[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone hate it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: mlor.png (1MB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
mlor.png
1MB, 768x768px
Why does everyone hate it?
>>
>>71304966
Because it's not very good anyway, and Roger fanboys have a hissy fit because Roger's not on it so it must be shit
>>
>>71305026
Roger was way better at songwriting than Gilmour
>>
>>71305314
Division Bell is better than The Wall and The Final Cut
>>
I'm tired of the 'Roger this' or 'David this' fanboying. This is a shit album period. The worst album Pink Floyd ever made.
>>
>>71305394
That's the wall senpai
>>
>>71305367
The Wall > The Final Cut >>>> Division Bell
only contrarians hate The Wall btw
>>
>>71305394
More is objectively worse than AMLOR.
>>
>>71305425
>>71305464
Are you fucking joking? The only bearable song on AMLOR is Sorrow. The Wall is an excellent concept album with some great songs and an unprecedented narrative presentation. More has Cymbeline, Green is the Color and The Nile Song.
>>
>>71305552
Kek, the wall is a album for teenangers who think they're rebels
>>
>>71305593
You're the type of fag to call it dad rock in other threads no doubt
>>
File: book3.jpg (571KB, 1413x705px) Image search: [Google]
book3.jpg
571KB, 1413x705px
>>71304966
I hate this because it's fucking boring and self indulgent. All you hear is Gilmour guitar wanking on everything. Same goes with The Wall and The Final Cut except it's Waters bitching and moaning about his dad, school and Thatcher. It's just so fucking boring and stupid, i don't understand why anyone would listen to this when there is plenty of good Floyd (Everything up to and including Animals) to listen to.
>>
>>71306141
>>
>>71305367
fucking autism
>>
>>71305593
you're a retard if you genuinely think that.
>>
>>71306141
but Animals is just more of Roger's complaints of society, and he specifically talks shit about Thatcher. the music is good on both animals and the wall, so what makes you hate one and like the other?
>>
>>71306323
no, that's the truth and you're just a butthurt
>>
>>71305367

I'll grant you that High Hopes was a high point for post-Roger PF, but Division Bell is still pretty lackluster. Feels very emotionally tepid.
>>
>>71306359

Pitchfork gave Animals a 10 and /mu/ is much more easily influenced than they let on.
>>
File: 291537-david-gilmour.jpg (24KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
291537-david-gilmour.jpg
24KB, 700x400px
>>71304966
Gilmour hot off his court victory gathers Nick Mason and Richard Wright in the studio and a whole host of session musicians, writers to make a "Pink Floyd" album sans Roger Waters.

Welcome to McFloyd.
>>
>>71306407
you'll be butthurt when i'm through with you
>>
Terminal Frost is fucking amazing
>>
>>71304966
there are people on this board who unironically enjoyed a momentary lapse of good music and the endless snoozefest
which one of you is part of that group
>>
>>71306359
I messed that up actually, you're right. Nonetheless, i think Floyd is the best when they steer clear of political/social commentary, which is why my favourite albums are everything but Animals, The Wall and Final Cut. I like Animals, but purely because of the sound. The lyrics aren't supposed to matter in a Floyd song, they're an instrument. That's why Syd had it right in the beginning, his words barely ever made any sense and it was great. The Wall was way too overbearing with it's message. It felt like Waters was teaching us dummies about how the world really is, it felt condescending. Like this rich asshole understands the plight of a worker or a soldier or a teacher for that matter. He should've stuck to playing the bass and writing lyrics OCCASIONALLY, not as the figure head of the band. He still calls himself the creative genius behind Pink Floyd, when in reality the group is what made the music great. Animals to me is also much better just because they were actually working together, maybe not on the best terms, but atleast the agreed on what the album should sound like and didn't bicker with each other over childish bullshit.
>>
>>71307151
You probably haven't seen this then.

https://youtu.be/QWLBtMz5OuY
In Mexico City too. Ballsy old bastard.
>>
>>71307223
oh for fucks sake. Atleast when Gilmour puts on a show he has the decency to play the fucking songs without this kind of virtue signaling. He knows he's an old geezer who's out of touch with todays world and he leaves it at that. Waters has to stay relevant, so he puts on these extravagant stage shows and pretends to be something he would have hated in the 70's. If he actually knew anything about Trump he would have supported him.
>>
>>71307453
Speaking as a Waters fan, I think he's one of Rock's best lyricists, even I have to admit that was pretty heavy handed.
>>
>>71307223
Probably paid by Soros to stir up Mexican Nationalism.
>>
>>71307453
No he wouldn't. Roger has been a fucking leftist commie since he sprouted his first pube.
>>
File: 640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg (20KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg
20KB, 640x425px
Animals [Columbia, 1977]

