[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many people on /mu/ actually know how to play an instrument?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 8

File: aid558429-728px.jpg (61KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
aid558429-728px.jpg
61KB, 728x546px
How many people on /mu/ actually know how to play an instrument?
>>
>>71620191
I do.

I've been playing guitar for 12+ yeas, and started dabbling in ukulele recently too
>>
>>71620191
anyone can play guitar
>>
I've played guitar for ten years and I'm so bored and sick of it.
>>
>>71620191
i play a lot of qwerty during my sparetime
>>
>>71620191
why is his finger red what happen to him?
>>
i'm a piano player i have been for 30 years
check out my chops
https://eddieeight.bandcamp.com
>>
Classical piano for 17 years
>>
>>71620191
I play piano and saxophone
A little bit of oboe but I'm pretty poopy at it
>>
>>71620203
my musical buddy plays uke, and can do a great version of somewhere over the rainbnow by that fat guy as well as some sublime and john mayer
>>
File: AAAAAAAAA.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAA.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>71620211
FAT
>>
i never learned how to play a instrument.

feel way too fucking old to start learning one
>>
I play guitar and bass
>>
>>71620191
Classical piano for two years.
>>
>>71620286

Your age has nothing to do with it. If you want to learn, then learn.
>>
drums for 11 years
>>
I play electric guitar for 5 years. Love playing metal songs, but unfortunatelly, my amplifier isn't working right now

Also, I was feeling very sick of it a few months ago, when it was still working. Life is really ironical
>>
>>71620211
Anyone can play basic chords and progressions on any instrument*
>>
>>71620191
guitar for 12 years
Bass for 6
drums for 5
piano for 3

tryna get some kinda wind or bowed swag next
>>
>>71620191
I'm decent at saxpohone and absolute dogshit at piano and guitar. Playing music is bretty fun desu. I was in my high school jazz band.
>>
Guitar and piano mostly, along with classical vocal training.
>>
Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, ukulele, piano, and singing, but that doesn't count as an "instrument"
>>
self-taught guitar for 6 or 7 years, classically trained with voice for 6 years, piano for 4 and saxophone for 5

I also learnt pure theory for a few years and dabbled in some composition and music theory/history units later in uni

now I make trap beats
>>
>>71620444
what do you recommend for someone trying to get better at singing other than doing it every single day
>>
Yup.
Music Performance degree for Orchestral tuba, soon to be masters student. Learned every other brass instrument but suck ass at french horn.
Guitar for 10 years
Proficient at ukulele
Dabble in piano
>>
File: haha.png (8KB, 98x81px) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
8KB, 98x81px
i know how to play bass and trumpet
>>
>>71620564
Sing Bach prelude and fugues for practice.

Then when you get comfortable with the intervals, sing Hanon. You'll be amazing.

Also long tones.
>>
I'm a hack guitarist, bassist, and vocalist, but I have done all three in bands with some success, which is all I shoot for.
>>
>>71620621
shit that IS really good advice
>>
File: IMG_0335.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0335.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>71620607
Just realized i have all of it within one shot so heres my equipment I guess.
>Miraphone 181 F tuba
>Schecter Blackjack C7 w/passive Duncans
>Gretsch Jazz Box
>Lanikai Concert Soprano Uke
>Yamaha who gives a fuck keyboard that I only use the Hammond B3 sound on.
>>
>>71620543
what do you listen to anon? do you feel like you could learn even more instruments in the future?
>>
>>71620191
I play guitar, piano, flute, and to a lesser extent, bass and banjo. I've been playing piano since I was around 5 and I got my first guitar for my 11th birthday. I played flute in the school band. I used to really like playing guitar and piano but I kinda stopped playing as much. As I am with anything, I lack the drive and patience to get really good at playing an instrument.
>>
playing guitar was my full time job for a few years until it went away, now i just jerk off and play as a hobby
>>
>>71620617
best meme combo.
>>
>>71620933
thnx bud
>>
>>71620191
I play piano, drums, and I sing
but I'll never be able to play guitar, fuck that shit
>>
Piano, upright bass, electric bass and hammer dulcimer
>>
I know how to play a didgeridoo. Does that count?
>>
File: Recorder.jpg (33KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Recorder.jpg
33KB, 900x900px
Learned how to play this bad boy
>>
>>71620211
Anyone can play guitar. But not many people can actually play the guitar well.
Any retard can learn three chords and strum an acoustic.
>>
>>71621127
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWwfWaWuaE
>>
I can play my DAW hehe xD btfo'd
>>
I play the didgeridoo and am a classical composer
>>
>>71620395
My nigga. I'm probably better than you tho
>>
drumset and trombone for 8 years a piece
some basic guitar and keys shit
sang in a few punk bands does that count
>>
>>71621246
show us proof niqqa
>>
>>71620191
I took drum lessons when I was like 12, but then my teacher touched some kids and hadn't seen a teacher since. I honestly don't know much, but I've always learned by ear from stuff I listen to.
>>
I only play like 3 really popular instruments competently and 2 other instruments shittily.
>>
>>71620276
UGLY
>>
>>71620222
hes dead
>>
>>71620191
Instruments are why I started browsing /mu/

