[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Kanye West inspired by Death Grips (and other alt-hiphop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

Was Kanye West inspired by Death Grips (and other alt-hiphop of the time) on Yeezus?

I'm not trying to argue he "ripped them off", or even that the whole album has similarities, but I find it hard to believe its merely a coincidence Kanye made such sonic choices without at least hearing / being inspired by Death Grips. With the buzz that DG had at the time, its not unlikely that Kanye heard them.

Do the synths in "On Sight" honestly not bring to mind sounds DG used on the outro to "Blood Creepin" or even more-so on "Come up and get me"? Not only that, but the quick-cuts in sampling on "New Slaves" and especially "Bound 2" really remind me of what DG did in "Double Helix" in the 2nd half of the song.

Im open-minded and I'm interested to hear your arguments as to why or why not you think there was some kind of influence going on. I know its a bit of an old topic but I've never seen anyone really give a well thought-out opinion as to what they think on the topic.
>>
>>71673308
hardly
arca and eviant christ were making more abstract shit at the same time with dg's releases

has he heard about dg? most likely yeah of course. but /mu/ likes to get amnesia when you take a look at the producer credits on this album.
>>
The only thing on Yeezus that sounds remotely Death Grips inspired is On Sight, which sounds a little like Come Up and Get me. Any Death Grips album is far more chaotic and busy than Yeezus. Kanye recruited some underground producers for Yeezus, like Arca, Gesaffelstein and that guy from Salem.

Pitchfork did an interview with some engineers and producers that worked on Yeezus around the time of its release and asked if they listened to Death Grips during its recording. They said that they were aware of the band at the time but didn't listen to them.

I honestly can't see Kanye hiding the fact that he was inspired by Death Grips. He's open and honest when it comes to inspiration, he said that he listened to a lot of Portishead during the Yeezus sessions.
>>
>>71673399
>On Sight
Nah it just sounds like acid house
>>
>>71673308
maybe it was, but saying this is a DG rip-off is equal to saying that DG is a Grimes rip-off
>>
I think you find it hard to believe because you live in a box in a community where everyone thinks Death Grips are jesus

There's nothing on the album that makes me think for a second that he was influenced by DG, it's just sonically different from his Kanye's other music
It just doesn't sound alike and the album has more to do with the people who helped produced the album and where Kanye was in his career after Watch the Throne and MBDTF.
Even Black Skinhead which is his most "industryal hep hoop" track doesn't sound like DG.

I get the people who say it as soon as they hear Black Skinhead but I can't understand why you would try and hold that comparison upon listening to the rest of it.
>>
>>71673480
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. In my post I mention how I dont think the WHOLE album is sonically similar, just a few songs (On Sight, Bound 2, but also the "industrial" sound of Black Skinhead as you have brought up). On the whole I see what you are saying in regards to the people involved in the production of the album, and also how its particularly jarring in comparison to the rest of Kanyes discography. However when it comes to "On Sight" I still find it hard to agree AT THE VERY LEAST that "Come up and get me" did not have some kind of influence. To go from MBDTF to that without the DG connection feels unlikely to me. In regards to producers on the album who would you think had the idea for that sound?
>>
>>71673308
the song Black Skinhead is literally about how he wants to be MC Ride.
>>
>>71673707

Black Skinhead goes harder than any DG song and I'm saying that as a huge DG fan. If Kanye ripped off DG with Yeezus, than he did a better job with their formula than they ever could.
>>
>>71673678
daft punk
>>
>>71673433
>"Not try to argue he ripped them off"

Fucking read
>>
>>71673678

On Sight sounds like pretty standard acid, albeit more sharp and modern sounding. DG didn't invent that kind of synth pattern.
>>
>>71673723
"Goes harder than any DG song" - I respect your opinion but can you explain this one? I dont agree at all. On "Come up and get me" the dude is literally screaming at the top of his lungs and audibly runs out of breath at a particular point of the song. How can you go harder than this?
>>
>>71673827
subject matter
>>
>>71673827
Kanye had fingers in his booty during the recording; that's pretty hard senpai
>>
>>71673827

