[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is it that makes Jazz so special?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_02412.jpg (962KB, 2015x2008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_02412.jpg
962KB, 2015x2008px
what is it that makes Jazz so special?
>>
Modes
>>
modality
>>
>>71364348
>>71364351
hivemind?
>>
>>71364348
>>71364351
You can apply modes to any kind of music
>>
>>71364326
It's execution is incredibly versatile, and the creativity required to improvise on the spot is amazing. Musicians are virtuosos and are often spiritually connected with their music and instruments. The theory behind jazz is very deep and takes an insane amount of talent to master. Assuming your referring to your image, Coltrane transcribed all of his solos note for note and could play all several hundred of his long complex passages perfectly. Not for everyone though. Musicians often appreciate more than non musicians. Would you like recs?
>>
>>71364375
yes but choosing deliberatly to be modal will influence a movement

you can analyse Bach trough modes but that doesn't mean he had a modal approach to music or that the idea of a "mode" influenced him that much.
>>
>>71364351
Not every jazz piece is modal.
>>
File: a meme supreme.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
a meme supreme.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
*gong crash*
a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme a love supreme
>>
>>71364421
and?

just because not EVERY jazz piece use a II-V progression doesn't mean it's not important in Jazz, same for modes.
>>
File: Herbie.png (157KB, 427x639px) Image search: [Google]
Herbie.png
157KB, 427x639px
It's so special because this man is a part of it.
>>
File: happy-dog-4[1].jpg (60KB, 485x575px) Image search: [Google]
happy-dog-4[1].jpg
60KB, 485x575px
>mfw I just discovered Jazz and realise I have hundreds of albums and new artists and thousands of hours of great new music ahead.
I'm entry level, still Miles, Coltrane, Mingus and Fitzgerald. Where next /mu/
>>
>>71365110
Man the ride is just beginning. Look forward to it.
If you like the freer style, such as with Coltrane, look to Albert Ayler and Pharaoh Sanders. Ayler once said, "Trane was the father, Pharaoh the son, and I am the Holy Ghost."
Anthony Braxton is one of my personal favorites, check out Quartet Dortmund 2008.
There's also a huge scene for it in Norway and elsewhere, so check out some Gustafsson and Brotzmann projects. People will call you a poser but it's genuinely fantastic music.

If you like Davis' cool/fusion style, check out Sun Ra, especially Languidity. Chick Corea is a good area to look, as he worked with Braxton and Davis on different occasions.
>>
>>71365110
Drop Jazz entirely and listen to classical instead
>>
>>71364326
>what is it that makes Jazz so special?
white guilt mostly
>>
>>71365178>>71365110

Dortmund 1976, my bad.
>>
>>71365178
How do I into the older stuff like Charlie Parker or Count Basie?
Is it like Blues where they only recorded singles and you have to pick the best compilation?
>>
>>71364326
The drums and the modes and "a love supreme"
>>
>>71364326
the more jazz i add to my charts the better and smarter i look
>>
grimes > coltrane
>>
>>71365317
>Count Basie
complete decca
>Charlie Parker
savoy dial master takes
>louis armstrong
hot fives and sevens
>duke ellington
early ellington on brunswuck and vocalion
don't say i never did nothin for ya
>>
>>71364326
the inferiority complex of black people brought on by hundreds of years of abuse and oppression that drives them to compete with the academic ideal of western classical music
>>
>>71366211
how gay
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.