[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drummers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: BuddyRich.jpg (92KB, 655x800px) Image search: [Google]
BuddyRich.jpg
92KB, 655x800px
ITT: some of the best known drummers, whether they play jazz or rock or whatever (besides pic related)
>>
Well I'll post my fave to kick it off
>>
>>71438798
Buddy Rich is a cool guy, but I can't get behind this statement. Plenty of capable drummers that wind up playing in rock bands
>>
>>71439303
Yeah I feel the same way, i guess just cause jazz drumming is a whole other animal he feels that only a certain level of skill is required to handle it
>>
>>71439565
>>71439303
Buddy Rich was a traditionalist who disliked rock and country. He's an excellent technician, one of the best in the genre. but he can't swing like Jo Jones or Max Roach and lacks the experimental tendencies of Rashied Ali,Jack DeJohnette or Ronald Shannon Jackson. As for rock drummers, Jaki Liebezeit proves Rich wrong on so many levels.
>>
>>71439235
Don't give me wrong, I like this guy's work with Zappa and think he's an excellent technician, but don't you think he went haywire by constructing these unnecessarily large drum kits? I understand that he's trying to use his drum kit as a melodic instrument, but as they say, "less is more".
>>
>>71439687
You know what Terry Bozzio has paid his dues in umpteen great bands and the guy can have a kit as big as he fucking likes. If anybody can play a kit that big it's Bozzio.
>>
>>71439642
Yeah, Jaki Liebezeit, John McEntire, and Kevin Shea are my go to rock drummers when talking about drummers with people
>>
>>71439720
To be fair, I said that he uses it creatively so it's not like he's dicking around on it. But still, it's just...overwhelming to say the least.
>>
>>71439759
I'd just hate to be his drum tech. Lol.
Maybe he does it himself...

https://youtu.be/XR3KWRDK3_U
>>
>>71439721
John McEntire and John Heardon are both superb drummers. Tortoise has a very strong rhythm section and they both stand out. I need to check out Kevin Shea and Storm & Stress though.
>>
>>71439817
I love Storm and Stress, Kevin's a monster on this album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKCpBLIo24
>>
>>71439782
With a kit that big, he either does or hires multiple drum techs. His performance of the Black Page is still one of my favorite drum solos.
>>
>>71438798
Check out this tight shit with Bill Ward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlojYuOUWLI
>>
>>71440711
Sick! I loved how he overdubbed toms during the double-time section. Definitely the Ginger Baker of heavy metal drumming.
>>
Tony Williams playing on In A Silent Way is still some of the best drumming I have heard to date
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.