[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rock is dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 9

File: 1487386480420.png (70KB, 497x511px) Image search: [Google]
1487386480420.png
70KB, 497x511px
You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists.
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse are far too niche to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
>>
what's the point of this shitty thread? you've been pushing this meme with that same faggot picture since january.
>>
Why does cultural relevance matter in the slightest?
>>
>>71484347
I've missed this pasta

> Radiohead and Arcade Fire aren't rock bands
sure buddy
>>
weezer
>>
>>71484347
I don't care if it's a pasta, this is the most retarded garbage I've ever seen in my life.
>>
>>71484347
>le numale maymay
>>
>>71484373
because neo-/mu/ doesn't like underground music and unironically jerks off top 40
>>
>>71484385
Unironically this

[spoiler]also daily reminder that Pinkerton > Blue Album[/spoiler]
>>
>>71484385
>>71484422
forgot about everything between maladroit and white?
try again
>>
>>71484347
Recommend me some patrician electronica if you have such great taste newfag
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457KB, 600x450px
>>71484422
>2017
>thinking pinkerton > blue album
i seriously hope you guys don't think this
>>
stop forcing this shitty meme
now I'll have to turn it into a dubs thread, instead
>>
>>71484347
queens of the stone age
>>
>>71484370
>>71484375
>>71484400
>>71484407
>>71484445
>>71484557
>i-it's just a meme! I CANT HEAR Y-YOU LA LA L-LA

Point taken, rockfags. Hit me up w/ an argument if you even can.
>>
>>71484574
oh i just read the second half of your post. anyway i know this is bait but qotsa is not a "fad" artist and have been consistently putting out good albums for nearly 20 years. also you haven't explained what "cultural relevance" means but ...like clockwork was acclaimed and got them a lot of new fans
>>
>>71484581
No one wants to argue with you. We know youre trolling and if you arent then youre so dense i dont care to try and reach you
>>
File: faswdf.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
faswdf.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>Radiohead and Arcade Fire aren't rock bands
>>
>>71484347
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
False. And this was even more true in 2016 too.
>>
>>71484581
Slint
>>
>>71484581
>calls all those shitty assumptions and opinions "arguments"

yeah nah you need to get better at this, my little virgin friend
>>
>>71484581
Who the fuck wants to argue with an autistic kid? Go outside, or discover music, or hell even discuss music but this is just a plain low quality bait.

>Impossible mode: no nirvana
yeah go fucking kill yourself with your overrated angsty shit that overshadowed a lot of important, original stuff going on in the 90s
>>
bait pure and simple OP put yer balls to the wall
>>
>>71484347
Half of those niche artists aren't that niche
Radiohead is absolutely a rock band what the hell
>>
>>71484722
I like Slint, but they're pretty fuckin niche at the moment. It's kind of impossible to say what is culturally relevant, because you never really know what sticks until you're half a century down the line and still hearing it.
>>
>>71484347
>name a rock band that fits my extremely arbitrary criteria
Fuck off
>>
>>71484581
Hahaha I'm with you OP. It's been delightful to see rock disapear from the cultural discourse.

Please continue your work.
>>
>>71484581
>>71485804
Back to /bleep/ shitters
>>
File: hmm.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>71484347

>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist
>Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed

Also Wolfmother lmfao
>>
>>71484347
QOTSA
>>
Damn the denial is strong in this thread.

The brutal truth ? Nobody gives a fuck about what white males have to say in rock music, everything's been done and has become too niche.

I truly believe that the rise of Eminem signed the death of the rockstar. He sparked controversy with outrageous lyrics, was arguably talented and got insanely famous. You expect people too care about all these bands and their generic music which contributes to the pussyfication of the genre? Kek.
>>
>>71484347

Yes rock is dead just like the rest of traditional America.

The new America considers guitar driven music of that nature to be "white" so it will never be culturally relevant again.
>>
>>71486030
>Nobody gives a fuck about what white males have to say in rock music

No one gives a fuck about what black or brown sacks of shit say in rock music either.

