[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mixing. Compression and EQ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Bedroom-Studio-Pic.jpg (153KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Bedroom-Studio-Pic.jpg
153KB, 500x375px
Mixing. Compression and EQ
Good plugins and techniques.
Getting into music want to get better at training my ear.
>>
>>71284922
Here's the instructions that helped me understand compression

Turn Attack down + release up to smooth out sound
Turn the attack up and the release down to make it punchier

also if you crank them both up you get that "pumping" sound that daft punk like so much.

Sometimes using simpler compressors with less parameters make it a lot easier to get what you want. I prefer using guitar pedal style compressors with 3 or 4 knobs versus messing with a ton of different parameters.
>>
>>71285138
I just use the parameters that are on fruity limiter cant so that includes what you said plus whatever else is there but on a different plugin.
I'm trying to learn how to make clean crisp sound vocals
>>
>>71285138
What about mixing or EQ
>>
>>71285275
How to make it sound crisp clean and clear without being in a booth and shit.
>>
>>71285291
>without being in a booth
things you can't repair in post:
wall reflections
shitty sounding rooms in general

so starting with a crisp and clean vocal signal is the only way to get that sound
>>
>>71285171
Just give them enough release to make them sound full, and enough attack to make them punch out of the mix, but not too much or you'll get popping and pumping sounds. Compression is a pretty subtle effect, It's important to figure out what works best for you. I read somewhere the RZA used a 4:1 compression ratio on all the vocals on 36 chambers. Save your presets once you find the effect you want and then modify those as needed for the song.
>>
Good mic is all I can do. Nothing i can do about room. Might try build a sound box.
Ive come across 4:1 and being using similar settings but not getting the sound im hearing from other tracks.
>>
>>71286245
I've recorded a ton of shit in garages and basements, and no matter what you do, at the end of the day it's going to sound like something recorded in a garage and basement. If you want your vocals to sound good, find a space where they sound good and record them with whatever you can listen to the track off of headphones and use a portable recorder if you have to. A ZOOM H1 in an acoustically good space will sound better than the best vocal mic in some bullshit room. When I was in university I'd go record in the stairwells late at night or early in the morning to get the natural reverb. The variables of acoustic space are a lot more important than manipulating them in post. You just have to be resourceful. Outkast recorded the vocals for ATLiens in their bathroom.
>>
>>71286694
You give me hope to strive for my dreams.
With that post outkast one of the greatest. I will take your advice and perhaps invest in a laptop and record in different locations. What about a car?
>>
>>71286893
could be interesting, just use your ears to find a place that sounds good before you record, and I'd suggest getting a portable voice recorder over a laptop. The zoom series has some great mics plus the ability to plug external mics, and they're way cheaper + more convenient than recording with a laptop and audio interface.
>>
Thoughts on a foam box?
>>
Surely a voice recorder not going to beat a mic?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (2MB, 2116x2775px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
2MB, 2116x2775px
>>71287047
I was just making the point that good acoustic space is more important. Comparing them both in the same place, a standalone mic is obviously better, but something like pic related is still pretty decent.
>>
Can you plug in an external mic this is the first ive heard of this lol. My music life is that of a new born.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.