[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metalfags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Earth - Earth 2.jpg (906KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Earth - Earth 2.jpg
906KB, 1000x1000px
Can someone explain to me why metalfags refuse to classify nu-metal, djent, or metalcore as "real metal" yet classify bands like Earth as metal.

The only arguments I've seen when metalfags try and defend their claim that these aren't metal is:
>not the right riffs
>no guitar solos
>not the proper aesthetic to be classified as metal

Any time someone brings up the first point, they never explain, musically, the difference between a metal riff and a non-metal riff. Just that they're different and I should know the difference.

The second point is debunked when Earth 2 is brought up and once that happens, most metalfags will move the goalpost and declare Earth to not be metal just to fit their narrative.

The last point is bullshit when metalfags count Rush and Dream Theater as metal but won't classify Slipknot or Converge. Iowa and Jane Doe, separately have more of a "metal aesthetic" than anything in Rush or Dream Theater's discography combined.

So again I ask, why is nu metal, metalcore, and djent not classified as "real metal" by metalheads because all it seems to be is them wanting to separate themselves from the faggots who listen to those types of music and/or establish an elitist hierarchy to make them seem better than those who listen to "impure metal".
>>
i don't see what's wrong with not wanting to feel like something you dislike is part of your identity.

it's really just down to personal feelings.
>>
better question is why do you care? also earth have like 2 metal albums, the rest are not
>>
File: 1487552063226.jpg (67KB, 665x598px) Image search: [Google]
1487552063226.jpg
67KB, 665x598px
>>71293120
Metalheads are faggots who take themselves too seriously, that's basically it. Especially on this site it's just a non stop barrage of cuck and nu male if you mention anything other than nsbm with some of them.
>>
Ive only encountered 2 metalfags like this and ive spent hours on /meal/
>>
>>71294300
Nsbm has almost no audience. Unless you classify something like Marduk as NSBM, then you're totally wrong.

Deathcore and metalcore has more in common with its hardcore roots than metal. Nu-metal isnt so hard once you realize most of it was radio rock with detuned guitars, and honestly had more in common with grunge than metal. Djent is a weird one because some of those bands can be considered metal, while some are bordering on pop rock.
>>
>>71293120
WHOOOOOOOOO
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKINNNNGGG
CAAAAAAAAAARRRRRREEEEEESSSSS?
>>
>>71295087
>Nsbm has almost no audience. Unless you classify something like Marduk as NSBM, then you're totally wrong.
>Deathcore and metalcore has more in common with its hardcore roots than metal. Nu-metal isnt so hard once you realize most of it was radio rock with detuned guitars, and honestly had more in common with grunge than metal. Djent is a weird one because some of those bands can be considered metal, while some are bordering on pop rock.
DING DING DING!
>>
>>71295099
Not you? Did I get it right?
>>
>>71295143
yeah you did bby :^)
>>
>>71295087
>Nu-metal isnt so hard once you realize most of it was radio rock with detuned guitars
Rock + detuned guitars = the literal definition of metal
>>
>>71295174
Are you kidding?
>>
>>71295174
What kind of retard tier bait is this? A good majority of traditional, nwobhm, and thrash is in E standard.
>>
>caring about metal elitists opinions
>>
>>71295202
No

>>71295205
That's all hard rock with distortion
>>
>>71295174
This just in, anon proves that Codeine, Duster, and Sonic Youth are actually metal!
>>
>>71295292
Yes
>>
>>71293120

For one thing, you're treating all fans of a genre as though they were one hivemind then blaming the whole for the stupidity of the minority. For another thing, whenever someone says something like "but that's not real X" you can probably just tune that person out.
>>
>>71295335
true scotsmen on suicide watch
>>
>>71295240
Huh, I guess hard rock isn't really a thing then, is it? It's all metal! If you're gonna troll, like I said, don't use retard tier bait. Be creative. But then, I guess not much can be expected of bitter nu males that can't into metal.
>>
>>71295364
>Huh, I guess hard rock isn't really a thing then, is it?
I don't mind it, but it is hard rock

>But then, I guess not much can be expected of bitter nu males that can't into metal.
Please refer to your own post
>If you're gonna troll, like I said, don't use retard tier bait. Be creative.
>
>>
>>71293120
Metal is classified as so based on one main thing and that is through riff based progression in the music. What does that mean? That metal as a whole is based in riffs, which kinda feel like heavy melodies because of either how they are harmonized (commonly as power chords) or through sound effects like distortion or through techniques like palm muting, and the music is all one riff followed by another riff. The music is almost all riffs.

