[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did scaruffi gave it 9.5/10?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg (37KB, 500x500px)
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
why did scaruffi gave it 9.5/10?
>>
because it's good
>>
>>71519871
because he's pretentious, and this album sounds weird
>>
he listens to the same music all the time
>>
circus music
>>
because his favorite genre is circus music
>>
Because it's the best album ever made.
>>
He really likes carrots.
>>
Scaruffi is a pretentious hack who doesn't actually have the knowledge set for avantgarde classical music, and instead wasting his time invalidating his childhood taste in Rock.
>>
>>71520319
>and instead wasting his time invalidating his childhood taste in Rock.
He didn't grow up listening to rock music though. You don't know the first thing about Scaruffi.
>>
>>71520342
What did he grow up listening to, then? Because it sure as fuck wasn't avantgarde classical. Otherwise he would understand Faust is nothing significant
>>
>>71520362
sent ;)
>>
>>71519871

I dunno why don't you read his review of it?
>>
bc it does something cool and original in the context of rock music
>>
because he really likes it and it's good, so far is better though
>>
>>71520359
What's some avant-garde classical you'd recommend?
>>
These Dadaist collages and explorations in musique concrete make a very free use of "found sounds." Why Don’t You Eat Carrots, the opening track, begins with a piercing, radioactive whistle, which leaks into two “classic” sixties snippets, Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones and All You Need Is Love by The Beatles. Both are demoniacally distorted. From there, a free flow of gags commences, which includes cabaret piano and a brass band, which show an obvious Frank Zappa influence, and voice distortion and electronics derivative of Stockhausen. The opening track is a demented jazz-rock jam crushed by pneumatic hammers, which contains cosmic hisses and crowded thumps, all of which is dominated by a collegiate choir. Eventually everything fades into nothingness: a cosmic wind brings echoes and fragments of the previous portion of the song along with pieces of a lost conversation; these are coupled by frightening blasts of radiation.Following the clustered first piece is Meadow Meal. The second track opens with a dense, chaotic field of electronic manipulations, percussion, and “concrete,” unorthodox noises from ordinary instruments. This dissonant chamber music sets the stage for a dramatic huddle of voices. Then, suddenly, the music launches into a relentless flight of blues-rock guitar, which sounds like the Grateful Dead. The song, as grotesque as it is desperate, is crowned with a church organ, which pounds in the sudden silence, like a prayer that is, like the song, drunk but moving. The meaning of this absurd piece is cryptic, but not impossible. Faust coexist with philosophers as amateurs, but there message is less developed and more childish...
>>
>>71521812
...The music of Faust, especially in this particular work, is chamber music so degraded that its identity is all but lost. This confusion, though, is able to communicate a message: from chaos emerges order. Strangely, as the piece becomes even more bogus, the ridiculousness of each ensuing portion of the song makes everything that came before it seem rational and ordered.

As demonstrated by their masterpiece and the closing song on the album, Miss Fortune, Faust’s imagination held room for even more reckless composition. The song opens with a crescendo of typical stormy Teutonic tribalism ("motorik" rhythm and drumming and violent distortions), from which springs a surreal duet between a wild jazz-rock guitar and an acoustic, psychedelic, strumming flamenco guitar. The chaos falls, and begins an eerie silence, which is suddenly interrupted by the lullaby of a drunken muezzin, itself accompanied by only the thread of a malignant synthesizer and the shaky basis of a plan, with the rhythm section soon taking it to the speed of a waltz. After a few seconds, a sweeping, astronomical hurricane is unleashed. Once the spasms subside, though, there remains only one song, seeming to come straight out of an asylum (and it is multiplied by a thousand echoes from that asylum’s cells). In this tortured section of the song, loud, squeaking voice recordings are launched at crazy speeds, and they are punctuated by horrendous music hall piano and interrupted and overtaken by fragments from a tape-grinding organ. After a short interlude of silence, the finish is soft, magical and delirious. The overwhelming masterpiece ends with two alternating voices relaying a medieval fairytale over a subtle guitar...
>>
>>71521824
...This fairytale, and one verse in particular, sums up Faust’s entire, complex philosophy, dealt with throughout the album: “Are we supposed to be or not to be.” With this closing song, Faust had managed to blend the grotesque, the everyday, and the transcendent into a colossal contradiction, a catastrophic imbalance, which serves as a summation of the human condition that in a way is more accurate than any rational discourse.

The album’s overwhelming feeling is one of loneliness, helplessness, and despair. The sonic cyclones loom over the gaunt, threatening fate of human existence. The humanity that transpires from the album’s overwhelming message of apocalypse is both physical (the Germanic accents) and mental (all the paranoia of modern man), inexorably doomed to crumble against the rugged ramparts of history. Faust, Goethe-ian and Wagnerian, raise a solemn hymn to universal defeat, which sublimates the titanic human adventure. Humans who, while admiring the immense universe, wonder doubtful and fearful "Are we supposed to be or not to be?" are the most poignant vision handed down by Germanic rock. The final lines of the record ("... and at the end realize that/ nobody knows/ if it really happened") beat any lyric ever written by Bob Dylan or Nick Cave.

This is simply great poetry.
>>
>>71520064
>>71520302
>>71520308
these are all correct
>>
>>71521812
>>71521824
Lots of pretentious diatribe for something that is essentially over-glorified Invader Zim music.
>>
>>71520064
>because his favorite genre is circus music
Hello Montie!
>>
>>71521466
>What's some avant-garde classical you'd recommend?
And this is the question you won't get a response to.
>>
For real tho, I understand most of the stuff on that list and altough I really like Faust I just can't understand whats so great about this album. Can anyone give me a good reason why this is the best Faust album, let alone one of the best albums ever made?
>>
>>71522180
Because the album combinates traditional krautrock, musique concrète and sound collages. It's a good mix of those and there's enough of both, rock and experimental sounds. It's an eclectic album (every album should be).

The guitar work is really unique and DIY stylish aswell. How can you not start bumping your head everytime the song climaxes into amazing guitar and drum combo?
>>
>>71523469
>(every album should be)
I like eclectic stuff but no
>>
>>71523469
yeah I guess I should give it another chance. Thanks for clarifying in a non'pretentious way for once
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.