[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /mu/, was it really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

File: 12343fwqe.jpg (17KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
12343fwqe.jpg
17KB, 288x175px
So /mu/, was it really that bad?
>>
>>71625284
eh

there's like five-or-so genuinely good nu-metal albums

but they don't redeem the whole genre
>>
>>71625284
Worse than you can imagine.
>>
not really
>>
Nu metal is like glam metal, that red-headed stepchild that the metal community disowns.
>>
Looking back, yeah it was.
>>
>>71625304
>>71626173
Why?
>>
No. Most hip hop isnt any better.
>>
It's an easy genre to hate on, but when you go back and listen to albums by Link Park, Korn, Disturbed, Slipknot etc. they're actually pretty well written and produced.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (146KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
146KB, 1520x1080px
there's a couple new metal songs i like but it's definitely just nostalgia taking over. there's no way that korn's "blind" is a good song but i still enjoy it like when i was 8 years old
>>
>>71626202
WA AH AH AH AH
>>
>>71626202
>they're actually pretty well written and produced

Brickwalling is not good production.
>>
>>71625284
Yes, it was
>>
File: Korn-Follow_The_Leader-Frontal.jpg (154KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
Korn-Follow_The_Leader-Frontal.jpg
154KB, 953x953px
>>71626318
>implying this album doesnt have fantastic production
>>
>>71626318
Every album did that in the early 00s, though.
>>
>>71626424
Yes and it was shit that ruined an entire generation of bands.
>>
>>71626420
>using the word fantastic
>>
File: Cover.jpg (62KB, 430x430px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
62KB, 430x430px
>>71626430
I hate brickwalling, but I'm not going to say that an album like pic related is badly produced just because it's brickwalled.
>>
Nu metal got popular because it enabled lazy shit bands who didn't have to play anything but chords tuned down to G to be s00per heavy.
>>
>>71625284
It was embarrising for metal and hip hop very hard to take either one of the genres serious once nu-metal sprang up both were already tainted, nu-metal was just a swift kick to the face
>>
>>71626445
(you)
>>
Nu metal is a complete degeneration from groove metal, which itself was already a devolution from thrash, combined with wigger syncopation in lieu of actual riffs. Worse yet, it appropriated stylistic elements from hip hop with no valuable commentary to offer, instead expressing little more than teen angst and boneheaded recalcitrant aggression. Granted, this was all extremely profitable due to its appeal for boneheaded suburban teens.
>>
>>71626684
Just like hair metal, except at least those guys could actually play.
>>
>>71626708
Yes. Hair metal got rid of underground metal bands' politics and turned it into mindless ditties about partying on Sunset Strip. But you're correct that nu metal is still worse in the sense that most hair metal guys _were_ good musicians, in fact 80s metal was probably the pinnacle of guitar playing before the diluted groove/nu metal era happened.
>>
>>71626684
All that we could forgive if only they didn't also brickwall the crap out of it. The late 90s-early 2000s was an absolutely dismal time for album production.
>>
I mean, shit, pop punk also totally degenerated during this time from its 80s-early 90s roots.

>go from Bad Religion to Simple Plan
>>
>>71626891
Technically pop punk goes back to British Invasion shit like early Who, but w/e.
>>
>>71626891
But again, most of those bands had politics. By the late 90s, pop punk had been mutilated into generic manufactured radio songs about skateboarding and teenage romance.
>>
>>71626160
that's kinda why i like it, i never got hugely into metal

and i'm for all kinds of degeneration desu
>>
>>71626913
Yeah I agree with Christgau that the young, Mod-era Who were better than the corny, bloated stadium rock they turned into in the 70s.
>>
Nu-metal is not worse than metal bands who unironically "sing" about satan and darkness.
>>
I remember being 15 and thinking how boring today's bands were and why don't they play cool solos like the 70s anymore. So now I can see why Millenials failed to take up the torch of rock, because bands like Nickelback and Simple Plan never made any kid want to pick up a guitar.
>>
Let The Bodies Hit The Floor is not my idea of listenable music.
>>
>>71627144
you srs there's billions of little shits wanting to be that guy who plays wonderwall
>>
>The nu metal rap-rock scene that exploded in the late '90s is easily one of the worst trends music has ever seen. From Limp Bizkit to Linkin Park, these bands somehow took influences from some very solid acts and generated a steaming pile of audio poop. The first real official rap-rock effort was probably Run–D.M.C. and Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" but, in my opinion, the most influential band when it came to molding this genre has to be Rage Against the Machine.

>From Zach de la Rocha’s scream raps to Tom Morello's mind-blowing guitar trickery, Rage’s sound can be heard in almost every single rap-rock act that broke out on MTV in the late '90s and early 2000s. Unfortunately for us fans, they were all pretty much just paper-thin pop versions of the original formula. I do love Rage’s self-titled LP and think it’s a masterpiece in its own right, but where bands like Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, and even ICP took things made for very typical (as well as laughable) mainstream music.

>After seeing the crowd at the Rage Against Machine reunion at Coachella a few years back it dawned on me how horrible things had really gotten. Most of the fans were aggressive frat douches who were only attracted to the aggression of the music and nothing more. They had no interest in the message of the music, all they cared about was screaming "Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me!" just because they thought it sounded cool.
>>
My brother loves Last Resort and it's one of his favorite songs of all time, but he's a man of very very limited musical horizons.
>>
>>71626213
>guys I know it's not good, cmon don't give me a HARD time about it. it's really gay I know but m-muh nostalgia

Just say it's good and admit you like it. Fuck
>>
Also that fucker Jacoby Shaddix acts as if his band was the 2000s Led Zeppelin.
>>
some of the early nu metal was pretty gud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD0pBapR93Q

it was late 90s and 00s when it became pop-tier garbage
>>
>>71625284
A lot of it was shit but a lot of it was great. Limp Bizlit for example.

