[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mixing Monitors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

I need some monitors that are as flat as possible for mixing. someone who knows something tell me something.
>>
what's your budget, m8
as flat as possible is $10k
>>
>>71582721
I'm pretty cheap so I would say max 500 per speaker. I just need something that I know will have me putting out good virsitile mixes if it sounds good on those speakers
>>
>>71582721
>>71582781
Spending thousands on high end monitors don't mean shit if your room's not up to scratch.
Room treatment is as equally as important as your monitors and how your final sound translates.
>>
>>71582781
I'd check out the following, even though a tad over budget when not on sale:
neumann kh 80 dsp / kh 120 (used
)eve audio sc 205
aps klasik
hedd 05 / 07
focal cms 50
>>
would just Yamaha ns10 do the job?

>>71582837
can I get a quick rundown on what I should be doing to my room?
>>
>>71582874
>ns 10
no. you wanted flat

-treat first reflection spots
-diffuse/absorb flutter echoes from parallel surfaces
-reduce rt60 to 0.2s on a band as big as possible but don't over absorb at a specific range
>>
File: download (3).jpg (61KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
61KB, 400x400px
>>71582874
The aim is to kill reflections and standing waves through absorption.
Obviously depending on your situation it's going to vary, but get yourself some foam panels for starters. Forget egg cartons, that bullshit.
>>
>>71582874
not that guy but man, don't spend $500 on speakers if you dont even know what roam treatment is
>>
>>71582976
then teach me O-wise one

>>71582962
I just have heard people say that if you can get a mix to sound good on that, that it will translate well to mostly anything
>>
>>71582963
I know the basics and all but should I really be spending hundreds of dollars on bass traps and shit? my room already has a lot of things that will absorb and help stop reflections in my room but what are the most important things to consider as far and the placement of the speakers go? for some context I have a rectangle room thats about 12 x 20 feet
>>
>>71583275
yes, split your budget 50/50 between speakers and room. DIY makes things cost efficient
>>
>>71583275
room size and position of the monitors.

How big is your room?
>>
>>71583275
>>71583306
shit didn't read that last sentence lol.

You want your speakers face in the direction of the longest part of your room. You only need a bit of foam on the sides of your room to capture any bass that is being reflected. Stick to a pair of 5in cones and you shouldn't run into too much mud issues.

the speakers listed here>>71582863
should be good enough.

Also looks into a pair of adam a5x's.
>>
>>71583275
Sound on Sound is a great resource for this. They have loads of info on basic treatments (mirror points etc) and a series where they go out to readers houses and solve their accoustic/monitor placement issues

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-sos-guide-monitoring-acoustic-treatment
>>
File: rectangle.jpg (16KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
rectangle.jpg
16KB, 650x400px
>>71583354
>>71583306
this is my current layout
>>
jbl lsr305
>>
File: studiososmirrorpoints01.jpg (102KB, 508x618px) Image search: [Google]
studiososmirrorpoints01.jpg
102KB, 508x618px
>>71583394
This is what you should be aiming for
>>
>>71583354
I specifically listed eve and hedd because they're next step up from adam, it's where all their former r&d department went. adam is pretty much dead
>>
>>71583457
yeah but you can probably find a pair of adams for cheap FWIW
>>
>>71583545
true
>>
>>71582696
Jbl 308
>>
File: sony-ss-mf550h.jpg (6KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
sony-ss-mf550h.jpg
6KB, 221x228px
OP here

for reference these are the speakers I'm working with now
they are great but the problem is they are not made for mixing and such as they are from a tv home entertainment system.
from what info I could find they have a decently flat freq resopnse though.
should I not even bother buying mixing monitors?
>>
>>71583672
give a datasheet and measurements from them
got none?
get rid of them
>>
>>71583704
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/sony-ss-mf550h-3-way-floorstanding-speakers.html

here it says it frequency response is + or - 3bd
>>
>>71583768
seems to be a misinterpretation from that reviewer, the actual specs seem to say the -3dB points indicating the range are at these frequencies
which says nothing about the tolerance in between that band
also that's only one of many other unknown factors like THD, directivity, possible resonances and so on
>>
>>71583879
now I'm confused
>>
>>71584143
if you want to take this seriously then get some better speakers and invest in your room
if you're fine with your speakers and your stuff turns out alright then don't worry
>>
>>71584192
what monitors would you suggest
>>
>>71584395
I'm still the same dude who posted the whole list
I'm a neumann fanboy, but that's personal preference. check the stuff out yourself
>>
yamaha hs8 800 euros for a pair. can also get the 7 inch version theyre both fine desu
>>
I feel like these desktop monitors are not big enough to even produce low frequencies
>>
>>71584666
the <50Hz most of them can reproduce accurately are absolutely enough for almost all audio work except the most critical mastering, but for that you don't only need bigger speakers you also need a room that can handle these low frequencies which is a completely different can of worms
40-50Hz is already troublesome enough
>>
thinking about getting the Yamaha hs8
>>
>>71585635
any thoughts?
>>
>>71586814
they're alright
>>
>>71586833
what would you say is better for the money
>>
>>71582696
I personally use your pic related and they work fine for me.

I have Westone in-ear monitors as well though, which give me more detail to work with. Having both is nice, but yeah, the HS-10s are nice. I don't even have the subwoofer but you learn how to work it right over time.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.