[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Iggy mix is a disaster. What the fuck were they thinking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: RawPower-sleeve.jpg (85KB, 953x932px) Image search: [Google]
RawPower-sleeve.jpg
85KB, 953x932px
The Iggy mix is a disaster. What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
V O L U M E
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Raw Power [Columbia/Legacy, 1997]

Strict constructionists and lo-fi snobs charge indignantly that by remixing his own album Iggy has made a mockery of history and done irreparable damage to a priceless work of art. This is really stupid. Before it was anointed the Platonic idea of rock and roll by desperate young men who didn't have much else to choose from, first-generation Iggyphiles charged just as indignantly that David Bowie had mixed the real thing way too thin--as Iggy observes, this classic-by-comparison always sounded "weedy" (although, not to insult a valued colleague, "David's" version was also "very creative"). So the pumped bass and vocals Iggy has uncovered on the original tapes, which were supposed to coexist with their high-end screech to begin with, are a quantum improvement. Plus you can finally hear the celeste on "Penetration"--sounds great! Only the slow ones, which like all of Iggy's slow ones are not as good as his fast ones, stand between a statement of principle and a priceless work of art. A-
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHbqp8WxeUc

Guitar Hero version is unironically the best version.
>>
>>71415674
That's not even The Stooges.
Guitar Hero songs are just covers.
>>
>>71415693
I know that
>>
Apparently Bowie did the mixing in like an hour probably in between a couple lines of coke, and you can see the results.
>>
>>71415693
Well hey Raw Power isn't even The Stooges either
>>
File: Iggy-Bowie-1976.jpg (27KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
Iggy-Bowie-1976.jpg
27KB, 500x300px
>He said, 'See what you can do with this.'
>I said, 'Jim, there's nothing to mix.'
>So we just pushed the vocal up and down a lot.
>>
>>71415571
dude distortion lmao
>>
I tried listening to the Bowie mix after hearing the Iggy mix first and that shit almost put me to sleep. The Iggy mix is tasteless but at least it fits the nature of the music.
>>
>>71418687
Bro it straight up hurts your ears and fucks your speakers. it's indefensible
>>
>>71418743

But it first the music better. Raw Power is a loud, violent record and a loud, violent mix works for it. Neither mix is great but aesthetically Iggy's works better for the music. Bowie's probably would've been better if he had more time to work on it and not just shit out a last minute thing, though.
>>
>>71415571
sounds fine

idk. its easy to talk shit on a mix in 2017 but that record is still tight as fuck even if it could have been mixed better
>>
>>71415571
yeah i can't believe they made it quieter that shit hurt so good
>>
>>71415571
Why can't a professional music producer (not fucking Rick Rubin) remix this album? Both mixes suck.
>>
Bowie mix sounds like teasing while the Iggy mix is straight-up rape without lube.
>>
>>71420098
You really know about that
>>
>>71419949
Probably because the actual recording masters suck too.
>>
>>71419949
shit in = shit out
the recordings themselves suck balls, and nothing can be done about that
>>
>>71419949
as others have said, the recordings are bad. no amount of remixing will ever get those guitar licks to sound natiral with everything else, nothing will make the icepick guitar tone fuller, etc
>>
Reminds me of Judas Priest. Holy god, were their early albums mixed and recorded terribly. They didn't have anything resembling a good mix until Hell Bent For Leather, and Stained Class is especially bad. There's no bass at all, the drums are mixed too high, and the guitars sound like they were recorded on a portable cassette player.
>>
>>71421031
The first two Priest albums were released by an indie label, that's kind of forgivable since they probably didn't have the best recording facilities. But there's no excuse on Sin After Sin and Stained Class, both released by major label Columbia.
>>
Motley Crue always had the best mixes. Most bands would kill for an album that's produced as good as theirs were, in fact Metallica hired their producer after years of shitting on them at every opportunity.
>>
Raw Power really has that Sabbath/Alice Cooper feel to it (eg. the references to the living dead in the lyrics), but it was 1973.
>>
>>71420940
The only way we can fix this is if we had a time machine back to 1973 and punched James Williamson in the face.
>>
That album was doomed from the start.

>Iggy tries mixing it himself and completely fucks shit up
>likely because he had no experience producing and he was probably high that day
>asks Bowie to fix the thing
>the remix is done in a shitty, outdated studio that looks like something from the '50s
>Bowie was probably also high that day
>>
>>71421564
bowie was coked the fuck out all the time then
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.