[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you guys not like father john? is it because hes popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

Why do you guys not like father john? is it because hes popular?
>>
I'll post nu-male before someone else
>>
He looks like the other talentless hack from the doors.
>>
>>71568906
because his music is the worst kind of boring tripe and he comes off as a smug, self-satisfied dweeb who isn't 1/8 as profound as he likes to think he is
>>
>>71569029
second
>>
>>71569029
Wow why so insecure?
>>
>>71569097
what is there to be insecure about, you asked why i don't like him and i told you?
>>
reddit: the guy
>>
File: 736170242_o.jpg (28KB, 835x1000px) Image search: [Google]
736170242_o.jpg
28KB, 835x1000px
>he didn't wear a Jim Morrison/The Doors shirt in middle school to show how deep and sophisticated he was compared to his peers.
>>
>>71569112
>what is there to be insecure about,
Why else would you judge someone you've never even met as smug and pretentious?
>>
>>71569338
the same way i judge if anyone else is smug and pretentious - by listening to what they have to say and considering how they choose to present themselves
>>
His previous album was well received, but it wasn't well received enough to grant him the goodwill necessary to overlook his recent release
>>
i liked honeybear because it had some nice songs.
>>
>>71568906
I think he's great. Amazing lyricist.
As for why /mu/ doesnt like him, because half of them support Trump and/or have weird masculinity issues? I dunno
>>
File: 1479049333909.jpg (74KB, 600x582px) Image search: [Google]
1479049333909.jpg
74KB, 600x582px
>>71568906
Always was fond his music despite the majority of his newest work, and that's just because
>look how deep I am
>half-assed political opinions
Ballad of a Dying Man was great nonetheless.
>>71569441
Spontaneous politics ruin otherwise good art
>>
It's really obnoxious that you can't have any opinion on here without having buzzwords thrown at you from either side.

I think Fear Fun is a great album, I think Honeybear has some great songs on it, I think Pure Comedy is pretty bad and essentially distills all the worst parts of him into one album.

I'm not a Trump supporter, I don't care that he's injecting social commentary into his work necessarily, I just don't think he's particularly good at it. His observations are given with little to no depth beyond surface level metaphors and are just not nearly unique or provocative enough to warrant such a lack of artfulness in their presentation. The music itself is boring, his melodies are boring, and it's all presented with this plastic grandeur that really rubs me the wrong way. I just dislike it and it has nothing to with popularity or being some alt right fag. Alternatively, I'm super excited for the new Fleet Foxes and think their single excelled in all the ways that Tillman struggles with.
>>
>>71569441
I can't tell if this is bait...
>>
Because I'm not a religious idiot
>>
>>71568906
I want to fuck him
>>
It's ridiculous, really. Everyone is free not to like the guy or his music, but more often then not on /mu/ the reasoning isn't something so reasonable. What I read in every Misty hate thread is that his lyrics aren't mind-splittingly profound and deep, but they are really so dead certain that he thinks they are.

First of all, the fact is that most lyricists, even the ones /mu/ collectively jacks it over, aren't groundbreaking. They aren't deep or profound, and a lot of the times you can easily find cringe-worthy lines all over the place. Either it speaks to you or it doesn't, but don't pretend like you're so high-minded and above appreciating his lyrics when it's guaranteed you like something inferior, trite, or just as decent in one way or another.

Second of all, he comes off as an irreverent guy surely, but the surety of the criticism assuming his thoughts, beliefs, intentions, and motivations on this board are simply laughable.

That said, I do like the Father John and I'm looking forward to hearing the new album in its entirety. Yes, I know it leaked already.
>>
>>71571065
than*
>>
>>71571065
Nobody is claiming everybody has to write deeply insightful lyrics that reveal something about the human condition in every song, it's the fact that he specifically has tried to do exactly that with this album and it comes off as trite and corny.

And here's the thing, I think he's actually fantastic lyricist, at least when he's not punching outside of his weight class. I'm Writing A Novel, Hollywood Cemetery Sings, I Love You Honeybear and Holy Shit are wonderfully written songs.

Musically these songs are not giving you much to latch on to, lyrically/verbally he's not doing much to engage you, so all I can really judge these songs by is by the content of his observations, which by most standards are pretty obvious, and pretentious.

And I'm not just using "pretentious" in the indiscriminate way it is usually used nowadays. Everything about this album, the arrangements, the language he uses, even his fucking vocal cadences scream profundity or "truth" or whatever bullshit. They fucking insist on themselves, and I (and it seems a lot of people here) think there is a complete lack of concordance between the value these songs seem to suggest about themselves, and the actual value their insights hold. That is why people are making such a big fuss about their lyrics. You can't just remove the entire context and point and say "hurr you probably like something that's exactly the same".

Also the argument that he recognizes that they're not that profound doesn't make it any better. If you're going to make an album reveling in showing your specific subjective view of the world, then this is not how you do it. These song's sound declarative, not personal, any way you put it. You do not write a song like "Two Wildly Different Perspectives" without thinking you're making some kind of a significant statement. The fact that the statement basically boils down to "dichotomous world views tend to be pretty bad" shows how fucking banal it is.
>>
File: IMG_9121.jpg (112KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9121.jpg
112KB, 500x500px
Really?

No one has said it yet?

