[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general consensus on Dream Theater?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

What's the general consensus on Dream Theater?
>>
>>71693732
Pretty shitty.
>>
good musicians that made 2 good albums and a few decent songs that are okayish. apart from that they're boring as fuck.
>>
>>71693767
Maybe

Why? Is it the "15816373 tempo changes per song" gimmick?
>>
>>71693794
Newer prog, and especially prog metal, generally isn't my thing. I was just speaking as to the consensus. I feel like you'd be hard pressed to find fans here.
>>
meh.

musical technicality doesn't impress me in the absence of good amd tasteful songwriting.

I'll stick with my Rush, who could do both well, thank you very much.

you can dance to Rush. you can't dance to Dream Theater.
>>
>>71693732
They were my first "out there" band (using the term loosely), so I have a special place in my heart for them, but I don't really listen to them much anymore. A lot of nostalgia with them though.
>>
More importantly

Is liquid tension experiment better
Do they give their musicianship a good use?
Is LaBrie the weakest link in the band?
>>
File: 1411335078063.png (634KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
1411335078063.png
634KB, 1200x801px
Prog metal sucks dick desu, metal as a genre can't be progressive in the same way as rock. Tech metal works but why bother with tech metal when classical and jazz exist who both do it better. Metal should stick with its guns: being fast, aggressive, mean, evil, and angry. Metal can do aggression and anger 1000x better than any other genre, its very special that way. Why waste that talent to make sub par classical or faster prog rock

>>71693904
poor and obvious bait friendo, heres a (you)
>>
>>71693732
I have a friend that love them (he got autographs and shit) , so I decided to try it.

>first album is shit

>Metropolis pt II (general consensus showed me that this is their best) is an okay album

honestly couldn't take much longer because of the singer and keyboard sounds.

and I just fucking hate the huge amount of ballads that this band has

Beyond This Life is a good song tho
>>
File: 1422574102631.png (200KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1422574102631.png
200KB, 600x451px
>>71693732
top-tier musicians
cringe/10 singer
self masturbation
few good songs overall
>>
I like wanky prog metal so they're good in my book
>>
>>71693732
Used to be the biggest fan of em but grew out of it. Still I'd say today I like four of their albums and that's it.
>>
/mu/'s general consensus on Dream Theater is that it's shit.

Outside of /mu/ it's really only popular with nerds and losers who only really like it because "lol technical, Petruci can play faster than your favorite guitarist".

In my opinion, their ok. If you can find a CD for under $5, I would buy it. The only albums I'd consider essential are Images and Words and Metropolis Pt. 2.

Train of Thought and Six Degree's are both pretty good.

Title track from Octavarium is great but the rest of the album is just ok.

Everything else is either ok or complete trash.
>>
>>71693999
>bait
no
fight me fgt
>>
>ITT: idiot too stupid to understand dream theater
>>
>>71694543
>he thinks that power ballads are intelligent music
>>
>>71694394
>mu/'s general consensus on Dream Theater is that it's shit.
So theyre great
>>
>>71694578
/mu/'s is right this time boyo
>>
>>71694568
>puts on black metal
>>
>>71694543
>>71694578
are we being shilled by the http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/ ?
>>
>>71694592
Sorry you too have shit taste
>>
>>71693732
Pretentious flavorless garbage
>>
>>71694543
Wait, just one?
>>
DT and other such bands turn music into a synthetic unnatural and harsh chemical
>>
Are there any good prog metal bands?
>>
I'm listening to this for the first time now?

What did you think of it? How does it compare to his previous work?
>>
>>71694683
Well now that you're here, 4
>>
They're a prime example of the whole not greater than the sum of its parts.

Instrumental skill isn't the same as musical skill. Each musician in the group is astoundingly good as playing their instrument, but boy - they sure as fuck don't know how to make good music. It's not 5/6/whatever people coming together to create a cohesive product; it's a bunch of dudes wanking at once.
>>
>>71694728
Probably. I dig Opeth and Protest the Hero.
>>
>>71693732
They'll never outdo Images and Words

Ever. Pretty good album.
>>
>>71693971
Yes
Yes
Since the shrimp thing, yes

Their early albums are pretty good. Images and Words is solid
>>
The Astonishing is their worst album, period.
>>
>>71696102
t. Portnoy
>>
Change of Seasons is brilliant. Awake was really good too. Before that is technically good but no good songs. After that is a bunch of technical masturbatory bullshit. Infinity is an okay album, but the rest are just dumb.
>>
>>71696127
No seriously, it fucking sucked. I liked ADTOE and the self titled was sort of ok, but nothing about the astonishing was remotely good.
>>
>>71693732
I really like Train of Thought
>>
>>71693904
I agree but I don't think Rush is music you can dance to
>>
>>71696173
Yeah anything from self-titled on has been a huge letdown from a band I was already lukewarm on since after octavarium
>>
>>71693999
>Tech metal works but why bother

Digits aside, fight me
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.