[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/FREE/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: Free-Free-Download-PNG.png (64KB, 828x820px) Image search: [Google]
Free-Free-Download-PNG.png
64KB, 828x820px
In this thread you are FREE to discuss any music you want

Have a good thread!
>>
Anyone else here like Herbie Hancock or am I the only one?

I would genuinely like to discuss his works.
>>
What is Björk's best album?
>>
>>71597240
Head Hunters was the album that got me into jazz. I recommended Sextant to a friend of mine, who's not really into jazz and all he could say was: "WOW". Herbie Hancock is just great.
https://youtu.be/Czfo2EDumgU
I recommended Sextant to him, because of this video and because I thought it would illustrate the atmosphere Neil's been talking about.
>>
>>71597250
Debut or Post.
>>
>>71597281
I'm kinda surprised you had him start with Sextant since that was Herbie's most bizarre/abstract album. I'm not saying it's BAD but it definitely took a while to grow on me (and I'm still trying to get Rain Dance to click).

Has your friend tried out any of his other albums? What's your favorite?
>>
File: _358.jpg (50KB, 1080x367px) Image search: [Google]
_358.jpg
50KB, 1080x367px
>>71597326
He did listen to Head Hunters before though. It's so groovy and lighthearted, that anyone I've recommended it to loved it. I haven't listened to all of his albums, but as of right now, I'd have to say that Sextant is one of my favorite albums of his. And pic related is what I love about him.
>>
>>71597441
I also enjoy zap noises.

What have you heard from him?
What video is that YT comment on? The one you shared?
>>
>>71597474
I didn't mean zap noises exclusively, I meant innovation and forward thinking style. That comment is from this video:
https://youtu.be/6Mz5rR0y0fM
I also enjoy Crossings and Mwandishi. Which experimental albums of his would you also recommend?
>>
>>71597542
This may be one of my favorite albums of all time. In regards to its content it is in some way to Sextant. I don't know if you're a fan of Eno, but this album is a masterpiece in my opinion. Pedal steel guitar on an ambient album, go figure. And it works. What he set out to achieve on his latest album, Reflection, he achieved for me on Apollo.
>>
Grimes
>>
is anyone into opera here
if so what are your favourite songs

>>71597240
cantaloupe island is nice but I never heard anything else by him
>>
>>71597542
>Which experimental albums of his would you also recommend?
That was pretty much it for his experimental phase, between those albums were his Funk phase.

Fat Albert Rotunda was released right before Mwandishi and has a lot of the same funk vibes that Headhunters does. Would highly recommend it.
>>
>>71597766
Thank you. What other genres do you listen to?
>>
>>71597707
>cantaloupe island is nice but I never heard anything else by him
Start with Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage.

You're safe with anything from the Blue Note years (Takin Off, My Point of View, Inventions and Dimensions, Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Speak Like a Child, The Prisoner)
>>
>>71597791
A lot of hip hop, some baroque (pop) and psychedelic.

But then again it's impossible to fuck up Psychedelic.
>>
I like Foetus
>>
I LOVE CARLY

I can't wait for her next album
>>
John Frusciante's solo work is really good. What do you think?
>>
>>71597820
Psychedelic pop or psychedelic rock? If it's psychedelic rock, I have a recommendation for you.
>>
>>71597875
Both. Send me the rec.
>>
File: RedHousePainters-DCH[1].jpg (104KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
RedHousePainters-DCH[1].jpg
104KB, 600x583px
some anon recommended pic related to a guy who broke up with girlfriend.
im diggin it
>>
>>71597240
like >>71597281 said, Head Hunters got me into Jazz. Nowadays I prefer Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage, but I'll always feel nostalgic for Head Hunters. I had the privilege of seeing Herbie live with Chick Corea a few years back, and it was undoubtedly one of the best concerts I've ever seen
>>
>>71597900
>I had the privilege of seeing Herbie live with Chick Corea a few years back,
You. Lucky. Bastard.

I haven't been to a concert yet but I'm going to be going to one in July.

What else by the Herb have you heard? What did they play at the concert?
>>
>>71597250
homogenic imo
>>
>>71597944
I mainly stick with his Blue Note stuff, as I'm more into Modal Jazz and Post-Bop than World and Fusion Jazz. When he played with Chick Corea, I honestly didn't recognise anything, they just went nuts improvising and riffing off of each other. I'll be seeing him again this summer, but I have no clue how he's gonna top that, safe for reanimating the corpse of Bobby Hutcherson
>>
File: Crosby_Stills_Diltz_1.jpg (193KB, 800x736px) Image search: [Google]
Crosby_Stills_Diltz_1.jpg
193KB, 800x736px
>>71597889
While this may not be a psychedelic rock album, I think you'll enjoy it either way. They pioneered it at Woodstock by the way. Other recommendations: Cream - Disraeli Gears, The United States of America - S/T, Gong - Camember Electrique, Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk, Syd Barrett - Barrett.
>>
>>71598005
How much were tickets to see him? I would kill to go to one of those concerts.

>>71598070
I remembered putting a lot of these on my 60s chart. I look forward to listening to them. Thanks.
>>
File: emil_shrug.png (245KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
emil_shrug.png
245KB, 600x503px
>>71597240
Literally only know about Herbie through you Herbieanoan. Still never listened to him
>>
>>71598129
I'll have to look that up, I got em a while back. I know for a fact that they weren't cheap, he's playing at a very nice concert hall in Copenhagen
>>
File: Imwideawake.jpg (34KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
Imwideawake.jpg
34KB, 325x325px
Any other anons fans of Bright Eyes here? One of my favorite bands, up there with Swans Animal Collective and GY!BE
>>
>>71598302
Listen to him already then ya goof.

>>71598309
Lucky. Bastard.
>>
>>71597250
Homogenic
>>
Can anyone recommend more music like this? Obvs besides QOTSA and Screaming Trees. Recently started listening to Mark Kozelek, sorta similar.

https://youtu.be/PrK1DayUFP0
>>
Recs for me to become less plebian if I'm a big jack white fan?
>>
>>71599161
Look into early 2000s garage rock.
Also blues punk.
Similar sound, a little more 'raw.'
Here's one by The Immortal Lee County Killers.
https://youtu.be/Svlg8Hp3Jyc
>>
>>71599161
robbie basho maybe
>>
what is a good website for high quality album art?

google is failing me now.
>>
>>71599501
Try googling spotify with the name of the album, that way it shows the visuals spotify uses (not sure if that's high quality enough)
>>
>>71599501
albumartexchange.com
fanart.tv
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.