Say what you want about nu metal but it was basically the last time a genre other than pop was actually exciting and had good stuff coming out in the mainstream.
>>
>>71627259
It hadn't been totally ruined by commercialization at that point.
>>
>>71627266
>Limp Bizkit
>good
You must be 18 to use this website.
>>
It was pretty great. People just don't like the musicians behind it
>>
>>71627144
I think the problem is the lack of new innovative ideas. Every metal group ran Pantera's sound into the ground the way blues musicians ran Stevie Ray Vaughan's sound into the ground.
>>
File: img (19).png (246KB, 378x412px) Image search: [Google]
img (19).png
246KB, 378x412px
I think nu-metal is mostly hated by those edgelords metalheads who always have to feel like they have superior taste in music. Most of the nu-metal is listenable and likeable for most normies and liking what normies like doesnt really make you cool badass deep guy with different-than-the-majority taste in music
>>
>>71627285
You're right. They weren't good. They were amazingly great. Far better than 95% of the music posted on /mu/, in all aspects.

Also it's the under 18s who don't like LB. They still haven't grown out of the "eww I'm embarrassed about the things I liked cause I was still an edgy kid just a few years ago" phase
>>
>>71627285
that's nonsense m8, wes had the best riffs in the genre unless you count RATM
>>
>>71627346
Get off of /mu/, Fred Durst.
>>
Not as bad to be honest, but eh... it was hella cringy.
>>
Wes Borland was a gifted guitarist whose skills were unfortunately wasted with Fred's garbage lyrics.
>>
>>71627344
>Most of the nu-metal is listenable and likeable for

Not with all the brickwalling it's not.
>>
>>71627358
that's not necessarily a bad thing mind you
i mean xiu xiu is cringy, they'd be totally boring if they weren't
>>
better than most stuff thats circlejerked here for sure
>>
Deftones considered nu metal? I still think they hold up
>>
>>71627199
>Tom Morello's mind-blowing guitar trickery
Lol. He actually wrote this with a straight face

>>71627442
Not really, no.
>>
first soulfly album, cleansing from prong, wisconsin death strip from static x, roots from sepultura, first two coal chamber albums, first korn album, all decent alt metal sound.

it wasn't until after korns follow the leader did numetal get all whiney a shitty.
>>
>>71627678
oh, ld50 was decent as well. but i feel like a lot of these bands while were actually nu metal, they often dont get recognized in the same genre or movement as lincoln park, limp bizkit, slipknot, etc
>>
I don't see deftones in the OPic.

No, it wasn't that bad. Tool, deftones, Rage, System, they all had good albums that can still hold up. And when you strip away the nu-metalness, there are other lesser known bands that made legit good songs like Relative Ash and on Taproot's first album. Also, Slipknot and Mudvayne had some good moments.
>>
>>71626823
>>71626955
>>71627199
>le music is so much better when you shoehorn marxist indoctrination into it :^)
>>
>>71627678
Wisconsin Death Trip has such distinct sounds, definitely a highlight of the time.
>>
>>71627732
>relative ash

i probably saw them 6 times in a couple years time. there was a local band called factory 81 who did a tour with them.

i feel like a lot of what you've mentioned and the stuff i've mentioned here
>>71627678
>>71627727

have a more direct slamming sound you would find in a lot of the hardcore of the same time frame, or were influenced by bands like vision of disorder, quicksand, snapcase, crown of thornz, madball etc.

its such a stretch to put these bands with shit like korn and lincoln park, p.o.d. yet they are absolutely nu metal
>>
I wouldn't equate Mudvayne with a band like Limp Bizkit or Dope.

Yeah they're nu-metal but they had more integrity than "KEEP ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN" and "EVERYTHING SUCKS I'M GOING TO JUMP OFF THIS PICNIC BENCH AND DO A 360 HEEL GRAB"
>>
I DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE
>>
File: Sevendust_animosity.jpg (476KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Sevendust_animosity.jpg
476KB, 1280x1280px
>>71627732
I really liked this album
>>
I'm glad it died
>>
>nu metal
https://youtu.be/V-sYWaOrLdI
>>
>>71627759
I had a Factory 81 album too... I picked it up without knowing much of anything about them, it just looked so nu-metal, which I was into as a youngster.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaaXWfZc0To
>>
>>71627810
i always thought their sound was closer to what was going on with metalcore ala poison the well, from autumn to ashes, atreyu than it was to other nu metal
>>
Without numetal, we wouldn't have good bands like Breaking Benjamin or Shinedown. They kind of rose from the ashes of numetal
>>
>>71627634
Notice he didn't suggest Tom Morello was a virtuoso, just a guy who was exceptionally creative with guitar sounds. Which is true.

Anyone who figures out that this might sound interesting is, at the very least, creative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kwc-bxW0g
>>
I wish Tom Morello would just move to Cuba already and live out his communist cosplay fantasies.
>>
IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE DAYS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIMjxWqT6U
>>
>>71628170
you think he'd do that, just give away everything capitalism/corporatism gave to him for an idea he himself doesn't believe in?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.