[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 8

File: hqdefault (1).jpg (75KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
75KB, 480x360px
Paul Joseph Watson claiming that both underground and mainstream music are irrelevent.
7:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyLUIXWnrC0&t=112s

Anthony Fantano's response
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmta1gFjxU&t=27s
>>
We already discussed this extensively.
>>
>>71459369
Both of these people are insufferable and I refuse to agree with either
>>
>>71459396
this
>>
>>71459396
>look at me, I'm a coward fencesitter, everyone's stupid but me
>>
Paul Joseph Watson doesn't know what he's talking about, but he's still right.

The last high-energy music movement we had was emo/metalcore/indie from 2002-2009.

Everything after that has just been depressing and gay as fuck. I know we've had some experimentation with electronic/hip-hop in the last few years, but only black twitter and far-left libshits really like that.

And none of it has stuck. Everybody has already forgotten about all of it. I don't hear anybody talking about Kendrick Lemar/death grips, and I live in a super artsy city. I see a lot of people who like Suicideboys, but that will be dead by next year no doubt.

Music is pretty dead both underground and mainstream desu. People don't really go to local shows anymore, and people stopped making bands too.
>>
>>71459471
like it or not dubstep was huge in the late 00's/early 10's
>>
>>71459480
Oh yeah I forgot about that.

But I don't think that left as much of a cultural impression as the emo/metalcore/indie trend did. Many of those bands are still around and making music, they're just not as commercialized and they don't play as much.

Dubstep on the other hand, every single person that I knew who was into that no longer likes it. I also don't see ANY national dubstep shows in my city. Hardly ever.
>>
>>71459423
You're right, they are
>>
i dont care
>>
>>71459471
Take off your nostalgia glasses. People have been saying the same shit as you since the 30s and probably before that too.
>>
>>71459520
>But I don't think that left as much of a cultural impression as the emo/metalcore/indie trend did.
raves are huge and commercialized as fuck now; a direct result of dubstep growing in popularity (which inadvertedly made other electronic genres popular)
>>
>>71459471
>high-energy
You're retarded
>>
>>71459369
Okay, first up is a history lesson.

Mainstream music used to be strictly what was played on the radio. As this decade has progressed, radio has become increasingly irrelevant as mobile devices have allowed people to take and play music downloaded through both legal and illegal sources wherever they go, and streaming services such as Spotify and Apple Music have allowed users to create custom stations with minimal interruptions that play music based on what an algorithm thinks they might like, which allows them to find new music like they never could before. The only reason people listen to radio anymore is for talk radio, the news, the weather, or sports. Mainstream is now truly whatever is "popular," although major labels only allow certain music to become popular. This has allowed content with unprecedented levels of obscenity become "mainstream."

At the heart of the matter, neither the term "mainstream" nor "underground" ever had any actual meaning, they were just adjectives that were used as a sort of social currency to gain an edge on other people or to fit in with a crowd. It was considerably harder to find underground music back then, yes, but it was also harder to get mainstream music as well given the technological restraints of the time.

I honestly don't give a fuck about what either of these morons say, and no, I did not watch the videos, but the truth is that the labels of "mainstream" and "underground" have always been irrelevant at a practical, realistic level except when it comes to marketing the music (a product) towards a certain demographic. Whatever sentimental value people gain from these labels is worthless to everyone but themselves.
>>
>>71459582
>Nostalgia glasses

I've debated this with myself, and I don't think I am wearing nostalgia glasses.

Electronic music is the first music movement that usually has no lyrics, nobody playing instruments, and nobody performing anything. It is actually lacking many of the characteristics that music have always had since...forever.

Most music movements had an idea behind them too. From what I understand, electronic music is just a vague mish-mash of 1960's hippie shit mixed with new drugs and sometimes sex.

It really does not have an idea behind it, because the ideals of the 1960's are irrelevent now. They're like 40 years old at this point. It does not even make any sense.

The electronic music movement really is just a lost, confused, nihilistic movement that is actually lacking a lot of the personal touch that has always made music enjoyable or emotional in the past.

>>71459669
shut up faggot
>>
>>71459736
>Mainstream and underground are meaningless terms

Definitely not true. There has always been an "in" and "out" crowd in music, especially back in the days of classical music. Back then, it was all about which church you were employed with, what conservatory you studied at, if the conservatories would book you at their concerts, if you were approved by certain composers ect. ect.

Like "stravinsky" and "debussy" were radical for their time, and many classical composer's music was considered "too radical" to be performed at the "in" places. Just like it always has been.