It mostly comes down to how much harder hitting the production is. I don't blame DG for not being able to perfectly master their record like Kanye. Also Come Up and Get me feels more desperate and anxious while Black Skinhead feels somewhat empowering and uplifting.
>>
>>71673788
Fair enough, I'm not super well versed in acid house so I can see how I missed this one. But just to counter, I'm skimming through some acid house on youtube and nothing is sounding as intense/abrasive as what Death Grips (and subsequently Kanye) would do. Any specific examples to back up your point?
>>
>>71673678
As others have said in the thread, On Sight is a lot more like acid house and that's also confirmed by Kanye listening Chicago house as one of the influences of the album.
I don't see the comparison between Double Helix and Bound 2.
>To go from MBDTF to that without the DG connection feels unlikely to me.
I think you're underestimating Kanye's ability. People forget how different 808s was to Late Reg and Graduation and then how different MBDTF was to 808s.
Also Daft Punk were producers on that track, which might also explain it but I think the idea of On sight was mainly a Kanye thing
>>
>>71673854
Dude have you read of any of DG lyrics?
>>
>>71673900
trust me i've been in every dg conspiracy thread this board has done.
rides lyrical are based off fantasies of events that never happened to him. besides maybe some stuff on exmil

kanye lyrics are personal and actually piss people off.
>>
>>71673885
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIpyBeBpC74
>>
>>71673876
Ok I think we are thinking of "going hard" in different ways but I get your point. Still, the 1st time I head "Come up and get me" I was genuinely disturbed, whereas "Black Skinhead" seemed much tamer, even neutered, in comparison .
>>
it was Kanye's reaction to the critical acclaim of experimental hip hop such as Death Grips
>>
>>71673827
imo DG always look like they're pretending to be kind of psychotic and angry

Kanye might actually be a psychopath or at the very least mentally unstable, when he gets mad about something he puts 100% of himself behind it and believes everything he's saying like he's writing the gospel.
MC Ride can shout as loud as he wants but Kanye is actually mad about something
>>
>>71673958

That's not acid, that's more standard techno with some EBM influence.
>>
>>71673866
True.
>>
>>71673981
nah i disagree with the acid house references everybody else is saying.

but tbf the credits are benji b, mike dean and daft punk. so ask them tbqh
>>
>>71673308
Only, the only songs that sound remotely similar to DG are On Sight and I Am A God. Also Kanye is always very vocal about his inspirations and usually collabs with them, whereas he's never spoken about DG and his producer Mike Dean said they'd never heard of them when making Yeezus.
>>
>>71673707
I dont really see the connection but I can see how someone might come up with the phrase "Black Skinhead" when they get a look at MC Ride
>>
>>71674026

Death Grips fans still think there was a huge conspiracy to rip-off and profit off of the sound of Death Grips. He hired the fucking producer for Salem for one of his tracks for fuck's sake and they were way more underground and obscure than Death Grips.
>>
>>71673935
I guess, but if we comparing based strictly on lyrical content DG come off as way more disturbed.
>>
>>71674064
well only points i'd give dg fans for the theory is that maybe kanye tried to connect with zach/dg and zach told him to go fuck himself.
zomby said kanye tried to reach out to him and actress for yeezus but they didn't like how he just asked ppl to make him stuff without being physically their
>>
>>71674103
again i disagree. besides rides vocal delivery majority of it is just incoherent shit backed by no logic.
>>
>>71673979
This is a good point - I agree on the mental instability of West. I can see how one would be more affected by someone they actually think is insane lol
>>
>>71673958
Fair enough, its not too drastically different
>>
>>71673891
Its the quick, jarring cuts in the sampling Im referring to, not the "sound" or content of the songs
>>
>one of the most important artist of the 21st century gets help from sad rap group
>implying kanye doesn't have an army of producers that couldn't listen to DG and reproduce it

Wew
>>
>>71674106

Zomby is full of himself, I bet he's lying. The only good album he's made was a throwback jungle/rave album, why would Kanye want someone like that producing on Yeezus?
>>
>>71674193
That's not really a new thing, hip-hop has always had a way of blending samples together in ways that are incongruent with one another since Public Enemy was a thing.
>>
>>71673399
Literally compare the first ten seconds of I am a god and come up and get me
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.