[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-Autistic Mark Kozelek Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: thekoz.jpg (599KB, 3691x2076px) Image search: [Google]
thekoz.jpg
599KB, 3691x2076px
stop deleting these they're fun and contribute more to music discussion than "musical husbando" threads that seem to last way longer for some reason
>>
File: markkozelek2.jpg (809KB, 1385x1913px) Image search: [Google]
markkozelek2.jpg
809KB, 1385x1913px
>MARY ANNE WAS MY FIRST FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>AND A COLD CUT COMBO WAS MY FIRST SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB
>>
>>71604379
What if we had the kid? I guess he'd be fifteen.
>>
Why are they being deleted?
They're literally music related and board appropriate
>>
File: Screenshot_20170316-043622.jpg (522KB, 1411x1472px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170316-043622.jpg
522KB, 1411x1472px
Previous thread got deleted right after I posted this
Is this the real reason?
>>
>>71604379
War On Drugs: Suck My Cock is his crowning musical achievement
>>
Can we actually talk about his music in a non meme way? I mean that infamous listened/expected/got post was hilarious but it gets a little old after a while. What did you guys think of the new album?
>>
sittin' in a diner in Springfield
Waitress comes over and asks if I want anything
I think for a second and tell her some coffee, or maybe some toast but none of that whole-wheat shit
and yeah, I want more, but that's all I can get
that's all I can get tonight
I look to my right and I see some punk kid with a beanie and grey hooded sweater
I don't know his story, but he looks like the guy who stole the Fosters TV next door when I was just nine years old
A nice enough family, three kids and a dog that they left out at night in the cold
but we're all in the cold, one way or another
so who can blame them
uhh huhu huh hh
I know I can't
>>
And yet *blocks your path* and *deletes _____* threads are allowed? Threads that initiate zero intelligent discussion or insight?
>>
>>71604463
i've tried, but I honestly cannot make it through the whole thing. I feel like his hubris and lack of humility has led to him not making serious editing decisions with respect to his work; each project just gets more bloated and self-indulgent, and they still have the things I loved about his music in the past but they're crowded out by weird pseudo-rapping and sloppy lyricism and just general lazy craft.

Idk, I sort of knew it would happen when I heard Benji and he went off the deep end IRL as well, but I hope he can swing back and make thoughtful music again as opposed to just indulgent music.
>>
>>71604463
I thought the new album was good
I listened to it on a drive from santa fe to new orleans
when I stopped at a hotel in wichita I turn on the tv
fox news was saying that trump was president for me
I got a bit upset
I went down to the panera bread
oh panera bread
I ordered up some crab cakes
and I put milk in my corn flakes
when I was a boy i played with ladders and snakes
my father's car was not very fast
and he would go and whoop my ass
>>
>>71604482
yeah i honestly don't get it, there's waifu threads that hit the bump limit every day and *blocks your path* and all that garbage is apparently fine, but threads that are just creative lyric imitation or fairly genuine discussion of his music or place in the indie sphere get nuked before they even get 30 replies. I'm not even a huge fan, I just feel like the better of these types of threads attract some of the funnier people on /mu/ and can lead to some fun discussion, but I guess mods disagree.
>>
>>71604540
You have to question the intelligence and judgment of anyone who would volunteer to be a mod on 4chan.
>>
>>71604463
I wasn't a fan of the electronic stuff but after a few listens it's really grown on me. Mark Always has a way of hitting me with the small stuff. I really cracked at Butch Lullaby, it was all in for me after that one hit. That's how I feel about all his recent releases, on universal themes this is my first day and I'm indian and I work at the gas station hit me in the same way. Yeah, they're wordy but I feel like he hits those things that no one else really talks about
>>
>>71604463
got bored when i listened to it, only managed to get like 4-5 tracks in which is still like an hour because his songs are so long. melody might be good but im tired of hearing his voice and his whiny stories
>>
>>71604379
*farts*
>>
>>71604463
There are a lot of good grooves, memorable moments. But it's far from perfect. It doesn't have any filler, it just has a lot of songs that I'm not into.

I really like the following
>God Bless Ohio (a lot)
>Chili Lemon Peanuts
>Philadelphia Cop
>Sarah Lawrence College Song
>Butch Lullaby
>Bergen To Trondheim (a lot)
>I Love Portugal (a lot)
>Vague Rock Song
>Seventies TV Show Theme Song

The rest I just couldn't get down with. Even though they all have very similar style; bass and drum grooves, Mark's spoken word/singing, some straight up spoken word, sparse acoustic and electric guitars. Some songs were just better written than others.

