[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: bands that went to shit the second they took themselves seriously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: wow so avant garde.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wow so avant garde.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
you know it's true
>>
>>71266558
they never did, they still release stupid edgy shit, just look at Demons Dance Alone and Tweedles!
>>
eskimo is such a boring album compared to the commercial album and duck stab

I agree
>>
>>71266558
To turn shit they have to not be shit in the first place
>>
>>71266575
>hating demons dance alone
get out
>>
>>71266575
those albums try to have legitimate stories behind them while their earlier albums were all about mocking music as a whole
>>
>>71266595
Eskimo isn't that serious of an album either, the whole point is that they're tricking you into thinking chanting gibberish and "nigger" over wind sound effects is supposed to be serious representation of Intuit and Eskimo people and culture
>>
>>71266622
this

the single they released off their new album also sounds rly interesting
>>
70s Residents >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else they released
>>
MCR
>>
Pink Floyd
>>
anyone that says the residents take themselves seriously has clearly never seen the ultimate box set video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T343JR_BjM
>>
the Who
>>
>>71267223
The residents
>>
File: 5yhgDR.png (177KB, 259x319px) Image search: [Google]
5yhgDR.png
177KB, 259x319px
>>71267231
fuk off u cheeky cunt
>>
But the residents were never good.
It's easy to just slap a bunch of noises together and call it 'experimental'
It's more impressive to write music with actual good melodies that are genuinely enjoyable.
If you genuinely enjoy the residents, you are fucking sad and/or autistic.
Get a life.
>>
>>71267231
kek
>>
>>71267570
>implying not available isn't a masterpiece
>>
>>71267570
you must be fun at parties
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>71267223
>>71267231
>>
>>71267570
They weren't experimental at all
>>
Snakefinger was better than the Residents
>>
>>71266558
not a band, but

Yung Lean
>>
>>71267570
>It's easy to just slap a bunch of noises together and call it 'experimental'
They didn't do this
>It's more impressive to write music with actual good melodies that are genuinely enjoyable.
They did this
>>
>>71268276
I'm listening to Third Reich N Roll and you are full of shit
>>
>>71268437
You just don't get it then.
>>
>>71268454
Eat a dick
Snakefinger was what the Residents wish they were
>>
>>71268521
dead?
>>
>>71268454
>You just don't get it then.
You actually think the residents are experimental?
The residents are the epitome of faux-experimental because all they do is be wacky and plebs like you actually believe it's experimental
>>
>>71268591
talented
>>
>>71268651
Then tell us daddy, what is TRUEEE EXPERIMENTALLLLL rARW xDDDD?
>>
>>71267570
there's a time and a place for both conventional and unconventional music, and what they did was relatively fresh and bold at the time. btw, image does matter, not just purely the musical content just to inb4 >but dae just wore masks
you just hate wackiness because you're bitter and cynical
>>
>>71268651
What if we don't think of them as experimental, and we just like them because they're wacky. I mean, being experimental isn't the only reason to like a band.
>>
>>71268733
>rawr xd
Are you seriously that annoyed at my comment that you resort to childish insults that aren't even relevant to experimental music
Theatre of Eternal Music
Rhy Chatham - Die Donnergotter
Steve Reich - Live/electric music
Intersystems
Henry Flynt

I bet you think frank zappa is experimetnal
>>
>>71268875
That's fine but don't claim wacky, oh so random noises are experimental
>>
Test please ignore
>>
>>71268928
oh don't be pedantic with your semantics, most of the time when people say music is (more or less) "experimental" they just mean it's different from the established "normal" styles of some culture. if wacky noise ever becomes mainstream, you have a point but it's not
>>
>>71268909
e d g e
>>
>>71269076
wacky noise won't become mainstream
because noise is not music by definition
>>
>>71267087
this
>>
>>71268909
>I bet you think frank zappa is experimetnal
he is, in pretty much any way you look at the term. see: xenochrony
>>
>>71269076
>not mainstream = experimental
The only reason you are clinging onto calling it experimental is because you love the ego boost of being able to think of your music as experimental and therefore you as an 'intellectual'
You are just stroking your ego whilst listening not being openminded enough to listen to actual experimental music
>>
>>71269108
noise is commodified in exactly the same fashion music is, it's just treated as another genre, so it doesn't make any difference
>>
>>71269089
>I don't like the same music as you and you have called me out on claiming something to be something it isn't
>I must call him edgy
>>
>>71269171
if you say so. but that doesn't attack my definiton in any way, even with how flawed it is. i'll stick to the core idea though, experimental is just that what people think it is and you're just upset they don't adhere to your exact idea, or because you don't like a few certain artists
>>
>>71269147
Xenochrony only speaks of the recording technique aspect of doing something like that. Otherwise polyrhythms and polymetre are far older concepts.
>>
>>71269275
>that doesn't attack my definiton in any way
Yeah, it directly contradicts your entire definition
I'd call that an attack
>>
>>71269173
Its only treated as another genre by those stupid enough to consider it music.
As for commodification, we are arguing as to whether or not noise belongs to music as an art form and as I said it does not fit the definition of what it is to be music.
>>
>>71269333
it was literally just an adhominem though, you have no idea what music i listen to. for all you know i might not even like the residents and just felt like shitting on you for being an insufferable prick
>>
>>71269200
I'm just memeing you pal ;)
>>
>>71269336
>if i just say these people are stupid, i can ignore their impact on language
residents aren't even really "noise", i just went with the terms you used in that post before me, and that's a discussion i've seen on this board way too often to care, sorry
>>
>>71269451
Oh, sorry. I'm too wrapped up in this argument to see jokes
>>
>>71266595

eskimo isn't that serious though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9tNT4Aar8&index=6&list=PLC7CE0D985C30502A

the whole point of it is mocking consumerist culture and how it overly alienates other cultures to where they are literal aliens
>>
You guys aware of the residents to youtube Channels? Its pretty much the Randy character rambling on for a while.

Can't say I'm into it but they keep adding content despite getting fuck all views. Thought I'd give it a share.

Not sure why they use two channels but here
https://www.youtube.com/user/theresidents
https://www.youtube.com/user/luckyexit/
>>
the residents were unlistenable garbage from their inception.
>>
>>71269627
pleb
>>
File: 59.jpg (10KB, 262x100px) Image search: [Google]
59.jpg
10KB, 262x100px
>>71267570
>>
File: the residents new 2017 album.jpg (185KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
the residents new 2017 album.jpg
185KB, 1000x1000px
When is their new album coming out?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.