[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Father John Misty anyone? I need more information.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: johmisty.jpg (27KB, 712x400px) Image search: [Google]
johmisty.jpg
27KB, 712x400px
Thoughts on Father John Misty anyone?
I need more information.
>>
File: fucking.jpg (27KB, 960x582px) Image search: [Google]
fucking.jpg
27KB, 960x582px
>>71619678
>>
>>71619678
Nu-male who makes music for nu-males
>>
Fleet Foxes new single > the whole of his career (apart from maybe one song)
>>
>>71619678
poster boy for shitty nu-male ironic "indie" music
>>
i saw him on SNL and couldn't figure out if he was really "feelin" it or if it was all just a dramatic put-on
>>
I like some of his music but he comes off as really pretentious
>>
apparently he grew up under some jewish christian cult and gave him ptsd.
anyway he makes good music but hes a proud pretentious asshole

pure comedy sucked sadly
>>
Obnoxious stereotype who uses unoriginal unfunny persona to distract from the fact that he is an utterly talentless songwriter
If it wasn't for Pitchfork he would have nothing
>>
File: father-john-misty-51f1d6c3504f9.jpg (216KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
father-john-misty-51f1d6c3504f9.jpg
216KB, 1000x1000px
Best active folk singer rn. People don't care about his music though and judge him on his character.

Did the new album leak yet?
>>
should've stayed with fleet foxes so they could have put out two albums since helplessness by now
>>
You just KNOW
>>
>>71620354
leaked a month ago
>>
a right cunt
>>
Every lyric of his felt filtered through a 14 year old girl's iPhone, in a really shallow and bad way.
>>
>>71620193

just looked like he was spun on an edible or something
>>
I'm a big fan. Fantastic musician, singer, lyricist, showman. A lot of the hate he gets is unfounded conjecture, external to the music, and completely shallow.
>>
>>71620551
and you're 17 and an honors english major
>>
>>71620431
I think his vocabulary is just reflective of modern life. Less abstract than a lot of other folk. It's always come off as a deliberate style choice to me
>>
>>71619678
Dont listen to these cunts, OP. FJM is sorta a moniker of Josh Tillman, who projects his insecurities onto. These people might call him pretentious, but he is fairly self aware and it reflects in his rather sarcastic music

I'll explain his 3 albums, but you should give them a few spins yourself at least

Fear Fun is the debut album, and its often psychedelic and folky, almost country at times. Its not too focused, but it such a fun album you cant ignore it

I Love You Honeybear is a very lovely album. Its almost like he tries to mesh as many genres into it while also telling the overaching story of insecurity, fear, confidence, the scary thought of settling down and the comfort of finding real love that break down all the problems of the world. Best album of 2015 IMHO.

Pure Comedy is a lot better than people say. Its 75 minutes long, so obviously people haven't much time to digest since its technically not even out yet (it leaked). It goes over the comedies of life, in FJMs eyes, across a large scope. People have been criticizing it for being too pretentious and for being teenage dribble, but trust me FJM is aware of what hes presenting. The last couple songs really deal with the coping of this comedic world that he exists in, with a very hard hitting song near the end that wraps up with a hopefulness you wouldn't have expected. This album is very good, maybe not as upbeat as the last too, but very good nonetheless.
>>
>>71620628
typed from my phone sorry for the mistakes
>>
>>71620628
>it for being too pretentious and for being teenage dribble, but trust me FJM is aware of what hes presenting.
thats the issue. we get it he knows exactly what hes doing but its an incoherent mess that gives us zero closure. i got more out of skm ramblings about his transphobic redneck cousins than everything pure comedy stand for.

>with a very hard hitting song near the end that wraps up with a hopefulness you wouldn't have expected
which was?????
>>
>>71620625
I meant in a /im14andthisisdeep/ way.

It's fine to posit commentary of modern times, and adopt the lexicon in parody, but the motherfucker's so smug about it.
>>
>>71620667
"So I'm Getting Old On Magic Mountain" and "In Twenty Years Or So" are both very good to wrap it up

Magic Mountain is where he parties away all this introspection and hopeless depression. He isn't complaining about religion, or entertainment media, or humanity, or anything. He's just drinking and partying and knowingly wasting time on something he knows he's growing out of.

