[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on Pixies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: Cover.jpg (75KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
75KB, 768x768px
What's your opinion on Pixies?
>>
What was that song about black dick?

Essential Cuck-Core
>>
boring band that kids in high school get hype on for a few months after seeing Fight Club for the first time
>>
Pixies? More like TITTIES! hehehe
>>
>>71523305
/thread
>>
indie version of the doors
>>
>>71522841
one of the best band ever
>>
Highly influential and consistent in their initial phase, past best-by date in their current incarnation.
>>
>>71522856
Gigantic. Amazing song. Only Pixies could write a song about a girl fucking a gigantic cock black dude as dark as the darkness they're in and still make it sound tasteful.

>>71523305
What is exactly so boring about Pixies in your opinion? And while you're at it, give me an example or two of contemporary alt rock bands that are less boring than Pixies.
>>
>>71523305
you master pleb
>>
>>71522841
WHATS THE DAAAAAAYYYY WHATS U DOOOOINNN
>>
pop version of a cocktail mix of Pere Ubu, Husker Du and Gun Club
>>
Great and ofc there will be haters because a lot of ppl recognize them for being great i.e. Thom Yorke, Kurt Cobain, David Bowie etc etc
>>
Doolittle > Come On Pilgrim > Surfer Rosa > Bossanova > Trompe Le Monde >>> Head Carrier >>>>> Indie Cindy
>>
>>71523421
>What is exactly so boring about Pixies in your opinion?

They crafted a neat little sonic aesthetic for their time but the songwriting itself is pretty forgettable. I'm not saying they were a terrible band, just extremely overrated, I really don't see them as the trailblazers a lot of people talk about them as.
>>
>>71523402
not even vaguely similar
>>
>>71523574
>the songwriting itself is pretty forgettable

You fucking die!
>>
>>71523587
not true
>>
>>71523621
yes true
>>
>>71523574
Wow, I was open to have a normal discussion but it's obvious you didn't even listen closely to their lyrics. I mentioned Gigantic which has interesting subject matter

Another example:
Bone Machine

[Verse 1]
You were working at Japanese fast food
And I drop you off at your Japanese lover
And you're going to the beach all day
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me

[Refrain]
You're looking like you've got some sun
Your blistered lips have got a kiss
That tastes a bit like everyone
Uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh!

[Chorus]
Your bone's got a little machine
You're the bone machine

[Verse 2]
I was talking to preachy-preach about kissy-kiss
He bought me a soda
He bought me a soda
He bought me a soda and he tried to molest me in the parking lot
Yep, yep yep yep!

If you think this is boring when listening to the song, I don't know what to tell you...
>>
>>71523402
Can you elaborate? Make some comparisons maybe?

I'm genuinely curious
>>
>>71523882

>tries to convert somebody who considers a band's music boring
>posts lyrics

wew lad
>>
>>71523920
>>71523851
Keep in mind that I've only ever heard Doolittle and The Doors' s/t, but:
- Morrison and whoever The Pixies' singer is are both very vocal, they yell a lot, and sound very upfront
- Very similar themes to the songs, they both use a lot of symbolism relating to sex, love, and relationships
- Both utilized instrument distortion moderately and effectively
- They both had fairly basic song structure, with repeated melodies and vocal lines
- Instrumentation is really similar, both bands have a heavy emphasis on synths and bass
- Both albums have a very dark tone to them, despite the fact that most songs are major rather than minor
The Doors did have more of a blues influence than The Pixies, they used the blues scale for most of their solos, but that's part of the difference between 60's rock and 90's indie rock.
>>
The Pillows are a pretty good band
>>
>>71524102
is that the fooly cooly band
>>
>>71524068
There are no synths on Doolittle
>>
>>71524251
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>71524311
Not that guy but the only song with synth I remember in doolitle is monkey gone to heaven, so there's no heavy empahsis on synths.
>>
Doolittle Surfer Rosa and Bossa Nova are all amazing. I think they gel well as a band and were definitely greater than the sum of their parts
>>
>>71524157
Yes
>>
>>71524068
>- Morrison and whoever The Pixies' singer is are both very vocal, they yell a lot, and sound very upfront
>- Very similar themes to the songs, they both use a lot of symbolism relating to sex, love, and relationships
>- Both utilized instrument distortion moderately and effectively
>- They both had fairly basic song structure, with repeated melodies and vocal lines
lol you can apply this shit to pretty much anyone. Leonard Cohen has dark themes and sexual lyrics and basic structures but he sure doesn't sound like the Doors. You could have saved some ink and just written "they are both rock bands"
>>
>>71523574
>Directly inspired Kurt Cobain to rip them off
>Directly responsible for the 90s alt rock sound and therefore the current rock sound because they haven't changed that shit in decades

You are wrong
>>
>>71524311
>>71524342
There's no synths on Doolittle, not even on Monkey Gone to Heaven

And they don't really sound like the Doors at all
>>
>>71524392
Of course all rock bands use those, but what I listed are pretty much central to the music of The Doors and Pixies.

>>71524409
They don't sound exactly the same, hence why I said they're an indie version.
>>
>>71523305
>I can't separate music from my image
>>
>>71524542
I wouldn't even call them an indie version of the doors. Their biggest influences were Husker Du, Captain Beefheart and Peter, Paul and Mary
>>
>>71524632
Are you saying you'd call them an indie version of any of those artists? Influence doesn't equal similarity.
>>
>>71524686
They aren't similar to them either I think they sound pretty original
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.