[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Loudnesswar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: eefe.png (17KB, 761x595px) Image search: [Google]
eefe.png
17KB, 761x595px
Google that shit. Brickwalling killed music
>>
any reason why that makes it worse
>>
this thread sucks ass
>>
>google that shit
Have you been living under a rock? Everybody on /mu/ knows what this is, newfriend.
>>
>Google that shit
Everyone knows about it already. What is there to do, anyway?
>>
I don't know much about audio quality as a science and I'm super lazy, sum it up for me
>>
NIce meme friend, I'll be sure to pass this one.

Here's another one: It's the highs in a song that damage hearing, the crack of the snare etc, so just turn that shit down! The bass can still be absurdly loud be we're born with one set of ears. People won't experience pain when they listen to music that way.
>>
>his music's wavelength doesn't look like a rectangle
plebberino spotted
>>
>>71635586
Google that shit.
>>
>>71635628
Why can't you just explain it if you care so much?
>>
>track sounds a bit shit and quiet
>turn it up a bit
>sounds better

>someone on 4chan gets mad

why is the world this way, tell me
>>
>>71635586
Well basically this is how it works

Signal goes from the device right, to the speakers.

So >signal > Speakers > Ear

The speakers are running at a certain wattage, with the volume. Basically when a speaker takes a signal and makes it louder, it's like taking a .png or .jpg, and expanding it. So it's wise to keep the speakers up to a reasonable volume, one that won't make them self destruct, and then adjust the signal, and that will make the music have higher fidelity.

Or that's what I've heard at least.
>>
louder is better,
>old song comes on and hafta turn it up.
>followed by new song which blows out a speaker
>>
>>71635656
>>71635667
doesnt mean that you brick wall it
>>
>>71635657
So basically, if you're using one of those bluetooth audio devices, like I often do. It's wise to turn it up to a certain point, then adjust the signal from your phone. Not the other way around.

This also is why headphones don't have an option to adjust volume. If i'm not mistaken.
>>
>>71635678
the OP image tells you nothing, it's zoomed out, on the whole track
you don't know if that was brickwalled, compressed or what
>>
>he fell for the remastering meme

Only degenerate normie trash who are impressed by loud noises listen to anything but vinyl and original 1980s CD releases
>>
File: rickrubin.jpg (66KB, 960x568px) Image search: [Google]
rickrubin.jpg
66KB, 960x568px
>>
>>71635717
https://opentrackers.org/whatinterviewprep.com/

good thing this site is still up
>>
>>71635694
If the signal isn't loud enough, the solution is to get a better system, not to brickwall the signal.

Or in the case of most people, turn their speakers up all the way and break them.
>>
>>71635835
I misstyped, not the signal, but if the sound isn't loud enough.
>>
>>71635806
The song to the left has no dynamic variation anyways.
>>
>>71635806
I mean, on second thought, it does. I just didn't see it.
>>
brickwalling didn't kill music. it just made it so we get ear fatigue a lot quicker than when listening to appropriately mastered albums. essentially the ipod generation will have a higher rate of hearing loss than the generations before them.
>>
>>71635806
this is a good meme
>>
>>71635913
It's pretty fucked.

How it goes is when one has hearing damage from say a loud concert or putting their headphones too loud, like ever kid with those apple ear-buds did growing up, if they're anything like me. They're losing their frequency range, I believe. I have no evidence to back this up but I do believe it's how the ear works.

We're born with 20-20k hertz range, but I imagine we're losing from 20k downwards, leaving us with like a 20-15hertz range or something like that.

As with old people, they can't hear 20k hertz. But I imagine nowa-days most young people can't either, even though they should have perfect hearing.
>>
i enjoy the liudness wars, i fucking hate having to turn up the volume in my cellphone
>>
>>71635967
Kids ought to be taught at a young age about their ears and how to prevent hearing loss, as little kids have iphones and stuff now-a-days.
>>
>>71635997
>listening to music through phone speakers
anyone who does this should be gassed
>>
>>71635967
well yes, the longer people use in ear headphones like the airpods, combined with the loud levels they listen at, hearing loss is 100% guaranteed.

