[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guitarists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

File: Yr1RUD.jpg (419KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Yr1RUD.jpg
419KB, 1920x1200px
what is /mu/'s favorite guitarists?
>>
Bogpillhead
>>
>>71315676
dean ween
>>
>>71315676
Vai. Any others are wrong
>>
>>71315682
this
>>
>>71315682
can i get a quick rundown
>>
Matt Bellamy
>>
Lou Reed (TVU era)
Ira Kaplan
Nels Cline
Kevin Shields
>>
File: 1470982_orig.png (181KB, 473x699px) Image search: [Google]
1470982_orig.png
181KB, 473x699px
>>
File: P1040232-2.jpg (677KB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P1040232-2.jpg
677KB, 4608x2592px
Tobin Wasabi
>>
File: paul_gilbert.jpg (186KB, 1099x793px) Image search: [Google]
paul_gilbert.jpg
186KB, 1099x793px
PG
>>
>>71318172
He didn't ask yr favorite HIV sufferer who thrashed trying to get 2kg guitar off that was breaking his emaciated shoulder. Poor guy accidentally stepped on his EQ pedal and maxed out all the treble too :-(
>>
the alimony man
>>
>>71318172
This guy and Daniel Ash.
>>
>>71317663
a rapid synopsis, if you will
>>
Doug Martsch desu
>>
Michael Rother
Mike Oldfield
Hendrix
Fripp
>>
Robert Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJfzC6L3Nk4
>>
File: Hans_Magnus_(Snah)_Ryan.jpg (339KB, 535x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hans_Magnus_(Snah)_Ryan.jpg
339KB, 535x800px
Hans Magnus Ryan
>>
>>
Adam Jones Tool
>>
File: 51CDEBJ6P2L.jpg (11KB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
51CDEBJ6P2L.jpg
11KB, 298x300px
Geordie Walker
Helios Creed
Fripp
Steve Hackett
Holdsworth
Al DiMeola
Ry Cooder

To name a few
>>
>>71318327
JUST
>>
David Gilmour
Frank Zappa
Robert Fripp
Dean Ween
>>
File: IMG_7282.jpg (133KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7282.jpg
133KB, 750x750px
J Mascis
>>
>>71318132
>Lou Reed, not Morrison
>Ira Kaplan
kys
>>
The guy who lives down the street from me, Doug
>>
Kurt Heasley from Lily's
>>
David Gilmour is a personal favorite

I think Mike Campbell is severely underrated
>>
kurt cobain
noel gallagher
billie joe armstrong
>>
>>71325050
10/10 b8
>>
>>71318262
He seems to be a super nice dude to hang out with, but his music is really boring desu
>>
>Nobody mentions Johnny Marr
I'd like to smash every tooth in your heads
>>
>>71321561
my nigga holdsworth

also

govan
satriani
the iron maiden guys
angus young

paul masvidal from cynic is one of my favorites all time

i worked with a country guy who turned me on to alot of country players too, i dont listen to them much but theyre fucking ridiculous... brent mason, johnny hiland, danny gatton. brad paisley shreds too
>>
a few favorite in no particular order:

tom verlaine/richard lloyd
allan holdsworth
hendrix
joey santiago
johnny marr
wes montgomery
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-c66SJPuUI

I want to be able to play Mr. Sandman like this before I get alzheimers
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zscOSmLTejQ

lol this guy was the coolest

he used to eat a really greasy sandwich before playing to grease up his thumb

probably why he died of a heart attack in his mid 40s
>>
my main man pat flegel
>>
File: elliott smith.jpg (216KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
elliott smith.jpg
216KB, 600x400px
>>71327083
*Blocks your path*
>>
Thurston Moore/ lee Ronaldo
Lloyd/Verlaine
David pajo
Jay reatard
>>
>no Glenn Branca
>no Django Reinhardt
>no John Williams
>no Grant Green
>no Sonny Sharrock
>no Derek Bailey
>no John Fahey
>instead posting all these other guitarists that did the same old watered down shit
>>
>>71326804
oh yeah this took me forever to learn and ive been playing over a decade. worth it though
>>
>>71327874
john williams literally created nothing original
>>
>>71328945
Doesn't change the fact that he's easily one of the best performers ITT. Also worth saying that he's played a far larger variety musically than anyone else in this topic outside a couple of the jazzier artists.
>>
File: joanna..jpg (209KB, 1193x1200px) Image search: [Google]
joanna..jpg
209KB, 1193x1200px
unironically
>>
>>71328976
>he's easily one of the best performers ITT. Also worth saying that he's played a far larger variety musically than anyone else in this topic
irrelevant as fuck. doesn't make him one of the best guitarists ever, it makes him one of the best performers ever
>>
Any nonguitarists need to leave this thread

my picks
Frank Zappa
Pete Townshend
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Adrian Belew
Johnny Marr
Lou Reed
>>
Fred Frith, but unironically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WSeZZV6iQ