The thing about Mark's songs as of late is that once you've committed the lyrics to memory when you listen to a song it's kind of like watching a scene from a movie over and over, like yeah you know what's coming next. But it's still enjoyable regardless. I've listened to God Bless Ohio, I Love Portugal, and Bergen to Trondheim over and over especially the first two because they were released way ahead of time before the album came out.

I like the first three Red House Painters albums a lot (so does every Mark fan), and I'm really into Benji and Universal Themes. I think I'm going to remain a Mark fan until he's a gassy dying old man wheezing away about how he's fed up with all the drones in the sky and cyborgs and shit.
>>
>>71604499
He's already making an (what it seems like) acoustic solo EP with two new songs on it, and honestly some of his new stuff solo and with Jesu are beautiful imho. So I think your worries are more to do with artistic decisions than him becoming bad.

I think we also fail to realize how soon Benji came out, it only came out three years ago, but most of /mu/ acts like it was this bygone era of "prime sun kil moon" as if it came out a decade ago, he hasn't lost anything he just decided to make music you aren't that big a fan of (not talking at you Im just referring to people that bash him as of late).

But if you really can't get into the new album, here are the tracks you'd probably like the most, branch out from here:

1. God Bless Ohio
2. Philadelphia Cop
3. Lone Star
4. Window Sash Weights
5. Sarah Lawrence College Song
6. Early June Blues
7. Berghen To Trondheim
8. I Love Portugal
9. I Love You Forever And Beyond Eternity

Once you get a feel for these tracks (which are the highlights and/or most laid back folk like tracks) you can start to respect the sound of the entire record and the experimentation will make semse, if we don't count Benji then it might be his best release since Admiral Fell Promises, at the very THE best studio album since AFP (again, not counting Benji) but I didn't really like it at first, like other people on here.
>>
>>71604723
I feel like I'm the only other person who loves AFP
>>
I love it when Mark does these half assed electric guitar solos like on Seventies TV Show Theme Song
>>
>>71604723
yeah, i totally feel what you're saying here, but for me benji was the end of "prime" SKM, like he was at his best in GotGH and AFP and for me, even Benji had moments I didn't love. and more than 2 hours is sooo much to ask of the listener; imo if you're making an album that long it should be fucking incredible, like GOAT material, because as a music fan and just adult person in general i don't really have the time or energy to devote 2 plus hours to an album that isn't amazing like 3-5 times to see if I really like it. Like there are beautiful moments, and its still very Mark, but I just feel like he's less careful, and by consequence less consistent, and by consequence overall making worse albums right now than he ever has before.
>>
>>71604747
I understand why people don't like it but Half Moon Bay is probably his best song. Also the album art is so good it makes me want to spend $300 on a vinyl pressing. God tier stuff.
>>
>>71604747
nah dude it's actually probably my favorite SKM record
>>
>>71604747
>>71604781
>>71604796
Yeah me too ya bishes.

Also I saw him do Williamsburg Sleeve Tattoo Blues in Williamsburg and I wanted to just basically kill myself.

Also it was the night after Trump got elected and the night Leonard Cohen died. What a weird concert
>>
>>71604859
>the night after Trump got elected and the night Leonard Cohen died
a great night indeed
>>
His whole vocal/lyrical style became absolute garbage following April, and to me he peaked at Ghosts

Benji was honestly one of the worst albums of 2014
>>
>>71604877
(You)
>>
>>71604747
>tfw gf used to live in ålesund
pretty cool. thid and seneca is one of marks best song desu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrYmEJXfY0

admiral fell promises is a real solid album, just not better than benji, april and ghosts to me.
>>
>>71604859
yeah I saw a show just after Trump was elected too, Scott Miller who's this great alt country artist out of VA. Very surreal show, he was clearly shook but still played great
>>
File: Ow_the_edge.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>71604877
>>
File: IMG_9264.jpg (15KB, 196x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9264.jpg
15KB, 196x215px
>That motherfucker killed more people than that
>Plus Waco
>That motherfucker killed more people than that crazy fuck did on the Norwegian island Utoya and Oslo

Can we have a moment to talk about how legitimately amazing that part was?
>>
>>71604393
>Doesn't do the 1st, 5th or 6th button
Mark, buy a bigger shirt.
>>
>>71605314
and he got shit stains on it too
>>
>>71605314
Why the fuck would he button the 1st button without a tie? Only faggots do that shit
>>
Maybe you'll hear it on a Spotify stream
Your girlfriend will say "Ew you actually like this shit?"
Break it off with you and leave
>>
>>71604379
he is honestly the worst artist of our time
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.