[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are you doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 1

File: How To Be A Music Success.jpg (13KB, 960x614px) Image search: [Google]
How To Be A Music Success.jpg
13KB, 960x614px
Why are you not building a fanbase and selling products to them like william says. What is stopping you from turning your music into a career and business
>>
>>71734002
they suck/have no ambition/don't know how to get into the industry/don't know where they want to be industry
>>
>>71734027
*in the
>>
>>71734027
thats pretty accurate actually
>>
also to answer your question as a music producer, i've only been doing this for 3 months with no musical background, otherwise i'd be in the underground witch house music scene and the nationalist/conservative scene socially, because what these artists also don't realize is being vocal about your opinions and being yourself draws a lot of attention to you
>>
>>71734159
ive noticed the same thing actually. just be yourself and people naturally gravitate to you. look at gg allen - dude shit on a stage and people loved it. not saying to go shitting on stages, but you get my point. people are fucking weird
>>
i read williams blog and it is probably the only blog that actually tells you how to do X in the music business. i have spoken to william via email and he is one of the coolest guys and always responds. he really helped me when i felt like total shit. anyways, as a rap artist and to answer your question op, too much drug culture in my world. too many people trying to start beef and sell drugs before anyone things about starting a "career". i dunno man
>>
>>71734240
lmao gg was edgy af
>>
>>71734240
gg was a fucking psycho. ive seen his live shows. he would shit on a stage, smear it on himself, then jump in the crowd and start beating the fuck out of people and they took it, smeared shit fists and all
>>
>>71734293
Have you ever thought about the Alt R&B scene?
>no drug culture
>no beef
>no selling drugs
>can still rap
>>
>>71734360
hmm, ive never heard of that? can you exlpain further? i am interested... i just dont feel like i fit as a rap artist. i am so focused on lyrics and a SOLID BEAT (dont care if its catchy or not, just high quality and good technique and fundamentals). i rap about philosophical shit and i try and promote it and all i hear is nigga this and nigga that muh dick size fuck bitches, i cant fit anywhere it seems
>>
>>71734027
Only one that applies to me is lack of ambition.
>>
>>71734430
why do you lack ambition ... that seems to be common in most people tho
>>
>>71734445
Don't know. Guess I just didn't develop a strong enough work ethic growing up. Wasting time on here is easy to do.
>>
>>71734002
>what's stopping you from turning your music into a career and business
Music listeners mainly wanting to discuss p4k garbage and stuff that is already mainstream. My music turning off normies because of intentional DIY elements. Now the only way I can make it is to be friends with turbochad who knows an A&R guy or make some edge-core indie rock. Corporations killed the underground.
>>
>>71734396
Alt R&B is a genre stemming from neo soul, hip hop and indie rock. It has both a mainstream scene and an underground one, so if you get big enough you might pop into the mainstream. As I said you can still rap, and your take on the genre with introspective lyrics can be interesting. There are yt channels dedicated to the promotion of artists of this genre, only one in the top of my head in this one https://www.youtube.com/user/dynmkde/about as you will see you have a link to submit your work there, if you feel like your good enough rn, go for it. Id like to hear your work btw if you dont mind
>>
>>71734488
well you seem like a pretty smart guy. get your shit together. dont waste your talent. all your friends are doing cool shit except you. they want you to be there with them, but you arent cause you dont have your shit together. thats ok because all it takes is different thinking. dont waste your talent bro - you will regret it. you can do it anon we believe in you
>>
>>71734543
music that turns off normies i am interested. can you share a link to your stuff?
>>
im so fucking depressed as a musician and should have done a different career. or maybe im just selfish and dont know how to sell
>>
>>71734550
https://soundcloud.com/willtheconqueror/the-conquest/s-djrTg

i wrote the lyrics and my friend wrote the music
>>
>>71734649
this is fucking badass holy shit. who the fuck wrote this beat? and do you have a website?
>>
>>71734610
im feeling depressed as well. ive gotten a really good number of downloads on my record but no one bothers to rate it, discuss it, and venues aren't e-mailing back. it's just so fucking oversaturated there's no way of standing out anymore without money or being friends and shilled by the hot new local band around.
>>
>>71734649
this is fantastic my man, start producing neo soul, write a good ep, get a bandcamp to sell it, a youtube to upload the full ep, pick the best track out of the ep and send it to that channel, also get a twitter, be yourself and interact with people often.
>>
>>71734690
i go by merty shango and thanks. the guy who wrote this is william tait
>>
>>71734714
thats pretty normal with most musicians and companies. do you mind sharing your music?
>>
>>71734735
thanks bro, i appreciate it. and thanks for the advice. i read a lot of music blogs (mainly williams blog) and have been thru the circuit. my touring is increasing and so has my social media prescene. I feel like im growing and making it if that makes sense
>>
>>71734787
no prob, best of luck :)
>>
>>71734815
thanks man, do you write music? i want to hear it if thats ok with you :)
>>
I think as an online music community we have to shine a light on the underground once again. Conde Nast has shaped the tastes of everyone and has taken all indie music into their corporate system. Underground music blogs with followings need to return in order for us to control the musical zeitgeist. If /pol/ was able to shape public perception and create movements then I don't see how we would be incapable of creating our own network of artists and albums that listeners discuss and share. Sure, the "mainstream" bands are making great music but their labels are choosing artists that will fit into their musical zeitgeist. If we make our own then we can influence the entire mainstream indie industry to revert to whatever sounds or styles that are being discussed and hyped. I know that bandcamp artists sound amateur to some but some of these artists have potential and them landing a gig like the current new p4k bands do would elevate them. It must also be considered that people don't want to listen to music that isn't popular or doesn't have some sort of hype behind it. This is all what p4k has done to the music listener. People wait until the p4k approval to get into an artist.
>>
>>71734823
i'm that dude who has been producing music for 3 months with no musical background so pls no bully.. :/ this is what i'm working on rn (i still don't mix or master as i'm clueless about those areas and am focused on sound design and music theory) https://soundcloud.com/citygazer/nightfall
>>
>>71734577
link me to a soundcloud or twitter to dm to
>>
>>71734002
https://github.com/ibab/tensorflow-wavenet

