[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/daily/ - 311 Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 93

File: 311-54141d60b7f24.jpg (204KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
311-54141d60b7f24.jpg
204KB, 1000x1000px
CHILL

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

previous thread: >>71509533
>>
>>71525636
Just came in to say thank you
>>
Investigate 311
>>
Why do no 90% of ambient albums on rym have some twelve paragraph long ultra-sentimental non-review with 20+ upvotes where the reviewer talks about their childhood and shedding a single tear every time they play that album and quote Thomas Pynchon or some shit? Imagine if Pitchfork or any other music publication wrote a review like that. People would shit on them SO hard (deservedly).

Can we stop this shit? Like, now, preferably?
>>
Holy shit MacKenzie Theory (and this Out Of The Blue album) is so good. They can get that funky sound in their rock without overdoing it, the textures are so diverse, the violin is absolutely rockin it, too. The note choices are making me smile.
>>
>>71525683
I think the top review on Hampus' Magenta Circuit parodies this pretty well imo:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/hampus_gronvall/magenta_circuit/
>>
>>71525683
Can we just kill this type of reviews for all kinds of music because this happens so much in every other genre

>>71525716
Oh my god i love that review so much
I listened to this ep a while ago and it was p bad desu but not a 1.38 bad, like a 2.05 bad
>>
>>71525757
yeah shit happens all the time and it always is super highly praised. I always find sad singer/songeriter and ambient music are the big offenders though. Can we just talk about what you liked/dislike about the music instead of name-dropping how many philosophers you've read wikipedia summaries about? Shit drives me up the wall.
>>
>>71525683
holy shit I never noticed this but it's so true. I can't think of any examples but I see it all the time.
>>
>>71525853
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/ekkehard-ehlers/plays-john-cassavetes/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/stars_of_the_lid/the_tired_sounds_of_stars_of_the_lid/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gas/pop/

Peep the reviews of these albums that have the most upvotes (not necessarily the ones that show up first). A lot of garbage non-reviews about crying. A common theme in ambient I've noticed.

And just for fun, here's a GOOD highly rated ambient album review:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aphex_twin/selected-ambient-works-volume-ii/
Not incredible or anything, but it actually talks about the MUSIC!! Fancy that!
>>
>>71525821
>sad singer/songwriter and ambient music are the big offenders though
Absolutely correct. I don't mind people just writing about their childhoods and being all super sentimental and emotion, they're not professional reviewers and they don't need to follow any rules to review, but don't try to fucking legitimize it by adding shitty philosopher quotes.

>>71525933
Whenever i do my chart i'm gonna mark every album that has one of these reviews just to see how bad the ratio is. My new chart is mostly bleep and jazz so i dont think i'll find much.
>>
what's your favorite track from hamilton this is mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8aqAgtwqcU

>>71525683
hahahaha
>>
>>71525659
Fuck that's the first thing I thought of
>>
>>71525683
as someone who has penned a review of that very type i apologize
>>
>>71525974
Yeah. I enjoy popular accounts like telephone_junkie and a lot of their funny reviews, but in all honesty 3/4th of their reviews are just like that, and should probably be deleted from RYM because they're usually never actually about the music.

I like how RYM almost never promotes the shit sentimental reviews on the front page and almost all the ones there are actually about the music.

>>71526111
nice trips and good meme
>>
>>71526157
haha it's fine idc but it just annoys me how common they are and how highly they're praised.
>>
>>71525683
a lot of those reviews are shit but I like sentimental reviews, music is emotional so it's nice seeing the attachment others have to it. it does help if they talk about the music at least a little tho.

wew am arguing with you a lot today
>>
>>71526376
Personally, if you're writing a longer review, I think you should never use the word "I" in the first 4th of your review, or even the first paragraph. I've found referencing yourself is an easy way to alienate someone when you're trying to write something convincing. Especially if it doesn't apply to the music. I'm guilty of this in my Kairon; IRSE review that got front-page'd though.

And I like plenty of ultra-sentimental reviews when they're more substance (talking about the music and how it effected them) rather than pure feeling (talking about how they lay in an empty field, quote obscure philosophers, and drink la croix). The latter says nothing to me other than you might have just found this when you were very impressionable.

And I'm saying a lot of edgy shit so it's to be expected haha.
>>
>>71526537
>effected
>>
File: r u serious.png (333KB, 728x593px) Image search: [Google]
r u serious.png
333KB, 728x593px
>>71526557
I suck at my own language. You've probably noticed by now.

Also why does this kind of captcha keep popping up if it never fucking works.
>>
>>71526605
i fucking HATE the street sign ones, literally they are broken

sometimes they want u to hit the squares with the pole in them, sometimes they dont

fucking DAMNIT
>>
File: im having fun!.png (67KB, 232x199px) Image search: [Google]
im having fun!.png
67KB, 232x199px
>>71526605
>>71526697
these are so fun tho! i've never had any trouble with them.
>>
>>71526605
>>71526697
Just set it to use the legacy captcha system you stupid niggers
>>
>>71526767
captcha needs to be easier so dumb apes like me have a chance to shitpost once in a while

>>71526772
but that would make too much sense.
>>
File: First Utterance.jpg (127KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
First Utterance.jpg
127KB, 600x597px
say it with me: Comus is not freak folk!
>>
>>71527340
What's freak folk?
>>
>>71527340
Neither is Exuma
>>
>>71525716
>tfw you STILL haven't heard magenta circuit
I SHOULD JUST S/T
>>
>>71527458
I mean you're not missing much. It's pretty much just the sound of hampus eating chips for nearly half an hour. He himself admits it's just a joke, and it's terrible, boring, and absolutely essential.
>>
>>71527488
have you seen the PDF booklet that comes with it though? It's very important for the listening experience.
>>
>>71527516
lolwut. No. Link pls.
>>
File: 1470429674510.jpg (93KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1470429674510.jpg
93KB, 620x670px
>>71527488
>I-I was just pretending to be a bad musician IRONICALLY guys. I could TOTALLY make good music if I tried h-haha
>>
>>71527531
>>71527516
nvm found a link on slsk

>>71527559
please stop using my name it hurts my feelings ;(
>>
File: iteration 6.png (450KB, 768x706px) Image search: [Google]
iteration 6.png
450KB, 768x706px
>>71527619
itt post your favorite iteration
mine is iteration 6
>>
File: skhul and qafzeh.png (292KB, 741x723px) Image search: [Google]
skhul and qafzeh.png
292KB, 741x723px
>>71527784
looks like bootleg Uncle Meat lmao.

mine's GOTTA be skhul and qafzeh, mainly because they sound like made-up Liturgy words but are actually real.
>>
>>71527865
>made-up Liturgy words
are you telling me kel valhaal and haelegen aren't real words
>>
pubic train
>>
>>71527784
Check this out
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p75BvKLauuA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SieOXclOag0
>>
File: me_irl.jpg (12KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
me_irl.jpg
12KB, 320x320px
>>71528136
>el violador de conejos
collab with bad bunny when

this looks like a parody of reggaeton desu, the very very straightforward lyrics and video, very simple beat, short length and wacky looking emcee gives off that vibe. especially that weird instagram video that plays at the end. still a pretty solid track, where's he from? pretty obvious it's not a puertorican.

mega francesita was alright, mix of house/edm music with reggaeton, but it didn't interest me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9xFEf4DSc
you hear the new bad bunny track?
>>
>>71528286
Haven't listened to this one
>good mix of edm and reggaeton
The focus is the hatsune miku sample desu, that's the kind of shit i am looking forward to. And yes it's kind of a parody but he seems serious about it. The track is straight fire with women and it fucking bangs. And no, this new Bad Bunny track i haven't check, i will later. Bad Bunny is the most interesting guy in reggaeton right now, his flow is amazing and he is even making a bunch of venezuelan rappers go trap. Right now it's either him, Bryant Mayers and Arcangel (EL DUENDE MALVADO) as the front runners of latin trap. All based lads. #RG4L #freeanuel
>>
File: deletepg.jpg (40KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
deletepg.jpg
40KB, 344x344px
Any Pig Destroyer fans here? Heard an interesting interpretation regarding Prowler in the Yard and it's intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlSZwCoXDU

"Does anyone else think that the intro might be a metaphor for how we as fans of brutal music interpret the art form in comparison to the rest of the world? The girls are the music, the perverted guy is us and the lady is reflective of mainstream attitudes towards extreme expressions of transgressive art."
>>
File: Puerto_Rico_statehood.png (262KB, 812x8784px) Image search: [Google]
Puerto_Rico_statehood.png
262KB, 812x8784px
>>71528592
>The focus is the hatsune miku sample desu
Didnt notice lol

I dont know about venezuelan rappers much so i'll take your word for it

Arcangel's been in the game since 2004 though, glad he made a comeback and with actual good music haha. I think right now bryant myers is the front runner of latin trap and bad bunny is the up and comer that's gonna change the scene. That is, until Anuel comes outta jail #freeanuel
>>
>>71528864
hecc yeh, me and nyar iirc. And I don't think it's that deep, but it's an interesting interpretation.