This has its share of obvious moments. But I can only assume that those who accuse this band of repetitious cynicism are stuck in such a cynical rut themselves that a piece of well-constructed political program music--how did we used to say it?--puts them uptight. Lyrical, ugly, and rousing, all in the right places. B+

The Wall [Columbia, 1979]

For a dumb tribulations-of-a-rock-star epic, this isn't bad--unlikely to arouse much pity or envy, anyway. The music is all right, too--kitschy minimal maximalism with sound effects and speech fragments. But the story is confused, "mother" and "modern life" make unconvincing villains, and if the recontextualization of "up against the wall" is intended ironically, I don't get it. B-

A Momentary Lapse of Reason [Columbia, 1987]

"One Slip," which provides the title at just the moment the singer is so "decadent" as to copulate with a woman, is no less sexist than the rape-fantasy cover of Roger Waters's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. "The Dogs of War," ID'd with blues bottom, could almost be the tin soldiers of Waters-as-Floyd's The Final Cut. In short, you'd hardly know the group's conceptmaster was gone--except that they put out noticeably fewer ideas. C

The Division Bell [Columbia, 1994] *bomb*
>>
>>71307453
>If he actually knew anything about Trump he would have supported him.
lmao
>>
>>71307453
you're fucking beyond saving
>>
>>71308094
hey, those reviews are actually well-written
that's kinda rare for him
>>
Album has a lackluster start, but Side B is great.

Signs of Life 4/10
Learning to Fly 6/10
Dogs of War 4/10
On the Turning Away 5/10
One Slip 6.5/10
Yet Another Movie 8/10
A New Machine/Terminal Frost 9/10
Sorrow 8/10
>>
>>71307151
>Lyrics aren't important in Pink Floyd
Wrong, they are the most important, I for one dislike Syd for the exact reason you love him. I like the concept albums that PF did, and yes, Pink Floyd did go to shit after Waters left. Not saying that all of Syd era Pink Floyd was bad, though.
>>
>>71308704
that's where we disagree. To me Pink Floyd is a spacey and psychedelic band that shines the most in it's instrumentals, or when it doesn't take itself too seriously. When it does serious or conceptual albums (aka DSOTM, WYWH, Animals etc) it comes across as hamfisted and pointless. The music is just there to sound good, to give you some emotion without really saying what it is. I feel like The Great Gig in The Sky does this really well, or Careful With That Axe, Eugene, there's something that gives you a sense of dread or fear or wonder, without really saying much with words. To me that's alot more impressive and interesting than straight up saying MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL, WELCOME TO THE MACHINE. It's just fucking dull honestly
>>
>>71308870
I can respect that, but I beg to differ, the commentary may not be anything new, but it certainly puts me in the mood to think, which is why I like their concept albums. Where I agree with your idea of Pink Floyd is on Meddle, especially Echoes, which, needless to say is a masterpiece.
>>
>>71308914
Oh for sure, Echoes is in my opinion their greatest song ever. The Pompeii version in particular still gives me goosebumps. I can understand why some people like their commentary though, it's not exactly the sharpest stuff around but it's enough to make you think over things you may have overlooked. Time for example is one of my favourites because of that, so is Jugband Blues which is probably one the only Syd songs that are actually quite easy to understand.
>>
>>71309006
Exactly my point with Time, and I said before that I disliked Syd era Pink Floyd, which was false, what I meant is that I much prefer Floyds' concept albums, by the way.
>>
>dogs of war is too long and repetitive
>put a reprise of sorrow in the middle of it
>BOOM the album is good now
thank me later
https://clyp.it/n5oyffot
>>
>>71308645
AMLoR fanboy here
Signs of Life 8/10
Learning to Fly 9/10
The Dogs of War 3/10 but >>71309094
this sounds pretty good. might bump it up to 6-7/10
One Slip 9/10
On The Turning Away 6/10
Yet Another Movie/ Round and Around 10/10
A New Machine / Terminal Frost 9/10
Sorror 10/10
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.