[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

File: Strobe.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Strobe.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
Most of you probably don't know this, but deadmau5 recently came out with an album called "stuff i used to do". No, don't leave just now. I get that EDM is shit, I used to make it myself, and then moved onto IDM and other genres because it's so formulaic.

But it's also true that deadmau5 has, in certain ways, not fit that trend. As cringey as he might be in certain ways, a lot of his tracks are non-pop works that don't rely on hooks.

…but maybe the most important thing here is the border between EDM and IDM. Because you listen to "stuff i used to do", and a bunch of that is old school dance, and for sure some I'd consider to be IDM. I usually think of EDM and IDM as distinctly two separate things, one is good and the other isn't, but is that characterization correct? Isn't it just a bit too simplistic? For example, I've also seen Flying Lotus live, and as much as I adore him as an artist, his live shows are his songs remixed into EDM. And that irked me at the time, but maybe there's something to it—maybe it has to do with striking a balance between the artistry and acceptable structure. Maybe EDM isn't artistically bankrupt after all.

…or all EDM is shit, no questions. But if that's not the case, then some EDM is good, and groups like /mu/ would have to accept some EDM is good. But then, which ones?
>>
>>71460979
everytime I think of edm fans, I think of the type of people who camp of in front of best buy the night before a new iphone is released.
>>
>>71461045
>edm fans
Well yeah, most EDM is shit. That's of no question. The point is more about the border between EDM and IDM, and how it's not quite clear cut as people might want it to be, and what that means as music listeners (and musicians, for some people on this board, I'm sure).
>>
>>71460979
eventually you realize that a lot idm is no more interesting or innovative than edm and you turn to older dance music traditions because they serve not as hyperbole or subversion but instead as music that doesnt lie to you about what it is.

your obsession with "artistry" belies your naïveté about the liminal space that is the beating heart of dance music. rather than looking for the context in which the lived experience of dance music begins and ends, you're trying to refine a dichotomy that is on both sides tangential to the source material.

you're also ignoring flylo's relationship with the hip hop tradition, and you've demonstrated that you cant adequately analyze his work.

you lead with like the most hackneyed example of EDM possible and really didnt even pose an interesting or even informed question. it's just a bunch of vague gesticulating about two of the most well known electronic acts of the 2000s
>>
>electronic music is EDM or IDM

Blow America up already kim Jong, put us all out our misery
>>
>>71461375
>you're also ignoring flylo's relationship with the hip hop tradition, and you've demonstrated that you cant adequately analyze his work.

>Not going in detail about FlyLo and his relation to hip-hop clearly means I didn't recognize it despite it being blatantly obvious
>Mentioning hip-hop as though it redeems FlyLo while not recognizing the influence it has on IDM as a whole, including people like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boc, etc.
>deadmau5 is the most hackneyed example of EDM possible

haha, friend.

>>71461410
No one's saying that, it's just that there's a clear connection there that's kind of interesting to look at.
>>
>>71460979
Go to bed, Joel
>>
>>71461375
>your obsession with "artistry" belies your naïveté about the liminal space that is the beating heart of dance music.
>you're also ignoring flylo's relationship with the hip hop tradition, and you've demonstrated that you cant adequately analyze his work.

I'll also add that you've come up with some disparaging remarks while not being able to come up with any interesting critique of your own, other than the dismissal of "a lot" of IDM and being constrained to the idea that dance music has to be tied to the dancefloor. It's such a shame your world is so small.
>>
>>71460979
IDM is fucking wank trash, don't force yourself to like it just because Aphex Twin and Autechre get memed on here
>>
>>71460979
go to bed joel, it's late.
>>
>>71460979
Read what Scaruffi has to say about UK Hardcore music, it's one of the most well reasoned statements on this whole EDM/IDM bullshit.

EDM is a dirty word, though, don't use it.

And no, there is no "good" EDM, because EDM doesn't actually mean electronic dance music, despite it being abbreviation for that, just like IDM isn't arbitrarily intelligent.
>>
>>71460979
Stop putting all danceable electronically produced music under the "EDM" label.