>>71528286
>>71528917
sicc love me some polball
>>
File: 2017 Tourney.png (1MB, 1568x998px) Image search: [Google]
2017 Tourney.png
1MB, 1568x998px
nyar recs:

Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions Featuring Seu Jorge (2005)
>film soundtrack, acoustic rock, MPB

Portugese covers of Bowie songs with a nice MPB twist. It's all really pleasant, and Jorge is a great vocalist and guitarist, but this is really just background music at it's core. The rhythmic differences and of course the differences in volume make these songs different from Bowie's originals, but besides that the songs are all still here, written the same way they were when they were first recorded. In making Bowie's music more low-key you lose a lot of the great moments present in the original tracks, namely the great choruses. The soaring choruses of "Starman" and "Life on Mars?", to name a few, lose a lot when the arrangements are taken out and replaced with pleasant acoustic guitar stuff. I like this, it's a pleasant listen and a nice addendum to both Bowie and Jorge's catalogues, along with the film itself, but it's not anything I would ever return to, Jorge's great but no one can really do justice to these tracks and make covers of them worthwhile at all.

2.5-

stick recs:

Vladislav Delay - Kuopio (2012)
>dub techno, ambient techno

Wow, I didn't know this guy could make something as banging and hard-hitting as this. Entain and Vocalcity are both great albums, but they're far from what I would consider "hard-hitting", they're nice, smooth, occasionally glitchy ambient techno albums. This, however, borders on industrial techno at some points, and it's pretty fucking awesome. Not big on the more ambient tracks, and sometimes the tracks take a bit too long to get going, but most of this is /really/ damn good. I always kinda thought that Vladislav Delay burned out early in his career because I've rarely heard any fanfare for his most recent stuff, but this is one of the more interesting, banging, most entertaining techno releases I've heard in a while.

3.0+

Stick wins!!!

Should I steal 20 albums from your RYM?
>>
>>71529214
:D
You've probably heard most of my 4.5s so take all of those you haven't heard then tell me how many more you need.
>>
>>71529283
Oh and my 5s obviously
>>
File: unfold.jpg (331KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
unfold.jpg
331KB, 1200x1200px
>The Necks - Unfold

This is their 19th studio album and still no dip in quality. In fact, Blue Mountain may be one of their best tracks ever. Though it's difficult to classify a best Necks track since most of their records are released as one.

Unfold is not so much an album as it is a collection of songs. The Necks have stated that there is no intended ordering of the four 15-20 minute tracks and they encourage people to figure out an order that suits them. Perhaps it's a little gimmicky, but I don't dislike this idea. I'll start off with Blue Mountain since it's my aforementioned personal favorite and I've been listening to it non-stop. The way this song builds is nothing short of orgasmic. The Necks slowly craft and build these massive, lumbering epics without drifting off into noise or solo wankery, which is probably why I love almost all of their output. Blue Mountain is one of the best examples of this and it rivals Flood by Boris (though to be fair to Flood, Blue Mountain does not spend as long a time building up).

It starts off like any Necks track would, and once again I am astounded by the range of sounds that this band is able to squeeze out of piano, drums, and bass. Though this album in particular adds a lot of ancillary percussion. They are these metallic sounds that I can't easily classify. The track continues, a piano riff being the main focus that dances on top of the rolling drums and the twinkling chimes in the background. The double bass is slowly chugging along as well, sometimes swelling quietly in the background but never overtaking the piano. It's kind of a melancholy tune and very hypnotic. It's like jazzy ASMR to me.

(1/2)
>>
>>71529313
The track evolves so slowly that you don't even notice it, and all of a sudden, the drums are really pounding now, cymbals are clashing, and the piano has become more pensive. You need to listen to this song LOUD. And I mean LOUD. It's really something. From here on out, it can't be described, only experienced. The way they hold this behemoth together without devolving into complete chaos really speaks to this band's genius and skill. Once again, before you know it, it’s over and you bask in the glory.

While the remaining 3 tracks don’t come close to Blue Mountain in terms of quality, I think they are quite good when compared to most of their songs, and like I mentioned before, their percussion is super inventive this time around. Timepiece, the longest track on the album, is a pretty big departure from their regular sound, surging forth from the primordial ooze. It’s off kilter and tribal sounding though still being, as usual, hypnotic and evolving. The track is muddy, dark, and almost industrial if not for the shimmering piano to lighten the mood. Unfortunately, as interesting as this track sounds, the progression isn’t the best, only getting more energetic over time and not going anywhere particularly interesting. As mood music, it works well.

Rise is kind of the polar opposite, with a standard sound but with really fucking weird progression that sounds like a bunch of instruments being played separately, somewhat coming together and making sense briefly before slightly shifting off to something else. I like it quite a lot. It’s nice when this kind of laid back music fucks with your expectations.

(lol I misjudged how much I wrote there's another part)
>>
>>71529338
Overhear is my least favorite off this album because of this rather annoying instrument that is constantly in the background. I don’t know what the fuck it is, but it sounds like someone scraping something or shaking rice in a metal bowl. It would have an ASMR-like quality to it if it wasn’t so damn loud. Despite this, the organ playing on this track is stellar and the constant seesaw heartbeat of the bass is pleasant. It’s the most minimal track on this album, and to be honest it holds the album back a lot, and I bet a lot of people who listen to this album will absolutely hate this track but oh well.

Overall, great album despite minor flaws that presents a deep atmosphere to get lost in, which is what I always look for in music. So yeah take this review with a grain of salt because I’m becoming a fanboy and in my eyes these guys can do no wrong.

tl;dr listen to blue mountain holy shit it’s so good it’s on spotify, it’s 20 minutes long, you have no excuse
>>
File: n93Pc5y.png (53KB, 690x1638px) Image search: [Google]
n93Pc5y.png
53KB, 690x1638px
>>71529174
Puerto rico polandball is great but i wish there were more than 5 of them
>>
File: Droning Trip Up Stick.png (2MB, 2604x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Droning Trip Up Stick.png
2MB, 2604x1800px
the big winners drone!!!

trip up, does this look good?

>>71529283
>>71529303
nah, there are actually still some 4.5s left. tell me if i should replace any of the ones i used.
>>
>>71529464
Holy frick no way you haven't listened to Mercury Rev and SAW II yet.

Other avs here are Fishmans (duh), Autechre, Sparklehorse, Aksak Maboul, Zappa (not even his top 5 live albums though), and Lee Noble like damn this might as well be a mini-Fish drone too have fun with this man.

All Delighted People has some of Suffy's best and most relistenable opening track, and is super bloated. Predicting a 2.0/2.5.

I predict you will give 2.5 to Godspeed even though that's their best (follow a reply to this post with their best IS a 2.5 hur hur so original).
>>
>>71529539
if you think allelujah is better than slow riot you need to get your head checked (also nat will pan it)
>>
>>71529464
Do Sum of the Men by MitB instead of SOAD, and do Castlemania instead of A Weird Exits
>>
>>71529609
Okay ya know what no you're right.

Slow Riot > Allelujah > FA∞ > Skinny Fists > Yankee > Asunder

I'm sure everyone else would probably swap skinny fists and allelujah but I'm edgy like that mang.

Hot opinion: crescendocore is 100% best post-rock and GY!BE has one of the most solid, consistent outputs of any band ever.

Hell yeah I am BLASTING Godspeed tonight when I'm slammed and no one is gonna stop me.
>>
>>71529539
even i was shocked that i haven't heard those yet.

and this is how you get back at me for losing you sneaky fish

F#A#infinity and LYSF are both 3.0 albums to me btw, so i predict the same with 'allelujah!
>>
File: 1442887341547.jpg (234KB, 748x858px) Image search: [Google]
1442887341547.jpg
234KB, 748x858px
>>71529673
>F#A#infinity and LYSF are both 3.0 albums to me btw
isn't everything??

If you give Allelujah more than a 3.0- then jangle has to give me $5. But if the reverse happens jangle also has to give me $5.

Jangle. Give me $5.
>>
>>71529672
I still need to listen to Slow Riot
>>
File: 20170311_223657.png (241KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_223657.png
241KB, 719x719px
>tfw you write your goodnight post replying to a bunch of things but it gets deleted
Hhhhhhhhh

https://youtu.be/7_HIEQRp_ZI

>>71529464
The jazz albums here are great, especially Monk (his best by far!)
I have an original pressing of that king crimson album i got for $10 from some guy at a record convention but it's in the nastiest condition possible. Still the best crimson tho

>system of a down
Haha, that albums actually not too bad, hopeyou like it

>>71529672
>Slow Riot > Allelujah > FA∞ > Skinny Fists > Yankee > Asunder
100% correct!

>>71529672
>Hot opinion: crescendocore is 100% best post-rock and GY!BE has one of the most solid, consistent outputs of any band ever.
Oh....
>>
>>71529672
i think if you swap allelujah and f#a# and add some >>>>> between yankee and asunder you're good but the most important thing is slow riot
>>
>>71529711
It's not even 30 minutes and it's best godspeed and also probably on youtube so you have L I T E R A L L Y no excuse.

>>71529716
I called it a hot opinion for a reason bub ;)

>>71529725
ight we good

I really enjoyed Asunder actually but I'm a GYBE fanboy idec
>>
>>71529613
Actually fuck it, do SOAD instead of thee oh sees
>>
>>71529464
that is a juicy ass chart dude, looks great. think it works really well b/c stick and i seem to have v different taste
>>
Right, I just finished listening to Parallel Lines, and being fair, I throughly enjoyed the arguably power pop songs in the album - "Hanging in the Telephone", "One Way or Another", "11:59"...

Any similar reccomendations?

Yes, I know, plebian taste, but, still.
>>
>>71529464
although i could see you HATING tyranny
>>
>>71525346
t. fartsniffer

>>71525683
There was already a pig rant on this subject.
It's probably magnified for minimalist music due to their being less actual subject matter.
>>
>music is slowed down to -30%
>4 days in
>everything is reduced to some sludgy vaporware
recommended/10
>>
>>71529765
I feel like Asunder really did not compare to the scale of their earlier works. It was so unmemorable and boring. Also it's not even new material.
>>
2MB, 2604x1800px
>>71529710
what happens if i five star it?

