[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

afx a pioneer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

what makes aphex twin a pioneer and influential to so many artists? the only thing i "hear" different from many idm artists is that he has a good ear for melodies.

selected works ii is ambient meets techno - its in the genre name. some good standouts obviously, xtal, music makers, but i dont hear anything pioneering in this album.

saw 2 is so bloated. also all the beat oriented tracks are garbage. brian eno is the ambient pioneer and he did it better in half the running time on vol 4.

i care because you do. dont see much praise for this besides alberto and acrid. transitional album. nothing pioneering.

RDJ. yes this album has good melodies and his "signature" drumming, but people credit afx for this programming? squarepusher did it before and much better. not even a fan of his.

drukqs - bloated and inconsistent. it does have many complex arrangements but we are in the 2000s now. nothing groundbreaking or new.

people from thom yorke to rym kids praise him to death. im not knocking afx, i like him. i just dont see how hes a pioneer.
>>
Aphex twin fucking sucks sooooooooo overrated. listen to BoC instead.
>>
he is pioneer ur stupid rofl
>>
>knocks his whole career
>hurr I'm not knocking it I like him lol

Fuck off OP
>>
>>71531396
he invented techno, jungle drum and bass, uk garage, dubstep, etc.
>>
>>71531396
What you're saying about SAW 85-92, and RDJ, and how they're not "pioneering" because they sound like other albums, isn't a good argument because those albums did their respective things first.
>>
>>71531814
I do like him. I listen to SWII and Come to Daddy frequently on my rotation. Syro has grown too.

Liking someone does not make them a pioneer.

>>71531837
You know nothing about the electronic genre. Aphex was influenced by jungle and drum and bass grew out of that genre. He also did not invent techno that was before his time.

>>71531862
Except they didn't. You need to hear more albums.
>>
>>71531837
IS THIS A JOKE BECAUSE IM LAUGHING REALLY HARD XD XD XD
>>
you had to be there and you missed it, sorry
>>
>>71532122
shut the fuck up 15 year old kid
>>
>claim tracks from your first album are from as early as 1985 and make wild claims in interviews to build this persona of being an eccentric innovator

Aphex Twin is pretty overrated desu. His tunes are still good, but he's pretty fucking phony.
>>
>>71532479
agreed. dude knocks other artists like radiohead who do electronic music far better than him. idioteque anyone?

i remember when drukqs came out. what a huge disappoint an embarassment as a fan. so inconsistent with few highlights.
>>
drukqs would be his best if it was 40 minutes instead of 1 hour 40. sooo disappointing because tracks like 54 cymru blow me away. that is pioneering shit there!
>>
>>71532513
This is some decent trolling, 7/10
>>
>>71532876
desu I don't understand why people rag on the length of drukqs so much, it's basically perfect as is. the album benefits from having the gorgeous piano/harmonium/whatever tracks, the unique prepared piano tracks, the more ambient beat based tracks, and the full-on balls to the wall drum and bass tracks in one single album. Having only some of these things would ruin the atmosphere of the album.
>>
>>71532935
me trolling? If anyones a troll it's Aphex. Maybe he likes them, maybe he doesn't. He's jealous either way. Radiohead has done electroni/experimental music better than anyone. these guys started as shit britpop band too LOL.

Go look at rym. Kid A #1 on charts no contest.
>>
i wouldn't call him a pioneer in electronic music, but maybe in minimal electronic and idm.

ultramodern electronic music.
>>
>>71532991
nah don't fanboy please. Tracks like Aussois, Bit4, Father, etc are pointless garbage filler.

Avril 14th is a classic. If every piano / modern classical piece was of that quality than sure, but the rest isnt.

Album is 1 hour too long. Some tracks are 2-3 minutes too long.
>>
>>71533040
aussois, bit 4, and father add up to a total of like 1 and a half minutes lmao, the only tracks that could be considered filler are all really short. plus, I personally think Avril 14th is an amazing song, but if you can't appreciate the beauty of tracks like penty harmonium, kesson daslef, btoum-roumada, petiatil cx htdui, or nannou 2, then there's something wrong with you man.
>>
>>71533158
>>71533040
oh shit I forgot jynweythek ylow, id argue that that's a better piece than even avril 14th
>>
>>71533158
they aren't on the same level as avril 14th. i cant consider an album a classic if you have a majority of 5/10s between 1 10/10.

