[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As far as I understand, pic related is the best synth for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: MonologueBK-large.jpg (122KB, 750x586px) Image search: [Google]
MonologueBK-large.jpg
122KB, 750x586px
As far as I understand, pic related is the best synth for the money for a beginner. Is that true? Are there better options?
>>
it's entirely dependent on what you actually want from a synth
>>
>>71552562
Not OP, but I want something that can sound like a Pro Soloist for cheap.
>>
>>71552602
I'd get a cheap midi keyboard and pirated vst emulation software.
>>
>>71552489
You'll get bored of monophonic pretty fast, albeit you'll learn synth theory pretty easily. Buy a Volca Bass to learn and an Alesis Micron used and you won't regret it.
>>
>>71552562
I essentially want a good sequencer and I want it to be portable and cheap.

Also the oscilloscope looks darn cool. It was between this and the Microbrute, but I prefer the cleaner sounds of this synth to it.

I imagine the Volcas are pretty much toys, right?
>>
>>71552665
>VST
>ever

>Tfw you're damn near a golden ear and can hear the compression in songs as it is, speak nothing of the difference between a VST and the meatiness of a real analogue synth.

I'm fucked, aren't I...
>>
>>71552678
Is monophonic really that limiting? If I eventually get a Minilogue or something to go with this would it be a sound investment?
>>
>>71552712
Lol any musician can tell the diff between analog and a VST please suck your own dick on gearsluts not here
>>
>>71552712
yeah analogue is just so much warmer right

im 12 btw
>>
>>71552712
>good true analogue synth
>cheap

pick one
>>
>>71552740
Mono is good if you only need basslines and leads like Moog whistles and solos. You need polyphonic if you want pads, chorded piano/organ type leads, etc.The minilogue is great but my only real complaint is that it lacks that "classic" sound you can only get out of Rolands and similar clones. Not to say the filter isn't great but it has a kinda American CEM tone to it but a little more sterile. If you plan to emulate popular dance music from the 80s and 90s you need that Roland filter tone.
>>
>>71552793
The current vintage bargain is the Roland Alpha Juno at about $250 but I didn't tell you that
>>
>>71552809
I have a friend who does that kinda stuff with a Nord Stage Ex - I imagine I can get a better sound for way cheaper, right? Like, less than $600?
>>
>>71552562
this
>>
>>71552832
*similar, not better
>>
File: microKorg-large.jpg (89KB, 750x411px) Image search: [Google]
microKorg-large.jpg
89KB, 750x411px
Waste of money, or good intro vocoder?
>>
>>71552826
Golden ear here.

I still kick myself to this day for not buying a Juno 60 back in 2004, because at $350 I thought it was too much to spend on a 20 year old keyboard.
>>
>>71552809
>cem tone
>not dance

whoa that's a weird thing to say, also the minilogue doesn't sound CEM-like at all to my ears, and i own a prophet 5

>>71552832
>>71552866
you can get a roland jx3p for like $400 on craigslist or ebay. it's not a juno, but it sounds good as its own thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxeKpN9IV8Y
>>
>>71552832
Again buying something small and cheap is important to learn how synths work but after you understand the theory you can basically just buy whatever fits the tone you want. What kind of music do you want to make/ like?
>>
>>71552880
If you want a hardware vocoder as a normal person instead of VSTs or whatever that's probably the most normal and standard option
>>
>>71552880
waste of money if you just want the vocoder, not to mention its a total memesynth at this point. get a free or cheap vst vocoder for your daw instead. for the money you could just buy the minilogue or a jx3p.
>>
>>71552929
Heh maybe I'm a little out of touch, my experience with CEM chips was with an Akai AX80. But still no one is dancier than Roland, whenever I think P5 I always think of New Wave bands oops
>>
>>71552950
In terms of synths, I like Herbie style synth jazz and old synthpop.

I don't expect the synth I get to fulfill everything, but I would at least like it to keep being relevant after I learn synthesis.
>>
>>71552489
it is if you want "muh anal-log warmth"
other than that, a used Mininova or SH-201 is a far better deal for something actively practical and not circlejerking with an overpriced Volca/Electribe/Monotron signal chain
>>
>>71552983
>whenever I think P5 I always think of New Wave bands oops

yeah, you should probably look a little further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWmnEET0y4
>>
>>71552880
shit polyphony for a digital synth/10
even a used Alpha Juno has more polyphony than that piece of shit, and is just one step less tedious than a ROMpler in terms of programming.

Go get an Ultranova/Korg R3/Akai Miniak/Microkorg XL unless you want to enjoy the worlds shittiest minikeys
>>
>>71552489
>Are there better options?
a 88 keyboard controlling sylenth1 on a portable tablet window pc
>>
>>71553205
My computer is a potato, I'd rather just do analog methinks. It would be one less thing to worry about if I ever want to just sit down and play.
>>
Korg > all for cheapo synths?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.