>>71529716
>(his best by far!)
very very excited for it, i've never been too big on Monk but it's always been because I don't like the performances of his sidemen, so him solo sounds awesome.

and i've got a soft spot for SoaD, because their singles were near and dear to me when I was (even) younger.

>>71529794
bold choice!

>>71529835
i was thinking that, your taste falls a lot more on the indie side and stick's is mostly metal/electronic.
>>
>>71529846
ooh you gotta check out the Cars and Big Star if you want more old-school power pop.

>>71529854
i like human sadness and where no eagles fly so it could go either way
>>
>>71529884
that pig was about shit music reviews in general, mine is definitely more specific.

>>71529905
>what happens if i five star it?
jangle gives me $5

have you heard any other zappa live stuff? What did you think of it?

>>71529895
to me, new studio recording = new material, as I wouldn't have heard it otherwise.
>>
>>71529938
man, every time i think i can pinpoint your taste I'm off
also have you heard women's s/t? even if you don't put it on this chart you should check it out eventually
>>
>>71529214
>I lost to the person in first
>I'm basically 2nd

>>71529710
>If you give Allelujah more than a 3.0- then jangle has to give me $5. But if the reverse happens jangle also has to give me $5.
DEAL.

>>71529956
>that pig was about shit music reviews in general, mine is definitely more specific.
nope wrong
>>
File: Shared Chart Triangle.png (3MB, 1680x1757px) Image search: [Google]
Shared Chart Triangle.png
3MB, 1680x1757px
caught up again, feels good.

Abdel Karim el Kabli - Sudan: The Music and Songs of Abdel Karim el Kably (????)
>nubian music

There is a /lot/ of passion here, but it's very low-key. el Kably's playing and singing is very calm and controlled, but there's a lot of power and feeling underneath the surface. While the tracks might sometimes feel a bit too passive and unobtrusive, the performance here makes up for any shortcomings in the actual songwriting, so the album is just a damn nice listen. I've gotta dig into more nubian music.

>>
>>71530027
you're on fukker

also how is mine not more specific? It's about shitty reviewing that occurs primarily in two genres very consistently, while the yours is pretty broad (but also true).
>>
>>71529956
i actually haven't, weirdly enough, but i've got roxy & elsewhere and the shut up 'n play yer guitar comp downloaded so i'll check em out soon.

>>71530001
i haven't, even though i love public strain. i'll listen to it soon, tonight probably.

>>71530027
solid logic
>>
Fucc bois, do I go out tonight, or stay home and listen to music.
>>
>>71529884
>that image
t. autism
>>
>>71530106
I mean he's not wrong. Self-inserting is a great way to do ensure your review is shit, but in writing in general it's pretty tacky and frowned upon.
>>
>>71529956
Yeah its not a general criticism but it's part of why I didn't like it especially
>>
>>71530071
>soon, tonight probably
hype
>>
>>71530028
>caught up
Except it's the 11th

Also
>not using the most recently updated chart

Dun fucked up
>>
>>71530068
>also how is mine not more specific? It's about shitty reviewing that occurs primarily in two genres very consistently, while the yours is pretty broad (but also true).
The only thing you added is to say it's more prevalent in certain types of music, but it's the exact same gripe.
>>
File: March.png (2MB, 3386x2604px) Image search: [Google]
March.png
2MB, 3386x2604px
Boy I'm really slowing down w/ these. This chart may have been too ambitious

Henry Flynt - You Are My Everlovin/Celestial Power
>Drone, Minimalism, Free Folk

This is exactly the kind of stuff /daily/ loves but I just can’t for the life of me get into. The concept is quite unique, as Flynt blends Hindustani Classical music with some country/folk influences. It feels a lot like the Pelt album I checked out, with repetitive instrumentation (duh) but also some little folky in a weird way. There’s some hillbilly blues kind of stuff thrown in here, which makes this interesting, particularly on “Celestial Power”. But I think this is a prime example of an album that’s much better in concept that execution, I couldn’t get into this at all.

2.0/5

Doing Kinks next and then probably Pedro Santos
>>
>>71530222
can i get a "wew"
>>
>>71530222
dude delete this
>>
>>71530222
You fucked up, my guy.
>>
I'm about to watch yojimbo what am I in for lads
>>
>>71530222
i'll give u a 2/5 u fucking FASCIST
>>
>>71530210
i meant caught up to today, i'm listening to the 11th's album rn.

and i didn't even realize you listened to the last album, wew.
>>
>>71530212
+length
+name-dropping philosopher/author
+crying
+how acclaimed they are
+ambient/singersongwriter

so I'd say it's pretty specific. It's a similar gripe for sure though. And it's a common problem anyone who uses the site runs into anyways.

>>71530222
o hecc

redeemed by trips tho
>>
>>71530234
W E W L A D

E

W

L

A

D

>>71530234
>>71530246
>>71530263
>>71530281
>>71530297
Knew I'd get this kind of response, I just don't like drone at all lol. Doesn't do much for me even though it's a cool concept
>>
>>71530391
I even fucked up the formatting on the wew. Christ
>>
I'm at work rn and adult swim is playing on the tv and I swear there was part of an autechre song on one of those commercial bumps.
>>
rap...

crap....

cRAP???

???

ure only woke if u noticed this
>>
>>71530297
wrong
>>
>>71530781
>>
File: mfw_feeling_the_bern.jpg (143KB, 1366x780px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_feeling_the_bern.jpg
143KB, 1366x780px
>>71530847
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwDaFdVd8U

anyone got a hot take on this?
>>
POST you're face when jangle is a libertarian
>>
>>71530947
>>
File: Geza X- You Goddam Kids! (1981).jpg (128KB, 600x589px) Image search: [Google]
Geza X- You Goddam Kids! (1981).jpg
128KB, 600x589px
Who's responsible for recommending this to me? Because I have just one thing to say to you. Outstanding! I Liked every single track. I'd almost say it's infectious, if it wasn't so late I woulda bounced off a goddamn wall.

Thank you, I needed something like this after being mostly bored from earlier today.
>>
File: POPULAH MUSHIC ISH UREYENAL.jpg (42KB, 462x593px) Image search: [Google]
POPULAH MUSHIC ISH UREYENAL.jpg
42KB, 462x593px
>>71530947
>>
File: Lk5rwcb.jpg (39KB, 807x537px) Image search: [Google]
Lk5rwcb.jpg
39KB, 807x537px
>>71530947
>>
>>71529464
>hasn't heard candlemass yet
BOI
you in for a treat
>>
File: ulul.png (94KB, 484x327px) Image search: [Google]
ulul.png
94KB, 484x327px
>>71530947
>>
>>71531076
agh... I want my mommy!
>>
File: bedead.jpg (83KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
bedead.jpg
83KB, 720x960px
>>71530947
>>
>>71531403

There was really goofy shit on there, but it was backed up with legitimately good music. Perfect use of saxaphone stabs, nice electronic textures, those angular melodies you tend to hear in a lot of New Wave that were just great here. I mean goddamn, it was fantastic.
>>
>>71531468
It's a great record for sure, most people 'round here tend to bash poor ol' zolo, I'm glad we've found ourselves another fan.

Check out Snakefinger - Greener Postures sometime.
>>
>>71531530

I have heard Snakefinger before, actually, all three of his albums. I've also heard Renaldo & The Loaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n84gukSyyhE

This song still pops into my head. I love the low-fi sound, the goofy nursery rhyme lyrics contrasting with this serious moody bass part that comes right after, and then back to the goofy lyrics.
>>
>>71531366
i'm excited, def one of the records i'm most hyped for on there.
>>
>>71531724
A lot of people from daily I've added don't seem to like it too much, not sure why.
Also you should be most hyped for Autechre
>>
>>71531768
probably, i'm really excited to dig deeper into their discog.
>>
File: daily2.png (4MB, 2954x1680px) Image search: [Google]
daily2.png
4MB, 2954x1680px
>Gang Starr - Moment of Truth

It was good, not amazing though. I found myself bored a lot of the time, especially wasn't a fan of the more melancholic tracks. However I loved pretty much all the sampling and the turntable shit. The more upbeat tracks were awesome too.

3.5/5
>>
Good morning /daily/!

Listening to Tom Waits in some Slav ghetto. Good stuff.

What you guys up to?
>>
>>71530947
(jokes aside I don't actually subscribe to any off-the-shelf political ideology)

>>71532422
Nice, doing him chronologically?
I'm listening to Scrapper Blackwell and getting ready for bed.
>>
>>71532554
>Scrapper Blackwell
very nice
>>
File: IMG_6869.png (84KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6869.png
84KB, 750x1334px
Who hype? I know I am!
>>71532554
Yup!
>>
3MB, 1680x1757px
友川かずき - 肉声 (Nikusei) (1976)
>avant-folk, contemporary folk

You've all gushed over this guy's vocals, and I have to agree with this praise. The guttural, earth-shaking vocals really are quite wonderful, and they convey a lot of emotion and passion that the instrumentals and songs themselves really don't. That being said, the instrumentation is mostly just normal '70s folk stuff. When it's just Tomokawa and his guitar, it's great, but the more fully orchestrated tracks are unmemorable at best, carried only by the vocal performance. It's not a bad album, but I'd really love to see these vocals used in a much more fitting context.