those other tracks are filler. filler is filler doesnt matter of length. it ruins the flow of the album.
>>
>>71533199
I'd argue that all of these tracks are 10/10
>Jynweythek Ylow
>Vordhosbn
>Cock/Ver10
>Avril 14th
>Mt. Saint Michel Mix + St. Michaels Mount
>Gwarek 2 (mainly for the exquisite sound design)
>54 Cymru Beats
>Btoum-Roumada
>Penty Harmonium/QKThr
>Meltphace 6
>Petiatl Cx Htdui
>Ziggomatic V17
>Nannou 2
So (imo) that's 13 10/10 tracks on a 30 track album, almost half. These are the only tracks that I think are filler/lower than a 5/10
>Orban Eq Trx 4
>Aussois
>Hy a Scullyas Lyf a Dhagrow (altho this is like strong 5)
>Lornaderek
>Bit 4
>Father
>>
not an aphex twin fan at all. i do notice one thing in this thread though. the fanboys have yet to show what he pioneered/innovated?
>>
I only ever listened to his singles. what's a good entry album for aphex?
>>
>>71531932
>Except they didn't. You need to hear more albums

Name 5 similar albums prior to 1992 to prove your point.
>>
>>71533929
Selected Ambient Works
>>
>>71533990
RDJ came out in 1996. Also I agree with OP. Sqarepusher's Port Rhombus came out before RDJ and that drum programming is insane. Aphex copied his style.

>>71533994
Selected II is a good place to start yes.
>>
>>71534015
His argument is that SAW85-92 was nothing new. If thats the case then show me music that came first.
>>
>>71534042
OPs argument was for SAW and RDJ frequently citied as the "pioneering" albums.

Im not OP but SAW is ambient meets techno to me that is fusion, nothing pioneering.

As for RDJ, Squarepusher did it first and is better.
>>
>>71534042
biosphere or 808 both came before. now fuck off fanboy.

gotta love these kids who only go for the "popular" artists and don't know where a genre started.

also fuck aphex twin. give me autechre anyday.
>>
saw 1 was influential and quite groundbreaking

his idm style work is influential and quite groundbreaking

aphex twin is a pioneer and influential because he's aphex twin: he's influential because he's influential.
>>
>>71535021
typical response.

hes influential because hes aphex twin hurr durr.

How about, how was it groundbreaking? What did he do that was new?

You fail
>>
>32 posts
>13 IPs
My false-flagger senses are tingling
>>
>>71535099
he didn't necessarily. he simply is influential because he's influential. there's no logic behind who and what becomes influential.
>>
>>71533990
lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43OADtsBOZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5lgHQ9MPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkdH294UAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZBiehG--0
>>
1985 = techno started
1992 = techno starts to get ambient
2001 = peak year of techno, but some bad techno is starting to be made
2010 = wtf skrillex this aint techno
2017 = rip techno goodbye
>>
>>71533990
>>71531932
why the fuck are you retards trying to understand dance music through what songs appeared on albums you dumbasses
>>
>>71535788
Techno started in 1982
>>
>>71535361
last one's terrible, other three are pretty cool
>>
Sean Booth: With, say, Unique 3, it was dance music, and we didn't think about whether it was "intelligent" or not. But then later, there really was a lot of dumb stuff coming out. I dunno, I didn't come up with Artificial Intelligence. You'd have to ask [Warp founder] Rob Mitchell and he's not around any more! I think it was a joke, really. There was a definite tongue-in-cheek thing going on with the AI series initially, everyone knew it was a bit silly. But we were enjoying doing it. Thing is, almost all the artists on that first AI compilation are just like us, they were regular kids, they're not intelligent people particularly. Richard [D. James] is a fucking blagger, Richie Hawtin too... I don't know how the fuck he gets away with the things he does! Alex Paterson, people like that, they're not known for being intellectually powerful, they're just fucking good musicians.
>>
>>71536181
Last one's a classic you smelly sock.
>>
>>71534209
Nobody is talking about RDJ you blind fuck.
>>
why is everyone so mad in this thread
>>
>you will never wonder the suburbs in a boomtown of 2008 with all the pretty new houses at 3am to go to waffle house listening to aphex twin
>>
people say you had to be there, but i got into rdj as a grown adult that had listened to mostly guitar music most of his life and i now consider him one of my favorite artists.

i was lucky, i guess - because i suppose that if you got into techno via any other means you probably think he shit sounds 'dated', mostly because of how much he's been ripped off over the years. and i know this from showing SAW I/II to 'edm' fans these days. i assume any hate directed towards this guy has to come from these sorts of people.
>>
>>71537930
them and a few very vocal and jealous french house producers who frequent these parts
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.