[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idles - Brutalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

File: mayynstrayym metoahhh.png (646KB, 841x475px) Image search: [Google]
mayynstrayym metoahhh.png
646KB, 841x475px
>"you know, this stupid ignorance toward art they're making fun of, it reminds me of someone"

paul BTFO again @ 3:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTYsVjeoe-Q

are Idles /mu/core now?
>>
PJW is a fucking pussy. He gets BTFO by a literal melon, promises to make a savage reaction like it's no big deal, then go hides away because he realized how screwed he is.
>>
JUST
>>
File: b8.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
35KB, 625x626px
>another of these threads
>>
File: 1488700559345.jpg (19KB, 439x440px) Image search: [Google]
1488700559345.jpg
19KB, 439x440px
>>71612296
P O P U L A H C U L C H A H
>>
anyone have a download for that idles album? can't find it anywhere besides spotify
>>
>>71612309
Who is it supposed to bait, exactly? /pol/fags?
>>
>>71612350
literally everyone, from my experience
>>
File: 1477680326255.png (374KB, 733x670px) Image search: [Google]
1477680326255.png
374KB, 733x670px
well THE MAINTRAIN METEERIR was always kind of shit so he isn't wrong. and the notion that 'everything can be art' is also wrong and retarded as he said.

he was just talking out of his ass when he ignored the fact that with the internet everyone gained access to almost all music ever recorded and that it fundamentally changed how people consume music.
>>
>>71612350
most /pol/fags wont even go near pjw anymore he was dumpstered that hard
>>
>/mu/ is now going full poptimist because of this guy
>>
>>71612231
>>
>>71612428
PJW criticized more than mainstream pop music. He's of that retarded ilk that think the Frankfurt School was a liberal conspiracy the nutjob
>>
File: Screencap.png (501KB, 888x610px) Image search: [Google]
Screencap.png
501KB, 888x610px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaemzKfGcoo
>>
>>71612231
i ride and die w/ dr melons. that brit is a total fucking cunt.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170316-120558.png (121KB, 1440x727px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170316-120558.png
121KB, 1440x727px
There he goes again!
>>
File: IMG_20161005_192847.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161005_192847.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
liiinnnnkkkkkkkk ppplllzzzzzzz
>>
My criticism against the "Internet has changed the musical landscape and opened up innovative music to the masses!" meme is this:

>Justin Bieber has 1.4 billion views on one video
>Your typical low/mid-sized touring band has 20k-100k views

Yes, even though we have the internet, the general population STILL just waits for radio to spoon-feed them music. It hasn't changed things that much

>muh Death Grips! Muh kendrick lamar!

Yes, it was cringey when PJW used Hospin as an example of "deep music" that is ignored by the masses. It was also cringy when Fagtano used Kendrick lamar (literal twitter-tier nigger music) as an example of "innovative non-corporate music that has sparked counter-culture.

Both of the evidence that they use for their arguments are pretty stupid, but I'd probably side with PJW over Fagtano.

It's true that there is no counter-culture. Modern music (of all genres) challenges absolutely nothing. Listening to Kendrick lamar is like reading a cheesy corporation's mission statement.

Listening to metal is like reading an edgy blog written by an autistic "satanist"

Listening to hardcore is like reading a tumblr blog by an SJW faggot

Listening to modern folk is basically like having a conversation with a self-hating hipster who recently moved to the city from the suburbs

Bluegrass is pretty cool but irrelevant

New Hip-hop (suicideboys, death grips type shit) is the new metalcore. It's gay as fuck and will be out of style in 2 years. It also has little counter-culture behind it, as it's pretty much just nihilistic ugly dudes with long hair doing an ironic thing where their sort of ghetto but not really
>>
>>71612731
>i'm a teen and my cultural horizons are limited to internet music culture and look at all the deep connections i've made and the theories i've divined

read a book dude.
>>
>>71612331
PrisonPlanet, third stone from the sun, is in danger of being hit by the MAIN STREAM METEORS
>>
>>71612824
>too lazy to refute claims so here's a strawman
>implying there is an abundance of literature/research on this topic that isn't just a big circle jerk about how great the internet is
>-r-read a book

What book faggot?

I have a bachelor's degree and I've been playing in bands for 8 years, one of them touring. I also live in a major city with a big "music scene" This is my opinion from what I have experienced, and what I have researched in relation to concert attendance, album sales, and content views.
>>
>>71612664
Why is he so obsessed with punk rock when it's just as bad message-wise as mainstream hiphop?
>>
>>71612923
KEK
>>
this is like justinrpg making fun of chris-chan
>>
>>71612731
> It was also cringy when Fagtano used Kendrick lamar (literal twitter-tier nigger music) as an example of "innovative non-corporate music that has sparked counter-culture.
He's not wrong though. Call it cringe or nigger music but he's right
>>
>>71612231
saw them the other night in birmingham. really good live.
>>
>>71613372
>he's not wrong

What exactly is kendrick Lamar challenging and what counter-culture movement has he started? When I read a corporate mission statement like Google's about anti-racism and shit like that, I don't see much difference between that and Kendrick Lamar.

