[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Death in June / NON label listed racist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: 2010-UBADVC4S.jpg (84KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
2010-UBADVC4S.jpg
84KB, 400x400px
https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/soleil-recordings-splc-hate-group
>Oregon-based record label and mail order service, Soileilmoon Recordings, has been deemed a hate group promoting racist music by the prominent civil rights advocacy group Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).

basically, this guy's record label has landed on the same list as the fucking KKK for distributing the music of Death in June and Boyd Rice, and it's clear that they didn't put much actual thought into the decision. What does /mu/ think about this? Is it irresponsible for a group like SPLC to try and blacklist artistic endeavors based on questionable claims?

I'm somewhat torn on this because, on one hand, I think that if you're going to make art focusing on controversial subject matter (whether you personally embrace the subject matter or not) you should be prepared for the consequences of consumers misinterpreting your work. At the same time, I think a group like SPLC jeopardizes their own message by playing guilt-by-association games and creating lists of "unsafe" music, especially when dealing in nebulous territory like just about any performer who rose out of the early industrial scene.
>>
the lefties are the new fascists.
people are already afraid of saying what they think.

thought crimes when?
>>
Doesn't seem like a breaking development for Pearce and Rice considering they were part of the og industrial scenes and have dealt with a spectrum of interpretations for decades. Fact of the matter being people interested in the works for the music aren't going to be held up by these accusations and people in it for the politics didn't care for them to begin with anyway. As is the case with the large majority of underground music that exists on the peripheral of mainstream norms.
>>
>>71279472
The SPLC are fucking awful for this sort of thing desu. They'll blacklist anything. You'd think a group dedicated to this thing would be wiling to look into things more rather than slapping a hate crime symbol on everything. Look at their lists though and they basically run on a "if someone says it's hateful then it must be hateful" premise. They also called Burzum (not Varg but the project itself) NSBM, understandable from a level of complete ignorance, but if you're going to slap that banner on something you really need to look into it further than that.
>>
This means nothing. No one is being censored. May as well be complaining about a collective of Christian moms labelling your favorite rock band "satanic".
>>
>>71279510
bad post
>>71279511
good post
>>
>>71279510
At least we have you standing up for all the lost opinions. Man, what a hero you are.

And literally why did this get a raise out of you OP? As the other dude said, the Southern Povertly Law Center is a fucking joke and everyone knows this. Me thinks you just wanted to spill some autistic hateraid over some muh opinions shit.
>>
>>71279557
This
People take this too seriously
>>
>>71279472
>if you're going to make art focusing on controversial subject matter you should be prepared for the consequences of consumers misinterpreting your work
/thread
>>
>>71279573
Other than institutions like SPLC are corrupt to the core. And these bands are going to be eliminated from some professional opportunities.
>>
>>71279578
Except it wasn't consumers or even music fans.

It's literally yet another attempt to deem what kind of speech/art is acceptable.
>>
>>71279511
Yeah, I'm aware it's not something out of the ordinary, exactly. I've witnessed Di6 protests in the US and seen the various antifa pamphlets denouncing his work. It seems like a bit of a leap from protest by the public/consumers to a blacklisting by a fairly prominent advocacy group, though. This is the kind of thing I expect from countries with strict hate speech laws (Germany's restriction of some of his music for example), not the US. These groups aren't Skrewdriver, they're a little more nuanced than ten minutes of google searching will uncover.

>>71279557
I'm not really talking about censorship and I'm not of the same opinion as the shitposter above with the generic "leftists are the fascists" statement. I just think it's irresponsible for a group of this nature to put a guy's record label on the same list as the most prominent hate groups in the US.
>>
>>71279591
Oh shut the fuck up, you whiney baby. They aren't entitled to professional opportunities or jack shit. As the all the rw babies would say - free market, bitch. Certain people don't like you? Get fucked.
>>
>>71279591
lol like what?
>>
>>71279591
think of all the gigs varg, rice, and pearce won't get wow lmao
>>
>>71279557
This is spot-on. No one takes the SLPC seriously. This is the group that labelled Pepe a hate symbol.

>>71279578
DIJ has been labelled as a racist hate group since before OP was born. This is nothing new.
>>
>>71279591
I highly doubt people are going to turn down acts like Rapoon, The Legendary Pink Dots, and The Hafler Trio because of who distributes their work in the US.

Besides that, Doug P and Boyd already get their fair share of protest and shit flung at them and nothing is expected to change.
>>
>>71279610
>>71279614
>>71279614
>>71279616
College gigs etc. Look what happened to that viet-cong band.

It's a big deal. The powers that be are going after anyone who is not in line with their doctrine.