as far as the frequency we have (20 hz to 20 khz), as humans we naturally lose the top end in the first 25 years or so of our lives. most people by age 25 can only hear up to 16-17 khz. so preserving that 16-17 khz is the natural goal since losing that top end is normal/how humans work.
>>
>>71635812
>tfw there are still people who don't listen to 24/96 needledrops of new releases
>>
>>71635551
something about dynamics, hearing a wider range of sounds and playing nicer with good speakers
>>
>>71636083
you need dat dik sucked? :0
>>
>>71635531
I don't know why but the phrase "Google that shit" bothers me now. Maybe it's /pol/s fault.
>>
>>71635997
People should use players with automatic gain control and replaygain on stereos

I know that music used to be mastered to sound good on AM radio but I can't help but feel that self-described """audiophile""" Steve Jobs helped ruin music by equipping iPhones with such shitty DACs
>>
>>71635531
I honestly don't mind a song having "modern" mastering as long as the music doesn't has noticeable distortion or the high frequencies hurt my ears. Some do and it is pretty annoying to look up a torrent with a decent vinyl rip so the tracks sound more natural but is not common so I think is far from killing music.
>>
>>71636193
>Not buying special ear-plugs

it's what some of the DJs do . Funny how they won't subject them selves to shit they subject their audience to.
>>
Music is better when it's loud IMO. Older songs aren't mixed in a way that most people enjoy, you gotta use a mixer or add a lot of low end for them to sound good in a modern setting.

It's annoying how light the bass is on old albums. "remastering" basically means we added a ton of low end and compressed some stuff.
>>
>>71636267
WHAT
>>
>>71636267
On my vintage 80's Technics receiver """old""" songs have just the right amount of bass, it's only the modern chink-made audio garbage people use that makes them sound bad
>>
File: newts.gif (646KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
newts.gif
646KB, 320x240px
>teenage wannabe audiophile sees the youtube video about the loudness war and pretends he can hear the difference on his $30 headphones and YT's audio compression
>immediately posts about it here as if he's made some grand revelation
Clockwork
>>
that's why I only buy vinyls
>>
>>71636348
>vinyls
>>
>>71636348
most CDs will sound better than their equivalent vinyl
>>
File: 1459707820178.jpg (190KB, 2051x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1459707820178.jpg
190KB, 2051x1024px
>artist's catalog is spread across different labels, with different reissues from different years/decades yielding wildly inconsistent mastering
>>
>>71636382
Vinylses are often better mastered
>>
File: 1432259490310.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1432259490310.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>71636417

This shit is the worst. Also

>album is finally reissued in vinyl
>by Plain Recordings/4 Men With Beards/1972
>>
>>71636454
vinyls are sometimes better mastered. often they use the exact same masters for both, and CDs are easier to rip cleanly
>>
>>71636500

Sure, why the fuck would you rip a modern vinyl release if the digital is already there
>>
File: 1462866263916.jpg (7KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
1462866263916.jpg
7KB, 316x202px
>>71636481
>vinyl exclusive bonus tracks
>>
>>71635806
>b-b-but he doesn't master it
>his productions are all like that by coincidence
>>
>>71636574
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4TbfUcN5-o
>>
>>71635531
If you just found out about this, I'd like to welcome you to the wide world of recorded music.
>>
>>71636125
people chose and continue to choose bottom dollar 3 year old hardware in their phones, you cannot blame steve jobs for taking advantage of retarded consumers.
>>
>>71636561
they're the best thing though

>mfw the extended intro on Motherfucker = Redeemer 2 and George Bush track on vinyl version of Yanqui UXO
>>
File: 1421770291433.jpg (52KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
1421770291433.jpg
52KB, 640x430px
>tfw Sound Check

>>71636125
>People should use players with automatic gain control and replaygain on stereos

this
>>
>>71635551
Loss of clarity, loss of punch and dynamics, more fatiguing than dynamic sound.

That said, I think theres a nice middleground. At this point, music is being brickwalled just to hit a -7 to -6 db average, it isnt limited so sound fuller or harder or for any aestetich reason other than hitting a "radio standard" of -6db.
>>
File: doctor.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
doctor.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>71636125
>equipping iPhones with such shitty DACs

Until ~2011 iPhones had far and away the best DACs on any flagship smartphone, and even today they are (objectively, according to measurements) among the best
>>
>>71637380
too bad they're not like that anymore, making the iPhones very little reason to be a better option than any other Android phone, sound-wise.
>>
>>71637380
>Until 2011
>Steve Jobs dies in 2011

Am I blaming him for nothing, then? My 1st gen Touch had god-tier sound from the Wolfson DAC, but the iPod Classic was terrible and my gf's iPhone 4 was middling at best
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.