/trombone/ and bassist here
>>
>>71620264
Neat
>>
>>71620366
Ryo Fukui didn't learn piano until he was 22 and in just a few years he recorded "Scenery". It's never too late to start.
>>
>>71621349
DEAD
>>
>>71621484
DECOMPOSED
>>
I play the triangle on a math rock band
>>
>>71621693
>trigonometry rock
>>
I can play the clarinet, it's a pretty useless skill now but I'll brag about it anyway
>>
>>71620425
you cant play chords on any instrument that can only play one note at any given time (e.g. any woodwind or brass instrument)
>>
Guitarist here. Currently playing in a band that is gaining momentum.

Feels good man.
>>
>>71622030
okay squidward
>>
>upright and electric bass
>guitar
>djembe & bongos
>mandolin
>tin whistle
I also own a 5 string banjo, but I'm not that good and never practice it. But I can carry a tune in the key of G pretty well.
>>
I play the flute. Not really any good at it, though.
>>
>>71620191
I can play:

Guitar
Bass
Saz
Drums
Ukulele
and cello/double bass

Ive been trying to teach myself piano recently but you really need to know theory to make anything great on it, and I know no theory : (
>>
Organist for 17 years bb. Plus guitar but I'm whatever at it.
>>
>>71620191
Trumpet for 15 years now
Guitar for 5
Piano for 3
Bass for 2
Kinda wish I'd picked up other instruments sooner
>>
File: 1472265896215.jpg (18KB, 337x587px) Image search: [Google]
1472265896215.jpg
18KB, 337x587px
>>71620276
>>71621349
>>71621484
>>
Been self-teaching guitar for a year. Mostly playing spanish classical stuff, but studying jazz theory.
>>
File: DSC_0129.jpg (1MB, 2896x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0129.jpg
1MB, 2896x1944px
Trumpet and these two little thing in pic related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAMT5YAsyaY

Roast me, I can take it
>>
>>71624095

are you in Paris?
>>
>>71623178
what's the band called anon?
>>
>>71620191
i know how to play a lot of these things, and with trial and error, you could too
>>
i can play drums (double kick is the best) and play a few chords on the guitar
>>
Play piano (only classical), played guitar for a few years, played drums for a little bit, and I have a sax which I would like to play but can't find the time.

Having learned sheet music to play piano it seems that sight reading for saxophone would be pretty simple so I really ought to have a go at it.
>>
>>71620191
guitar player of 10 years and i've been playing bass for a similar amount of time
>>
>>71620191
fiddle player here for 11 months
>>
>>71620191
Classical cello 5 years. Would like to get into it again, but im still saving up for a cello.
>>
classical piano for 13 years
>>
>>71620222
Too many barre-chords.
>>
piano for 12 years
drums for 10 years
guitar for 6 years
bass for 4 years
>>
>>71620191
I play the orchestra.
>>
>>71625282
The Cocksuckers
>>
>>71620213
get a nylon string or a banjo. change up your tuning. make it different enough to hold your interest again but still maintain all the skills youve got
>>
Guitar 9+ years, Piano just over a year. Already enjoying piano a lot more than I ever did guitar.
>>
>>71620191
I'm a classically trained bassist and I can get by on piano
>>
I play my penis
>>
Guitar 8 years. I've had only one year of formal training tho, and I haven't gotten any better after the third year or so.
>>
Guitar on/off for 3 years.

Know a lot of techniques, some scales and fingers glide across the board ok, but I still don't understand anything about actually making music.
>>
>>71620191
Guitar for 15 piano for 12 trumpet,violin viola chello bass for 10, sax and flute for 8, trumpet for 7.
>>
>>71624260
my boy trumpet is fucked you missed the best brass instrument, miles is probs your peak shouldve done sax
>>
I don't understand this notion of 'mastering' an instrument.

