[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's more depressing, this or Pink Moon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: down.jpg (137KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
down.jpg
137KB, 600x588px
What's more depressing, this or Pink Moon?
>>
I never found Pink Moon to be that depressing. It's so good, it renews my hope.
>>
>>71503229
>>71503254
to me Pink Moon becomes more depressing once you know that Nick drake killed himself, but musically I think RHP is more depressing. Both are sad and amazing as fuck tho
>>
>>71503229
I never found either of these albums to be necessarily depressing. They're both excellent albums, but I always thought it was kind of reassuring to know that other people ruminate and rifle through sad, cryptic thoughts the same as I do.

More depressing is Pink Moon I think, especially with tracks like Parasite.
>>
>>71503229
>>71503290
Place to Be and Parasite are the saddest songs ever written
>>
>>71503254
"If rock music had emphasized the emotional aspect of music in ever more creative ways, Drake did the opposite: his music seems to cancel out the emotional factor, his voice sounds neutral, anemic and indifferent, the arrangements are spectral and almost "silent". Silence is, indeed, the ultimate referent of Drake's "minimalism". Drake had little to say, and he said it using minimal means. Surprisingly (and this was Drake's great discovery), his almost voiceless whisper conveyed stronger emotions than most magniloquent music. Drake's lost, tenuous, taciturn manner scoured the terminal states of melancholy, angst and despair for a reason to live this life. There was something terrifying in those frail notes: Drake's music was the equivalent of a suicide letter. Drake fumbled blindfolded on the edge of the abyss, and his songs were the thoughts that accompanied him while waiting for the fall."
Didn't think of it as very depressing before reading this
>>
I like RHP better, but I gotta give it to Pink Moon. Place to Be, Which Will, and Parasite are the most hope-crushing songs ever made.
>>
I can't stand Nick Drake's voice.
Sue me.
>>
>>71503229
I've never listened to this album but Pink Moon is probably the best musical representation of depression I've ever heard. It's not just overtly sad-sounding, like a lot of supposedly "depressing" albums; every song is seeped in a dense atmosphere of anhedonia, nostalgia and an almost Sartrean disconnection from and hatred of existence. Even the surreal, kitschy album art is exactly the sort of thing I'd imagine someone truly disgusted with the world to ironically connect with their music. To me it's the musical equivalent of looking back on your happiest childhood memories and realising the world wasn't a better place back then, you were just too young and naïve to think otherwise.
>>
>>71503229
pink moon always give me the ''A lot of things seem bad, and they most probably are. But there's always someone that loves you'' vibe.
I guess you could call it hopeful
>>
>>71503229
Benji
>>
Place To Be, Which Will, From the Morning and Know are some of the saddest songs ever written
>>
>>71504483
From the morning is inspiring and hopeful. FOH.
>>
>>71504001
meh i think thats very heavily romanticized

i think its a cute twee album and it is very sad but also happy. its an emotional album, no doubt, but i am sick of people defining nick drake and elliot smith by their deaths.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.