[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i get better at writing lyrics taking creativity and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6324.jpg (63KB, 650x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6324.jpg
63KB, 650x440px
how do i get better at writing lyrics

taking creativity and putting it into word form is not an easy task. any tips?
>>
you don't like skub?
>>
Try take inspiration? I don't write much but I use too, I would write a lot and move on then come back once I felt better at it then try to improve it.

likewise you could just go with the flow of a beat and write from there?
>>
>>71279202
>anti skub
what's it like to be on the wrong side of history
>>
>>71279202
keep doing it, faggot, show your work to people fearlessly, take pride in what you do but don't be afraid to have fun, express yourself, take classes, do drugs, go to open mics, talk to other artists, and most of all dont let anything stop you from finishing something. the BEST thing you can do is to simply practice a lot, and complete your work.
>>
>>71280080
^
This d00d is right mang
>>
>>71280080
i'm not good enough yet to show my work for the most part. If i do have a flash of brilliance that i'm comfortable with i'll show it but for the most part i'm inconsistent.

Expressing myself through writing is the hardest part for me. Everything sounds corny or forced unless it's just utter nonsense that I have no actual connection to. Making that connection is the part i have trouble with.

Do you think i can go to open mics alone? I have no friends.
>>
>>71280080
This guy is right.

In terms of techniques I have two depending on what I'm doing:
1) For poppy songs that I do for fun, I pick a concept, make a list of all the concrete objects, ideas, entities, people associated with that concept, and basically just make snarky couplets out of them. Put the most interesting/biting/funny ones at the most musically dramatical points in the song, you've got a song in two hours tops
2) for serious songs, I do it the same way I write poetry:
A) pick concept or thematic idea
B) make list of themes, symbols, concepts, people you associate with concept
C) reread songs/poems/books that involve those themes and thematic connections
D) make concept chart tying together everything you have together this far
E) plan a structure that serves the purpose of your concept (My very example of this is Brand New's Limousine, study that shit)
F) plot out a progression of thought that serves your concepts and follows the connections you made in your concept map; if it serves you to make it nonlinear and disjointed then don't be afraid, just know this takes a lot of skill and greater practice
E) get down to the actual writing: think of the most engaging lines that serve your concept, and again place them at the most musically dramatic moments; spend the lyrics that precede them setting up those moments (note that these lyrics shouldn't be lesser in quality, they're just inherently subordinate due to less impact)
>>
>>71279249
>>71280063
Skub-cucks
>>
>>71281331
My man
>>
>>71281321
Also, study how your favorite lyricists put phrases together, locate where the technical focal point of each one is, then practice using those techniques! My favorites are Morrissey and John Galm of Snowing:
Morrissey often writes pithy statements based in kitchen sink imagery that use metaphors to point out irony;
"A double bed, and a stalwart lover, for sure,
These are the riches of the poor"

John Galm likes representing emotional ambiguity or ambivalence in ambiguous word usage that gives rise to multiple potential interpretations:
(In a song about his alcoholism, and his feelings for his father who died of alcoholism) "I feel nothing like my father"
>>
>>71281321
>>71281471
this is helpful
thanks
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.