But in the past, Top 40 wasn't the end of the world. Sometimes they would put something edgy on the radio and test it out, see how it sold. Kinda like Nirvana and shit like that. They don't do that anymore. At some point in the 00's that restructured Hollywood, and now it's like 4 producers who write 95% of the music that gets on the radio. They don't even experiment with shit anymore, they just use computer algorithms to create hooks and then write the whole thing with computer software, have a brand name singer come in, and that's it

>The internet has changed this

True, but ony to an extent. YouTube is proof of this.

A good "underground" artist will get like 500k plays on YouTube if they REALLY have a big following. A typical radio hit can get up to 600,000,000. Look at Justin Bieber, he has over ONE BILLION PLAYS on one youtube video.

That's not because these top 40 songs are better than any underground music, it's because the average person doesn't really give a fuck and just listens to whatever the radio plays for them, which is all written by 4 song writers in LA and uses computer algorithms to write hooks.
>>
File: 1476816723933.png (206KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476816723933.png
206KB, 800x800px
>>71459744
This is the most absolutely fucking wrong and autistic post I think I have ever seen on this website. But I'm bored so I'm gonna respond.

First off, electronic by itself is not a genre of music. But I'm gonna ignore that for your sake because it's a common mistake.

>Electronic music is the first music movement that usually has no lyrics

What is jazz
What is classical

>nobody playing instruments,

A computer can be an instrument when it is used to create sound that is intended as "music" from a music artist.

>nobody performing anything

Do you mean that there are no electronic concerts because this is demonstrably false.

>inb4 they just sit on stage and press buttons

technically yes but that would be extremely reductionist to say.

>Most music movements had an idea behind them too. From what I understand, electronic music is just a vague mish-mash of 1960's hippie shit mixed with new drugs and sometimes sex.

Well clearly you don't understand electronic then. It is far more complex than you comprehend. EDM is primarily focused around the idea of making music enjoyable to dance too. IDM is a reaction to this, with much more sonic experimentation than is found in EDM. The relationship between breakbeat, jungle, dubstep, drill n bass, etc. All of these genres are ideas and reactions too one another. Do some research before you make uneducated statements and look like a fool.

Also

If you are implying that electronic has no definable aesthetic you are demonstrably false.

>The electronic music movement really is just a lost, confused, nihilistic movement that is actually lacking a lot of the personal touch that has always made music enjoyable or emotional in the past.

Electronic music can be extremely emotional. I know this is anecdotal but I have been brought to tears by Burial - Untrue on multiple occasions.

For fuck sakes I barely even listen to electronic music (I mostly listen to punk and metal) yet still seem to know much more than you.
>>
>>71459471
i'm honestly okay if that's how it's gonna be in the future, less icon worship and traditionalism and such, there don't need to be "classics"
>>
I fucking hate music that came before what we have now
>>
20s-80s all sucked really hard. 90s was great. 00s was okay. This decade is by far the best
>>
>>71459906
Not the same guy but the first part of your post is terrible.

He said:
>Electronic music is the first music movement that usually has no lyrics, nobody playing instruments, and nobody performing anything.
As a singular statement. There is, generally, no one actually performing in electronic music. It's the first time in popular in which the artist is solely a composer and not either performing it themselves or arranging others to perform it for them. Normally, live there is little to no improvisation . It's pre produced music and stage lights. I'm not saying that it's bad or agreeing with his post, but this is a huge first for music.

I'd also argue that current edm culture is just a coopt of 60s hippie culture, but i could say similar stuff about a lot music.
>>
>>71459906
>I have opinions so I am smart

No

>Jazz, classical

No, I said that electronic has no lyrics, instruments, or anybody performing anything. Jazz and classical are a demonstration of the human ability and require years to be able to perform one piece in front of an audience.

>Did you mean there are no electronic concerts
>That's reductionist
No, it's true. I am a professional classical guitarist. I have many friends who are DJs or whatever, and I've seen what they do. It's next to nothing. They're performance is "reductionist" be default because they are doing next to nothing while on stage.

>n-no the idea is that the electronic music has a background
>do some research!!!11
Yeah obviously faggot. Most music is influenced by past music in it's genre. I'm saying there are no abstract ideas with the EDM music.

