[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jazz newfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 2504231.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
2504231.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
Starting to look at the massive pool of jazz records but it's somewhat confusing as to where to start
I've listened to the main entry level 3 and some early miles davis. The entry level jazz musicians like davis and coltrane have massive discographies and I really want to know if it's worth me listening to all of or most of them.
Is it better for me to listen to more artists or more complete discographies?
Recs very welcome
>>
>>71304845
artists with larger discographies usually can be divided into periods where they change their sound. It really depends whether you like an artist's composing/bandleading abilities enough to want to explore them further, or whether you want to try different artists. In the latter case, it's always a safe way to check out headlining albums by people that play a lot with the artists you're already familiar with. Coltrane can get you into Tyner or Pharoah, and so forth
>>
>>71305070
Thanks
>>
The types of jazz are important in finding Jazz you like. What >>71305070 said. Free Jazz? Hard Bop? Modal? Cool? Listen to the essentials for some types of jazz and go form there.
>>
>>71305239
At the moment hard bop maybe but what I really like about most hard bop I've heard is the drums. What subgenres are more drum orientated or have a tendency to have large drum sections?
>>
>>71305288
Try rashied ali
>>
>>71305318
Thanks, some good shit
>>
>>71305288
I don't think it's really subgenre-oriented, and the only hard-bop I know where the drums really blow me away is Free for All. Free jazz does tend to have really interesting drummers. Especially Sunny Murray is great, mainly in his work with Albert Ayler. Billy Cobham's Spectrum also has loads of great drumming, if fusion is your thing.
>>
look at the line up of musicians on albums and listen to the parts you like the most. for example, McCoy Tyner plays piano on A Love Supreme, he appeared on many Coltrane albums I might want to check out, as well as solo stuff, and appeared on other jazz musicians albums like freddie hubbard and joe henderson. that's how I discover new jazz artists, i'm too impatient to just listen to an entire discography
>>
>>71305419
I'll listen to free for all
>>71305512
So more about individual players and whoever they play with then?
>>
>>71305288
Stu Martin was always the man of the hour IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RlE0-u6wUM
>>
>>71306305
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWCkKypc6o
>>
>>71304845

early jazz will inform u of all other idioms

fuck with jelly roll morton and art tatum and view everything else through a tinted lens
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.