[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Aerosmith?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 51bUYiD8yhL.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51bUYiD8yhL.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
What does /mu/ think of Aerosmith?
>>
Great 70's rock band, 'Rocks' is essential.

That's about it.
>>
One of the most fun and charismatic rock and roll band's on Earth. Rocks is a stellar album.
>>
>>71303688
too normie for me
>>
Aerosmith are the worst dadrock band after Led Zeppelin.
>>
>>71304179
this
>>
Hugely influential on an entire generation of bands BUT only the first four albums are worth bothering with.
>>
>>71303688
dad
>>
As I understand it, they're basically a bunch of humble, down-to-earth guys who weren't out to become Led Zeppelin level of huge and instead wanted to be a slightly under-the-water niche AOR band like UFO or Black Sabbath or Blue Oyster Cult, but Columbia pressured them into being rock stars. They couldn't handle it, got into drugs, and fucked themselves for years. Joe Perry has said that he never wants to relive 1979 to 84.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Get Your Wings [Columbia, 1974]

These prognathous New Englanders prove the old adage that if a band is going to be dumb, it may as well be American dumb, and here they provide a real treat for the hearing impaired on side one. Have a pretty good sense of humor too, assuming "Lord of the Thighs" is intended as a joke. With dumb bands, it's always hard to tell. B-

Toys in the Attic [Columbia, 1975]

These boys are learning a trade in record time--even the sludgy numbers get crazy. Too bad the two real whompers are attached to rockstar lyrics, albeit clever ones, because Steve Tyler has a gift for the dirty line as well as the dirty look--anybody who can hook a song called "Adam's Apple" around the phrase "love at first bite" deserves to rehabilitate a blue blues like "Big Ten Inch Record." B+

Rocks [Columbia, 1976]

The teen crossover of the year has been compared in some circles to a Buick Roadmaster--sleek, refined, yet powerful. Wish I had a lyric sheet so I could figure out what the bit about J. Paul Getty's ear means. Prospective buyers beware--Led Zeppelin peaked with their fourth album, so don't expect more from this lesser band, and enjoy it while you can. A-
>>
Draw the Line [Columbia, 1977]

The problem with all the high-test riff jobs filling Rocks was that when the time came to follow up, the band was out of gas. Joe Perry goes nowhere near the mould-breaking "Kings and Queens", synthesized medieval pomp-rock (cf. Rush, Styx) while "Bright Light Fright" conclusively proves that they won't bite "The Hand That Feeds". We knew it all along, guys. C+

Night in the Ruts [Columbia, 1979]

This one begins with a promising song about the band's career titled "No Surprize". Then they inch steadily closer to the dull tempos, flash guitar, and stupid cover versions of heavy metal orthodoxy. No surprise. C+

Done With Mirrors [Geffen, 1985]

Their knack for the small song and small use for guitar hero costume drama has always made them a hard rock group worthy of the name, not to mention of course being American. Still, with years of substance abuse and bad albums behind them, the odds were small. And against all odds, the old farts light one up, side one having more get-up and go than any one of a dozen random neogarage EPs. B+
>>
>>71304179
>Led Zeppelin
>bad

t. nu-male
>>
>>71304924
lyl he actually gave DMW a B+ when even the band themselves disowned that album? God, this guy is so bad.
>>
>>71305136
Also for a guy who's as butthurt about rock misogyny as Christgau is, you think he wouldn't give a B+ to an album with a song like My Fist, Your Face when even Rolling Stone Magazine called out Aerosmith on it.
>>
Shitty generic American hard pop, Kiss tier.
>>
>>71305382
>like Kiss could ever write anything as heavy as Sweet Emotion
>>
>>71305136
>>71304924
>get up and go
As if. Done With Mirrors sounds like a bunch of tired, burned out cokeheads, which is pretty much exactly what it is.
>>
desu Dave Geffen was taking a big chance signing a band who hadn't had a good album in almost a decade and were plagued by some pretty serious drug problems.
>>
>>71305434
Basically, after Aerosmith reunited in 1984, they put out DWM which, updated production aside, was still a 70s album songwriting-wise. It was sluggish, dirgy, and not at all what was popular or "in" during the mid-80s. It was obvious that these guys hadn't been keeping up with the rock world for some time. Some people like it for being the last "real" Aerosmith album before they turned into MTV pop rock with professional songwriters.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.