[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Synth General /sg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 16

File: access_virus_ti_lg.jpg (134KB, 1200x440px) Image search: [Google]
access_virus_ti_lg.jpg
134KB, 1200x440px
Post anything related to synthesizers including modular.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyLt3BaabQk
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxOkLVzGfgE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eglu23iGsU0
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrI0NOcLJM
>>
>>71287693
>>71287747
>>71287767
>>71287798
I could go on forever with synth stuff I find cool, so I'll stop here unless you want more
>>
>>71287819
good shit, thanks
>>
>>71288036
np. here's a few more for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E034wcww390

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgqt-LJW3vM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7rK3Eks4s
>>
>>71287502
>hardware synths
what year are we in, 1970?
also, the future synthesizer is a midi keyboard attached to a PC
>>
>>71288217
What?
>>
>>71288217
Yeah, turning knobs with your mouse must be a joy

Why the hate tho?
>>
>>71288217
I've tried midi keys hooked to my pc. just not for me. Hardware synths are just more fun, but whatever floats your boat
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtQa5jINEc8

Took me some time to find this again. Well worth it though
>>
i'm selling my op-1
>>
>>71288263
>Yeah, turning knobs with your mouse must be a joy
>>
>>71288444
nice meme
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9q48UlfD1w

Fan of Moby or not, this video is actually pretty interesting
>>
>>71288412
for what?
>>
>>71288412
Why sell it? The op-1 is pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOzYItTttw
>>
>>71288536
I really wish the shared system didn't have the phonogene. They could have added a second maths or a function/mmg.

Speaking of make noise does anyone here own an MMG? I heard it described as primarily a filter, but wanted to know if it had fast control over the cutoff frequency.
>>
File: db_hr1.gif (145KB, 815x410px) Image search: [Google]
db_hr1.gif
145KB, 815x410px
>>71288536
nice meme
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4IeXNAJVw
>>
File: 1484236632646.png (114KB, 540x478px) Image search: [Google]
1484236632646.png
114KB, 540x478px
tfw all you have is a microkorg and a circuit bent sk-1 but you have to save your money
>>
>>71288736
>configuring all those knobs
>for every vst

I like to play my music straight t b h

I respect the work and mindset of software users btw, but again, why the hate? It's not like this is a competition
>>
>>71288217
I hate to admit this nigga is right
>>
>>71288841
No software?
>>
>>71288902
i did this for cubase to set up banks for a knob controller and it was so annoying and took a long time
>>
>>71288841
i know that feel, broother
>>
>>71288536
Ok so for real does anyone know what all these fucking things do? Like if you had a sound in mind would you know what knobs to turn and switches to flip to achieve it? Or is it kinda just fiddle fucking around until you hear what you like?
>>
>>71288841
It is a bummer. But you can do a lot with 2 synths. For less than $100 you can get a korg volca beats if you want to add a decent (although simple) drum machine into the mix and you have yourself more than enough to do full jams: bass on one synth, lead on the other, plus the drum machine
>>
>>71289014
meant a used volca beats, new is overpriced
>>
>>71288982
>this nigga

If you don't know how to patch a modular you can't expect any sound coming out of it. BUT sometimes randomness it's part of the fun
>>
>>71288982
each module has a purpose. with the basic knowledge of what each module does is enough to get some dope ass sounds.so yeah, pretty much does fucking around.
>>
>>71288982
I don't know this particular synth, but most have the same components. The oscillator generates the basic tone, which goes through the filter to cutoff certain frequencies and attenuate others, envelopes shape the sound by providing short bursts of automation each time a tone is generated (can be set to automate the filter cutoff knob, volume, anything you want, tone settings in the oscillator), then you have the LFO which is similar to the envelope but provides repeated automation on anything you set it to. Those really are just the basics, everything else is built on top of one of those aspects of a synth. IF you're looking at something other than subtractive synth like FM, at that point things can get so complex that even if you know what you're doing the results can be unpredictable so it amounts to knob twiddling anyway
>>
>>71289045
>>71289068
>>71289117
interesting
i have no idea about any synths what so ever but im interested in it. that shit just looks like the hydrogen bomb schematics to me.
>>
>>71288982
The modules themselves are very simple to use. It would probaly be hard to effectively use a premade system though. When you buy the modules one at a time and learn them inside in out it becomes quite intuitive, even when you have complex stuff like maths which is an oscillator, mixer, envelope generator, glide generator, lfo, and logic circuit all in one module.
>>
File: brendan.jpg (98KB, 837x892px) Image search: [Google]
brendan.jpg
98KB, 837x892px
>>71289117
>FM
>>
>>71289147
If you're interested in learning, I highly recommend getting one simple hardware synth and sticking with it until you know it inside out. I started with the Arturia Microbrute and do not regret it at all. It can patch into a modular system so it is still useful if you go crazy with synths like all hardware synth players eventually do.

