[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steven Wilson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (12KB, 412x357px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 412x357px
Is he pretentious or has he got some songwriting talent?

I think he is a great producer but an extremely overrated songwriter though he has a lot of potential. Raven is the only album of his I enjoy
>>
>>71501457
A lot of his stuff is not even prog.
Raven, A Grace for Drowning, The sky moves sideways and The Incident are his only prog albums.
>>
>>71501434
He is very pretentious. He is a hack. He has very wild knowledge about progressive. But, he and Opeth have literally have destroyed the meaning of Progressive. I used to enjoy PT and his solo works, Opeth is just meh now.
>>
>>71501457
you forgot ayreon
>>
is he a virgin
>>
>>71502722
Don't you dare talk shit about Morse on my board.
>>
he looks like a nu male trying not to be a nu male
>>
XBOX
>>
>>71503228
Isn't that /pol/?
>>
>>71502802
he's gay
>>
>>71503317
wouldn't be surprised this guy be low key /pol/
>>
>>71503446
We hate him because he is white.
>>
>>71502969
THIS IS NOT WHO YOU ARE LETS SMOKE A BOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL
>>
I think steve is a great songwriter, aside from the occasionally cringy lyrics (god "four chords that made a million" sucks)
In Absentia deserves a place as /mu/core
>>
>>71502386
>Opeth is just meh now
I know that the majority of their fans simply can't fathom the idea that they're not making progressive metal anymore. Shocking, I know. No growls, no fans.
>>
>>71503446
>or because Fantano and Pitchfork do't like him
If you actually stay here for a couple of days, you would see the sheer amount of Pitchfork and Fantano threads. It's sickening.
>>
>>71503446
Fantano, at least, is definitely right about him though. I listened to some tracks off Raven and thought it was decent / okay / good enough whatever, but when I watched his review I started to become aware of how derivative it was. Like when you're sitting in a room completely neutral but when someone tells you they think it smells bad in there you can't help but notice the scent now even if you try not to. Really sounds like 70s prog just churned out again, which doesnt have to be a bad thing but if your music sounds more like a carbon copy of other better artists from times before you then it is. I've been hesitant to start trying out Porcupine Tree for the same reason, but I will get around to it one day.

Milliontown - Frost*, Frames - Oceansize and even Lateralus are all some good examples of some really good modern / neo-prog that don't fall into that trap. There are good charts on the sticky too.
>>
>>71503930
>Lateralus
Prepare for the flame wars. On a more serious note, I wouldn't say that Steven Wilson sounds derivative. It's especially evident on his latest album, Hand. Cannot. Erase. Insurgentes delves into more genres; ambient, noise rock and shoegaze. And not many classic prog bands from the 70's did that.
>>
>>71503988
>>71504037
I am definitely biased off my first impression of Raven. I'll give his other work with Porcupine Tree and his latest album a listen today.
>>
>>71504156
>his latest album a listen today
Definitely listen to Hand. Cannot. Erase. He said that 4 1/2 is a "deleted scenes album" from Hand. Cannot. Erase. I haven't listened to it, but I don't think it's very good, considering he said that when I saw him live last April. Check out Ninet too. She's really a breath of fresh air. I mean, just listen to those vocals and Israeli motifs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5S7gQEJvkk
>>
The Raven > Grace for Drowning = Insurgentes > his entire PT catalogue > Hand Cannot Erase
>>
File: 7254812986-1485291892323.png (382KB, 451x471px) Image search: [Google]
7254812986-1485291892323.png
382KB, 451x471px
NINTENDO
>>
I'M TIRED OF FACEBOOK
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.