[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a more style-over-substance genre than Punk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: c2c6a311cdc4208dc80a581a2e8f95a0.jpg (617KB, 2500x1979px) Image search: [Google]
c2c6a311cdc4208dc80a581a2e8f95a0.jpg
617KB, 2500x1979px
Has there ever been a more style-over-substance genre than Punk?
>>
rap
>>
fast-food
>>
Literally every genre.
>>
>>71646252
/thread
>>
pop
>>
no

it's why women like it

i suppose you could argue the style IS the substance from a pomo perspective

after all, we can see the development of this idea here on /mu/ itself - who cares what music you actually listen to or what it sounds like? what matters is the image of what you listen to, is it avant-garde, is it hipster, etc etc

the idea is not
>the music suggest this idea
but rather
>this is the kind of music that a certain person listens to, the RIGHT kind of person (ostensibly)
>>
>>71646252
Aye.
>>
Glam Rock
>>
Is it only me or is Sid Vicious the worst musician to ever come out of this world?
>>
>>71646252
>>71646265
both rap and pop can be made with a "craft" in mind - the carpenters, brian wilson, etc, are all pop artists who take pride in the substance of their music via arrangements, and hip-hop and rap at least have rhyme schemes to focus on and of course various kind of beats and rhythmic antics that you can get up to.

punk has been doing the same thing for almost forever and there's really very little distinction between any punk band aside from the stylistic image
>>
Vaporwave duh
>>
Prog
>>
>>71646297
his version of My Way was pretty special though
>>
>>71646312
Prog is all substance and no style though
>>
>>71646313
He has a look that makes me want to strangle his tiny neck.
>>
>>71646307
>punk has been doing the same thing for almost forever and there's really very little distinction between any punk band aside from the stylistic image
shhh don't upset the punk fans.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1500x1187px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1500x1187px
Anyone else see this spooky face in the picture?
>>
>>71646307
>punk has been doing the same thing for almost forever and there's really very little distinction between any punk band aside from the stylistic image
Because Bad Religion sounds so much like Adolescents, right guys?
>>
Glam
Goth
Hair Metal
Black Metal
Nu Metal
Mod
Oi!
Crunk
Emo
Gangsta Rap
Psychedelic Rock
Grunge
NWOBHM
twee pop
>>
>>71646311
This, just because the visual aesthetic is part of the genre inherently.
>>
>>71646273

I don't even look at album art when I listen to music, I feel sorry for people who taint their conceptualization of what they're listening too by pictures of the band wearing trendy edgy clothes
>>
Dream pop and shoegaze
>>
>>71646307
Low quality bait
>>
>>71646409
and because it has no substance at all?

The artists and critics had to do write ups to give substance to the awful music, created out of nothing.

>It's a commentary on capitalist blah blah blah

And I think even some vaporwave "artists" disagreed with this
>>
>>71646366
3spoopy5me
>>
>>71646297
There was that one nigga from the emo band that raped babies and shit.
>>
>>71646405
this
>>
>>71646582
blood on the dance floor?
>>
Harsh noise
>>
EDM. Fuck off op, punk is goat
>>
>>71647136
House and techno are good though
>>
>>71646405
Most of them (other than black metal and crunk) have plenty substance. I still agree 100%.
>>
punk and hardcore punk were, in great way, really about style. i don't necessarily mean "dress style," but rather "musical stye."

you HAD to play fast and you HAD to play hard and you HAD to talk about xyz or else you weren't part of the cool club.

ironically, this means that the most important (or at least highly-regarded) bands of the 80s hardcore punk movement were those that refused to play traditional hardcore punk (minutemen, meat puppets, butthole surfers, sonic youth, dinosaur jr, big black, etc etc etc) notable exceptions are, of course, the BEDROCK of hardcore punk: black flag and minor threat.

tl;dnr hardcore punk was basically a bunch of poseurs accusing each other of being poseurs
>>
>>71647305
>minutemen, meat puppets, butthole surfers, sonic youth, dinosaur jr, big black
Just because they're influence by a style doesn't make them one.
>>
>>71647305
>a bunch of poseurs accusing each other of being poseurs
that's pretty much the definition of music
>>
>>71647331
i didn't say they PLAYED hardcore punk, but that they were BORNE out of the hardcore punk movement.

my point was that the best bands to come out of the hardcore punk movement weren't even really playing hardcore punk
>>
>>71647397
That's pretty much applies to almost every genre, the most notable bands are the ones who don't exactly follow the norm. I think the clearest example is the big 4 of thrash (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax), and yet most "hardcore" thrash fans usually tell you more generic bands are better because of it.
>>
>>71647470
underground genres has a certain obsession with conformity (which is pretty ironic) to the point where any minor deviation results in excommunication under any excuse (selling out, changing sides, changing style whatever whatever).

i dunno man people are pretty averse to change.
>>
I love it when mu talks about punk because has absolutely no clue about punk. Or anything else really.
>>
>>71646226
DUDE THE SYSTEM SUCKS! WHICH IS WHY WE NEED TO MAKE OUR MUSIC AS SHITTY AND SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE! TO REBEL DUDE!
>>
>>71646226
>Has there ever been a more style-over-substance genre than Punk?
Vaporwave
>>
>>71647733
fucking hell this exactly
80s indie was punk growing up
>>
>>71647701
I know OP most is most likely shitposting but what do you know about punk than any other anon doesn't know?
>>
Gospel Music.

The genre is just a way to make people think about god even when listening to music.
Being religious as close to 24/7 way as possible
>>
>>71647733
>WHICH IS WHY WE NEED TO MAKE OUR MUSIC AS SHITTY AND SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE! TO REBEL DUDE!
The point is to anyone be able to complain, and you make shitty music, because no one will be good musician, so you still complain about stuff musically, even if you suck
>>
>>71647733
dude the point was DIY, the low technical ability and production value was more a product of not being able to / wanting to work with THE MAN

DIY (and hardcore punk) was a populist movement: you don't need a contract to record and album, fuck you don't even need to know how to play.
>>
>>71646582
>>71646637
No, I think it was Ian Hopkins from Lost Prophets or something? He raped the babies of his groupies and got a sentence of 30 years.
>>
File: gentle-giant-press-photo-1970s.jpg (225KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
gentle-giant-press-photo-1970s.jpg
225KB, 800x571px
>>71646312
>Prog
>Style
Yeah, no.
>>
Blues
>>
>>71646226
modern country.
>>
>>71646307
>>71646347
ayy lmao
>>
>>71646307
yeah, Hardcore, Pop-Punk, and Post-Punk sound so fucking similar.
>>
>>71647922
if you're going to drive a car it's generally better if you know how to drive a car
>>
>>71647701
Pretty much this
>>
>>71646312
You're crazy man, Prog is the opposite of that
>>
>>71647701
Conservatism is the new Punk LMAO
>>
>>71647701
Death Grips is the new punk
>>
>>71646313
This, i liked his solo songs to be honest, they weren't that bad but i totally understand why people disliked him. He couldn't play any instrument or sing, but he had a good sense of style. He embodied what the cliche of punk rock eventually became, which is kinda why i like him. He had such a good sense of style that people to this day wear fucking chains with locks on their neck and they do the pogo and have that stupid hair and leather jacket.
>>
File: Ian Watkins.jpg (38KB, 420x560px) Image search: [Google]
Ian Watkins.jpg
38KB, 420x560px
>>71647927
*Lostprophets
>>
>>71647792

Self involved atheist spotted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or1oZ35NA2U
>>
>>71646252
fpbp
>>
>>71646252
>rap
>music
>>
>>71646226
vaporwave
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.