[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Goosebumps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 15

File: ELO-Out_of_the_Blue_Lp.jpg (60KB, 517x500px) Image search: [Google]
ELO-Out_of_the_Blue_Lp.jpg
60KB, 517x500px
>Post albums that gives you the goosy bumps
>>
File: the soul cages.png (384KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
the soul cages.png
384KB, 600x600px
ELO is /patrician/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ
>>
>>71597262
This is the first time I've seen someone reference this album on /mu/.

Holy shit was Sting good when he was good.
>>
>>71597252
so many good tracks on this one

but On The Third Day is ELO's best
>>
File: travisbirds.jpg (90KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
travisbirds.jpg
90KB, 1000x1000px
>>
The first minute or so of Isobel, when the album somehow seamlessly transitions from beautiful violin string music into futuristic jungle drums
>>
>>71597966
forgot pic
>>
That ding at the end of The Tourist...
>>
File: MI0003237418.jpg (41KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
MI0003237418.jpg
41KB, 500x440px
i think it was designed to
>>
>>71597700
The transition from The Wild, Wild Sea to The Soul Cages gets me every time. That album is his magnum opus and it isn't even close.

Have you listened to 57th & 9th? I like it. It's not great, but it's way better than the fluff that he's released since 2000.
>>
>>71598291
I un-ironically saw him and Peter Gabriel live on their joint tour last year. Even though everyone around me was as old as my parents, it was wrong to have that much musical talent on the same stage.
>>
>>71598414
Right on brother. I saw Sting in Miami a couple of weeks back. The dude's still got it. I'm just a little upset because he played All This Time in his next show and not the one I went, and that the one song I really wanted to hear.
>>
>>71598441
Sting was fucking phenomenal live, that was the biggest takeaway for me. He blew it out of the water when I was expecting him to be more or less washed up given his post-2000 musical output. His covers of the PG material were on the level of his 80's solo albums.

Gabriel, I had seen before on his 2012 back to front tour, and seeing him live is this borderline religious experience as he's morphed into this old, bald, slightly round monk-like character who sounds EXACTLY like he did on his self-titled albums and has only gotten better as a performer with age. I still get goosebumps thinking about when he did Family Snapshot on his 2012 tour.

He also pulled a god-tier cocktease by singing the opening lines of Dance With The Moonlit Knight before seamlessly segueing into a fantastic cover of Message In A Bottle.
>>
>>
>>71598573
He something similar on his recent tour. He played the opening bassline to The Bed's Too Big Without You and then it faded into Englishman in New York. It was incredible. You're the first Sting fan I've found on /mu/, this is really cool.
>>
File: 220px-TimBuckley_Starsailor.jpg (13KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-TimBuckley_Starsailor.jpg
13KB, 220x220px
>>71597736
cancer
>>
>>71598792
He did*
>>
>>71598573
>>71598792
I love The Police, but I don't like any of the Sting solo songs that I've heard (Brand New Day, Send Your Love, Fields of Gold, Desert Rose, Fragile). What Sting album do you think would turn me on?
>>
File: UltraviolenceLDR.png (70KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
UltraviolenceLDR.png
70KB, 220x220px
not even memeing

The Other Woman never fails to give me goosebumps
>>
>>71598792
yeah, I grew up listening to The Police because my folks were into them, then I heard The Dream of The Blue Turtles a ton because they had the cassette in the car, and I always thought it was good but never got much further into his solo work.

Having All This Time pop into my Genesis Pandora station made me completely re-evaluate his solo material.

And yeah, the Peter Gabriel Dance-into-Message bait and switch was just evil to anybody who knows that he never does any of his Genesis work live anymore.

I honestly think one of the best-kept secrets in music right now is that a Peter Gabriel + Genesis reunion of some sorts is in the works for their 50th anniversary as a band, as some sort of ultimate farewell. I can see it in the tea leaves.

I flew to Iceland to see The Knife play their last-ever concert at Airwaves 2014. I will probably do something similar for any live show that comes from a Genesis reunion.

