[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christian musicians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: johnny-cash-1210.jpg (177KB, 777x582px) Image search: [Google]
johnny-cash-1210.jpg
177KB, 777x582px
Musicians who are christian but don't make obvious christian music
>>
>it's just a prank bro i'm actually catholic
>>
marilyn manson
>>
most rappers
>>
File: ennio-morricone.jpg (319KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ennio-morricone.jpg
319KB, 1920x1080px
"I am a man of faith, but faith doesn’t inspire me. I do not think about my faith when I write a piece of music. I think of the music that I have to write – music is an abstract art. But of course, when I have to write a religious piece, certainly my faith contributes to it. I recently wrote a secular cantata on the Gospel, the Bible, and the Koran for baritone and orchestra. I don’t have to think of God and, in general, if the text isn’t religious, there’s no reason to apply religious music to it and so there’s no reason to think about religion. Of course, I have inside of me a spirituality that I always retain in my writing. But I keep it there not because I want it, so to speak, but because I feel it."

based Italian
>>
File: Black Sabbath.jpg (124KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Black Sabbath.jpg
124KB, 1200x630px
>>71535877
A tradition as old as metal itself
Though anyone who's heard After Forever knows this
>>
>>71535902
how can you be a christian when you are a black hating pedo?
>>
>>71535863 (OP)
>don't make obvious christian music

would be a bit hypocritical with all the drug abuse and violence

probably a nurture and culture thing than him actually having a strong belief
>>
>>71535920
how can you be a christian
>>
>>71535920
>how can you be a christian when you are a black hating pedo?
Never stopped priests, did it?
>>
>>71535863
Terrible example, he made plenty of gospel albums and even certified classics like At San Quentin he talks about his work related to his beliefs
>>
>>71535920
>>71535941

because all your sins are forgiven if you confess them
>>
Why is Christian music almost universally terrible? I'm serious because there's so much potential with biblical themes.
>>
>>71536191
christcucks, everyone
>>
>>71536192
99% of all good christian music was made before 1970
>>
>>71536166
OP's probably only heard his songs before he became a christian and thinks that's all he has.
>>
>>71536192
I suspect it's because generally very few people who want to portray themselves as a Christian and market to that audience, want to also lay bare their flaws

The sort of artists who can make that crossover and make it work like Johnny Cash or 16 Horsepower are openly flawed individuals, or you have your outsider stuff like Dave Bixby or Simon Finn that is appreciated because it's not trying to be marketable

That said, 99% of modern Christian music is made by people who are just part of these insular communities where it's all that's acceptable and everything is about image, I grew up in one of those communities and by no longer trying to pretend I'm perfect, I lost all standing there, they don't really appreciate human pathos
>>
>>71536202

I suppose there's Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1w3EhXqwo
>>
>>71536192
much more potential to simply ignore everything

if you're a straight-edge christian you'd never have that curiosity and would have far fewer experiences to draw from as a songwriter. most of the best writers seem to be agnostics
>>
Majority of pre-60's country, blues, folk and jazz were Christians. Society in general has moved away from religion though so it's a more niche type thing now.
>>
File: 767.jpg (17KB, 547x310px) Image search: [Google]
767.jpg
17KB, 547x310px
>>71536262

Have you read the bible? Even the history of Christianity, the church fathers is all very interesting and inspiring. Christianity has played a huge part in the human condition and our understanding of ourselves and the connection we have to the world
>>
>>71535863
>wedding ring on right hand

Can't take the redneck out of the singer.
>>
>>71536318
yes and it's just a bunch of fables lost over multiple translations. waste of time that I can't believe remains a staple in the western world

you're right people are interesting, history is interesting, but society doesn't need to revolve around an absurd concept of a magical being and polar opposite afterlifes. could well be some deity like thing out there in the expansive universe. that to me is far more logical and interesting than the special snowflake syndrome we have believing that any earthly god exists.
>>
>>71536318
The Bible can be a very fun piece of fiction, just like any other culture's mythology...the point is, people who believe in that stuff are less likely to actually do anything great with it, because devout believers of a faith are the last ones to actually probe into the ideas it presents

For me, a perfect example of a person using religious themes as a Christian and a non-Christian is Bob Dylan...before he was a Christian, his stuff was fantastic, "With God on Our Side", "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" or even just the fun references in things like "Desolation Row" or "Highway 61 Revisited" but then once he became an actual Christian there was a whole lot of garbage like "When You Gonna Wake Up" and "Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others)"

The demo version of Every Grain of Sand from the Bootleg Series is perfect though
>>
>>71536330
Wearing a wedding ring makes you a redneck?
>>
>>71535863
Marty Robbins
>>
File: 51NNCNPRGAL.jpg (44KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51NNCNPRGAL.jpg
44KB, 500x500px
My favorite Christian rock album great if you're into prog
>>
>>71535863
Your OP is retarded. There are plenty Christians who make music not at all relating to religion.

What Im guessing you want is alternative gospel.