They're attempting to make 'liberalism' the only acceptable voice.
>>
>>71279591
These artists get protests, bomb threats, etc wherever they go. They would have backed out a long time ago if they were actually concerned about any of it. As I said in the OP, it comes with the territory of making controversial art. I'm less concerned with any financial impact or whatever that occurs to the artists, and more with the fact that SPLC trivializes what should be a serious endeavor regarding hate speech by putting a record label on the same list as actual nazi organizations. I was not aware of some of the things being mentioned in this thread, though, like the Pepe thing, so maybe this whole thing is silly to post about anyway.
>>
>>71279650
Just wait until Soros goons start showing up to bash the fascists.

You dudes are naive.
>>
>>71279650
But think of the absolute moral outrage??? Censorship???
>>71279664
underground music will continue to operate underground as it literally always has through the various distros and netlabels that the internet has only made more easier for this art to thrive in

you're being spooked by shadows
>>
>>71279690
The (((SPLC))) has always been corrupt.
>>
>>71279472
Theres literally nothing wrong with racism
>>
>>71279699
They've already fucked hard w/ 'underground' music.

True independent music is not thriving. At all. The exact opposite.
>>
>>71279664
viet cong isn't underground they are in the """"indie""""" scene
DIJ has is own scene where anybody who attempts to listen to their music already knows what they're getting into
viet cong got fucked because they were passive aggressive about their name choice
>>
>>71279566
i'm not.
i just made an observation as a random person on the internet. dissenting opinions are increasingly being shut down. even if it doesn't seem like a big deal, it is.

'You're either with us, or against us'. this quote by hitler seems to best describe the political and social climate at the moment.

call me a crybaby, stupid or whatever. it's a slippery slope and things like this are alarming to say the least. i only ask; what's next?
>>
>>71279472
>Rice is a former [white supremacist organization] American Front member
I mean, that's just catagorically untrue.
>>
i'm sorry but the totenkopf and other nazi imagery is just too aesthetic for artists not to exploit in some way. fuck all of this professional victims, it has gotten out of hand.
>>
>>71279722
I understand. All I'm saying is they're doing everything they can to shut any type of any real independent music sceme/media down.

Taking shit like this lightly is a mistake.
>>
SPLC has always done stuff like this, I think they were the guys who tried to smear ramzpaul as well.
>>
>>71279758
yeah but discussing it on 4chan isn't really gonna do anything.
if you wanna help out buy DIJ records and merch.
they can't get shut down if their fans support them financially.
really doubt the majority of music fans care about some list from SPLC. now if vice or pitchfork did a hate article on DIJ i would agree with you 100%
>>
The label has been around for a quarter century, the artists even longer, and now they're part of the new wave of hate groups since Trump?

Cmon, SLPC, you're better (or were) than cheap tricks than this
>>
File: Sound System Back.jpg (43KB, 490x267px) Image search: [Google]
Sound System Back.jpg
43KB, 490x267px
>>71279751
It's daft to say just because they use the imagery that they must support it. I have a Clash box set with a totenkopf on it, but they're surely not Nazis either.
>>
>>71279803
SPLC has always been corrupt. Always.
>>
>>71279720
>>71279758
cute doomsaying, here's a label that regularly releases NS stuff doing quite fine in this 'opressive, stifling environment' because they can't get gigs at colleges (lmao)

https://www.discogs.com/label/33638-Darker-Than-Black?sort=year&sort_order=desc

nevermind all the shockploitation stuff on bandcamp or soundcloud, my primary point being this music isn't going anywhere with the internet: it is underground and it will stay underground
>>
>>71279819
I'm old. If you don't think independent media has been greatly diminished over the last 20 years, you're not paying attention.
>>
File: cat nazi.gif (950KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
cat nazi.gif
950KB, 500x600px
I think that the splc would cease to exist if racism stopped tomorrow.
A bunch of jews put you on a list.
Who fucking cares.
Are they going to write you an angry letter too?

Literally the only white people left not making nigger jungle sounds or kike pop shit are underground neonazi hipsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAXfwCt8V8E

Maybe these jews would rather death in june culturally appropriate another culture and play some black music instead?
>>
>>71279837
what was great independent media then?
>>
>>71279819
Just wait until discussion of things deemed 'rascist' or 'hate symbols' are scrubbed from the internet.

Don't laugh. It's coming.
>>
>>71279844
When I was a kid there was a litteral network of bands/labels/zines/venues/distros functioning completely independently across the country.

What's left is a mere shadow of what used to be.
>>
>>71279874
could i get some names?
I would love to see some good indie work that i've missed.
>>
>>71279837
I'm young, then? I see the potential (and actualization) of the internet as ultimate mediator for transgressive media and can name labels, distros and scenes that thrive under it. What can you name that has tangentially inhibited this otherwise?
>>71279850
'ok'
>>71279874
because the internet happened and label/zine/distro culture moved there to accommodate?
>>
>>71279888
So much. Maybe read 'Our Band Could be Tour Life' and go from there.
>>
>>71279926
thx i'll check it out
>>
>>71279919
The internet has been a cancer.