2.5+
>>
>>71532658
!!!!
cool!
>>
File: Freeform Chart 6.png (1MB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart 6.png
1MB, 1560x720px
Women - Women (2008)
>noise rock, post-punk

Like a scrapbook of strewn-together ideas for the much more coherent, focused, and better Public Strain. They definitely flex their more experimental tendencies here, with some drone and noise tracks thrown into the mix with more straight-up post-punk and indie rock, but these experimental tracks really amount to nothing. They feel like filler on a 30-minute album, and they don't do much besides take away time from the really great songwriting here. The songwriting is pretty damn great. Not as good as it is on their folllow-up, but they write a damn good pop song, and the noisier, punkier tracks are well-written as well. It's just a shame that the tracks that showcase this talent are somewhat few and far between, pushed to the side in favor of tracks that don't sit well with me a single bit.

2.5-
>>
>>71532256
I could see that. Moment of Truth is a bit bloated toward the end but the first few songs are amazing imo. I hope you liked the production, seeing as you said you enjoyed more in-depth stuff. DJ Premier is the king of sampling
>>
>>71532740
this i expected actually
how about shaking hand tho what a tune
>>
File: pigger_thumbs_up.jpg (10KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
pigger_thumbs_up.jpg
10KB, 168x168px
>>71532597
One of these days I'm just gonna do the entire flippin Yazoo catalog.

>>71532658
Nice!
>>
File: teatimeforthosedetermined.jpg (61KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
teatimeforthosedetermined.jpg
61KB, 600x600px
this shit still goes so hard, I wonder when their next collab is coming
>>
>>71532860
>tfw I'll never download the whole Yazoo or Chronological Classics catalog because WCD is dead and I'm too lame to get in another tracker
What should I listen to while I kill myself?
>>
>>71532658
ooh nice!

>>71532827
def my favorite track, the guitar work is insane.
>>
>>71532933
Dock Boggs - Oh Death

>tfw Origin Jazz Library will never reissue it's 60's back catalog of country blues comps
>>
Bump (for the culture)
>>
daily2.png
4MB, 2954x1680px
>Murmuüre - Murmuüre

Pretty bland lo-fi electronic/ bm. I know it's lo-fi, and sometimes poor production works, but it didn't on here. Nothing really special at all in this thing; it's not necessarily offensive though

2.5/5
>>
Fucking love Geogaddi more than life itself
>>
File: 1210217.jpg (12KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1210217.jpg
12KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2sttBzip-8
>>
>>71533776
If Murmuure is bland lo-fi electronic/bm, I'd like to hear some good lo-fi electronic/bm.

I have yet to hear anything like it though.
>>
>>71529214
Bullshit
Rigged
Underage ban
You don't even listen to nat king cole you phony
>>
>>71532915
this year according to Oren's twitter
>>
>>71534127
well played, m'dailyboi
>>
>>71532693
That's pretty much how I felt about it. The songwriting gets much better further on.
>>
does anyone have that copypasta with the huge list of experimental/"poseurcore" artists?
>>
>>71534408
Oh I'm really into avant experimental music, Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, DNA, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Nang Nang, Haruomi Hosono, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Nara Leão, Basic Channel, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Noah Howard, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Boyd Rice, Mahmoud Ahmed, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Aporea, Half Japanese, Mega Banton, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Robbie Basho, Phil Spector, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Frances Baskerville, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krüsi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Yat-Kha, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pärson Sound, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, Arthur Doyle, Shizuka, The Red Krayola, Henry Cow, Magma, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Ksiezyc, Gong, Cukor Bila Smert', cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze and Kaoru Abe, I guess you can say I'm something of a buff on all things weird and dark
>>
File: string quartet no 1-1.png (345KB, 2461x2914px) Image search: [Google]
string quartet no 1-1.png
345KB, 2461x2914px
If anyone is experienced at all with composition, could they give me any feedback or criticism regarding this string quartet I've started? I'm not that experienced with this kind of composition so I'd like to know how I'm doing. I'll see if I can upload an mp3 somewhere as well.
>>
File: 0d1.jpg_large.jpg (22KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
0d1.jpg_large.jpg
22KB, 640x559px
>>71534572
perfect
>>
>Alt R&B
All I'm gonna say

>>71532658
Whaaaat

>>71534572
Hell yeah

>>71532740
Fuck u post-punk WILL NEVER DIE!!
>>
>>71534655
u ok m8
>>
My split with HNM is out!

https://harshnoisemovement.bandcamp.com/album/one-day-in-march
>>
File: 1212542.jpg (12KB, 150x149px) Image search: [Google]
1212542.jpg
12KB, 150x149px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKB8XKSMq30
>>
>>71525683
you gotta admit though those >>> cynical one-sentence "jokes"/remarks
like urs

how'd you convey emotional affection like that without writing a diary entry though? srs q. i've seen some rymers write poems to vaguely match the feel of the album which shut up that's fucking genius

>>71533978
>I'd like to hear some good lo-fi electronic/bm.
Immortal Life :^|
>>
Good morning! Should i start listening to Prince of Denmark's 8, Jan Garbarek's Sart, or watch a movie

>>71530276
I tried to watch it on friday but my download didnt work :(

>>71532658
Who even is harsh noise movement
>>
File: 1209449.jpg (13KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1209449.jpg
13KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4rI07nxwY
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw

not exactly surprising, but fuck me he really could sing
>>
Can someone explain to me the comparisons of this album with Trout Mask Replica? It's not bad per se, but it's nothing like Beefheart's music - the complexity is completely lacking.
>>
File: 1444269.jpg (234KB, 1360x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1444269.jpg
234KB, 1360x1360px
>>71535933
forgot image
>>
File: 1213544.jpg (11KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1213544.jpg
11KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHe9NpYbQw
>>
>>71529672
more like

FA > Fists >Yankee > Riot > Allelujah > Asunder

nerd
>>
>>71535957
HD AUDIO
>>
>>71536144
(REMASTERED)
>>
>>71533978
ok so I started looking deeper into alantutorial

what seemed to me to just be a fun channel based on one or two out of context videos is now
a messed up one

great channel desu

currently watching the alantutorial explained vid (won't finish tho because studying) but wew what a channel
>>
File: 1215286.jpg (10KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1215286.jpg
10KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm93kv9J7tw
>>
>>71535933
a little bit of lyrics, a little bit of the guitar style/tone in some places, a little bit of sensationalism

>>71536293
gud album
>>
File: 1219370.jpg (10KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1219370.jpg
10KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXDMosqwSU
>>
>>71534127
I still commend you for reccing the only 3.5 tourney

and I probably should listen to the real non poseur nat
>>
File: 1221787.jpg (10KB, 150x147px) Image search: [Google]
1221787.jpg
10KB, 150x147px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6DvbEVHcI
>>
File: 1488119030442.jpg (40KB, 373x374px) Image search: [Google]
1488119030442.jpg
40KB, 373x374px
we metal now (now)
https://youtu.be/lgNLcy-LB98
https://youtu.be/l0idKmP9xgg
https://youtu.be/CjEiRYUPI5M
https://youtu.be/_z3FcSWJvJw
https://youtu.be/BtQ0i3oOYdc
>>
>>71536577
summoning is cool because they made midi doot metal over hip hop beats before hunter
>>
>>71536633
I have not heard the Liturgy rap song, can you link it?
>>
File: 1229111.jpg (9KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1229111.jpg
9KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mrY9u3KUUY
>>
>>71536653
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXlo5CIyiGQ
embryoooooooooooooooooooooo
vitrioooooooooooooooool
>>
File: 1229412.jpg (9KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1229412.jpg
9KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hFrCRss2rM
>>
>>71536653
which one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN4BncLvXic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhpOQsYMFIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxvmpiYjnbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzRsgGoUS4A

>>71536662
>tfw no satanic quads
>>
File: 1235860.jpg (13KB, 150x147px) Image search: [Google]
1235860.jpg
13KB, 150x147px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLIwidBubg
>>
libertarians should all be rounded up and bombed
>>
>>71536670
>>71536683
apex öpö
>>
File: 1235935.jpg (13KB, 148x150px) Image search: [Google]
1235935.jpg
13KB, 148x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwRBb08wI4
>>
>>71534587
>posting this in /daily/
lmao
>>
>>71534587
imo rap over it and add a few wacky sounds randomly that'd be cool imo
>>
>>71530276
yea hi
>>
>>71534587
looks a tad boring, lack of rhythmic variation, melody never changes voices, no counterpoint

but for someone who's never done this before it looks fine
>>
File: 1238133.jpg (7KB, 150x148px) Image search: [Google]
1238133.jpg
7KB, 150x148px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KySr2rBvHE
>>
File: topsters2.png (2MB, 1890x830px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.png
2MB, 1890x830px
>A Separation
fuck cliffhangers desu
>>
File: 7drHiqr.gif (973KB, 312x213px) Image search: [Google]
7drHiqr.gif
973KB, 312x213px
>>71529464
>Yerself is Steam

>>71530391
rip
>>
>>71525683
i can kinda get it on the grounds of ambient being about projecting landscapes into your mind, but to me it just shows a lack of imagination.
"i know this album is supposed to make me think of the sprawling landscape of the desert as symbolic of a sea of sparse but beautiful human emotion, but i used to listen to it in the car and fall asleep to it a lot so it's that."
>>
File: Zo32PznPpdmJmNu8FImPx3R-W7E.jpg (246KB, 900x698px) Image search: [Google]
Zo32PznPpdmJmNu8FImPx3R-W7E.jpg
246KB, 900x698px
>>71530222
inferior to actual hindustani classical or la monte's/conrad's stuff so yee i guess
>>
File: 1489286162473s.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489286162473s.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
always thought this was a cock but it's actually a pistol wow..
>>
File: Rolling_Stones_1971.jpg (218KB, 1154x784px) Image search: [Google]
Rolling_Stones_1971.jpg
218KB, 1154x784px
>>71538578
p sure it's a penis
>>
>>71538578
euphemistic....
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/amm/ammmusic/

Is this supposed to sound like it's mainly coming through one ear?
>>
File: 1483629476286.jpg (122KB, 692x864px) Image search: [Google]
1483629476286.jpg
122KB, 692x864px
>>71539224
maybe you've got an infect
so do i atm, sucky desu
>>
File: yuitea.png (41KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
yuitea.png
41KB, 200x200px
>>71539264
na everything else that i listen to sounds perfectly fine

also nice yui
>>
daily2.png
4MB, 2954x1680px
>AMM - AMMMusic

Kinda disappointed in this. I can see how revolutionary this is, but it wasn't enjoyable really. The first track was bad, especially the production on it (for some reason sound mainly came out of one ear? i tested other things and everything else sounded normal), and the second track was kinda decent, but nothing amazing. I do have respect for it though.