I'm making new genres using computer learning.
>>
ive met william before. known him for about 2 years. dude is weird as fuck. extremely smart though. i felt like i was talking to an alien.
>>
>>71734832
i like your plan and outlook. you know the game.
>>
>>71734649
this is FUCKING BADASS. Holy fucking shit man for real no joke. I am loving this lyrics and music
>>
>>71734855
dig it, so simple yet it moves me in a weird way. cant describe it. got anymore?
>>
>>71734922
i met william in nashville once. he was cool until he got tipsy. he threw a beer on the ground, yelled and said that this was bullshit, and left. kinda boss actually
>>
>>71734832
While I get what you're saying and agree with some of it, I think that there are communities and groups that will look beyond what the publications write about. Also in regards to the 'mainstream listener' (if we're talking about commercial and Top 40 radio here): there's a lot of people that just don't give a shit about music at all, and have no interest in listening to or finding new music. I don't think anyone can change that.
In regards to amateur artists (bandcamp releases, in this case) I think a lot of musicians have very little quality control, which is great for pumping out music (furthering art, developing practices, diversifying communities, etc) - but it makes an enormous amount of mid-to-low quality music accessible via the internet which can be a bad thing. In fact, personally I think it's simultaneously one of the best and worst things about the internet. There aren't any boundaries, no more geographic restrictions, but the tradeoff is that there is so much of it and it's all competing for attention. People ask, "why isn't my music getting any attention? I think it's good, and better than most popular releases" but the recording might be fucking awful, or they haven't sent it to any publications, or they don't play live, or they haven't found a way to tap into the communities who might be interested in this kind of music. That also goes hand in hand with the "music is art, it should be treated as an art form" schtick that all too many idealistic shitty musicians seem to STILL adopt, even though information on how to enter into the music industry is literally a Google search away.
>>
>>71734900
what is github? can you explain your music
>>
>>71734984
no :/ i usually delete my tracks because i think they're not good enough and they're not worth ending. I'm getting better tho and seriously want to end this one. I gotta go btw, it was nice chatting with you, and again best of luck
>>
>>71734922
never met the guy, but love his blog and emailed him and he just said to "quit fucking around". thought i was going to get self help shit but he just told me to fuck off. feel worse now actually

:(
>>
>>71734832
I can definitely get behind this.
>>71734002
College and work has kept me extremely busy but since I'll be graduating this summer I'm going to get some free time to work on recoding the songs I've written.
My band from high school has been getting really good since we've all been practicing but we're going to different schools across the state so we haven't been able to record anything or play shows.
If I can get a solid demo put together of my solo stuff I could try and get the music industry department of the college I'm at to record and put out an album for me as a project for some of the students.

What's this William dude's blog? I think I need it in my life.
>>
>>71735066
thanks bro, please come back to and share more, we need it
>>
>>71735032
>music is art, it should be treated as an art
I would argue and say that best album pre-2008 would apply to this. That's my point, p4k has killed independent music. It's no longer about art it's about making music that is on the border of mainstream appeal and hipster credibility. This type of music is too safe but it's what most labels are hungry for. This mainly applies to rock/pop music. Electronic can still get away with being as weird and artistic as it wants to be.
>>
>>71735081
howtobeamusicsuccess.com

william writes about bullshit that we might like. i like his shit but from what i heard he is either a massive dick or extremely nice. just depends on how you email him i guiess

>>71735032
i agree with this
>>
>>71735113
what is p4k exactly?
>>
>>71734002
What blog OP? Interested to read, couldn't find anything reverse image searching.
>>
>>71735145
pitchfork.com
>>
>>71735146
hes talking about william tait's how to be a music success blog (howtobeamusicsuccess.com). its basically a site of a nerd that tests business strategies for musicians and puts it on his blog guy is weird but i love his shit
>>
>>71735145
pitchfork duh
>>
>>71735032
i dont get what you are trying to say? are you saying musicians are nothing more than pawns?
>>
im a musician that feels like a failure. go ahead and shame me i dont care. ive tried my best i just dont know what to do
>>
>>71734855

https://clyp.it/h2wrsfmw
>>
>>71735324
what's your genre and whos your audience?
>>
>>71735441
im a heavy metal guitarist and my audience i dont really know
>>
>>71735560
you have no future as a heavy metal guitarist, give it up
>>
>>71735326
this is some good shite
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.