Hes the great value Robin Pecknold and thats being really generous
>>
>>71569202
This shirt is cringeworthy
>>
>>71571507
A fair point about him stretching his talents as a songwriter, but yet to an extent that is what most of us want from an artist is it not? I wouldn't have wanted Fear Fun v.2, or I Still Love You HB, and I appreciate him pushing himself to make this album. Your opinion is that his efforts fell flat, and that's fine. From what I've heard so far, it seems to be quality material.

From what I understand, (and of course I'm paraphrasing here) Misty has said the things he's saying in this album are things he's thought his whole life and is getting them out in this package. To me, it would make perfect sense for him to attach a sense of gravity to a number of the subjects he covers precisely because he sees them as very serious things in his mind. That isn't to automatically mean that he thinks he's laying the science down on society, but just that he's treating his observations with the seriousness in which he regards them personally. Again, none of us know his intentions, but that's very understandable to me.

Which takes me to your statement about "Two... Perspectives". I don't think it's necessarily true that he'd have to have thought it was a beacon of truth for everyone. Just that he sees it as a plea for understanding in the world within a song. The fact that the theme of a song can be boiled down into a sentence (when there are actually other things to be said about it, and which I've mentioned in other threads) doesn't automatically translate into banality. Many of the classic songs throughout Western music can be distilled into far simpler phrases. I think it's a well written song, personally.
>>
>>71571705
To some extent I can concede to this idea that he is trying to appropriately attach weight to important views he holds, but I still think he has failed to do that because that is just not how the songs come off. I've seen people mention the new Sun Kil Moon album next to this one a lot, and I think it's a fair comparison to make. Not to suggest that's a perfect album without it's fair share of self indulgence or flaws, but in it Mark similarly makes a number of assertions about the modern world that he obviously holds with a firm amount of conviction, but by design everything he says comes off as a distinctly subjective take on the world. I don't have to see some interview of his to get that sense, the entire thing is imbued with a personal, stream-of-consciousness quality, despite him believing his points have value.

Other than that, probably the big issue I take with the lyrics is that the language itself is just written bluntly and with so little finesse (but not bluntly enough to make that a point of interest like Kozelek) that it makes me wonder what exactly the value of putting this to song actually is. Look I'm not asking him to write like Keats, but such a lack of poetic language or artfulness, is part of what makes the lyrics so open to scrutiny, and if he's not going to 100% commit to portraying them as an individual exploration then I don't see what the point of making these songs actually is. He should have just written a blog if he wanted to get his thoughts out there, I don't see much added to them by turning them into songs.
>>
File: david_bowie-alabama_song_s_3.jpg (84KB, 800x806px) Image search: [Google]
david_bowie-alabama_song_s_3.jpg
84KB, 800x806px
>>71571656
It's Canon though since they both covered an obscure song.
>>
>>71572135
Sounds like a silly comparison, but I always thought it was unnecessary to say "IMO" at the end of a post, because of course its just my opinion. It came from me and its not a fact. So I don't see his coming off as declarative to take away from that personal nature.

And I agree, he's been far more artful in his lyricism in past albums, most especially Fear Fun.
>>
>>71568906
I'll be totally honest I haven't heard anything from this guy but just the way he holds himself tells me everything I need to know about anything he'd make. Would mug/10.
>>
fjm is an incoherent prick. rather listen to a sam harris lecture than pure comedy
>>
>>71569338
Alright, I'm a huge FJM fan, but based on his interviews, lyrics, social media presence and general attitude there is no denying that he is incredibly smug and pretentious
>>
>>71569744
I mostly agree with this, except I think Honeybear is a great album and Fear Fun has some great songs on it, and I'm pretty pumped to hear the rest of Pure Comedy even though I'm not totally in love with the singles.

Also 'Two Wildly Different Perspectives' is lyrically such a dumb song, and this is coming from someone who actually does think even the most moderate of both political sides can be incredibly toxic.
>>
>>71568906
his "cynicism xD" songwriting annoys me
>>
File: 684563645.png (245KB, 510x432px) Image search: [Google]
684563645.png
245KB, 510x432px
Guys, we all know that whoever OP is, is the same guy who makes every FJM every day. And he defends his precious FJM so much, like every insult thrown at him hurts OP too.

What if OP is actually Father John himself trying to make himself popular on /mu/ through viral marketing, but troughs a fit whenever he gets shat on for making awful music and having a shitty personality?!
>>
His persona is kind of douchey and I have a hard time fully understanding what parts are """ironic""" and which parts are sincere.
>>
Because he is a hipster, even though people post hipster shit on here all the time.
>>
>>71576651
>I have a hard time fully understanding what parts are """ironic""" and which parts are sincere.

Need it cut and dry, do ya?
>>
>>71576651
yea stick to music which telegraphs exactly what you should believe in.
>>
>>71576606
idk i think FJM is popular enough and wouldn't really care
>>
>>71576771
Shut up, Joshua.
>>
>>71576776
what
>>
>>71576786
we all know it's you, don't play dumb
>>
>>71576798
i don't know who Joshua is
>>
>>71569540
>Spontaneous politics ruin otherwise good art
Only reason to think this is if your politics are wrong. All good artists generally have good political views. If there's a pro-Hillary or pro-Trump song, you can rest assured that the artist was already shit.
>>
>>71569810
>confusing FJM and Sufjan
baka

>>71575290
>taking sam harris seriously
>not dying every day from rampant stupidity
seriously, how do you function in society?

>>71576654
People still use that term? What is this, 2012?
>>
>>71577100
t.christian
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.