These articles read like a physics textbook but they're the best source of synth information out there: http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synth-secrets

youtube videos on sound synthesis also work ok for giving ideas. short tutorials on getting various sounds out of the synth are good for inspiration. But if you really want to invest some time there is a series of vhs tape looking synth tutorials that look cheesy but actually have some great information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
>>
File: 20170227_000621.jpg (3MB, 3030x2136px) Image search: [Google]
20170227_000621.jpg
3MB, 3030x2136px
Does anyone have this? Thoughts?
>>
>>71289299
>not enjoying analog fm
>>
>>71289028
>>71289014
was thinking a novation circuit instead maybe, drum machine and sequencer all in one. plus bonus (limited) synths
>>71288934
software isn't as fun! also im an idiot and can't get my MK synced w my PC
>>
>>71289344
I have a friend with this same guitar synthesizer
I can't tell you if it is good or not since he is too dumb to actually use it to the fullest
>>
File: Linplug_cronox_main.jpg (79KB, 490x307px) Image search: [Google]
Linplug_cronox_main.jpg
79KB, 490x307px
does anyone know where i can find a good torrent of CRONOX 2?
>>
>>71289430
Just get a korg emx1 or the new electribe

Sync your mk with you daw is super easy

Go to your daw midi settings, select your audio interface as midi output, then use a midi cable to connect the audio interface midi out to the mk midi in, search the mk manual to set it as slave to receive midi signals. First set it to receive on all midi channels (just to start)
>>
>>71289864
ive not been able to find this either rutracker only has a few versions of cronox 3
>>
File: image.jpg (288KB, 1002x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288KB, 1002x604px
Posted a thread about this earlier.

No money and want an analog synth. I think my choices have been narrowed to the Microbrute and the Monologue.

What do you think of the differences between the two? I'm leaning Monologue.
>>
>>71290117
Get a second hand bass station 2, for the love of god
>>
>>71290117
if youre gonna get the monologue just save and buy the minilogue i have microbrute and its definitely versatile for its price range
>>
>>71290117
Monologue for functionality (oscilloscope, presets, sequencer)
Microbrute for sheer sound

Choice is yours, supposedly build quality is better on the Monologue but I should hope you wouldn't smash your fist on either anyway
>>
>>71290553
Microbrute build quality is kinda shit, but that's somewhat part of the appeal. The sound is voiced in a very vintage way because there's all kinds of weird internal distortion.
>>
>>71290616
It's really solid desu

>all kinds of internal distortion

Nope, just the brute factor
>>
>>71290117
Microbrute ftw. I've had mine for about 3 years now and still use it even though my collection has built up with more complex/expensive synths etc. Great sounds, simple, and can patch into other analogue synths. The ability to patch is great when you want to get experimental, for example taking the voltage out of a hardware sequencer and plugging into the microbrutes filter input to shape the filter automation in complex ways. Monologue is cool but does not have any patching capabilites and the sound is uninspiring compared to microbrute
>>
>>71290714
Past half way on the mixer the oscillators drive into the filter, also 99% sure the resonance clips at high amounts. Also at 12-2 on the master volume knob you can hear some weird bleed from the lfo, this might just be my unit though
>>
Gonna build a baby 10 for my micromoog

Anyone have any baby 10 experience?
>>
>>71290117

Microbrute plays better with modular setups - plenty of cv in/outs, and is a modern classic.

Monologue has the xox-style sequencer with more features and knob sequencing. It also has bigger keys, if that means anything to you.
>>
File: behringerbcr2000.jpg (96KB, 757x600px) Image search: [Google]
behringerbcr2000.jpg
96KB, 757x600px
>>71288736

A challenger appears!
>>
>>71288536
vst when
>>
File: Daze-Bazille-skin[1].jpg (367KB, 2162x1226px) Image search: [Google]
Daze-Bazille-skin[1].jpg
367KB, 2162x1226px
>>71291088
this is actually pretty good