Some examples of genres from that being explained that seem close to metal but aren't metal:

>hard rock
Hard rock music for sure tends to have riffs, but not structured at all like metal music. Well, first thing's first, sometimes they are just melodies not even riffs. Second of all, tracks aren't almost entire composed of riffs. The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin for example has its main riff then has its verse style section which entails just a couple chords.Thinks of riffs as hooks to a song, and hard rock often works these hooks like pop music does (intro/or chorus generally has it then a verse section is just a simple chord progression).

>nu metal
Nu metal's structure is also rather similar to what I explained above. There isn't that focus on having a riff based progression structure in most of it. Example being like Korn's track Got The Life which has its main riff, then has effects and shit for the verse. Another example is Deftones' track Digital Bath where it's just chords being strummed and the main melody coming from Chino's voice. BUT, there are some exceptions. Slipknot definitely has some tracks which are obviously riff after riff after riff. Same with Mudvayne. Though the more repetitive tracks from those two don't fit.

>metalcore
A lot of this, like mentioned before, follows a very obvious late 80s/early 90s hardcore punk inspired structure. Other stuff, like Shai Hulud, follows a structure closer to post-hardcore. Bands often confused for being metalcore like All That Remains or BDM are melodeath
>>
>>71293120
Literally never heard anyone say Converge or Slipknot isn't metal
Slipknot is trash tho
>>
>>71293120
>djent
I am not sure what of this can be considered metal. Maybe earlier Meshuggah albums when they were on the in between line of metal and djent? Otherwise djent is either too repetitive in its songwriting, or relies too much on melodic technical style breaks that are more akin to jazz to be considered metal. Sure there'll be a riff here or there, but that's it.

>because all it seems to be is them wanting to separate themselves from the faggots who listen to those types of music and/or establish an elitist hierarchy to make them seem better than those who listen to "impure metal".
Not really. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. There's still a lot of stuff for the elitists to complain about even then (atmospheric black, stuff like Earth, the "nu male metal" meme) that all fits the concept of metal because they still play large sounding riffs after riffs, but not in the way certain metal fans like it.
>>
>>71295292
country is metal too
>>
>>71293120
Oh and one last thing, yeah this does mean that certain things not usually called metal are also metal as well (some tracks from Jimi Hendrix, the track Red from King Crimson, etc.)
>>
>>71295744
>djent isn't metal
What the fuck it's still metal it's just autistic as fuck
>>
>>71295344
wha sae base
>>
File: 1475536504191.jpg (116KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
1475536504191.jpg
116KB, 780x520px
>>71293120
>its another butthurt faggot gets btfo of /metal/ episode
>>
>>71295792
Find me a djent track that plays more than three riffs, and actually is riffing instead of chugging on one note the whole time, or does a riff then proceeds to get into some kinda jazz/prog instrumental session.
>>
>>71295835
I probably could but I'm not about to spend any amount of time listening to djent
>>
>>71293120
Cuz that shit sucks and earth is good.
>>
>>71295680

It's really weird for someone to write that much in their bait but I'm not sure it's actually weirder than believing that's the definition of metal. Definitely 10/10 though, major props.
>>
>>71296204
Not denying that except Jane Doe is legit great, but that still doesn't mean it isn't metal. Just shitty metal.
>>
>>71295926
>>71296381
Just excuses and shit talking. If you can't post anything with substance, then don't bother, or really continue to embarrass yourselves if you want.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.