When I was 15 I literally found an old guitar in the attic and started recording random shit through my laptop microphone. Eventually that random shit became more deliberate ("hmm, these notes seem to go together") and then I just kept re-recording over it until it sounded like a song. I had NO FUCKING IDEA what I was playing, but I forced the instrument to sound the way I wanted it to.

I've listened to music my whole life (as I assume all of you have as well) and I already know what music is when I hear it. So I just played some shit on the guitar until something grabbed me, and I just laid down. Then you go back and refine, record over it, add some more melody and additional layers/flourishes. Voila. I've now been playing guitar for 10 years and some of the shit I made in my first year is better than the shit I write now... it came from a more sincere/genuine place.
>>
>>71620191
played saxophone in middle/high school for 6 years, was pretty good despite literally never practicing at home ended up being 1st chair alto in the jazz band my sr year. felt like i wasnt good/passionate about it to continue playing in college and i kind of regret not sticking with it desu

picked up the guitar when i was 16 started out by playing covers of creep/everlong/wonderwall etc standard stuff but after like a year got bored of that and started just noodling around and coming up with my own stuff. have done that practically everyday for the past 8 years and id like to think im pretty good now and have developed my own style or at least one that i identify with. a few months ago decided i wanted to actually share my stuff with other people and started singing and writing lyrics, im still working on it but its pretty fun desu i think im gonna get into releasing stuff and performing live this summer
>>
File: Charlie-Kaufman.jpg (305KB, 2046x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Charlie-Kaufman.jpg
305KB, 2046x1536px
>>71620191
I play like 5 instruments but i'm not insanely good at any of them.

I've been playing guitar for 10 years, but i can't play any fast solos, i can't do tremolo picking, in fact i can't use a pick because it always slips out of my hand. So i developed some weird style of playing using my fingers, this is probably also part of why i love The Microphones so much, because Phil plays the guitar in weird ways too. So i feel like i'm okay doing that.

Been playing Piano for 6 years, i'm not insanely good, i was thinking of taking lessons, i'm 24 already though and there's no way i'll ever get to a master piano players level. You need to start playing during childhood for that and practice 6h daily

Been playing strings for 3 years. My history with guitar actually makes it way easier to play for me than one might think. The only thing i really had to learn was to angle the bow correctly. I bought a cello 3 years ago because i wanted to compose classical pieces and just multi track record them, to some day produce them, and the Cello has a pretty great range across octaves so you can more or less play multiple instruments parts on one. Of course the timbre is a bit different. Like i said, it's more for composing purposes.

Thinking of buying a violin next..

I play Ukulele but it doesn't really count since it's basically just a fucking guitar, might as well throw bass in there while i'm at it, which is actually the instrument i started with, but as a solo musician the bass wasn't expressive enough for me so i moved on to guitar. I still love bass though and i still have 2.

My mother gifted me a flute and piccolo, i'm still getting the hang of it

/blog
>>
>>71627935
Are you me? I pretty much learned to play guitar by just composing on it after learning a few songs i like initially. Now i'm pretty good
>>
>>71628100
Same, for a while i was like "why learn and play other people's music when i could just come up with my own", and purposely avoided learning covers for years. the sense of discovery in composing was just super fulfilling and although looking back i kind of cringe at myself for having that mentality i feel like it definitely made me a better player because now learning covers and jamming with other people is super easy because i have a pretty innate sense of the instrument and a lot of the stuff is a variation of something i stumbled across while noodling around or if it's new it "makes sense" to me
>>
>>71620191
It takes like, 5 minutes to learn scales on an instrument . Either I'm a savant or becoming basically proficient at any instrument is no big deal.
>>
>>71620191
French horn, A little bit of trombone, and ukulele. I also sing decently, but that doesn't really count.
>>
>>71628233
dude, I've been playing guitar for 10 years and I'm still never really 'covered' anyone else's material.

I personally hate cover versions of songs so that plays a huge part of it, I also hate the idea of removing the veil where it's like "oh, that's all they're doing?" because I would hate for somebody to have that moment while learning one of my songs. Guitar playing is so deliberate, like there's so little that you can do to differentiate yourself from other players, so those little details are SO important.