1960's folk was around the civil rights movement, the rejection of "western" values, the skepticism of Christianity, and a general re-evaluation of all of society's value

The 1970's were a continuation of this, "rock n' roll" experimenting with mysticism and occultism with Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath, a high-energy rebellion taking the 1960's civil rights movement a step further. Drugs really went mainstream during this time, which was a major theme in a lot of music. The electric distorted guitar was like the sexiest thing anybody had ever heard or seen

1980's - A reaction to the economic boom. A little bit of a relapse in conservativism, a lot of experimentation with pop music. People kind of re-found their love for capitalism a little bit and stuff like that

1990's - Not really sure. If anybody knows what was going on in this time and how music reflected it please tell me

00's - An embrace of pessimism, a lot of music focusing on the "darkness" or the "realism" in life. I think irony mocking the 1990's started showing it's head in this time

>I cried

Ok

>I know mor e than you
fuck off cunt
>>
>>71460108
Yeah cos watching some drug addict with the body of a 12 year old and girls hair, humping the wall is SO entertaining
>>
>>71460141
I >>71460108 defended you hear man, but damn learn your music history.
>>
>>71459369
Didn't PJW say he was gonna make a response?
>>
>>71460173
What are you talking about?
>>
>>71459423
Saying both people's points are shit and that they're morons doesn't mean you're refusing to take a side you goddamn troglodyte.
>>
>>71459744
are people seriously this stupid on /mu/ now? I know this place isn't supposed to be the pinnacle of fucking educated dialogue, but please find somewhere else to post if you're this ignorant about music.
>>
>>71460207
Musicians look fucking gay and nobody wants to look at them. They have less testosterone than most of the population and they look like trannies. Being performed by a human is not an advantage.
>>
>>71460260
Bait the hook, lad.
>>
>>71460260
>They have less testosterone than most of the population and they look like trannies.
agree
>Being performed by a human is not an advantage.
personally disagree. but that wasn't the point of post it was that
>It's the first time in popular in which the artist is solely a composer and not either performing it themselves or arranging others to perform it for them.
I even said
>I'm not saying that it's bad or agreeing with his post, but this is a huge first for music.
>>
Fuck off.
>>
This board is becoming everything it used to hate
>>
>>71460286
Im actually serious. I fucking hate musicians that are in bands. Every single one I've met has been so annoying. And they do have lower testosterone. Female musicians have more testosterone than most women aswell.

I like professional composers. I fucking hate bands.
>>
>>71460315
Oh sorry for some reason I thought you were saying his post wasnt bad, its really late here ¬
>>
OP here

I guess what I am saying, is that 95% of the music I hear, both "underground" and "mainstream" is just pointless.

Most of the lyrics written today are sort of flirting with or parroting ideas from the 1960's. I see a lot of lyrics bashing "western values" that haven't been the established identity SINCE the 1960's

Like, musicians have nothing to write about and just LARP like it's still the 60's. A lot of rap is either about the struggles of the community that they're from with some sort of twist. Look at "Acid Rap" by Chance The Rapper. That is a normie favorite, but the lyrics are pretty fucking pointless. He's just talking about ghetto life with an "LSD" flavor to it (more 1960's idealism show it's head".

Death Grips was sort of an ironic rap project with a "cyber" vibe to it a little bit. A lot of his lyrics were actually pro-LGBT. More civil rights shit, which is an 1960's thing. Irony also has to be mocking something, and I felt like it had nothing to mock. What was he mocking? The fact that we live in a cyber based world? We already know that shit sucks, you don't need to tell us.

These musicians have nothing to write about so they just dig around the 1960's to get ideas. I personally do not want to hear another "black man's story laced with modern irony" or a self-loathing white guy from the suburbs anymore. I don't give a shit. The ideas have been beaten into the ground.

Musicians need to stop writing music for like 5 years, go experience new things, and try to change themselves, because nobody has SHIT to say right now.
>>
>>71460389
No sweat dog. Is this you >>71460341 though?
>>
>>71460341
Cool anecdotes and baseless claims.
>>
>>71460333
>becoming
You're about 2 years late.
>>
>>71460141

I can't tell what kind of point you are trying to make with your "No" at the beginning.

> I said that electronic has no lyrics, instruments, or anybody performing anything.

I know. First I proved that a) it is not the first major musical movement with no lyrics (I used jazz and classical to make this point), and b) it does use instruments. The only point that remains out of this statement is that it has no performance.

If you meant this as a singular statement, then it is too specific to be meaningful. You could make a similar statement out of any genre. "Black metal is the first genre with tremolo picked guitars and wretched vocals and blast beats." So? those are characteristics that make it a genre. That is not significant in any way.

>I have many friends who are DJs or whatever, and I've seen what they do.