As for "In Twenty Years Or So"...
>But I look at you
>As our second drinks arrive
>The piano player's playing "This Must Be the Place"
>And it's a miracle to be alive
>One more time
>There's nothing to fear
>There's nothing to fear
>There's nothing to fear

In this, he's objecting to the rest of the album with these lines, saying none of that really matters. He's hopeful and in love, whats there to fear? I really like this closer
>>
>>71620628
>These people might call him pretentious, but he is fairly self aware and it reflects in his rather sarcastic music
That's my issue with his music. Being self aware of his personality coming off as pretentious doesn't excuse it. Pure Comedy has very weak lyrics and boring instrumentation (for the most part) in my opinion. The fact that it is delivered as the FJM character doesn't change that. I don't care about a musician's personal life when discussing their music. However, from what I've seen from his online posts and interviews, either he is doing an andy kaufman level of character dedication, it is not too different than the Josh Tillman. I really do like ILYHB because, even when the lyrics and instrumentation lacks occasionally, the sentiment feels very genuine. Comedy sounds like it's either a) pretentious without having the music or lyrics to back it up or b) it's a character that isn't interesting enough or different enough from Tillman to compensate for the music. I appreciate you post though for explaining your perspective really well.
>>
>>71620828
Uh oh, a little too "slice of life", the SKM posters might wrestle w themselves if they have a shred of honesty...
>>
>>71620828
both of those are my fav songs from the album besides bigger paper bag
but for myself personally i don't see it as hard hitting.
maybe i've read too many of his interviews and this album is just beyond my understanding.
i think hes a brilliant guy and hes knows a shit more about life/music than i ever will. but the records he makes especially pc are a miss for me. its not even on the frank zappa level of cynicism where its laughable. he performs it very dry like hes expecting us to understand what he means already.
then again maybe that's what our lifes are currently at and i just don't wanna hear it

thanks again tho great analysis of that song
>>
I respect his ideas on entertainment and its corrosive effect. I don't care for his music though

why did Fleet Foxes have to die bros
>>
>>71620860
Listen to some of the songs again

Pure Comedy took a while to digest for me. The songs are very different from each other with my personal favorites being the title track, A Bigger Paper Bag, and In Twenty Years Or So. I think the lyrics are very self aware. The last couple songs really tie it together as being wayyy more down to Earth than the narcissism of the last songs. If you thought ILYHB sounded genuine, maybe give this a few more spins and see how you like it. (Leaving LA is too long but he I supect that was on purpose)
>>
>>71619678

My cats name is misty. She's the best.
>>
>>71619678
good musician. people love to hate him.
>>
>>71620965
>personal favorites being the title track
that was easily my least favorite track. 2 minutes too long. it's point would be better if it was more concise or if the instrumentation was more interesting.
>I think the lyrics are very self aware.
That doesn't make them any better. There are a few exception were self awareness improves lyrics. but i think here it actually makes them more grating.
>maybe give this a few more spins and see how you like it
you liking this so much has convinced me to try it again. when i'm in the mood for the whole 75 minutes.
>>
File: hipster.png (515KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
hipster.png
515KB, 600x580px
OP here.
Would you compare him to Jeff Mangum?
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
OP here.
>>
>>71621184
No, not really.

Jeff is more of a wordsmith, while Father John is much more straight to the point

I like them both
>>
>>71621184
No. Jeff is a better lyricist and takes more risks, which normally pay off.
>>
>>71621079
Hope you like it better this time :^)

I can see how its not for everyone though.
>>
>>71621249
thanks dog.
>>
>>71621184
No I wouldn't
>>
>>71619678
Vapid
>>
>>71619678
lol just look at how he's holding that cigarette

Not to mention the fact that he's purposely holding it up so it's included in the shot

Like really dude that only works for hot girls
>>
>>71621459
dude got married though

wrote an entire album about falling in love with her, actually
>>
>>71621611
yes and?
>>
>>71621623
So he's a hot girl
>>
>>71619678

I really like Honeybear. It has its moments of humor, along with just straight up declarations of love, and any pretentious judgemental stuff is balanced with him poking fun at himself as well.

It's just neat.
>>
He's like post-post-post-post irony

Like he knows he looks like a tryhard faggot and no one takes him seriously but he still sticks to it
>>
>>71620387
Isn't he gay?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.