[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not Your Usual Grimes Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: old.jpg (80KB, 380x603px) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
80KB, 380x603px
So I'm pretty new to /mu/, been on here a few days and even though Art Angels came out quite a while ago people are constantly talking about Grimes so thought I'd share my experience and my complete change in perception of her music. So a few years ago I didn't put much thought into music, I mostly listened to a classic rock radio station and MGMT/EOTS. While I was randomly browsing YouTube I came across Genesis and found myself liking it a lot so I checked out what else she had to offer. I liked a bit of Halfaxa and Darkbloom, couldn't get into Geidi Primes. I remember when Art Angels came out and I found myself liking it a lot. Hell, I even had an unhealthy obsession at one point. Then I saw a short review of someone throwing the album in the toilet and flushing it. I started to question why people were reacting this way but ultimately ignored it. I considered it simply a distaste in the change of her sound. Several months later I decided I didn't want to listen to the same music over and over again and went on a site called albumoftheyear. I checked out hundreds of albums and went out of my comfort zone as much as possible. Several months later I came back to Art Angels, I have a complete distaste for it now. Visions feels really hit and miss now too. Geidi Primes though, I've come to really enjoy that album now and consider it her greatest, though I think Dream Fortress is her best song. Anyways, I just wonder if anyone here holds the same opinion as me. Her original intention was to capture the essence of the dark ages in music form and now that idea is completely abandoned.
>>
>>71284760
yeah same. used to be a huge fan but i feel like her ability of doing everything presents a lackluster release that doesn't excel at anything she tries
jack of all trades master of none
>>
First heard a few songs off visions. Liked a bit of it.

Liked geidi primes from the get go and still do. Has a very interesting sound and it's concise
Took a bit to get into halfaxa but after recently returning to it I think some of her best work is in that album

Never got onto art angles that much... The songs are catchy and it's a fun listen although.
>>
>>71284880
The only song I still like from it is Kill V Maim, it's really unique and shows a side of her that isn't present on any of her other works. California being the worst track.
>>
I don't know if it was OP or someone else who might come into this thread, but whoever requested GP in the sharethread the other day (deadthread now, one back from current)… I upped it in 320 for you because all the archive links were dead and for some reason it's not in the /mu/core mega, nor any Grimes discog in any of the pastebins.

I'm not a big fan, but that seemed weird. Wasn't sure if you saw it before the thread 404'd

like a lot of people, I first heard her because of "Oblivion" and really liked the outsider-pop, stripped-down sound. The video for it matched that sensibility perfectly, too. So I copped Visions and then later some others but I ended up deleting them except Geidi Primes.

I was hopeful for Art Angels but I kept skipping tracks on my first listen thru, nothing grabbed me.

I don't understand the obsession some people here have with her, nor the hate for her--but I guess 4chan is for hate anyhow…
>>
>>71284760
>Several months later I came back to Art Angels, I have a complete distaste for it now. Visions feels really hit and miss now too.
Such a shame to hear that. These albums are much better than Geidi Primes.
>>
>>71285242
>I was hopeful for Art Angels but I kept skipping tracks on my first listen thru, nothing grabbed me.
Maybe you just don't like pop music if such a catchy album makes you feel nothing.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.