Choke to fucking death on your next meal.
>>
>name one band other than these 53 bands
>>
>>71484347
you can literally do that to any genre
>>
>implying that rock no longer being mainstream is bad
Normies need to leave
>>
>>71484347
Ed Sheeren
>>
File: 183.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
183.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
Big Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx_qZb8txGA
>>
>>71484347
Smash Mouth
>>
>>71484347
Nickelback
>>
Hella
>>
Define "relevant"
>>
>>71484347
seeing as all the bands listed in the OP are utter shit, it doesn't really matter whether they're relevant anyway :^)
>>
>>71484347

>You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant

>except for all of these ones that don't count because I say so
>>
>>71484347
>Radiohead not a rock band

why not?
>>
>>71486490
>all the bands listed in the OP are utter shit

t. retarded bleepfag
>>
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
kek what the fuck
7/10 decent bait
>>
red vox
>>
>>71484347
What exactly do you consider critically acclaimed? Several of the bands you listed as not have all kinds of awards.
>>
That's easy. GY!BE
>>
>>71484347
Gorillaz
>>
>>71484347
>implying 'cultural relevance' and fads aren't the same thing
>>
>>71484347

The Allman Brothers Band-

Culturally relevant?- check
Criticall acclaimed?- check

https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/music/allman-13.php

The Allman Brothers: Shining at the Beacon

A next-gen 21st lineup sustains the Deep South rockers' star power..

Except for the "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" finale and the "Whipping Post" encore, the set featured few first-rank crowd-pleasers: the upfully hippieish "Revival," a few slow ones like "Come and Go Blues." But to me the music sounded awful strong, and my guides as well as the audience agreed....There were highlights aplenty, including the surprise covers these shows are famous for: a first-ever "Long Black Veil" done acoustic, and Haynes' diddleybeat rendition of Ann Peebles' "I Feel Like Breaking Up Somebody's Home Tonight," which none of my friends recognized. The surprise guests the shows are famous for were limited to an up-and-coming Texas guitar hotshot, David Grissom, on a "You Don't Love Me" that Haynes called to a somewhat premature halt. There was the standard "Elizabeth Reed" passage when Burbridge finished his unassumingly virtuosic solo and took over Butch Trucks' chair so the old man could rumble on tympani for a roiling four-drum fusillade. But it was Derek Trucks who got the fans going loudest....Trucks is also a bluesman first, but like Duane, he's much bigger than that, prone to sudden jazzy licks and a master of the difficult trick in which he slips off his slide and flexes through a verse or two of startling fluidity. At least half the moments that left us all gasping and then cheering came on his solos. It would be facile as well as sacrilegious to say he's Duane reincarnated with all the extra chops, range, and maturity another eight years on earth have afforded him. They're both too singular to equate. But it's not too facile to be glad to hear the dead live on in the spirit of what they created.

this is what he was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ
>>
>>71486941
What ? They were at their popularity peak in the 70's.
>>
>>71486941

or Tedeschi Trucks for that matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJJXNJo-c3Q
>>
>>71484347
Mayhem
>>
>>71486972
>Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance

They are a 45yr old band with significant cultural relevance...and current critical acclaim- hence Christgau review from 2013
>>
>>71484347

Why is it so important for rock musicians to be critically acclaimed and famous?
>>
>>71484347
>Radiohead is not a rock band

Haha, friend. :^)
Yeezus wasn't hip-hop either, right?
You're so funny!
>>
>>71484444
Your bait is so bad that nobody checked those
>>
Alice in Chains
>>
So is the white stripes not a rock band? Or do you just dislike them
>>
The Beatles.
>>
why have you not been gassed yet
>>
File: IMG_4914.png (867KB, 1136x640px)
IMG_4914.png
867KB, 1136x640px
Lol I love all the dumb generalizations you make about "critical acclaim"
>>
>*long list of bands, at least 70% of which are critically acclaimed* are not critically acclaimed
nice alt facts
>>
>>71484347
the cure :~)
>>
ghost lmao
>>
So metal is now "too niche" to be "culturally relevant" Who gives a shit anon
>>
>tool "not critically aclaimed"
>2 Grammies
>every album has reached platinum status
>regarded as one of the most influential rock bands of the last 30 years
>"not critically acclaimed"
Either you do not understand what critical acclaim is, or you are just trolling. Shove your retarded baity thread up your arse op
>>
m83
>>
>>71486030
You're dense to believe that the rockstar image was killed by the rise of rap music, it died because of the rise of the internet and social media and realizing that rockstars are either degenerates or are putting on an act.