Same thing for me though, coming up with different variations of melodies until you find the right one is such a great exercise and definitely helps for future jamming with other players.
>>
>>71620286
Learning an instrument is way easier than learning a language. There's no expiration date to learning music.
>>
>>71627935
>played saxophone in middle/high school for 6 years, was pretty good despite literally never practicing at home ended up being 1st chair alto in the jazz band my sr year. felt like i wasnt good/passionate about it to continue playing in college and i kind of regret not sticking with it desu
Me exactly
>>
(Melodica for 22)
Drums for 20
Bass for 16
Piano for 10

I'm pretty bad at all of em though.
A dregree in music just helped me realize how hard i suck.
>>
>>71628264
>Guitar playing is so deliberate, like there's so little that you can do to differentiate yourself from other players, so those little details are SO important.
Do you sing? I've come to realize that singing and coming up with lyrics is such a huge way of differentiating yourself from other guitar players imo. I've only been doing it myself for a few months and my voice and lyrics still need work but they're MINE and I'm definitely getting a feel for what style i like and am comfortable with.
Not only is singing while playing actually hard as fuck and a nice challenge, vocals and lyrics also add another compositional layer to the creative process, I'm having a blast
Also i feel like it makes me a more complete and independent artist for when i finally decide to perform and release music if that makes any sense
>>
>>71620607
It's okay even most horn players suck at horn.
>>
>>71628512
how is there one for learning a language?
>>
>>71628755
yeah man, I sing too.
Lyrics definitely help set yourself apart if you write like it's poetry (but a lot of pop music has really simple lyrics, so it's not always the case), but I'd say more what you're referring to is the phrasing of it all. Lining your words up with your playing lets you find this dope little pocket where you can really express yourself as an individual.

But from day 1 I had no intention of being a "guitar player", I just wanted to make music. I'd play one line on guitar and be like "ok, that's cool, now what's next" y'know? Even when noodling on guitar now, I hear strings accompanying me or other guitar parts in my head. That's why I could never be a guitar player, I just use whatever I can to get the ideas out of my head, and I happen to find the guitar a beautiful instrument. My style is to really try to use all 6 strings at all times, with the low end being its own section and the high end working out melodies. I love letting strings ring out to create tension and such. The guitar is so versatile that it's allowed to dabble in so many different genres while maintaining my own 'style' so to speak.

Sounds like you're really starting to carve out your own sound though, man. Keep it up! Record your ideas, even crudely on your phone or whatever. Just don't let that energy escape you, because I used to be able to write/record/produce an entire song in a night. Now I labour over songs for months, even years... it fucking blows.
>>
Been playing upright bass for 12 years
Electric for 10
Guitar for 6

Granted I'm utter shit at guitar and can really only play slide
>>
Been playing flute since I was about 6. I can can also play the saxophone, the uilleann pipes (it's an Irish instrument) and the tin whistle. I've recently started dabbling in the guitar but I'm not very good at it.
>>
guitar - 9yrs
bass-8yrs
double bass- 3
violin- 2
drums- 2
viola-6 mnths

practice 4hrs daily already, all i can think about is buying a harp
kill me now
>>
Violin only 2 months kekotopo
>>
>>71628233
>because i have a pretty innate sense of the instrument and a lot of the stuff is a variation of something i stumbled across while noodling around or if it's new it "makes sense" to me

This just comes from experience. I feel the same way whenever I play a new song, and I'm classically trained.
>>
Played the piano for 18+ years, haven't heavily practiced for several years, so I'm a bit rusty. Wish to learn a new instrument, or music composing and production.
>>
I'm trying to learn violin by myself for about 2 years now. Maybe in 15 years I'll do actual vibrato.
>>
I play 4 instruments guitar piano mandolin and ukulele
>>
>>71631167
do you have a disability? you do vibrato at the first year!

im already training to do vibrato at month 2
>>
>>71631391
well I may be taking too long, and do not practice that much, but training vibrato at month 2 is way too early. You'll never get it right unless you got all your fundamentals down really really really early early. You need to be bery relaxed, almost no tension in any part of the violin.
>>
>>71620191
Drums, self taught, 13 years of practice. 1 year of mixing edm as a dj (this was when I had pleb taste). Singing but only in a group since my voice falls under bass and there are no songs I know featuring bass vocals.
>>
What constitutes knowing how to play an instrument?

Like I can play a good amount of stuff on the guitar, none of which I've written, but I can nonetheless play it. I noodle a lot which sometimes sounds good, but usually doesn't sound refined in any way. I don't know much about theory, but I know enough to be able to play stuff in key, so almost no theory.

I never tell people I know how to play the guitar, but sometimes I tell them I CAN play the guitar, like if you gave me something to learn I'd be able to play it fairly quickly, but I wouldn't necessarily know why it works.
>>
>>71623209
all of squidwards playing was actually recorded with a soprano sax tho
>>
>>71631391
>but training vibrato at month 2 is way too early.
why not, the training is really easy only glissendos and thats all and Nathan Cole from YT teach me i only need to collapse my finger i found it pretty easy
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.