3/5
>>
File: 3627565.jpg (28KB, 194x300px) Image search: [Google]
3627565.jpg
28KB, 194x300px
>>71528864
Yeah! I actually just read that earlier this week!! I think it all makes sense though. I feel like the lyrics on their albums are close to that level at the very least as well. Very good band, and I think Prowler is my favorite by them, with Terrifyer as a close second.

>>71533776
>bland
:'( I've always been quite the fan. Even if some would say it isn't really black metal, it's quite the album if you ask me.

What do you /daily/ kids think of this thing? I'd say, though it's VERY long, it's one of the most fun albums to listen to, and it's certainly one of my favorite DJ Mixes.
>>
Page 10 wew
>>
>>71539628
You'd like DJ Playero - Playero 37
I need to listen to that mix
>>
>>71540561
let it die
*insert image of sicilian boys with guns*
>>
>>71536281
yeah man, that's the beauty of it, the transition from lighthearted to dark is well executed.

I had the pleasure of watching it unfold, not really knowing who was behind it. It was quite disturbing.
>>
File: 1488977014920.jpg (34KB, 317x495px) Image search: [Google]
1488977014920.jpg
34KB, 317x495px
>>71540903
>the transition from lighthearted to dark
so he's like endless jess except with tutorials instead of reviews? i might check him out too i guess
>>
>>71540960
Hmm I wouldn't really compare him to endless jess because there's no persona attached to it, you kinda just see a strange progression, there's a meta story happening in the background that you have to piece together through visual clues. Not that it's "deep" or hard to understand or anything, it's kinda obvious.

Do you listen to the TPC podcast btw?
>>
>>71525716
>Schopenhauer - was it Schopenhauer? Yes, I believe so - anyway
for fuck's sake
>>
>>71541008
>Do you listen to the TPC podcast btw?
i listened to like two before getting bored
i already follow some channel that uploads lengthy philosophy talks every other day that's enough background noise
i'll watch digi's vlogs from time to time, i don't really care for his opinions on anime per say but he's probably doing something right with the way he presents himself because he seems relatable/approachable i guess. his MSI video was a pretty good intro to the band ngl
>>
>>71541221
Yeah the later ones are pretty good if you like people yelling at each other about dumb shit, but most I put on as background noise to fall asleep to.

I watch digi a lot. I don't agree with his opinions on most things and his taste in anime is definitely weird, but I simply like the way he talks.
>>
File: a1706687347_10.jpg (364KB, 1000x1005px) Image search: [Google]
a1706687347_10.jpg
364KB, 1000x1005px
Jib Kidder - Steal Guitar
>Plunderphonics, Country & Western

Aptly named, it’s all in the genre descriptors. It’s a plunderphonics/instrumental hip hop album that heavily samples county and western music. It’s got a consistently lighthearted, jangly vibe to it, and although few tracks really stand out, it is consistently groovy. Kidder is not afraid to sit on a quick loop of a few samples for a while, but he’s also completely okay with only running a loop only one or twice before shifting gears. It comes off as a bit of a tex mex beat tape honestly. If you’re looking for “Frontier Psychiatrist”-level dementedness in its western-themed sampling, this project would disappoint, but it’s a fun little listen.

6+/10
>>
>>71541773
spoopy, i was asking about JIb Kidder yesterday, love the jangly style particularly on this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmkWGPAs90

just the songs are a bit boring on the album i've listened to, will check this out
>>
>>71541867
The song in that video is similar, with more punchy pop production and vocals

I like how warbled those vocals are too
>>
I am listening to the 311 album right now and I am feeling a deep nostalgia but I feel kinda wrong for listening to 311.. I don't know how to feel.
>>
>>71542437
If you like it, you like it

no shame
>>
>>71542469
The lyrics are dope

Good messages that I didn't hear in the past
>>
File: cover.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>71542437
you could listen to 311 without listening to 311 if that's what you want
>>
>>71539628
jungle spliff is one of the best things ever, I love it so damn much.
>>
>>71542437
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1450149234/help-me-to-weigh-311-pounds

probably like this guy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaBXEW4nimw
>>
daily2.png
4MB, 2954x1680px
>Scott Walker - Bish Bosch

Bad. It honestly sounded like he was fucking around a lot of the time. His voice was annoying in this, and the whole story telling thing wasn't interesting. Musically it wasn't bad (when there was music, a lot of it was him talking over silence). Tilt/ The Drift were much better.

2/5
>DNA - DNA on DNA

I wish I enjoyed this more than I did. It wasn't bad, but I was looking forward to it ending. I've never been huge into no wave.

3/5
>Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom

One of the weaker releases by Phil. Not very intriguing. The whole thing was like his song "How?", except not as great. The whole nature-esque sound of it all was comfy as usual though.

3/5
>>
File: e7fea467.jpg (290KB, 567x571px) Image search: [Google]
e7fea467.jpg
290KB, 567x571px
Blanche Blanche Blanche - Wink With Both Eyes
>Minimal Synth, Bedroom Pop, Twee

One of those lo-fi indie/noise/bedroom pop records with demure, disaffected twee male and female vocals, all over minimal synth stuff. It’s often oddly, densely, almost pointlessly polyrhythmic to the point of near arhythmic-ness. And like many albums that take a similar approach, it has its moments where it reaches some moments of unintentionally beautiful syncopation. Like, even if the loops are running with different lengths, eventually they’ll line up with a well-placed vocal melody, and it just sounds perfect for good 2-3 seconds. Early in the album, this seems to be much more accidental than intentional, but as the album progresses, the band makes a clear shift in direction and starts executing much more consistently.

Now, this album starts out purely synthetically, and after the initial shock and wonder of its style wears off, it becomes quickly boring. All these tracks are one-thirty-ish to three-forty-ish minutes long, and it wears pretty quickly.

>cont.
>>
Then, all of a sudden, the album picks the fuck up at “Jason’s List”. Boring, uninspired-sounding twee dredge turns into sharp, poppy, sentimental songwriting. “Jason’s List”; with its stacked vocal loop climax, “Mercantile Rugs”; jangly acoustic guitars lend a sing-song Elephant 6 vibe, “That’s Siberia” is almost hazy DeMarco lazy pop, “The Fake” is snappy; featuring a fun instrumental break and fun call and response vocals, “Ana’s Life” displays expert control over dynamics; adding and dropping synths, “Body Talk” displays a Morrissey-like vocal approach… All of a sudden Blanche Blanche Blanche become fantastic, quirky songwriters. Even on covers like “With Or Without You”, if it weren’t for the lyrics, I would never have recognized it was originally U2’s. “She’s Adopted” miraculously brings together shoegaze-like guitar sounds and a triumphant 80s stadium rock down; to the level of bedroom pop, “Appetite” indulges in sweet vocal harmonization, “Duke on the Beach” features sliding vocal melismas and a certain beautiful softness. The closer, “4amous 4” is a kind of collage of sorts, with well written transitions. It’s a fine closer to the album, and showcases the band’s pop sensibilities and synth experiments nicely.

Oh and of course it’s on Night People. What the heck.

7+/10

>>71542499
I'm interested, so I'm going to give it a shot, but I swear if this is like that "sounds like Faust" record again...
>>71542685
Make sure you revisit "Size" on DNA on DNA, and play it loud for the opening. By far their best song
>>
File: nat+triangle shared chart.png (3MB, 1680x1757px) Image search: [Google]
nat+triangle shared chart.png
3MB, 1680x1757px
Kazuki Tomokawa - Nikusei (1976)
>Psychedelic Folk, Folk Rock, Psychedelic Rock
I'm generally in agreement with Nat on this one. The more stripped-back songs where he really get's wild are straight up fantastic. He's like an unhinged, japanese Simon Finn. The use of percussion to up the intensity is implemented really well and lends to the dark, passionate atmosphere of the folkier tracks. Even to mellow songs are still quite pleasant and beautiful. The songs with fuller instrumentation are pretty weak in comparison however. The sound is pretty dated and kinda just feels like a Pink Floyd rip-off at time. Nothing unique or exemplary, and rarely does he go off into vocal frenzies on these songs, they are pretty mundane.

>>
>>71542751
yee there's probably not as much overlap as i was thinking/implying, they're closer to RATM actually, but this song reminded me of Down a lot fsr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9OVSyXWhY
>>
the end of Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michael's Mount is fucking nuts
>>
>>71535631
lmao no

1 sentence about the music >>>> eight-post long review name-dropping philosophers they haven't read. It seems like everyone but you agrees sorry bud ;P

>how'd you convey emotional affection like that without writing a diary entry though?
you would talk about the music?

