[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to really appreciate jazz without playing it yourself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Louis_Armstrong_restored[1].jpg (3MB, 3738x2912px) Image search: [Google]
Louis_Armstrong_restored[1].jpg
3MB, 3738x2912px
Is it possible to really appreciate jazz without playing it yourself?
>>
No, you aren't allowed to listen to any kind of music unless you're a equally skilled player of all instrements.
>>
Dumb AF question. Next....
>>
>>71477630

So stupid. I think playing an instrument in general might make one more appreciative of the improvisation but many of the most prominent jazz critics don't even play an instrument at all
>>
>>71477690
Like who?
>>
Yes, but playing an instrument might make it easier to appreciate or give the listener insights they previously didn't have.
>>
>>71477630

No. Former Jazz bassist here. Before I joined the jazz band, I thought all music with trumpets or saxophones was tired and cheesy, like ska.
>>
>>71477647
This. Same with books, film, and art.
Same with using electricity that you haven't produced, food you haven't harvested, and the home you haven't built.
>>
>>71478098

Nat Hentoff
>>
>>71478182
/thread
>>
>>71478098
Scaruffi
>>
>>71478264
Ok that's one, name 3 more

>>71478472
Scaruffi is embarrassing when it comes to jazz
>>
>>71478098
Adorno.
>>
>>71478545
lmao
>>
File: fblr1.jpg (53KB, 892x573px) Image search: [Google]
fblr1.jpg
53KB, 892x573px
>>71477630
the jazz community is full of pretentious fags and old white liberals who won't let the genre move forward because they are still stuck in the past, that being said, yes
>>
>>71478668
you're thinking of baseball
>>
>>71478668
What are you even on about? The majority of jazz musicians are and were black. That of course has nothing to do with the music, but you're just baiting.
>>
>>71478517

dude really? If you must know, google famous jazz critics or something, you'll find quickly that among all the most prominent and respected writers of the time, actually being able to play an instrument (or at least be decent) was the exception not the rule
>>
>>71477630
I think that, as a jazz trumpet player, I have a deeper appreciation for what some of the greats like Gillespie and Elridge are capable of, but that doesn't mean nobody else can appreciate it.
>>
>>71478668
t. John Legend's character in La La Land
>>
>>71478730

He's talking about it's current fans. The only black people that listen to jazz are old people. It's unfortunate, but hip hop and rnb are now the culture of young blacks.
>>
>>71480250
That's sad, but not surprising. Jazz was commercially dead since its departure from swing.
>>
>>71477630
Retarded fucking question but I'll answer anyways. Yes.
>>
>>71478261
>>71477647

underrated posts
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.