Rap flourishes now because the only progression for rock is for it to become no longer viable for mainstream success, too niche. Rap was a blank slate at the same time that the rock genre tree was hitting it's last peak with grunge therefore rap filled the void that rock left after grunge turned into derivative trash overtop cobain's grave.
>>
Fugazi
>>
File: 1461121079207.jpg (22KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1461121079207.jpg
22KB, 400x460px
>name one band that meets these requirements
>and you aren't allowed to name all of these bands that meet the requirements
Pretty funny troll honestly
>>
Refused
do i win?
>>
>>71484347
King Crimson
>>
>>71486051
It's funny because black people invented guitar music
>>
Kid Cudi, of course.
>>
Nick Cave is like the 3rd most famous artist in Australia
>>
>>71484347
This pasta is stale. Get a new one poptimist scum
>>
>>71484347
>You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar

This is the shittiest definition of cultural relevance I have ever heard. Who gives a fuck what normies and children listen to?
>>
Imagine Dragons
>>
>>71487998
pretty much this. OP is butthurt about rock for some reason.
>>
>>71484347
Wat about Silverchair m8?
>>
>>71489598
>shitty nirvana clone that turned into a pop rock band
lol
>>
>>71484347
>name rock band that proves my point wrong, except all the rock bands that would prove me wrong
ok
>>
>>71489621
Oi m8 Silverchair r good there first 3 albums anyway i pretend th other two never happened. You never heard sucidial dream or emotion sickness, good songs m8.
>>
>>71484347
What is The 1975?
>>
>>71489707
"We are not a pop band".

>But you fags arw
>>
Kanye, the new rockstar
>>
>>71489629
fuck yeah, this is absolutely pathetic.
>name a critically acclaimed artist
>all these artists who are critically acclaimed are not critically acclaimed
>>
>critically acclaimed
This type of idiocy explains why you would say shit like rock is dead, critics just circlejerk what is hot right now
>>
>>71487004
I wouldn't call tedeschi trucks band culturally relevant. Only middle aged dads know who they are.
>>
>>71484347
get new pasta my dud
>>
>>71484347
How do you define "cultural significance"
That's pretty important to have an actual conversation about this
What artists from other genres would you call culturally significant
>>
>>71484347
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

This is where your meme falls apart pal
>>
unironic actually answer:
Deftones
>>
Ever heard of Phish? You'd have to be a pleb not to like them. Too weird for you? Grow balls.
>>
>>71484347
i dont understand

yeah there are zero rock musicians that have been critically acclaimed AND culturally relevant since Nirvana, thats a fact

what are you getting at?
>>
PLACEBO
>>
>>71484347
is vampire weekend relevant? Other than that I'm fresh out
>>
Andrew WK
>>
File: MultiPepe.jpg (53KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
MultiPepe.jpg
53KB, 440x440px
>obvious bait
>names half of the genre's most known and revered bands
> "more obvious bait I'm baiting you guys come on my tendies are getting cold"

why do u do this why do you feed them
>>
Daddy Yankee
>>
David Bowie
>>
>>71489338
They are shit but have all the requirements
>>
>>71484347
>critically acclaimed
by who, new cawk hipsters?

>culturally relevant
all rock is culturally relevant to rock culture
>>
>>71494169
Fucking yes
>>
Swans.
Fuck you
>>
Fugazi.
>>
>>71484347
Zooropa is not 25 years old. It it was critically acclaimed.
>>
>>71484347
>QotSA
>3-5 year timespan
nigga you what? they released their self titled in '98
>>
anyone else still unironically listen to old taking back sunday, chiodos, fallout boy, etc ?

brings me back every time
>>
>>71495165
Taking Back Sunday is still my shit all these years later tbqh
>>
>>71484581
tism
>>
>>71495347

hell yeah dude. they have such a classic sound that will never get old imo

my fav's

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLPjqfeLfAE

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PBy3Lwi4Lo

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IncYE435s08

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz4X44v5oig

5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-AxpXjOT84

There new stuff is alright.... but the old stuff will always be my favorite.
>>
>>71489707
That band sucks
>>
Sublime

And all those bands you said were not critically acclaimed are lol.
>>
The Strokes
>>
You have 10 seconds to name a color of the rainbow.

Impossible mode: No red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P colors
>>
>>71484347
The Strokes
>>
>>71498205
this
>>
>>71484347

guns + roses
>>
>>71487800
I think OP reads all his album reviews on p4k.
>>
File: 1478412083276.jpg (8KB, 198x199px) Image search: [Google]
1478412083276.jpg
8KB, 198x199px
why is this bait thread still up? is /mu/ really that fucking stupid?
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.