>i've seen some rymers write poems to vaguely match the feel of the album which shut up that's fucking genius
that's not a music review though

could you give me an example? I bet it would be terrible.

>>71538225
lol pretty much. Shit's dumb and says to me "I found this album when I was very impressionable and that is the reason I like it"

>>71541015
shit's perfect I swear

>>71542685
trust me Phil has plenty worse releases than that.

>>71542959
druqks is a hell of a druq.
>>
>>71527865
Wait, what is this, I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>71543166
DL the Magenta Circuit on slsk that has the pdf booklet in it.
>>
Ben Stiller on drums. No shit.
>>
>>71543183
Haha sick.
>>
>>71543320
k thnx love u
>>
>>71543344
>>
>>71543365
is this a comment about Fishmans
>>
>>71542751
good rating.
>>
File: 1489078382621.jpg (69KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489078382621.jpg
69KB, 850x600px
>>71543114
it seems like everyone but me is wrong, or they#re getting at it from the perspective of lazy one-sentence reviewers because this thread kind of makes those necessary, or of smug assholes because this is 4chan, i'm no exception to that of course

>1 sentence about the music
it depends man, i'm more on about like i said the smug asshole part. it's like you're trying to scare people away in the absolutely lowest way possible and you're reaching for that self-satisfaction that comes from "BTFO"ing something too, because as evidenced by the fact there's no such thing as "guilty displeasures" a negative public opinion has much greater imact than a positive one, doesnt it?
meanwhile if you're being intimate in your writing you're actually being more corageous because you're opening yourself up to such cynicism, that's why i have less of a problem with it, because it's just what the worst aspects of internet culture are out to kill

>that's not a music review
that's being creative with the format of music reviews, there's nothing wrong with that. reviews being concise and informative is cool but if someone wants to try out something different, there's nothing wrong with that. but sometimes the sentimental musings of someone like telephone_junkie are a good selling point for an album to me anyways just because then it shows it could elicit that kind of reaction out of someone, maybe it could do the same for me!

>could you give me an example? I bet it would be terrible.
no matter what i post you'll say it's terrible
a long, personal review can be well written too of course, if i find you one of those you'll just say "well that's an exception" or disagree with me on the matter

but it's rare so i'll concede, this guy did some of those:
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Astigmata/reviews
his Earth and Andrew Chalk ones are what i'm referring to

4chan is cancer and we#re all here out of habit may i remind you
>>
File: music is dead.png (2MB, 1263x1426px) Image search: [Google]
music is dead.png
2MB, 1263x1426px
>Prince of Denmark - 8
only this guy can make 3 hours of techno and still be near perfect

hooray i finished this chart!
>>
>>71543114
btw see this is an example of what im talking about, other than your last turd that triangle got mad at, rightfully so
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Robo_Dobo/reviews,ss.r/3
it's like he's trying to be christgau but with the exact opposite taste. half of his reviews while low effort actually make good points so i'm k with them but really tho
>>
>>71543580
This sounds neat, I might have to give it a listen
>>
>>71543528
okay nah there's something wrong with that but it's an interesting idea alright
>>
March.png
2MB, 3386x2604px
The Delfonics - La La Means I Love You
>Philly Soul

I don’t know anything about the Philly soul scene but this certainly wasn’t the best intro. The production is so over the top, with lush string arrangements and schmaltzy little horn riffs. I usually dig these elements in soul but here they sound way too smooth and cornily sentimental. Hart’s falsetto blends right into the strings and I think that’s probably the worst part of the album. The bass is really bouncy and the funky guitar sounds kind of cool on a few tracks, I might even like them paired with a different performer. The voices on here are too much for me and honestly annoyed me about halfway through. “You Are Gone” is classic, “I’m Sorry” is solid and “Losing You” has a cool instrumental. The rest kind of blends together though.

2.0/5

The Kinks - Arthur
>Pop Rock, Psychedelic Pop

I’m not sure what it is that I love so much about The Kinks. They have a brand of psychedelic pop that just sticks with me in a weird way. It’s as 60s sounding as it gets, with nice upbeat riffs, some little jangly guitar and occasional little string section. There’s even little brass sections which can easily sound cheesy but they pull it off. The lyrics are much darker than I was expecting too, which contrasts pretty strongly with the instruments.

Also, every band member seems to be perfectly in sync man. They go through easy pop songs flawlessly and even dive into a few complex tracks. “Yes Sir, No Sir” and “Australia” even have multiple passages that flow into each other seamlessly and surprisingly don’t feel forced or awkward. Aside from “Shangri-La”, which I found annoying, everything on here is infectiously catchy and poignant. Weirdly reminded me a lot of the jangly alt-rock groups I like from the 80s/90s.

Probably my favorite Kinks album so far

4.5/5
>>
i need to start writing reviews in notepad more, just accidentally deleted one i was actually putting a bit of effort into here

>>71544131
your kinks score almost forgives your flynt score
>>
>>71543528
>>71543602
I read all of Astigmata's reviews and I want to listen to none of those albums now. And plenty of his reviews are "one sentence smug btfos" so Idk what you're even talking about. Even so, almost none of his reviews are like the ones I was quoting. Just look up any popular ambient album and you'll find a cavalcade of sentimental essays which don't talk about the music.

And almost none (except for the shitty Orgasm review I did, which we have already decided was terrible) of the reviews I've done recently are quite "snarky btfo pans". Like 90% of anything I talk about is anywhere from 4 to 8, which is hardly that at all. And even though they're occasionally snarky and usually short, they're at least about the music and almost never for "BTFO satisfaction" that you claim they are. If that were actually my main goal why would I even go through the effort of discussing music I enjoyed?

And like I already said ITT, I enjoy telephone_junkie, but if he wasn't a RYM celeb a good chunk of his reviews would probably be removed for having little or nothing to do with the music. I wrote a pretty shitty non-review like that years ago and it got taken down near immediately (deservedly).

Also, I think you're thinking in extremes here, as if there's only snarky 2/10 christgau-esque pans, and ultra over-sentimental reviews that quote philosophy forewords. Rather, I think there's a large sum of happy mediums on that site. My main remark was that there were a copious amount of shit reviews that I mentioned in the ambient genre, and not really a critique on that format as a whole.

I know it might be kind of radical, but I just think a reviewer should probably talk about the music more and refer to themselves much less.

Again, my problem wasn't with those kind of reviews at all, just the hilarious fact that too many exist in popular ambient albums.

>>71544131
I need to retry the kinks discog soon.

>>71543580
looks neat
>>
tfw there will never be a tab for Cooking
>>
>>71544246
>plenty of his reviews are "one sentence smug btfos"
i know that's why i pointed to specific ones that i found somewhat interesting
> I think you're thinking in extremes here
true desu but i really hate that shit whenever i see it as you noticed
people who do that shit on rym deserve to be raped by their dads
>>
>>71543528
>as evidenced by the fact there's no such thing as "guilty displeasures"
are you saying there aren't albums you "feel like you should like but don't"? I probably have plenty of these, assuming that's what you're talking about. Eno and Bowie are prime examples for me, as I've never really enjoyed many of their albums and felt like I probably should.

I don't think they SHOULD exist though but I think they do. Guilty pleasures shouldn't exist either, but they obviously do since people have a name for it at all (I guess ABBA would have to be a "guilty pleasure" for me? I don't feel "guilty" for liking a few well-written pop songs tho lmao). You shouldn't feel ashamed about what you like/dislike and doing otherwise is being a giant poser imo.

No hate, but if I were to describe your taste it would be "the collective consciousness of people's guilty pleasures". Again no hate because you're fun to talk to and well-reasoned.

>>71544396
don't think of this as an argument btw I just h8 shitty reviews and I think we disagree about the purpose of reviews in general. I'm more rigid and think reviews should serve as "here's what is/isn't good about the album/here's why you should/shouldn't listen to this" and really nothing else. I guess that means I should be criticizing myself more often and being more strict about my own reviews/writing style than going around policing people then.
>>
>>71544569
meh example because it's probably just the fact that there is a catchy term for that so the concept spreads more easily and obviously there's a snowball effect with classic albums too but i've been brooding on this thought that snark sways people more easily for a bit, because it's a handy device as it doesn't require a lot of elaboration and thus is also easier to spread and swallow (marketing methods 101), and i felt like throwing it in there because it's related and you might feel where i'm coming from. Milo's fame/infamy relies solely on that

>if I were to describe your taste it would be "the collective consciousness of people's guilty pleasures"
that's p funny
>>
>>71544246
Definitely worth revisiting. I still don't get the hype for Village Green Preservation Society (though it's still good) but I've loved everything I've heard so far.
>>
>>71539628
how to get rym cred 101 innit
>>
Having a bunch of average length tracks and then finishing with a much longer track is a trend that must stop now. It is not clever and makes me angry
>>
File: hmm (4).jpg (36KB, 627x960px) Image search: [Google]
hmm (4).jpg
36KB, 627x960px
>>71544842
hmm
>>
File: c6e.png (892KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
c6e.png
892KB, 857x1202px
>>71544842
>>
File: chance_the_rapper-acidrap.jpg (101KB, 747x747px) Image search: [Google]
chance_the_rapper-acidrap.jpg
101KB, 747x747px
>>71545058
>second track has minutes of silence
>>
>>71541588
>I simply like the way he talks
iktf, avant showed me this girl a while ago and she's just super comfy to listen to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuOG0dYrZNo
>>
>>71545058
Interesting. It's marketing on some level. Imagine starting your album with a long track. It's a tough sell to get someone to keep listening
>>
>>71545292
thank you for this