Learn about techno, house, breaks, trance, garage and hard-core, each are hugely different with varying subtypes.
>>
>>71461802
>Stop putting all danceable electronically produced music under the "EDM" label.
No one's doing that, idiot

the statements about EDM are made with the recognition that it covers a subgenre of electronic dance music that's around from around 2009-2010.
>>
>>71461889
So tl;dr - is there any decent "bigroom/brostep EDC/Ultra festival EDM"?
>>
>>71461889
"EDM" is nothing more than an initialisim for Electronic Dance Music; it's not a fucking genre, stop being an ignorant American.
"IDM" has more relevance being a genre despite it being also an Americanism, but most of the things that come under "IDM" would more accurately be labeled as either a subgenre of techno or breakbeat
>>
>EDM
>IDM

Please stop using these words, you're making an idiot of yourself for being so ignorant towards dance music
>>
>>71461969
i think youll find thats part of the b8 anon
>>
>>71461948
no
>>
I get why IDM is retarded, as if staying at home taking drugs and wanking if more intelligent than going to a club.

But whats wrong with saying EDM? Isnt EDM exactly what its described as, electronic music that you can dance to?
>>
>>71461948
You could argue that there are some talented edm producers out there, but by making their compositions (which could be great if channeled in other ways) into EDM, they mix it in with the EDM scene, which is the worst musical scene of all fucking time
>>
>>71462124
A majority of "IDM" is dance music that can get played at a club; Autechre make dance music, Aphex makes dance music, it's dance music

Nobody said EDM to refer to all electronic dance music, it's either that or just dance music, all this "EDM" shite is just a meaningless Americanism
>>
>>71462124
What's wrong with saying guitar music when talking about rock, reggae and flamenco?

Isn't guitar music exactly what its described as, music made with guitars?
>>
>>71462154
Rock, reggae and flamenco are guitar music. I dont like guitars for example and therefore dislike all those genres.
>>
>>71462153
>Dancing to Aphex Twin
Fucking how? Unless you're an alien with 6 limbs
>>
>>71462165
But no one would be this vague.

Just as saying EDM is equally as vague and hugely different.
>>
>>71462171
He does it himself in Windowlicker
>>
>>71462182
So you go to clubs and shove an umbrella between your legs? And have someone edit the footage of you after to speed up bits?
>>
>>71462171
He makes music heavily inspired by either techno or jungle; both dance music genres
The only release you probably couldn't dance to is SAW Vol II, although I once heard Rhubarb being played at a rave once
>>
>>71461952
>>71462124
EDM absolutely is a genre and not an initialism.
It refers to that American festival stage frat bro bullshit style of electronic dance music.

>>71462199
>>71462171
mb u just can't dance lls
>>
>>71462174
I am being this vague right now. Fuck guitar music. I dont like it.
>>
>>71462210
OH I get it. You guys dont like EDM because people who listen to arent virgins and put their dicks inside girls you like.
>>
>>71462233
Because everyone who goes to Berghain and Fabric are virgins. Idiot.
>>
>>71462245
isn't berghain a gay sex club hahaha
fucking faggots
>>
EDM is the dance music equivalent of buttock.
>>
>>71462245
>Germany

Yeah they are cuckold virgins.
>>
>>71462255
So you prefer dicks to a nice ass then?
>>
>>71462261
who isn't a cuckold virgin at this point?
The term is so absurdly overused that it doesn't mean anything anymore.
>>
>>71462276
Guys that dont listen to fucking Aphex Twin
>>
>>71462291
but they don't play aphex twin at berghain
>>
>Breaks ranges from jungle to trip hop
>Techno ranges from freetek to ambient techno
>House ranges from acid to minimal
>it's all EDM or IDM

This board is funny
>>
>>71462296
How would you know? Unless you are a regular?
>>
>>71462318
>/mu/ will never treat these electronic genres separately like they do the other electronic subgenre of hip hop
>>
>>71462318
minimal house is not a thing
>>
>>71462454
Minimal, microhouse, same difference.
>>
>>71462318
Because /mu/ is rockist so only talks about albums and start a thread about house/techno/breaks albums and the regards from /bleep/ throw a hissy fit.
>>
>>71462474
not the same at all
do you even know what house is?
>>
>>71462489
>
>>71462508
>>
>>71462520
>Microhouse, sometimes just minimal, is a subgenre of house music strongly influenced by minimalism and 1990s techno.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.