Seems like artists like Kendrick Lamar are just more of the same old shit
>>
>>71613924
>innovative non-corporate music that has sparked counter-culture.
Kendrick's music is innovative compared to other mainstream hip-hop. I can hear a song off of TPAB and instantly recognize it's Kendrick's. I'm not saying he invented the jazz-rap sound but he did popularize it and make it his own.
>non-corporate
He has multiple songs bashing on consumerism. Hell, the title of his fucking album is about how corporations pimp out entertainers for their profit.
>that has sparked counter-culture
People were chanting the lyrics to 'Alright' at public protests. If that doesn't count I don't know what does.
>>
Boards that need to be deleted
>/pol/
>/tv/
>/v/
>/mu/
>/r9k/
>>
>>71612231
Is he ever going to respond or did be find it a better use of time to whine about snoop dog

I wish I was autistic or bored enough to spam his twitter with bots over this
>>
>>71614465
If we just let them stop vaccinating they'll self delete in a generation or so.
>>
>>71612339
its on deezloader
>>
>>71614465
But I like /mu/ it's a good secondary source for music and the general are comfy

The other boards have nothing of value
>>
Is everyone in /mu/ like a 15 year old?
>>
>>71614603
We're all little girls here.
>>
Conservatism is the new punk rock

Argyle sweaters are the new punk rock

My Dad is the new punk rock

Smooth Jazz is the new punk rock
>>
It always confused me how Fantano will go hard after these things but will totally court that part of his audience that are pigheadedly anti-SJW or racist for views.

Nope, some dopey northerner who doesn't like avant garde art is where he draws he line.
>>
>>71614965
Rubes gonna rube, and views are money.
Who's the cuck in all this?
>>
>>71615059
Me, t.bh
>>
>>71612731
you lost me at nigger music
>>
>>71612731
>>Your typical low/mid-sized touring band has 20k-100k views

Not even close.
>>
>>71615164
>>>/pol/
>>
>>71612923
I bet your band sucks
>>
>>71614075
>Kendrick is innovative within his genre
I'll agree there somewhat. I don't like his music overall, but I do like some of the jazzy instrumentation and the brass

>Bashes consumerism
The "anti-western values anti-consumerism" sentiment is from the 60's, and it's just worn out and tired at this point. Like I said, read through corporate mission statements and they will have a lot of that anti-consumer lingo about donating profits to certain charity and how you can work at our corporation and "do something meaningful, not just work for money" blah blah blah. It's such a stale idea that corporations literally use it as a marketing tactic at this point.
Also, the musicians who get "pimped out" by big business want to be pimped out. It's 4 song writers and 1 producer in LA who writes everything and some brand-name top 40 people who are dying to get pimped out. Nobody is a "victim" to that shit.

>people are chanting his stuff at protests
A bunch of millennial faggots LARPing like they are 1960's civil rights activists in 2016/2017. Most protesters are just chanting shit you'd find on corporate mission statements. Things like "anti-consumerism", "Anti-racism", "anti-homophobia". Those have become such old and worn out ideas that corporations have actually picked them up and sold them back to this type of crowd.

Basically, people who "protest" these days are just LARPing like they are counter-culture, but really they ARE the dominant culture.

>>71614603
>snarky vague comment without any specific criticisms
16 year old confirmed

>>71614965
>fagtano has racist fans

Highly doubt that. But SJWs are the low hanging fruit these days (for reasons listed above)
>>
>>71615418
>1st part

You might consider that this is the case because corporations have appropriated the language of counter-culture as a marketing strategy, much as they appropriated hip irony in the late 80s and 90s. Given that, meaningful civil rights movements are almost impossible. They are dead before the hit the ground; already assimilated into the machine.