First off DJing and an electronic performance are extremely different things. If Aphex Twin is playing music, it will say on the poster whether it is a DJ set or not so that the listener knows what to expect. There are multitudinous unique challenges electronic artists face when trying to translate their studio songs to a live setting. Just look at the variety of synths and drum machines used by many electronic artists in their live performances to see what I mean.

>I'm saying there are no abstract ideas with the EDM music

Well this is the first I've heard this. You said in your original post that electronic music had no "idea behind it." But now you have narrowed that down to abstract ideas within EDM only? Well in that case, yes, you are correct. But electronic music as a whole can be host to countless abstract and brilliant ideas.

Your summary of music history is embarrassing and pathetic.

Also, please for your own sake stop the desperate attempts at humour, it only increases my pity for you and no one is laughing.
>>
>>71460413
I'm not going to dissect this post because i think it's half retarded half good.

But
>nobody has SHIT to say right now.
I half agree with you. Rock has been looking firmly to the past since the late 90s. And i feel like a lot of other genres are starting to do the same. Barring 12 tone serialism with trap beats i can't think of what music will sound like 10-20 years from now. Will it get stagnant? Will there be a dramatic shift?
>>
>>71460341
What if the bandleader is also a professional composer?
>>
>>71460341
OP here

I am a professional musician and I agree. Your average musician today is a completely worthless faggot who should not even be playing music. Even the way they talk is abolutely disgusting. They talk with a lazy un-sure apathetic "chill" vibe that makes me want to incite violence against them

>>71460326
shut up faggot

>>71460260
They didn't used to look like this. I don't know what happened. Any non top-40 concert is either somebody rapping to a backing track or pasty white guys with shaggy hair singing about how they are ashamed to be a white male with shaggy hair.

>>71460181
What're you talking about, I think I am pretty close. Music is a result of the culture, and I am just talking about what was going on in culture that influenced music.

Talk to any musician, they will tell you music took a hit after 2008 because of the recession. People have not been as inspired to write a good album, because there is an even lower chance that they will make money off of it than in the past.

Because the economy has been shit, less people are willing to spend money going to a show. Many taleneted people just gave up altogether.
>>
>>71460550
Literally everything you say can be boiled down too "music sucks nowadays, not like back when it used to be great!!!!1!"
>>
ITT: I was born in the wrong generation
>>
>>71460550
As a musician as well, I kind of agree with this. I try to speak as eloquently as possible. I don't mind the "chill" speak too much (I'm Californian), but it makes you look credible if you have a sizeable vocabulary and decent diction.
>>71459597
That's the reason why EDM is declining in popularity.
>>71459736
Frank Zappa explained that in a really good interview he did. He explained that when the industry was more laissez-faire, executives were willing to take more risks.
>>
>>71459369
>>retard brays at other retard

k d00d
>>
>>71460550
Me >>71460181
The only thing correct part of your timeline was like half of the 60s and 80s. Especially the 2000s part. We didn't really get this mopey shit until the last 5 years. We had the leftover bits from the upbeat half of the 90s, until we got into the R&B and crunk era, followed by the "in the club" years. The only thing that was pessimistic was rock in the beginning of the decade, but the got taken over by the post punk revival stuff and the "indie" boom.
>>
would you fluoride-poisoned pussy motherfuckers just admit you're latent tripfags or fuck off to reddit where you belong jesus
>>
>>71460584
The difference between what I am saying and the old dad-rock guy spouting the "music ain't what it used to be meme" is this:

Our modern society has never been where it is right now. We have never in American history had a GDP decrease after a recession, which is what we had. People don't realize it, but that effects our culture.

The reason that Russia generally makes shitty music is because their economy is shitty. The reason that our art/music has been shitty is because our economy has been shitty.

On top of that, our culture has somewhat lost it's identity. Nobody has anything to say, so nobody makes any art that is good. We've always had something to say through out history.

What can we say today that hasn't been said? Babyboomers are shit, millenials are low-test beta pussies. Our economy is shit, most college degrees are worthless, the divorce rate has damaged the idea of marriage for many, religion has lost it's meaning for most people.

The average person you talk to will tell you that our society is complete shit from the top to the bottom. All anybody cares about is making enough money, and having health insurance.

The only interesting thing happening right now is the fact that our government is so corrupt that we had to throw a human molotov cocktail at it (Donald Trump) to see if it would do something. Nobody can make art/music about that though because there's nothing left to say about it. We already fucking know, it would just be redundant
>>
>>71460694
There's a LOT of shit happening in those time eras, and a lot of things happening in different genres of music.

