[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western popular music is the fast food of music, and there is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1487709902716.jpg (27KB, 338x447px) Image search: [Google]
1487709902716.jpg
27KB, 338x447px
Western popular music is the fast food of music, and there is more exciting creative music making going on outside the Western pop tradition than inside it. There is so much incredible noise happening that we'll never exhaust it. For example, there are guitar bands in Africa that can be, if you let them, as inspiring and transporting as any kind of rock, pop, soul, funk or disco you grew up with. And what is exciting for me is that they have taken elements of global (Western?) music apart, examined the pieces to see what might be of use and then re-invented and reassembled the parts to their own ends. Thus creating something entirely new.
>>
Was David Byrne the original poseur?
>>
>western music = nothing but pop

This pasta is new
>>
>>71254182
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9901EED8163EF930A35753C1A96F958260,&pagewanted=all

Byrne is literally autistic, so.
>>
>>71254181
No, he's a widely respected musician with a long career dedicated to experimentation and variable progression of music.

He does not give a single fuck that some obese loser calls him a hipster on 4chan.
>>
>>71254284
Lol
>>
deep
>>
>>71254296
/mu/ loves Talking Heads
>>
File: anudda shoa.png (346KB, 617x391px) Image search: [Google]
anudda shoa.png
346KB, 617x391px
>looks at ops thread
>looks at the tenth million kpop thread were the same 5 guys jerk off to plastic gook sluts who all look the same

face it man, music is dead and whittled down to top 40 pop sluts and nigger rappers.
There is no musical variety anymore
>>
File: 1487709644062.png (298KB, 2426x1416px) Image search: [Google]
1487709644062.png
298KB, 2426x1416px
>>71254720
>only kpop exists outside the West
>>
>>71254182
Nowhere was it suggested that it was. That's why the pasta starts with "Western popular music..."
>>
>>71254182
Popular
Art
Folk
>>
Fuck Byrne
>>
Why is the first step into World Music always African soukous/guitar stuff for so many people? I mean it's awesome stuff, but this jack ass acts like he's discovered the arc of the covenant. It's not really a secret anymore.
>>
File: 1448928654523.gif (1MB, 310x314px) Image search: [Google]
1448928654523.gif
1MB, 310x314px
I dated this girl recently that was SUPER into Brian Eno productions and Talking Heads, and now even though she's gone it remains like a virus. I can't help but work my way through their discography and be super into this dude. I dig his style. He pulls from everywhere, and wasn't afraid to leave a huge musical career behind to be a weird artist that does crazy shit.

Unrelated note: What do you guys think of Here Come the Warm Jets?
>>
Death Grips samples a lot of middle eastern music etc.
I'll leave now
>>
>>71254161
>musician writes good music
>musician "expands" his palette with third world boom baps
>musician writes terrible music since he is clearly outside his wheelhouse
Every time!
>>
>>71261025
Pathetic.
>>
>>71261061
>spend life cultivating highly specific taste regarding instruments and genres you constantly hear
>decide to "spice it up" with foreign influence that is your current mid-life crisis flavor of the month
>music is disjointed and odd
Paul Simon did it best but that's not saying much. I generally find that when white guys appropriate specific cultural styles it usually never develops beyond the surface level imitative and thus it sounds more generic than the highly specific style they created naturally. That isn't saying some African drums can't make a track sound amazing, but it always seems to scream "hey look we're doing an African thing it's so African all the instruments are African the rhythms are really African we even have a black African choir going "ho yes! see we're doing the cultured thing" - The influence is always too much and it sounds like a discount Fela Cuti.

Btw I'm also not a tumblr I'm a government man I just used problematic words for triggering purposes.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.