[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will rock music still be profitable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 摇滚藏獒.png (810KB, 1012x1012px) Image search: [Google]
摇滚藏獒.png
810KB, 1012x1012px
Remember in the 80s when people said "rock is dead" by then a few years later there was shit like Guns 'n' Roses and Whitesnake in the mainstream? Well people have been saying that since probably 2010 and no band had filled that void yet.

I mean you could argue Coldplay, Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons are filling that void but that's really stretching the definition of rock. Is rock destined to be the new jazz? It will never have mainstream attention again and only used as elements of maybe a hip hop or pop song?
>>
It can't be because Rock is still able to adapt itself to being modern dance music, but that depends on what you mean by 'Rock'
>>
>>71625626
I mean't that as a response to the question "Is rock destined to be the new Jazz"
>>
>>71625637
Jazz was never really popular, at least not in the way that we may see today. It's different times, the music scene was more local, so a guy like Miles Davis wasn't popular anywhere besides US and some parts of Europe. As for rock, I think that the charts are kinda of wrong rock bands are still popular, I think that because rock music shifted from being a single oriented genre to an album oriented genre the charts wouldn't reflect their sucess. By the way, just to spark a little more discussion, I think that with the recents albums like Anti, Lemonade and Views, we are experiencing a new resurgence of the studio album in the popular crowd.
>>
>>71625499
AM has 400m plays on youtube for a single
what r u talking about
>>
>>71625743
And they were supposed to be "indie"
>>
>>71625743
oh shid I forgot about teh arctic monkeys and maybe fun. or foster the people or all that other tumblr-y bands
>>71625626
So all the modern succesful mainstream rock bands now are doing what you said? I mean coldplay could be an edm group and I cpuldnt tell the difference
>>71625733
Oh yeah I forgot to mention when/if dadrock stop being popular so we wont see that eagles compilition or meatloaf etc. Actually you're roght about jazz, I feel like a lot of people mistake its popularity with traditional pop music that was popular in the 50s and 60s that had elements of big band but yeah jazz was never really popular
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-17-10-16-02.png (86KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17-10-16-02.png
86KB, 480x800px
>>71625800
Backing it up what I was saying about rock music being an album genre, if you look at the Billboard Album Charts, a lot of rock acts start to apear
>>
>>71625800
>>71625733
Vat. Jazz was at the center of popular music for almost 40 years before the rock revolution of the 1960s swept it away.
>>
>>71625910
Okay, I was wrong Metallica is the only rock stuff in the album charts, but second place is pretty impressive for a metal album
>>
>>71625926
In the northern US and California (and some parts of Europe like Paris and London). The popularity of jazz were people going to jazz bars nothing more than that, jazz musicians wasn't stars or anything like that.
>>
>>71625733
I mean honestly If Neofolk and Zydeco are still things then I find it pretty hard to believe that it wouldn't be. There are A LOT more niche genres then rock or jazz very much alive.
>>
>>71625499
are Tame Impala and Vampire Weekend not rock?
>>
>>71625910
That Bruno Mars album is pretty lit
>>
>>71625972
>>71625926
The bulk of jazz's popularity happened in the 1920s-40s before sales of recorded music exceeded sales of sheet music.
>>
>>71625927
The album debut at number 1 before though
>>
Stretching the definition of rock is kind of inevitable. The beatles were a lot different from elvis, whitesnake was a lot different from pink floyd, these are just ten year differences too. Pop music adapts as needed
>>
>>71627629
pop

pretty bad pop too
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.