What sticks out to me in the 00's was the emo/indie/metalcore/post-hardcore music, because that was a pretty amazing phenomenon. I still have a hard time believing that was ever commercialized. When you ask a white person about music from the 00's they'll say "Oh yeah I loved going to shows and driving home from high schoo listening to Underoath/fall out boy ect. ect."

That's just a significant cultural staple in 00's music that actually has some staying power, people still respect that music. If you ask somebody (even black people) about crunk/club music, they don't have much to say about it. They'll say "oh ya I like dat ludacris song" or something.
>>
>>71460712
I suppose I understand you, except I can't fully because I wasn't alive during the years in which our society was supposedly "better," so I can't really comment on whether or not they were actually better or if there were always people like you who claimed society to be rotten to the core.

I think that real progressive music today will be shit like TPAB, whether you like it or not on that album Kendrick really airs out his dirty laundry about society and the world and now that album is basically canonized as a modern classic. If the world really is as fucked as you say then hopefully more music comes out that really takes modern culture to the cutting table and comes up with some interesting results.
>>
>>71460420
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1778236
>>
>>71460810

Honestly, this explains so much about me.
>>
>>71460794
I'm just talking about what's popular. Scene kid/metalcore kids were a niche and didn't take hold until the later in the decade. The "emo" that was popular (fall out boy, greenday, mcr) had alot of negative connotations, but was generally delivered tongue in cheek with upbeat music. The rock that was actually popular (Nickelback, Daughtry) was about sad things (break ups) but the music was really just recycled grunge riffs. A lot of these bands had either explicit or implied religious tones and lyrics contained themes of looking forward for petter days (aka optimism). But rock wasn't really a cultural force in the 00s or 10s. The last #1 rock song on the billboard charts was How You remind Me by Nickelback in 2001. Crunk and Club music are a better reflection of the time.
>>
>>71460810
I want to see their definition of "creative musical behavior" because this sounds like meme study.
>>
>>71460799
Kendrick Lamar is just more of the same 1960's shit

>Christians bad!
>Fuck da republicans
>Poor black people!
>Da discrimination!
>Muh black struggles
>Hommies back at the ghetto

Like, when your lyrics have the exact same subject matter as a Huffington Post/Buzzfeed article, why even write them?

It'd be like a country music star talking about a bunch of Fox News talking points.

You're not rebelling against anything when your views are already the establishment
>>
>>71460971
Not him, but did you actually listen to the album? That's not even close to the themes of the album. You're killing your arguments that had some merit.
>>
>>71461001
I'm skimming through the lyrics of "To Pimp a butterfly", haven't heard it though. What's a good example of him?
>>
>>71459866
>That's not because these top 40 songs are better than any underground music, it's because the average person doesn't really give a fuck and just listens to whatever the radio plays for them, which is all written by 4 song writers in LA and uses computer algorithms to write hooks.

Oh, please. It was that bad decades ago. How many stamped-from-an-assembly-line 80s hair metal acts were there? They literally all had the same two songs (power ballad and shredder guitar rocker), dressed the same, and sang in the same annoying falsetto voice.
>>
>>71460971
You either didn't listen to or didn't understand TPAB. I know this because the themes you claim are on the album literally aren't there.

>Christians bad!

he literally talks a lot about his faith on this album

>Fuck da republicans

No mention or reference to political parties

>Poor black people!

He heavily criticizes black people for not taking control of their lives and doesn't pity them

>Da discrimination!

it's not as much about discrimination as it is about black people taking pride in themselves.

>Muh black struggles

Ok this one is on there but it's well done, in depth, and smart.

>Hommies back at the ghetto

this is like the opposite of a gangster rap album. It's a condemnation of the hood attitude.
>>
>>71461057
>>71461057
I am skimming through the lyrics of To Pimp a Butterfly right now. I was referring to lines that I saw in the music. Literally said "Punch a republican", talks about Compton every other line, talking a lot about "corrupt preachers/religion" ect. ect.