>>71545359
this, if you're not doing some dumb concept album always start with the best/most accesible track
>>
File: nat+triangle shared chart.png (3MB, 1680x1757px) Image search: [Google]
nat+triangle shared chart.png
3MB, 1680x1757px
Schoolly-D - s/t (1986)
>East Coast Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, Turntablism
I heard Ice T talking about how P.S.K. was the original gangsta rap song, and that he basically copied Schoolly's cadence for his groundbreaking single, 6 'n the Mornin'. I can see what he was talking about calling this an early gangsta rap pioneer, the lyrics, not only on P.S.K., are pretty edgy for 1986. Schoolly isn't afraid to drop some f-bombs and throw around the n-word at all. He also takes on a noticeably more menacing tone, rapping about knock homies out, pimpin', and just generally causing a ruckus. He's definitely not on the stone-cold gangsta level of some of his later followers like NWA, but he is pretty rough for 1986. His flow isn't the greatest, it kind of depends on the song, sometime it's right on the dot, other times he's sort of slurring and tripping a little. Definitely not bad, just inconsistent. Worst part is that in a lot of songs his rapping just isn't clear. It's kind of muddied under the booming production, which sucks cause there are some really killer lines that you just want to shout.
The beats here are actually my favorite part. They're extremely stripped down and airy, but I wouldn't say minimal. Schoolly programs all his own drums. All the beats are constructed of just Drums and a whole lot of reverb. No bass, no bells and whistles, yet somehow he manages to use every part of the buffalo. Equipped with just an 808, he drops some of the danciest, heaviest beats of 1986. The rhythms are off the hook, I danced up a storm to this motherfucker. Sometimes he recycles ideas a little too frequently but it never gets aggravating. And everything is absolutely slathered in reverb. It gives off this massive, earth-shattering, dance hall vibe.
The scratching on this record is also top notch. Really complements the bare-bones style to just have these tinny turntable stabs hitting every bar.
Enjoyed this way more than anticipated.

>>
>>71546088
not sure if you're aware but i visited the rateyourmusic page of this entry and you rated it a 4/5. now i know that you, like all of us besides trans, care deeply about your ratings and what they mean, so i felt obligated to inform you
>>
>>71546251
my rating system is weird
bump everything up on rym just cause I don't like rating things lower than I actually feel on rym

0=1.5
1=2.5
2=3.5
3=4
4=4.5
5=5
>>
>>71546416
wew ladies
learn something new eveeryday
>>
File: topsters2.png (2MB, 1890x830px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.png
2MB, 1890x830px
>Traumprinz - All the Things
so THIS is where prince of denmark dumps his B-sides!

>>71546416
el
>>
File: wengh.png (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wengh.png
2MB, 2000x2000px
relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0XaSvhTYd4

>Prayers on Fire
It's obvious that Cave hasn't mastered his theatrics in this stage of his career. It shines when it more on the punky side

>Transa
This album is alot looser than I expected. I was anticipating a solid MPB album with a standard structure. What I got instead was a very "free" sounding album that isn't afraid to build on a certain chord progression or whatever for the duration of said track. Needs a little bit to grow on me. Nine out of Ten is a GREAT song tho.

god I feel like shit atm
>>
>>71546711
>god I feel like shit atm
porque D:
>>
Which ae record would you guys say is the most melodic? I've only heard tri repetae and confield and I've loved them both and I wanna keep going
>>
>>71547184
Incunabula is probably their most melodic, although I'm not particularly a fan of it. Also confield isn't very melodic.
>>
night
>>
Still have 3 albums left on my chart, but going to go ahead and make the next one so I won't have to tomorrow or whenever

~~ROUND THREE~~

Rec me 2 albums from here https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/zzane/r0.0 will put all recs on chart
>>
>>71547245
alright then what would you say is their best that i havent heard
right now I'm thinking i'll do lp5
>>
>>71546711
แห่สดดนตรีพื้นบ้านหนองโก ชุดที่ 8 + 9
>>
>>71547292
I haven't heard ALL of them, but LP5 is very good. If you want something like confield, try Draft
>>
oopsie >>71547349 was meant for >>71547284
>>
>>71547349
you have to rec 2 things...
>>
>>71547434
I thought you meant two more albums from two different people, not two albums from everyone. Here's another though.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/%E1%81%BC%E1%81%A2%E1%80%84%E1%80%BA%E1%80%B8%E1%81%BC%E1%81%A2%E1%80%84%E1%80%BA%E1%80%B8/%E1%80%9C%E1%80%80%E1%80%BA%E1%80%9B%E1%80%B1%E1%80%B8%E1%80%85%E1%80%89%E1%80%BA_%E1%80%9D%E1%80%B1%E1%80%AC%E1%80%B8%E1%80%99%E1%80%BB%E1%80%AC%E1%80%B8__le_ywei_sin_tei_mya_/
>>
File: THEORYOFOBSCURITY-KEY.jpg (105KB, 1110x620px) Image search: [Google]
THEORYOFOBSCURITY-KEY.jpg
105KB, 1110x620px
>>71547284
THE RESIDENTS - DUCK STAB / BUSTER AND GLEN
THE RESIDENTS - SATISFACTION / LOSER CONGRUENT TO WEED
>>
>>71547284
iirc Ubzub are total trash, listen to that
Shiny Beast is a v good album tho, listen to that too
>>
>>71547522
>Ubzub are total trash
>listen to that

:( why do you do this to me
>>
>>71547548
because it's ~subjective~
>>
>>71547522
also can you link whatever Ubzub is?
>>
>>71547577
can only find their album on slsk
>>
>>71547635
i mean link on rym, cant find it
>>
>>71547657
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ubzub/alien_manna_for_sleeping_monkeys/
>>
>>71547284
since u asked in discord
do logic songs and cross paths
>>
>>71547284
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_150_murderous_passions/the_150_murderous_passions__or_those_belonging_to_the_fourth_class__composing_the_28_days_of_february_spent_in_hearing_the_narrations_of_madame_desgranges__interspersed_amongst_which_are_the_scandalous_doings_at_the_chateau_during_that_month_f1/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/last_days_of_humanity/putrefaction_in_progress/
do you have the entire "rym cred" list in your wishlist btw
>>
>>71548210
lmao i went through the first page and added stuff i thought looked interesting, which ended up being a lot
>>
>>71547284
Tim Buckley - Dream Letter: Live in London 1968
Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges - Clube da Esquina
>>
>>71547284
A Tabua de Esmeralda
Demon Days
>>
>>71547284
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
Fela Kuti - Confusion
>>
>>71547284
world- space grind osaka
jens lekman- life will see you now
>>
>>71547284
Let's get some /woolite/ on here

Chico Buarque - Meus caros amigos

Kingpin Skinny Pimp - King of Da Playaz Ball
>>
File: deletealarm.png (252KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
deletealarm.png
252KB, 512x512px
>>71547284
~2 MORE PEOPLE (4 TOTAL ALBUMS) LEFT~
>>
>>71547284
big blood space gallery
salmon run
>>
2MB, 2604x1800px
Battles - Mirrored (2007)
>math rock

The first two tracks are /really/ good. They both take math rock into places that other bands have never really explored, injecting a very playful, poppy feel into the ultra-complex compositions. "Race : In" is just really fun to listen to, and "Atlas" is a pounding, danceable track with some impeccable, tribal drum work. For how good all the other performers are, Stanier is the real star of the show here, he's still got a lot of heavy, tribal sensibilities from his work with Helmet but he tones down the power a lot here and delivers some of the catchiest, most memorable drum lines I've ever heard. All the other performances are great as well, but save for the first two tracks the songwriting isn't anything to write home about. The band seems more than content to just noodle around on their instruments for half of these tracks, and the technicality is obviously impressive, but the ultra-plastic sound of this album only works when the songs are appropriately catchy and shimmering, when the songs are bland and static, the aesthetic comes off as irritating. Since a majority of the songwriting here is fairly bland, I'm not too big on this as a whole. But it's a fun listen with some killer performances, so I can't knock it too much.

2.5+
>>
>>71547284
Keiji Haino - 天乃川 (1973 Live)
>>
File: 1455839632630.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
1455839632630.png
28KB, 186x208px
>>71549562
>rec'd me only one thing
>it's not even on my backlog

are you trying to trigger me
>>
>>71549591
no ^______^ b

I could've sworn you had a keiji haino record in your backlog though tbqh
>>
>>71547284
>>71549299
The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Skullflower - Form Destroyer
not much there i've actually heard desu
>>
>>71549299
Ryo Fukui - Scenery
Kairon; Irse - Ujubasajuba
>>
File: daily3.png (4MB, 2072x1345px) Image search: [Google]
daily3.png
4MB, 2072x1345px
Here's the next chart I'll be doing, should be starting tomorrow or the next day

>>71550129
sorry bud didn't make it, but I have Scenery on stuff I chose
>>
>>71550583
fuck I had to resize because the file was too big, now it looks like shit

hopefully I can fix it
>>
>>71550583
i hope u love today is the day<3
>>
3MB, 1680x1757px
Schoolly-D - Schoolly-D (1985)
>east coast hip hop, gangsta rap

It's a very obviously influential album, and it has its merits as an individual album, but I'm not really feeling this. Schoolly-D's lyrical content was ground-breaking, especially on "P.S.K. "What Does It Mean"?", my favorite track on the album, but his delivery is a bit corny, and he trips a bit over his words on some tracks. The beats are more interesting than the rapping, but even they have their problems. The heavy use of reverb is a nice touch, and the album's most interesting characteristic, but it can't mask some of the cheaper sounding, more generic tracks. The drum programming is the album's weakest link production-wise, it sounds very, /very/ cheap, but it's at least somewhat saved by how interesting and idiosynratic the reverb is. Total mixed bag of an album, but really interesting for it's time period, at the very least.

