[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we have rock stars anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_3986.jpg (26KB, 236x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3986.jpg
26KB, 236x315px
>>
Memestar
>>
File: MW.jpg (21KB, 500x302px) Image search: [Google]
MW.jpg
21KB, 500x302px
>>71467364
We do but they don't break shit on stage anymore or spit or swear or smoke cigarettes. All the ones that used to (or still do) are old now.
>>
>>71467364
Idk, rappers the new rockstars maybe?
>>
>>71467684
So they lame af now.
>>
>>71467684
Also - maybe today's lifestyle is too lazy, OR today we have it just too good, OR it's the Internet's fault, OR we just don't pay attention.

Also also - MAYBE today's perception of a rockstar is different.

Also also also - maybe you're just too old
>>
>>71467691
Not by any chance. A rock star should be somebody so selfless that they have no need to talk about money and bitches etc.
>>
>>71467364
Have patience, Anon, there's always rockstars to come. Maybe the next Kurdt is in middle school now. Good stuff takes time.
>>
File: killedrockmusic.jpg (158KB, 1320x931px) Image search: [Google]
killedrockmusic.jpg
158KB, 1320x931px
>>71467364
Because of clowns like billy joe and fuckers like pic related. That's why.
>>
>>71467750
That ain't true, rockstars ain't meant to be all selfless n shit. Keith Moon was like the opposite of selfless all the trashed hotel rooms and that dude he killed etc. Still a cool guy btw.
>>
>>71467825
Fuck him, I hate those kinds of rockstars, purely destructive. Keith is an agressive ass who did too many drugs even tho he was a great musician
>>
File: MCR.jpg (113KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
MCR.jpg
113KB, 900x600px
>>71467364
What do you consider to be the qualities of a true rock star?

>inb4 drugs, trashing hotel rooms, groupies, suicide

You have to state something else than listed above.
>>
>>71467975
I mean most old school rockstars were a about excess n shit. People like Bowie or Marc Bolan were the exception not the rule. And even those guys were heavy into drugs at one point.
>>
>>71467750
I'm sorry, but your definition of "rockstar" makes no sense. Who would you consider a rockstar?
>>
>>71467364
>people don't listen to the radio anymore
>people don't watch TV and music videos anymore
>people don't buy albums in stores that have art on them anymore
>>
>>71468061
Drugs are kinda sad when you think about it, but it's ok because it's private and "for you" and friends sometimes, which is bullshit but you get it
But the trashing part is childish. I guess I'm just too young and I can't connect with the older generation
>>
>>71468008
Semi-Cult of personality status, cool cuting edge style, cool hair, great songs/real talent, unique/unconventional ideas and beliefs, good looks and charm. Not necessarily all these things but definitely most of this shit.

This is what i can think of off the top of my head..
>>
>>71468113
Everyone watches music videos
Albums are bought on itunes etc.
Vinyl is back so people are buying that for a e s t h e t i c purposes
>>
>>71468128
Drugs ate fun I'm stoned right now. Honestly i think drugs are an important part of life, almost a virtue. You just have to know a bit about what your doing and not get carried away. Or you can just stick to weed.

Still would recommend trying at least weed and shrooms.
>>
>>71468131
I agree. A+

>>71468160
Dude I "tried" it almost all. I was talking about crack and heroine and that rockstar-exclusive stuff.
>>
File: tumblr_m5som8C5NL1r5bieyo1_500.png (476KB, 467x599px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5som8C5NL1r5bieyo1_500.png
476KB, 467x599px
>>71467364
Because the classic conception of rockstars is dead. The joke got old. Running around and trashing hotel rooms, fucking women who aren't your wife, doing drugs, showing up naked on stage or chewing the head off a bat, so on and so forth, hit its peak. It's actually semi-mainstream to talk about GG Allin now. That's crazy. That's peak rockstar, those kind of antics characterized it on stage and nobody can top of it.

On that same token, like I said, that got old. Literally. People weren't buying it anymore. Either it was all talked up by a label for buzz and sales, or it got petulant and worthless, didn't help the music.

The internet age also destroyed it as well. As with most media, news, all that sort of thing, it really hit music hard, both image-wise and in sales. The marketing cult of personality around rockstars washed away, both by piracy, and the fact we could see them more, could hear more about them, see them more often for who they really are.

The image of the rockstar couldn't hold up anymore. Some of the older artists cultivated it, grew their personality to more mature ends, or kept it going and milked it even though they calmed down. The newer generation tried to be more earnest, or indie, or connected with fans on myspace or whatever. While that gave them strong, smaller fanbases, it didn't often lead to wider appeal, and was often more humble or visible enough so that they couldn't be made the classic, larger than life rockstar figures.

tl;dr: Rockstars were a meme, and the meme was forced and stale. It died.

So basically,
>>71467413
fpbp
>>
File: 1444294589843.jpg (2MB, 2000x2100px) Image search: [Google]
1444294589843.jpg
2MB, 2000x2100px
>>71468131
As the dude said about Bowie and Bolan, that's what you want, and that's the exception, absolutely not the rule. And the internet age has made so much of it a rush to fame, and the music industry is so focused on recycled, top 40 style stuff they don't market those kinds of guys anymore. As a result, they either try to shove them into that same type of image, or let them languish and be indie. There's a fair amount of them that are Soundcloud artists or playing small shows, but the structure, the marketing to make "rockstars" or to give the good ones that cult of personality, it just isn't there anymore.

Honestly, I would say, no jokes or memes, Death Grips are the best ones right now, closest to that. Edgy as fuck, defined aesthetic, rough, stark. Just come on stage, play the songs, fucking leave. Semi-unique songs, definite talent. Nobody knows much about them, and they don't care to be known. It's very much lead to that cult of personality sort of thing. They're what a rockstar looks like now.
>>
>>71467364
Better question, do we want rock stars anymore?
>>
>>71468484
We NEED them.
>>
>>71468128
Kill yourself
>>
>>71468550
well thats not very nice
>>
>>71468522
Nah, I'm not sure we do. I don't think we need any more Jimmy Page's, David Bowie's, or whoever engaging in statutory rape, imo
>>
>>71468709
So we can't have nice things cuz Muh Progress! You SJWs have peaked now anyway, but you're still assholes.
>>
>>71468709
Maybe you don't, but kids always do, and those who are young at heart an like heroes. Kids are those who matter the most because they are the ones who bring the rockstars their rockstar status
>>
File: farewell.gif (499KB, 350x198px) Image search: [Google]
farewell.gif
499KB, 350x198px
>>71469016
so pure
>>
>>71468008
MCR's been dead for a while man, but they're probably the last real rockstars
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.