And Hendrix.
>>
>>71329333
Best at performing on the guitar. I don't think you understand how interpreting art music works. If Jimi Hendrix can be considered one of the best guitarists by working the same few blues music cliches, yet doing them differently through performance/delivery, John Williams more than deserves to be considered a great for doing just that.
>>
>>71329388
>Any nonguitarists need to leave this thread
>picks a bunch of guys that don't go away from the pentatonic blues shapes, and goddamn Marr/Reed.
>>
>>71329532
>If Jimi Hendrix can be considered one of the best guitarists by working the same few blues music cliches, yet doing them differently through performance/delivery
hendrix is renowned as a songwriter as well. john williams is just a performing monkey, just like any hack performer that """"""""interprets""""""" already written music
>>
>>71329471
Why unironically? Frith is a superb guitarist.
>>
>>71329471
>>71329594
>le wonky plunky sound man
>good guitarist

nope
>>
>>71315676
Alex Lifeson
Jason Becker
Jan Akkerman
Buck Dharma
Jeff Baxter
>>
>>71329752
Alex Lifeson more like Alex Getalifeson
>>
>>71329579
Nah, the thing with classical guitar, and classical even jazz music performance, is that a lot more is left up to the interpretation of the performer/conductor (if there's a conductor) than it seems. That's why there's so many recordings/performances of the same piece and none of them sound the exact same.

Guys like Williams on guitar or Glenn Gould on piano have taken works and interpreted them very differently throughout their careers. To be able to do something like that, it requires that one is very knowledgeable of the instrument that they play, and Williams is arguably among the if not the most knowledgeable on guitar in that manner.

Don't conflate highly regarded classical/jazz performers with YouTube cover artists. If you do so, you have both a low knowledge/understanding of the guitar and instrumental performance in general.
>>
>>71327874
1st level avant teen/fedora jazz. surprised u don't love le marc ribot too
>>
Mitch Mitchell
>>
>>71329877
why are you conflating classical and jazz music? they are diametrically opposed. jazz is very up to the interpretation of the performer, with sometimes literally just a sheet of chords being given to each performer and each of the members taking extended, improvised solos.

classical, on the other hand, is one of the least performer-based genres on the planet. each tiny nuance is notated, from dynamics to the exact finger used to pick the string. there is absolutely zero artistic liberty you can take on each piece aside from some rubato here and there.
>>
>>71329896
The only two people that do "avant teen" on that list are Branca and Bailey.

>>71329974
Because they both involve that?

>each tiny nuance is notated
No they aren't. Most of those nuances that are notated are relative except the actual notes that need to be played (and sometimes in more modern pieces, there's an exact tempo number), and sometimes even the notes can be slightly different. Why not just look up for example "Asturias sheet music" on google and see the differences? There's a reason that there's far more performance recordings of classical music than anything else out there.
>>
>>71330557
just because there are differences doesn't make it even close to jazz. classical is objectively the genre with the least amount of performer freedom possible
>>
>>71330599
I never said it's close to jazz. Fucking hell I used the word jazz two times in that post, and you're trying to put some shit in my mouth that i didn't even say. I said both mediums leave interpretation up to the performer, and that because of that they are unlike YouTube cover artists who try to play stuff the exact way. That's it. Nothing about freedom or anything like that. Stop wasting my time.

>classical is objectively the genre with the least amount of performer freedom possible
Most forms of rock music and metal music say otherwise. Only more jam-based bands have more freedom.
>>
>>71329974
>absolutely zero artistic liberty

This is one of the cringiest posts I've ever seen. There's tremendous flexibility in interpretation of pieces. Certainly you should get all the notes right, but different performers will play the same pieces differently. Take of the fedora and actually listen to some classical music for once.
>>
>>71330891
>There's tremendous flexibility in interpretation of pieces.
[citation needed]

like i said, the only flexibility is slight dynamic range and a bit of rubato here and there. anything beyond that is playing it wrong. that's the whole fucking point of music notation
>>
>>71330927
>anything beyond that is playing it wrong
>my only experiences of this type of stuff comes from middle and high school band
Lmao. Retard.
>>
>>71332170
nice implication idiot, too bad it's not true.

i play jazz in college at the moment and have a bunch of friends who are classical performance majors
>>
File: download (1).jpg (11KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11KB, 194x259px
Ted Greene and Joe Pass
>>
>>71330927
Saying dynamics are the only changes you can make in music completely ignores what jazz musicians have been doing to standards for decades. They keep the structure the same but experiment with chord substitutions, reharmonizations, and improv lead runs to make it their own. The jazz standards would get boring if the only changes between musicians were the dynamics.
>>
>>71332237
>b-but I am a jazz student in college!
>thinks that's somehow believable with the dumb shit he's spewing
>>
>>71329471
hippie con artist
>>
>>71332573
>>71330927
Just noticed the post you replied to was talking about classical and not general music. Yeah classical is a pretty strict genre, but I never thought music was meant to be strict. I reharmonize classical songs I learn, but probably wouldn't get away with it if I played professionally for classical snobs lol
>>
>>71315676
Piggy
>>
>>71332678
>probably wouldn't get away with it if I played professionally for classical snobs lol
exactly

>>71332584
its true. how do you want me to prove it?
>>
>>71333127
>how do you want me to prove it?
i want you to take a video of you sucking your own cock
>>
>>71333476
actually i might be able to get that for you
>>
Joey Santiago
>>
File: Muhammed Suicmez.jpg (40KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
Muhammed Suicmez.jpg
40KB, 640x425px
Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist)
>>
Mike Oldfield
Robert Fripp
Lindsey Buckingham
Mark Knopfler
>>
Fountainhead is a madman

https://vimeo.com/200509813
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.