2.0+
>>
>>71551094
>sounds very cheap
well yah, p much everyone was using the same equipment. He uses it much more creatively than a lot of his contemporaries did imo. He squeezes some p good rhythms out of it,
>>
2MB, 2604x1800px
i suppose i should revisit twin fantasy because man i'm really getting into this guy

Car Seat Headrest - How to Leave Town (2014)
>lo-fi indie

My favorite songs of Toledo's are generally his more concise songs, mainly "Sober to Death", which is probably one of the best songs of the decade so far, so I was a bit apprehensive coming into an album bookended by two 10+ minute tracks. Lucky me, it's probably my favorite of his I've heard. It lacks the more attention grabbing melodies and climaxes of Twin Fantasy or Teens of Denial, but the slow-burning, progressive nature of a lot of these tracks is really good, and incredibly impressive given the limits of Toledo's style of recording. He manages to eke out more interesting ideas and songwriting tricks with his lo-fi bedroom pop technique than thousands of full-studio bands can over a dozen albums. It's really impressive, and a great example of the guy's talents. The shorter tracks do lack the sheer weight and memorability of the longer tracks, and "America (Never Been)"'s weird synthpop-esque production sticks out like a sore thumb, but the bookend tracks are incredible, and "Beast Monster Thing (Love Isn't Love Enough)" ranks with some of this guy's best work.

3.0+
>>
>>71551171
fair point, i guess i just really don't like that kind of drum machine's usage in hip hop. it always sits better with me in house/techno for whatever reason.
>>
File: 2850639.jpg (13KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
2850639.jpg
13KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FADd5rAznOc
>>
March.png
2MB, 3386x2604px
[1/2]

Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore - Blowing In From Chicago
>Hard Bop

A dual saxophone lead hard bop sesh. Both leaders are fantastic, catchy and upbeat, all throughout the album. The band is tight too, following along on what could easily result in an awkward recording. Of course, it helps that Art Blakey is the drummer and Horace Silver is rocking it on the piano. They all trade off surprisingly well, with the two saxophonists in particular just ripping through furious solos. I know improvisation is at the root of pretty much all jazz but for some reason this feels more organic. Maybe it’s the fact that this is fast/hard bop or the fact that this has two leaders, idk. Most of this is just the two saxes trading off, with an occasional little drum passage from Blakey or piano riff from Silver popping out. The focus is clearly on Jordan & Gilmore though.

Anyway, hard to go wrong with hard bop in my book, this is no exception.

3.5/5
>>
File: 2899599.jpg (12KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
2899599.jpg
12KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pv9SRjcOj8
>>
>>71551319
[2/2]

Pedro Santos - Krishnanda
>Psychedelic Folk, Samba

Damn, this is such a cool album. From the get go, it’s catchy and groovy, incorporating a lot of different South American musical styles. There’s all sorts of cool instrumentation, from traditional to obscure stuff I couldn’t quite pin down. There’s hand drumming, synths, strings, horns and a number of other traditional instruments. Every song on here has definite groove, with nice bass, fantastic drumming and some cool guitar work.

There’s hints of electronic influence on a fair number of the tracks too. “Dual” and “Aranbindu” sound like tropicala hits, with these catchy little xylophone riffs and sharp synths. The latter sounds like someone’s crashing together marbles together and it’s weirdly a great little touch. “Agua Viva” has little water splashing samples that serve as percussion and it works in a weird Kraftwerk/Neu kind of way. “Dentro Da Selva” has these trippy sound effects thrown in on top of already layered instrumentals. There’s a sample of some tropical bird, monkey and what sounds like a Jaguar thrown in, on top of these chanting vocals and bouncy samba instruments. There’s a lot of cool ideas pieced together on this track - and really a majority of the album.

The whole album sounds like a dope 70s film score and that’s one of the best compliments I can give an album.

4/5
>>
File: 2918156.jpg (6KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
2918156.jpg
6KB, 150x150px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFv0KZOktk
>>
>>71551270
fair enough. I kinda expect that this record would be a bit too corny/dated for most ppl anyways.

listening to Jungle Spliff btw, it's fucking incredible
Dl'ed like 5 other jungle mixes just cause I'm so into it.

THE BREAKS

>>71551243
>Lucky me, it's probably my favorite of his I've heard
awww yeh B-)
>>
>>71551299
>>71551338
>>71551371
all great albums but why

>>71551343
>The whole album sounds like a dope 70s film score
thank you for encapsulating exactly how i feel about that album
>>
File: daily3.png (3MB, 1536x997px) Image search: [Google]
daily3.png
3MB, 1536x997px
>>71550948
I do too

I actually really liked Kiss the Pig, even though that's the consensus as the worse album by them

Also testing to see if this chart looks better
>>
>>71551343
>“Dentro Da Selva” has these trippy sound effects thrown in on top of already layered instrumentals.
yoooooooo that's my fav track. So glad you liked the album!

I'm personally a huge fan of it and had kind of fallen away a bit from it in the past month. That said, I back to it with fresh ears this week, and boy does it still hold up.
>>
>>71551384
>it's fucking incredible
woo!!! glad to see someone here like it after woolite and term not being too big on it. you ever heard Soul Jazz's Rumble in the Jungle comp? or Gachet's Elite Sounds?
>>
>>71551449
>Soul Jazz's Rumble in the Jungle comp?
nope, I'll check it out tho
>Gachet's Elite Sounds?
already got it dl'ed ;^)
>>
>>71551449
Soul Jazz such a fucking great label btw
>>
>>71551094
I love the use of reverb in early hip-hop, it's one of the coolest aspects of the production. You get a lot of that with Schoolly D, especially on his next album. But the rapping style and production technology has advanced so much since that any 80s album tends to sound dated, like you said. Still cool to go back and see much the genre has changed imo

>>71551397
Yeah, I'm a sucker for that style, ngl.

>>71551427
One of my favorite tracks as well, such cool production all over it. Thanks for recing that btw!
>>
>>71551497
>>71551521
it is a great label, and that's probably my favorite comp of theirs (granted, I haven't dug too deep). it's got "Original Nuttah" so it's worth a listen for that alone.

>>71551536
Yeah, old hip hop is cool from a historical perspective, but there's little that really stands up to the more modern stuff. "The Message" is a big exception, though.
>>
daily2.png
4MB, 2954x1680px
>Joe Henderson - The Elements

Some colorful moments, but overall didn't really hit the mark when it comes to spiritual jazz.

3/5
>Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

I was going to give this a 3, but fuck why was it so long? I just didn't feel it with most tracks, with the occasional one being somewhat enjoyable to listen to. It seemed a little over the top. I didn't pick up on the funk groove of it either.

Oh it was enjoyable to hear the gangster's paradise song on here.

2.5/5
>>
File: FreeformChart March17.jpg (2MB, 2737x1720px) Image search: [Google]
FreeformChart March17.jpg
2MB, 2737x1720px
Bob Chance - It's Broken (1981?)
>disco, left-field, rockabilly, funk, doo-wop

Literally what the fuck is this record? The test pressing version of (Wild,) It's Broken is one of the best disco tracks ever written with gritty guitars and weird lyrics about broken hearts, but the album version is some gelded mess of limp guitarwork and not much else. The rest of the album sounds like a perverse mix of doo-wop vox and disco four-on-the-floor rhythms. Big ups for sheer balls that were needed to make a disco rockabilly album, but big downs for shoddy execution.

2.5/5

Robert Lester Folsom - Music and Dreams (1976)
>acoustic power pop

I know, the genre tag makes no sense, but believe me, this is probably the best Big Star ripoff out there, perfectly emulating the Power Pop GODS while also adding a spin of its own. I highly recommend the reissue with the bonus tracks including "Blues Stay Away," which is, in my own humble opinion, the best Power Pop anthem out there. The album was recorded by Robert Lester Foslom in Atlanta, Georgia in the mid-70s, echoing such sounds as the urgent Power Pop of Big Star, the laid-back easygoing country of Neil Young, and the tight groove of KC and the Sunshine Band. Each track is tightly realized yet relaxed like the warm summer breeze. Highly recommended to fans of Big Star.

4.5/5
>>
File: ripunclephil.jpg (201KB, 640x621px) Image search: [Google]
ripunclephil.jpg
201KB, 640x621px
>>71551677
>all this Stevie Wonder hate this week

I'll admit though, some of those songs don't deserve to be so long. Cut it to like 70 minutes and it'd be nearly perfect imo. Which is why Innervisions is so amazing
>>
>>71549557
Also if it's not too late, for the Actress album do Splazsh instead of Hazyville. My favorite album of his is different at any given time, but I think Splazsh is the most representative of his sound and his most consistent.
>>
>>71551948
Everybody on /daily/ keeps complaining when ever soul is too "smooth"
>>
>>71551626
>The Message
Don't forget White Lines
And Planet Rock

I think early hip hop gets far too much flak.
It's like kraftwerk to me.
Sure it's cheesy and dated and very simple, and it gets out done by a lot of newer stuff. But it's still fun and novel
>>
>>71552852
cum
>>
File: 1489260198630.gif (930KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489260198630.gif
930KB, 500x400px
>>71551426
top left quadrant of that chart is OP

also bottom row p OP

>>71552145
hard gospel > sweet gospel
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 93

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.