[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has /mu/ read The Catcher in the Rye?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: catcher_0.png (393KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
catcher_0.png
393KB, 640x430px
I'm doing a project for school and I need to make a Spotify playlist (I know, they're plebs) consisting of songs that relate to the plot or themes of the book. I thought you guys would have some good recs.
>>
>>71562002
definitely gonna need a lot of Crywank
>>
>>71562037
Any song in particular?
>>
White Reaper or Jeff Rosenstock
>>
>>71562002
Anything John Lennon
>>
>>71562002
I read this novel in 8th / 9th grade

why am I on this board
>>
>>71562002
Linkin Park - Crawling
>>
>>71562060
jeff rosenstock is a great idea
>>
>>71562099
kek
>>
>>71562002
you need songs about growing up, childhood innocence, new york, being drunk,try AnCo for growing up songs
>>
For reference, he's what I'm thinking about right now:

Fill in the Blank by Car Seat Headrest
New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down by LCD Soundsystem
Thirty Three by The Smashing Pumpkins
Nausea by Jeff Rosenstock
>>
creep
>>
Years ago I had to create a playlist too lmao
I even threw in a couple of instrumentals with a proper explanation
>>
>>71562195
This 100%
>>
AJJ
>>
>>71562254
It doesn't make any sense in reference to Catcher In The Rye
>>
>>71562284
Maybe not specifically but it captures the feeling of teenage angst/alienation that Holden experiences my dude
>>
>>71562195
>>71562254
Yeah, I don't see how Creep really works...
>>
>>71562099
jej
>>
>>71562002
Childish Gambino, because his music shares the novel's themes of being an unlikeable whiney bitch.
>>
>>71562368
tru
>>
Some michael jackson, both niggas don't want to grow up
>>
There are a few Animal Collective songs that fit the corruption of youth and longing for that simplicity and innocence of childhood and wanting to preserve it.
Grass has some lyrics that deal with that:
"What's with all the changin' since the time I was aware?
It's like the apple-eatin' people that we once were aren't there.
Did they empty out their pockets and debase their younger faces?
And you must be sure you're happy when you leave your summer places"

And Applesauce:
"When I was young I thought fruit was an infinite thing
I'd be sad to wake up and find all of my cherries are charred or they're rotted to ruin
It seems we all can't last"

This is also brought to mind (Circa Survive - The Greatest Lie):
"If I could get this feeling to end
Trembling idle hands
Holding me there
We laugh in the face of love
Because nobody's really there
Nobody's real"
Those first three lines: Holden is wrestling with frustration and misunderstandings throughout the book, but is seemingly powerless to change/move past that. The last three lines: people don't take him seriously even when he's being genuine (the cab driver, Sally Hayes), and react aggressively or defensively because in their world of surface, Holden (or what he says at least) simply doesn't fit. They're not really true, genuine people, and that's part of why Holden can never relate or effectively communicate with them.
>>
>>71562326
remember when that teacher tried to get into the MC's pants?
>>
>>71562459
Thanks a lot for this, this is great. Good analysis too
>>
>>71562326
he rapes his sister
>>
This Charming Man by The Smiths repeated 10 times
>>
>>71562002
I once did the same project, same book. Of Age by The Frights is definitely the best song you could use. Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies is an obvious song to use as well.
>>
>>71562002
Richard Hell - Blank Generation
>>
>>71562551
this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blnnQMEAfo8
>>
>Catcher in the Rye
>Spotify
Underage pls go
>>
>>71562551
yes, but how is that creepy?
>>
>>71562002
'Who wrote Holden Caulfield?' by Greenday
>>
I read half off it. I enjoyed what i read but could never be bothered to finish it.
>>
>>71562059
probably memento mori, since it relates to wanting to be a kid

You might also want to check out DIY Orgasms by Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains
>>
How has no one posted Only Living Boy in New York?
https://youtu.be/hJGSHMgbB0E
>>
Poon Patrol - Ganja Unchained
>>
>>71562280
yes
>>
>>71562280
>>71564918
Any songs worth mentioning?
>>
>>71562002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBz9H10OVc

Sometimes I imagine an adaption of tCitR starting with this song set to a montage of "phonies" on an old tv
>>
>>71562002
Are you in high school? This sounds like a fucking high school project, one for B level English class none the less.
>>
That one Modest Mouse song Talking Shit about a sunset or something
>>
THE CORE THEME OF THE NOVEL THE CATCHER IN THE RYE IS STRUGGLING TO COME TO TERMS WITH THE TRANSITION FROM CHILDHOOD TO ADULTHOOD, SO NO GENERIC SONGS ABOUT BEING AN OUTSIDER (WHICH HOLDEN IS NOT) ARE NOT RELEVANT TO THE CATCHER IN THE RYE
>>
chief keef - don't like
>>
>>71565392
>STRUGGLING TO COME TO TERMS WITH THE TRANSITION FROM CHILDHOOD TO ADULTHOOD

So, the Emergency & I?
>>
>>71562002
Pat The Bunny
>>
>>71564259
This
>>
>>71566367
Yep, probably i want cancer for christmas
>>
File: freak folk.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
freak folk.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
First, graduate fucking high school jesus christ

April and the Phantom
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.