>Cash
>Dylan
>Stones
>Sufjan stevens
>>
>>71536453
I SEE THE WHITE PUFF OF SMOKE FROM THE RIFLE, I FEEL THE BULLET GO DEEP IN MY CHEST
>>
>>71536551
Shine a Light is the best Rolling Stones song, fight me
>>
>>71536551
>sufjan stevens

are you kidding
>>
>>71535863
Bono.
>>
>>71536566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e22cEMXganQ
>>
>>71536576
Its up there

>>71536587
Not a massive fan but he fulls the qualification

>>71536551
also add elvis to this
>>
>>71536603
>>71536566
>>71536453

Is there a more comfy artist?
>>
You fucking faggets forgot Ronnie James Dio.
>>
>>71536624
I wish
>>
File: Chance-The-Rapper_05-11-2016[1].jpg (64KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chance-The-Rapper_05-11-2016[1].jpg
64KB, 600x450px
Except that it's super obvious.
>>
>>71536599
The album where they are most explicit (October) is also the most garbage, that said they are still a solid reminder that Christian rock is one the most popular genres in the world with their tour sales
>>
I've thought about what OP could possibly be implying and I think what he means is artists who have explicitly Christian music but also very secular music...in which case, besides artists already mentioned, I would recommend Curtis Mayfield
>>
a couple of metalcore lead singers are surprisingly Christian
>>
>>71536654
>hates whites
>a good person
>>
>>71535863
like 90% of "western" musicians
>>
>>71537054
>Christians
>good people
>>
>>71535863
Paramore was originally considered a Christian rock band
>>
>>71536620
But he's blatantly christian; it's evident in a lot of his songs and is a recurring theme.
>>
Chevelle, although though they hate when people label them as a Christian band. I believe they are catholic and their first record was released on a Christian label. Also, a cool fact, it was engineered by Steve Albini.
>>
Rob Halford said he was raised in a Christian home and his faith helped him get through some shitty times in his life, although I don't consider him a real Christian because he refuses to stop being gay.
>>
Creed. Duh.
>>
>>71535914
Butler and Iommi are Catholic, yeah, although Ozzy says he's an agnostic who believes in nature or some junk like that.
>>
Pedro the Lion
Sufjan Stevens
>>
File: Ross-Mrs-Bach-918.jpg (382KB, 918x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ross-Mrs-Bach-918.jpg
382KB, 918x1200px
>>71536192
Excuse me?
>>
>>71537266
There's Christians who refuse to stop serial murder or refuse to stop stealing from the poor, I think being gay is alright

Being Christian on the other hand is not
>>
>>71537518
>>>/tumblr/
>>
Dave Mustaine is a Christian.
>>
>>71536192
You should check out Josh T Pearson. He's a Texas singer song writer and his faith is pretty central to his work. Here's a song of his album, Last of the Country Gentlemen.
https://youtu.be/bc3PnfUidUA
>>
>>71537582
>posting on a website famous for its pedophiles and literal murderers
>feeling like a morally superior Christian over other people on the site
Literally why?
>>
>>71537654
he's committed to it though; won't play certain megadeth songs anymore due to their "satanic" lyrics. he also unironically believes in witchcraft and black magic
>>
>>71536229
Check this out as well.
>>71537696
>>
>>71536195
catholicucks
>>
>>71537713
From an early (mid-80s) interview with Dave Mustaine:

"I've dabbled in the occult a little bit, but I didn't stay with it long. The occult takes a lot of time and practice and once you get into it, it's hard to get back out again. Why side with the Devil? He's already here."
>>
Also, a big reason a lot of CCM is so fucking terrible is the production, I mean, Jesus Christ...there were all those hugely popular and successful artists in the 80's and 90's that were selling millions of albums but their production was just godawful, even if they were great songwriters

Like Rich Mullins for example is like a hero of CCM but the production ruins basically all his songs, his best album by far is just demos that weren't ruined yet because he died nine days after making them so they just released them as is
>>
>>71537841
Amy Grant is objectively shit, I agree.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
>>71537871
Heart in Motion [A&M, 1991]

Xian Xover queen: "What's the difference between a PMS'ing woman and a bulldog? Lipstick! See, only a woman can tell that joke." Don't be so sure, lady. And note Hits's gnostic riposte: "What do you get when you cross an atheist with a dyslexic? Somebody who doesn't believe in dogs!" C

Meltdown [1980s]
>>
>>71536508
god tier
>>
>>71535863
Dave Longstreth - One Life
is a nice album.
>>
Here's some spoilers as to why "Christian music" sucks. I have a friend who is a nondenominational Christian. I'm Catholic, but I went to one of their church services because I was invited. I'm used to a very formal mass (I prefer it actually) and their services are much less formal. About a dozen of them play worship songs during it. Now I'm used to hearing either an organ or a classical guitar, but they had the normal rock instrumentation. Most "Christian music" is either this worship stuff, which is supposed to be in the context of church so the lyrics are usually literal and the melodies are simple, or it's music that takes this worship music and either more rock influence or tries to make it more like secular music. It's not my thing be understand the appeal.
The OP is bad because either a) he's talking about artists that have Christian messages but you don't notice so Cash is a terrible example b) artists who are Christian but you wouldn't normally guess which makes Cash a stupid pick because he talked about his faith constantly.
>>
>>71536576
One of them, yeah.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3On4rAJdeKg
gospel blues is good
>>
>>71539836
You've got some good points. Still you're leaving out the market of commercial Christian music. I think that generally has a hard time being good because the Christian demographic is surprisingly easy to exploit since as long as it's anout Jesus people will buy it and it can make a prophet. I went to a Christian high-school and people would eat up anything that was marketed as christian without assessing if it actually portrayed the message of Jesus properly or was able to compete artistically with other stuff. It's the safest market and if you really want to make money from music make throw away Christian pop. I find it really sad and I think Jesus deserves better.
>>
>>71536191
>does something horrible
>it's okay because you can whisper some meaningless words in a useless box to a peado

good one :^)
>>
>>71540491
That's what the second group are. Newsboys are genuine and they practice what they preach and are genuine (still not my thing). But there are other Christian artists that are basically Cartman from that South Park episode. I'd say that country from the last 5-6 years is more exploitive, but that's just cause I know country well. It'd take me longer to explain.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.