Show me a good Kendrick Lamar song.
>>
>>71460712
Britain made fantastic music during the dark days of the 70s when unions were striking every 5 minutes.
>>
>>71461033
Going by this album alone, listen to: u, i, the blacker the berry (makes more since in the context of the album, it's not what you think it's about at first), and these wall.
>>
>>71461122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDk5zaoeN1o

Listen to TPAB, a lot of the songs sound better in context. While here it is divisive, I honestly believe it is the most important album in recent history,
>>
>>71461122
I just did,>>71461142
Listen to the full track. He's saying black people (a purposefully stereotyped version of black people) could replace white people (a purposefully stereotyped version of white people) and the world would still be as bad. Because the issue is a human issue. Everyone blames an outside source for their problems, but no one wants to deal with their internal issues.
>>
File: 90skid.png (836KB, 900x1593px) Image search: [Google]
90skid.png
836KB, 900x1593px
>>71459582
Nostalgia glasses is a meme. I can go back and listen to music from the 80s and 90s, both underground and mainstream and find a lot of decent stuff, whereas nowadays I really have to spend a lot of time digging. Distribution and recording costs used to be prohibitively high which created some quality control. Now that's all gone out the window. Every kid with a laptop is a producer and beatmaker now.
>>
>>71461131
The were rebelling against the current "establishment" though, right?

That's what is missing now. The musicians are supporting the establishment so music has no balls
>>
>>71461205
The establishment is a meme. Popular music has never gone against the establishment. The CIA purposefully promoted rock music.
>>
>>71460141
>1960s
First half of the decade was all goofy pop music. Motown girl groups and surf rock mostly. It reflected the optimism America was feeling under a charismatic young president. Even after his brains got splattered on the pavement, the overall American mindset was one of sunny optimism and good times up to 1966. Then the decade ended with the Deluge...
>1970s
Sluggish, cynical, druggy. The early 70s was all about campy horrorcore like Sabbath, Alice Cooper, and the Stooges, also the afterbreath of the counterculture. People fantasized about escaping from a decaying society. Late 70s gave way to faster, more dynamic music as punk rock rose up.
>1980s
Metal was at its peak as the Reagan years created this ultra-muscled, tough guy culture. Sunny optimism in mid-decade gave way to a little bit darker musical sound in late decade.
>1990s
America was in a recession to begin the decade and post-Cold War letdown. This led to cynical, angsty music becoming cool. Europe for comparison favored good-time-fun music celebrating the fall of the Iron Curtain. Late decade brought about a return of fun music during the sunny Dot Com Bubble days.
>>
>>71461266
Closer. But still kinda shit. Y'all need to stop focusing on rock and focus on what was actually popular. That is a better reflection of society.
>>
>>71461242
Sure not mainstream music. Music is a continuous cycle of young, edgy, daring underground bands growing up and becoming mainstream and "establishment", only to give way to the next young, underground movement.
>>
>>71461293
Nope. It's not. Underground music stays underground and dies there. Unless a) a big label picks them up b) a popular artist picks them up. We have the internet now so less popular acts like Fishmans can pop up. But even that is to a limited degree.
>>
>>71461290
Major label acts offer a condensed, commercialized version of what's going on in the underground. For example, grunge was 80s underground rock going mainstream.
>>
>>71461175
>>71461191
Listened to it, absolutely hate it. I'll level with you and say that it's cool that he's bashing identity politics/mindset though. If I were black I'd probably like it

>>71461242
Establishment isn't a meme, but yeah pop music is usually controlled. The blatent occult symbolism in every pop music video in the last 5 years is weird as fuck.

>>71461266
How did Regan years create high-test metalheads?

>1960's
1960's was the launchpad of SJW faggotry with John Lennon singing "imagine" type bullshit right?

>1980's
There was a ton of shit happening then. Music had a TON of money in it too

>90's
interesting. I remember being like 12 years old in 2001 and all of the music being REALLY upbeat for a while (Smashmouth, baha men), then Linkin Park getting really popular, then underground emo/indie shit taking off.
>>
>>71461293
The problem is that this isn't happening anymore. Underground is not transitioning to mainstream anymore.

The dude from Radiohead even said it. Hollywood had a MAJOR shift in label ownership. They don't invest in established artists anymore. The whole thing is like 4 song writers who create their own artists/bands, or they pick a band and then write all their music for them.

Look it up. Most of the music on the radio today is written by the same 4 people, and produced by one person.
>>
>>71461343
Nope. Those underground acts signed to major the labels. Sonic Youth made Nirvana popular not the other way around. The actual underground stuff normally dies with the band.
>>71461347
I meant that rebelling against the establishment is a meme. You listened to all of those Kendrick Lamar songs I listed?
>>
File: Rambo_2-Machine_Gun.jpg (28KB, 375x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rambo_2-Machine_Gun.jpg
28KB, 375x300px
>>71461347
'Cos Reagan rebuilt the US military, confronted communism, and made patriotism cool again after the post-Vietnam malaise. American pop culture adopted this ultra-macho mentality and metal was a reflection of that.
>>
>>71461372
>Look it up. Most of the music on the radio today is written by the same 4 people, and produced by one person.
It's not that bad, but it's close to this yes. It was less of a major shift and more of an attempt to capture there sterile, yet profitable essence of disco. Where there were only a few song writers who pumped out music for hundreds of musicians.
>>
"Underground" is relative.