I still get goosebumps thinking about hearing that voice live.
>>
>>71598876
All This Time is a good intro to the genius of his solo stuff. It'll hook you and you'll recognize those same elements and attention to detail in Dreams and Summoner's tales.
>>
File: 910zqg+H5kL._SL1500_ (1).jpg (573KB, 1500x1486px) Image search: [Google]
910zqg+H5kL._SL1500_ (1).jpg
573KB, 1500x1486px
>the lyrics
>the beautiful melancholy of the second part
>the strings rolling in at the final minute to close off this beautiful journey
11/10
>>
File: sting.jpg (15KB, 236x303px) Image search: [Google]
sting.jpg
15KB, 236x303px
>>71598876
Avoid Brand New Day, Desert Rose is the highlight of the album in my opinion and if you don't like that song, you'll hate that album.

His best solo albums are: The Dream of the Blue Turtles, ...Nothing Like the Sun, The Soul Cages, and Ten Summoner's Tales. They all have their own merit and showcase what Sting can do as a solo artist.

Turtles is the most Police-esque, since he made that one as soon as they broke up. Fortress Around Your Heart sounds like it was made by The Police, and he remade Shadows in the Rain as a jazz chart. This album strongly revolves around the Cold War and the industrialized world. I would start with this album if you're looking for something most like what he did with The Police.

...Nothing Like the Sun is a stronger album that Blue Turtles in my opinion, but it has Fragile on it. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Fragile, either, but the songs Sister Moon, his cover of Little Wing, and Rock Steady all make up for it. The theme around this album was about Chile when Pinochet was still in charge and is a call for peace and sanity in that part of the world. A lot of the songs, especially Little Wing are super popular in Latin America.

The Soul Cages is where Sting hit his peak, and is where I would begin. He wrote this album after his father died, and he explores themes of loss, grief, religion, and loneliness throughout it. The album has peaks and valleys of emotion ranging from reflection on The Island of Souls, anger at the Church on All This Time, to complete despair on Why Should I Cry For You? This was Sting's best work as a solo artist, and if you're into music that evokes emotion, this is where I would start.

Ten Summoner's Tales is Sting returning to "listening music." It has two really big singles in If I Ever Lose my Faith in You and Fields of Gold, but has some legitimately great songs in Seven Days and St. Augustine in Hell. St. Augustine is a little campy, but the music is very well created.
>>
>>71599010
I would be enthused if the original Genesis got back togther
>>
>>71599050
>get salty about being lumped in with the prog guys and shitpost an album taking the piss out of concept albums
>it ends up being one of the greatest concept albums of all time

B A S E D
A S E D B
S E D B A
E D B A S
D B A S E
>>
File: visions_PIN.jpg (97KB, 525x515px) Image search: [Google]
visions_PIN.jpg
97KB, 525x515px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFjkdjb7WNs
>Born for love and nothing more
>>
File: 508091.jpg (19KB, 526x600px) Image search: [Google]
508091.jpg
19KB, 526x600px
>>71599082
OK Sting, Imma let you finish, but Wallflower off Security was one of the greatest anti-Pinochet songs OF ALL TIME
>>
>>71599010
I doubt it man. Phil has said that he wouldn't do it if he couldn't be in his traditional role as a drummer, and he's said in recent interviews that his health problems prevent him from playing all but a couple bars
>>
>>71599250
kek
>>
>>71599300
Eh, first it was his hearing loss, then that got better and stopped being an issue.

Phil will get a surgery or a second opinion on his back/nerve damage and stop being emo about the whole ordeal.
>>
File: cover.jpg (59KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
59KB, 300x300px
>>71597708
That's not how you spell "greatest album of all Time"
>>
>>71599126
It's funny, because the album's actually a concept album in various ways.
>the story/theme that the lyrics convey (they're actually perfectly coherent if you read/actually listen to them, and honestly pretty beautiful)
>the recurring motifs, musical (like the first few notes you hear recurring several times throughout) and lyrical (like how, at one point, a stanza repeats itself but is flipped on its head with inverted lyrics ["And the poet lifts his pen while the soldier sheathes his sword"/"And the poet sheathes his pen while the soldier lifts his sword", "And the youngest of the family is moving with authority/And the oldest of the family is moving with authority", "Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside/Coming from across the sea, he challenges the son who puts him to the run"], recalling the part early on where it is pointed out how quickly society and its views can change)
>the entire thing with the newspaper and the backstory
>and, of course, the idea to have an entire song encompass one album
>>
>>71600477
i will back this up. elo all time favorite band, and abosolutely have to say TIME is their best effort

not as many hits as the other albums, however such a well put together piece of music
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.