have icons n' shit. I'd say this guy answered it: >>71793835
>>
>>71794044
it's not that there's no good new music...will there ever be a big movement ....I say no... & just concentrate on finding good music
>>
>>71793638

It will be me, fuckwit. You're actually retarded if you didn't know it was gonna be me. kys
>>
>>71794165
as long as you exit the same I'm with ya
>>
Merriweather post pavilion and Halcyon Digest are honestly the last great albums we have had. Everything has been dominated by either a revivalist ethos since. The last 6 years have truly been shite for music.
>>
>>71793913
eh MCR was mostly alternative rock and pop-punk, with a few dashes of minor emo
>>
>>71793980
there is nothing unironic about me
>>
>>71794191
For sure man, Eminem had the chance, and now he's just a dad rapper
>>
Elliott Smith was everything Kurt wanted to be and more. Cobain was more of an industry pawn, Elliott was truly a once in a generation talent. Not some hack riding on the back of regional trends set by better bands. The only artist during the 90s that could hold a candle to Smith was Jeff Buckley.

Modest Mouse was great before they went to shit too. Flaming Lips had a nice run but they are a total shit show now.
>>
>>71793849
>Jesus fucking Christ stop with the idpol
You mean stop being racist right?

The post you quoted is absolutely accurate.
>>
>>71793722

Literally all correct!
>>
>>71794270
>You mean stop being racist right?
It means stop engaging in idpol, which is what racists engage with.
Shoehorning shit won't work and it isn't accurate at all.
If it is, where are the proofs?

>>71794373
Something smells off..
>>
>>71793722
>plebdom: the post
the sad thing is that you probably wrote all that thinking it was a groundbreaking observation, please leave this board forever
>>
>>71793835
>Me, probably.
don't break your arm jerking yourself off
>>
>>71793883
t.melonfag
>>
>>71793638
Post this on ATRL or popheads. 4chan is too stupid and far detached to answer a question like this.
>>
File: 1391075483513.jpg (69KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1391075483513.jpg
69KB, 500x381px
>>71793638
I haven't been excited for a new album in two years. I literally don't even have a single album made this year, it's all just seemed like boring shit.
>>
>>71794927
& by 2018 it won't matter anyway
start listening to classical now & save yourself future disappointment
>>
>>71795200
>& by 2018 it won't matter anyway
?
>start listening to classical now & save yourself future disappointment
You mean the classics? Or contemporary classical?
>>
>>71794222
Never though of this. If he killed himself 15 maybe 20 years ago he'd be a fucking legend.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.