Also, Fantano almost definitely has some racist fans out of the almost 1 million subscribers he has. I don't mean he plays up to them so much as ignores them. He's quite happy to cross-fertilise with the Million Dollar Extreme Ffanbase (a fan myself), but he'll REEEE as soon as he smells the low-hanging fruit (as you say) of social justice. It's kind of pathetic. Only because he puts up this pretence of being punk when he's really just a hipster
>>
>>71615330
If you're a mid-sized touring band and you don't have 20k views on one of your most popular songs, you need to stop and go work at McDonalds

>>71615416
Not in that band anymore but it was pretty good and we had good attendance for a while

>>71615164
>bitching about getting shot while breaking the law
>"da bitch nigga ma dick"
>all look like street rats
>bitching about hard times
>Nigga we gon' be alright!
>"b-but it's shot in black and white and he's using symbolism so it's not nigger music ;'("

Nigger music with a twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY
>>
>>71615568
20k is way too low, most have 1m +.
>>
File: 1417924146265.jpg (79KB, 878x768px) Image search: [Google]
1417924146265.jpg
79KB, 878x768px
>>71612731
I like you.
>>
>>71612731
Imagine being this fucking stupid kek
>>
>>71615645
It's the worst kind of stupid. The kind that thinks it's intelligent
>>
>>71612923
>I have a bachelor's degree
What a stupid comeback

It's as if you think having gone through college somehow makes you not an idiot—which, understandably you might think is true, if you've never gone through college.
>>
>>71615530
>corporations use old Civil Rights Nostalgia as a marketing tool
>civil rights movements are almost impossible

They're impossible because they're not challenging anything. Like they have absolutely nothing to say anymore in regards to civil rights-ish type stuff. They're just cute slogans that are so tame and not-dangerous that corporations feel comfortable putting them on their mission statement page. That's why there is no counter-culture within music, nobody is challenging anything with their music anymore.

You're a bigger edgelord if you're racist than if you're anti-racist, obviously.

>MDE fans
Fantano knows that the majority of MDE are just ironic edgelords. Only a minority are seriously racist.

Sam Hyde's comedy is interesting because he's actually challenging an idea. He's making fun of 1960's civil rights nostalgia LARPers. That's why corporations (Like TBS) had to shut his fucking show down, not use his ideas on their mission statement.

That's how you know something is actually counter-culture. MDE is counter-culture.
>>
>>71615707
>Read a book isn't a stupid statement

Obviously if you sit through college, you "read a bunch of books". "Reading books" doesn't mean a lot when literature is generally another echo chamber

>>71615645
>>71615675
Imagine being this butthurt
>>
>>71615712
I didn't say "old civil rights nostalgia".

Also, your comment has no substance. Go read some real cultural critique before you mouth off the latest recycled opinions from YouTube commentators.
>>
>>71615822
>appropriated the civil rights lingo as a marketing strategy
>I call it nostalgia

What's the fucking difference? What is this "Literature" and "critique" all you faggots are talking about? Actually name some specific books or shut the fuck up

I am convinced nobody on the board actually reads books or studies ANYTHING because every rebuttal to every claim is "THAT'S STUPID U SHULD READ SUM GUD MATERIAL", then nobody replies when I ask what reading material they're referring to.
>>
>>71615881
The point is that the culture industry is, at this point, both reflective of and the authority on actual culture. That is, there is a symbiotic relationship between the culture industry and real-life trends which has gradually shifted toward the culture industry having the monopoly through the artificial challengers of professional "trend-spotters" and marketing experts.

In other words, counter-cultural trends are immediately picked up and re appropriated by the dominant culture and therefore stripping them of their counter-cultural potency. Not as some grand conspiracy, but as a necessity of a market based around trends.

If you're looking for reading material, read Dialectic of Enlightenment, or The Society of the Spectacle.
>>
>>71615989
appendage: The point being that the appropriation of civil rights is not one of "nostalgia" because its actually reflecting CURRENT trends. So, that is where you falsely represented my argument. I said nothing about PAST civil rights movements, nor nostalgia.
>>
They're both retards, and you're all fucking idiots. Including me.
>>
>>71615989
>counter culture movements are ruined before they begin because corporations capitalize on it and sell it back to the retards before it makes any difference

Yeah, I completely agree with that. But that doesn't deflate my original claim that these "civil rights movements" that crop up every once in a while aren't challenging anything. If a big business is able to pick up the ideals of the movement and sell it back to you, then it wasn't challenging anything to begin with. If the ideals were challenging culture, then they would be too divisive for a business to pick up in the first place.

That is why big businesses are not picking up "alt-right" ideals that have racist/sexist/xenophobic/homophobic overtones to them. It's too financially dangerous for a big business to try and market the "alt-right" ideals because they are divisive. There is a large market for this, but you'll also get every other business who is trying to grandstand attacking you in order to pander to the civil rights nostalgia-tier demographic.

I'll look up those books too
>>
>>71616160
Okay anon, I think we got our wires crossed. My bad, I'm pretty drunk. I think you'll enjoy those books. I'd start with Society of the Spectacle. Short form and available via the bureau of public secrets

http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/debord/
>>
>>71612331
Fucking kek
>>
>>71612411

>the notion that 'everything can be art' is also wrong and retarded

why? are you one of those sperglords who thinks "art" is synonymous with value/uality?
>>
>>71618410

>uality

*quality
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.