One man's obscure is another's man's usual.
>>
>>71461380
Listening to the album watching the vid for "Alright" right now. I live in Chicago surrounded by violent retarded niggers who hate white people so when I see this shit I just laugh. In my opinion, any black artist who doesn't want to burn "African American" culture to the ground is a fucking moron. Or is that what he's trying to say here? I can't tell.

I also just don't think this is that profound or says anything too new, although I like the brass.

One black rapper who I kind of like is "Busdriver".
>>
>>71461498
Alright was a weird track to pick. It's poppier and I believe he's speaking in character. If you think black culture holds no value, you're retarded and I don't think you are. Nothing he's saying is profound, but most lyrics in general aren't saying anything writers haven't before. He's just painting a picture of his life and the people that are immediately around him. u and i are better examples of him being blunt with his messages
>>
>>71459471
>far-left libshits
that's a contradiction
>>
>>71459471
I agree 2009 was the last year for impactful culture defining music
>>
>>71461556
I would say at this point, America and African Americans would benefit greatly if they were able to re-locate to Africa. Although most of the African migrants I know hate African Americans, so that might not work out.

I would say African American culture is bigger liability than an asset at this point. I'm not racist either, because I really like North African migrants.

In Chicago, they do nothing but violently terrorize people for absolutely no reason, and then get their fat nigger lips on the news and cry about the police arresting them. I mean, they're fucking shooting little kids at this point. I know black people in the suburbs who are like "Yeah most African Americans are literal subhuman animals. Idk."

But regardless, I don't think Kendrick will really stick out in twenty years. His videos are pretty cool, and the jazz parts on his album are cool too, but I just don't think it has anything that will be remembered. I would even say that this type of music where "black people are painting a picture of their lives" is at the end of it's lifespan. I don't think the market will continue to support it from now on
>>
fantana is a big guy
>>
>>71461643
I don't even remember any albums that came out in 2009, but I do remember that every album I've heard since 2010 has been lacking for the most part. Once again, I think it's because the 2008 recession ruined music.
>>
>>71461656
>In Chicago, they do nothing but violently terrorize people for absolutely no reason, and then get their fat nigger lips on the news and cry about the police arresting them. I mean, they're fucking shooting little kids at this point. I know black people in the suburbs who are like "Yeah most African Americans are literal subhuman animals. Idk."

All of that is Obama's fault. He kicked a hornet's nest.
>>
>>71461656
>I'm not racist
>their fat nigger lips
Lmao. Kidding though. I grew in a shit town that was half Mexican/Puerto Rican (same thing) and half black. I'm half white half Puerto Rican. I've seen ghetto culture, which is the issue, but most of my friends were Hispanic or black and they weren't ghetto. A lot of them lived in shit situations. But they chose to be better. What you're seeing is ghetto culture and people choosing to live this lifestyle. There's more to black culture as a whole culture than the shit you see.
>>
>>71461680
In a way I sort of feel bad, because I think they are fucked from now on.

There is definitely a rising anti-black sentiment in Chicago. It's very low-key, but it is there. I'd society wanted to give black people a shot. Like give them the cultural steering wheel for a bit, and it did not work out. At all.

Black people are getting fired everywhere, NOBODY has anything good to say about them anymore. 2013-2016 was the death of white guilt. I can tell that nobody has one ounce of compassion for african americans anymore, and they just roll their eyes when they hear about some black person "telling their story" or whatever.

They really fucked themselves over. Permanently. They're never coming back from this.
>>
>>71461678
just look up 2009 indie albums
>>
>>71461721
The problem is that the black community apparently are like a Borg collective with no ability at independent thinking. King Nig told them (in essence) "Whitey is out to get you. You must rise against him." and they bought it hook, line, and sinker.