>>71291092
try this vst out its really good
>>
>>71291158
not that guy but that vst won't do what the shared system modules do
>>
>>71291092
>>71291220
Are there any vsts that model vactrol response? I don't think it would be to hard, but a huge part of the make noise sound is tony putting vactrols on everything.
>>
>>71291220
im too poor to know about hardware desu can i get a quick rundown on the shared system modules specialty
>>
File: zozzle.jpg (12KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
zozzle.jpg
12KB, 184x184px
>>71291088
owned this for 3 years. can confirm it's pretty fucking garbage.
unfortunately the doepfer drehbank is no longer manufactured and hits sale prices of $500 when it does go up on eBay. the shitty compatibility of the bcr2000 with most midi functions in most DAWs (mostly thanks to the fact that they share the same midi CC number or something along those lines) make it really difficult to use it without wanting to destroy it, and even if you don't take it upon yourself to destroy it, it will evaporate entirely within a couple years. within not even a year of owning it, the power button broke off internally, requiring me to break the warranty by ripping the sides of the machine off forcefully to repair it. multiple knobs have also freed themselves from the top row of the unit, and are very difficult to properly relocate.
tl;dr fuck this thing, someone make something better that isn't on a fucking tablet please god
>>
>>71291319
>Maths
It's a pretty complex module. It generates slopes, but can also smooth out voltages. You can use it as an AR,ASR,Oscillator, portamento generator, and probaly other things.
>ModDemix
Dual ring mod/VCA and mixer, I heard it described as a bipolar VCA.
>DPO
Complex oscillator, designed to create interesting timbres. You have a master oscillator with tons of timbre shaping controls and a modulator oscillator used to modulate those timbre controls or do FM.
>Optomix
Dual low pass gate. It's like a filter and VCA but the sound gets more muted as the volume decreases.
>Echophone
Echo module with delay and pitch shifting
>Erbe-Verbe
Reverb module
>Wogglebug
Random generator module. Similar to a sample and hold but with more features.
>Pressure points
Voltage bank and gate generator. It's like a key keyboard.
>Rene
Sequencer that can sequence non linearly in a 4x4 bank
>Phonogene
Sampler based off tape machines
>>
>>71291652
just wanna take a quick moment to shill how fucking INSANELY INCREDIBLE the dpo sounds. i won't ever use another fucking oscillator for dirty subs than a moog or a dpo.
>>
>>71291720
Never used a DPO, I was debating between the DPO and a Verbos CO. I ended up going with the CO which sounds incredible, but sometimes I regret not picking the DPO because it seems to have a much wider timbral range.
>>
File: bogs.jpg (56KB, 728x485px) Image search: [Google]
bogs.jpg
56KB, 728x485px
>>71291652
>>71291720
im watching some videos of it and i really would like to have this i need to save for over a year though
>>
I think I've decided between the Microbrute and the Monologue, and I'm gonna go with the Monologue.

I feel like the Monologue has the added benefit of functionality that the Microbrute doesn't have, and I feel like the oscilloscope will seriously help me with understanding how sound synthesis works.

Also they're both $300 so if I manage to scrounge up another $300 I can get the other anyway.
>>
File: Stage2EX88-large.jpg (69KB, 750x201px) Image search: [Google]
Stage2EX88-large.jpg
69KB, 750x201px
how the fuck does anyone afford a nord

are they really worth the cash?
>>
>>71292899
my uncle has a nord stage he bough used for like 2 thousand
>>
>>71292899
Do people actually buy these for the sound? I've never really seen nords in the studio, just in gig photos. It's probaly people who do cover bands and shit.
>>
>>71293551
thats cuz they are pretty pointless in the studio.
>>
>>71288982
Maths is a super cool multi-purpose module with 2 identical sides. Each side can be an envelope generator, LFO, clock, among other things depending on how you patch it up. Moddemix is basically a VCA x 2. DPO is a 2 oscillator VCO capable of analog FM & a lot more. Optomix is a low pass gate x 2, or basically a filter and/or VCA x 2. Echophon & Erbe-Verb are digital echo and reverb respectfully. Wobble bug is a random voltage generator. Pressure Points I think is a controller of some sort and I believe Rene is some sort of sequencer. Phonogene is a digital emulation of a tape recorder as it it was used in the 60's to make Music Concrete.

tldr; It's a "West Coast Synthesis" module system so yeah basically the point is to fuck around until you come up with something you like
>>
>>71288263
>he didnt specifie which pc

tactile exist you dumbo

>>71292574
you are dumbo too

better save and buy something good (from the get go) not common entry shit you are going to throw into a box to collect dust when you buy a proper one
>>
i wish dave smith would've added patch/bank buttons like the prophet 6/ob 6 to the new prophet 08 rev 2.
>>
>>71292899
Idk if they're worth the cash, but I wish I could afford one. I have a combo organ from the 80s I always gig with though. Great squarewave section, but the sines are a pale Hammond imitation. The nord seems nice because it has Hammond keys and a good sound that doesn't weigh 300 lbs. The mellotron samples seem pretty handy too.

$2000 can get you one hell of a synth though.
>>
>>71292899
>how the fuck does anyone afford a nord
download synth1 vst for free
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1-by-ichiro-toda
>>
>>71287502
I've a Virus b. Really fun tool to learn on.
>>
File: Random_Access_Memories.jpg (21KB, 329x329px) Image search: [Google]
Random_Access_Memories.jpg
21KB, 329x329px
I wasn't too big of a fan of this album when it came out at all, but I recently listened to Giorgio by Moroder again and I feel like I totally glossed over it a few years ago.

What are some other songs with similar synth-dream feels?
>>
This blew my mind

http://www.factmag.com/2015/03/28/best-affordable-small-hackable-open-source-off-the-wall-synthesizers/
>>
>>71288412
Good. Those toys get old really quick
>>
>>71294910
uh, that does not emulate pianos, organs etc
>>
up
>>
>>71294463
I'm still really considering buying a prophet 8
every once and a while one comes up used and they're always in nice neighborhoods and near mint but I'm scared of all the buttons and knobs
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.