The true independent music scene is in wayyyyyuyy worse shape than it was in 25 years ago.
>>
>>71279926
*Your Life
>>
>>71279919
Which internet?

Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, YouTube, Last FM, Bandcamp etc.

I got news for you kids. You don't own any of the platforms, and when shit hits the fans they control the content.

You don't have an independent music scene.
>>
>>71279983
hi mark
>>
>>71279983
http://nwnprod.com/forum/index.php
http://www.special-interests.net/forum/

is it because you don't know the scenes that you're this delusional? the above are examples but can be understood as archetypes of what the internet has the capacity to foster
>>
>>71279993
Well, you're wrong, but hello.
>>
>>71280016
Yeah, I'm aware. But again this PALES in comparison to where we where even 20 years ago.

It's not even close.
>>
File: Entartete_musik_poster.jpg (43KB, 271x389px) Image search: [Google]
Entartete_musik_poster.jpg
43KB, 271x389px
Oh, did the jews put them on a list of bad music?
>>
>>71280033
No, having to wait weeks to get word back on a demo sent to someone pales in comparison to the potentiality of the means available today. It's not even close. You can't move the goalposts like this and expect to uphold a meaningful stance. Underground music (which demonstrably does exist in this environment) would not thrive to the degree it does (which demonstrably can be shown by way of examples) without the internet.
>>
Someday ill take you to disney land, ill take you on mister toads wild ride, we'll follow him straight to hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJSsbXDBWXs
>>
>>71280074
It was in better shape back then. By far. I mean, we actually paid for music and set up non-festival shows. It was more important culturally back then as well. People knew each other irl. It was an actual lifestyle.
>>
>>71279472
I'd say that it's highly problematic but Death In June and Boyd Rice being utter garbage i'd say not much harm was done after all.
>>
>>71279472
I bet this ends up being the best thing that ever happened to this label. Tons of free press.
>>
It's been ages since I've listened to these guys or dug up anything on their history, so correct me if my approach to them is misinformed. I never really got into NON but dove quite deep into DI6's discography and can pretty safely say that they (well, at least DI6) do employ a problematic aesthetic. The music, from my purely musical perspective, can be pretty killer; examining the art's overarching aesthetic, however, reflects a troubling propensity towards extremist authoritarianism (which the artists themselves openly and publicly court without directly claiming subscription). I definitely wouldn't blame somebody for associating them with a very broad definition of 'hate group,' despite my own reservations towards such.

That said, labelling the platform instead of the actor as the hate group isn't something I can fully get behind, if only for semantics and nuance. I don't really know anything about this entity and its definitions for 'hate group,' but the definition implied here seems a bit broad. Shit like this does come with the territory though.

Also, I didn't know so many people on /mu/ so readily eat from trashcans, but then again, 4chan.
>>
>>71280120
Everything you say undermines the work of innumerable people of innumerable scenes to express the love they have for their music (whether it's NSBM guys from Poland, post-punk from Denmark, power electronics from Finland or techno from Brooklyn) because you're attached to this ideal that somehow the scenes were in better shape without what the internet offers. Repeating yourself doesn't make a statement more sound btw.
>>
File: manson.jpg (56KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
manson.jpg
56KB, 600x450px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaSnkjqeY-U

Is the Charles Manson / boyd rice beef the hottest beef in hip hop?
>>
File: 1459671763002.jpg (9KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1459671763002.jpg
9KB, 180x200px
>Rice coupled his aural assaults with psychological torture on audiences in Den Haag, the Netherlands, by shining in their faces exceedingly bright lights that were deliberately placed just out of reach. As their frustration mounted, Rice states that he:

>continued to be friendly to the audience, which made them even madder, because they were so mad and I didn't care! They were shaking their fists at me, and I thought that at any minute there'd be a riot. So I took it as far as I thought I could, and then thanked them and left
>>
>>71280230
Boyd Rice is a well known prankster.
>JUST A PRANK BRO!

Blood & Flame is a great record, though.

Btw, now with all these kind of news and accusations, I wouldn't be surprised if Coil is thrown there someday, because of all the paedophilia undertones in their music.

>baby ctying samples
>that kid being molested at the end of The Anal Staircase
>the video of Love's Secret Domain
>that sleazy interview (you know that one)
>>
>>71281017
>>that sleazy interview (you know that one)
whats this?
>>
>>71281059
http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6947&Itemid=1
>>
>>71281059
Johnn also referenced the word "pedophilia" in this interview

>Well the focus has now changed to paedophilia, hasn't it. The pendulum has swung round to another target group. Satanists are safe for a while!

http://www.brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/publications/coil-2001-fortean_times.php?site=coil08
>>
>>71280198
I bet Boyd and Michael both were just happy to have got Manson's attention desu
>>
oh no, purposely controversial artists are drawing controversy! truly orwell's nightmare!
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4Ho8zYPZ4
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.