So in that sense it is their fault, for believing Obama was some kind of black messiah and not stopping to think that he was using them as his pawns for Marxist class warfare.
>>
>>71459369
I rate the Antony Fantano meme 3/100 and award it 10 meme points at max. Fuck this balding motherfucker, just another shilling tastemaker.
>>
>>71461372
>The problem is that this isn't happening anymore. Underground is not transitioning to mainstream anymore.

t. why doesn't Sony or somebody sign rawk bands anymore we need a new AC/DC

Yeah nah, that music is never coming back because it was a product of its time.
>>
>>71461833
>strawman

America is (supposed) to be a free-market society. The commercialization of new music is a good thing. We need money pumped into music. This stupid bullshit where artists are like "We don't need labels. We just sell our albums directly to our fans and book our own tours" shit isn't working. 75 people show up to see them in Houston and they all have to work part-time at their local bar at the age of 36.

It's stiffling good music, because money is a very inspirational tool.
>>
>>71461833
Oh, you haven't heard Airbourne yet?
>>
>>71461886
This is true. Big labels are a necessary evil. A major label would sign 20 bands knowing that 1 was likely to be a break out success. But that 1 artist would pay for the costs of the other artists many times over.
>>
File: IMG_20170109_164259_229.jpg (47KB, 901x472px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170109_164259_229.jpg
47KB, 901x472px
>>71461779
>there are people that believe this
Stay #woke senpai
>>
>>71459471

>emo isn't inherently depressed
>>
>>71459396
This
PJW was dumb but Melon barely refuted any of his points
>>
>>71459736
>I honestly don't give a fuck about what either of these morons say, and no, I did not watch the videos

you literally agree word for word with Fantano, congrats idiot.
>>
File: fucking really.jpg (16KB, 367x388px) Image search: [Google]
fucking really.jpg
16KB, 367x388px
I'm a fan of both these people.

And this whole thread gives me cancer.
>>
>>71462662
>I'm a fan of both these people.
why do you get your opinions from completely unqualified attention whoring 20-somethings
>>
>>71462719
why do you get your opinions from 14 year olds edgy kids on an image board who know nothing about music?
>>
>>71460023
T. Neekeri
>>
I would say fantano is right here, although his music taste is shitty he knows a hell of a lot more than Paul
>>
>>71459369
Paul is reasonable on most topics, but whenever he starts talking about subjugation of western values and "them", it's laughable to say the least. This video and his video about global warming were just emberassing. He chose horrible examples of authenticity in music - Kanye, Hopsin. He could've chosen Frank Zappa for example, as he did in his earlier videos. But that's what you get when you rush your research. Fantano on the other hand, made ad hominem attacks and discredited his mostly valid points. What really bothered me about his video is that he praised Duchamp's urinal as an early form of shitposting. Like shitposting is a virtue...
>>
>>71459744

Haha are you fucking serious?

Electronic music has been being made since the 50s. You claim later ITT to be classically trained but you don't know Stockhausen, Xenakis, Radigue, Schaefer...?

Ekectronic music is not something that just sprung up this decade, it has been around for a long time.

The fact that you don't know this is enough to discredit anything else you say.
>>
>>71459369
PJW is a fucking retard, why would anyone think he has any authority whatsoever to comment about music.
>>
>>71459866
>all written by 4 song writers in LA and uses computer algorithms to write hooks

Who are you describing here?
>>
File: 1433383751855.jpg (64KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1433383751855.jpg
64KB, 500x700px
>>71459736
>Mainstream music used to be strictly what was played on the radio.

Mainstream music was what was in the charts(which were based on record sales) and the top 40 would then be played by mainstream radio stations

even with 80s record charts being more crooked than a three-legged soviet rocking horse an album/single charting meant it was already popular
>>
Mainstream Meteorologist knows fuck all about anything, but is good at tenuously linking random topics to SJWs and muh cultural marxism. It's no surprise that he's also very ill informed about popular culture.

Comes across as yer da incarnate here.
>>
YOUR-EEEEEYE-NULLL
>>
>>71459471
t. PJW
>>
I really love Melon heads pose in that thumbnail
>>
I never knew /mu/ could be this uneducated about music history especially about stuff that happened less than a fucking decade ago. I guess I'm getting too old for this board I don't know.
>>
>>71459423

>fuck nuance, everything is a rigid us vs them dichotomy
>>
>>71459423
Is this just Boy vs Girl with different colors?
>>
>>71465646
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>71462330
How?i don't like Fantano but I think he soundly t deconstructed the argument
>>
>>71459471
emo, indie and metalcore have been around since the 80's
>>
>>71465779
yeah, I am triggered.

>rise of indie/emo shit
>in da club phase

there's barely any difference between here and reddit anymore. I mean, it's always been a shithole, but at least people we're open minded about new music and actually informed about what happened musically after the 80s.
>>
Remember when popular music was upstanding and pure? Me neither
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.