[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into jazz?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: jazz.jpg (203KB, 708x709px) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
203KB, 708x709px
How do I into jazz?
>>
Do Heroin,
>>
Davis, Coltrane, the list goes on...
>>
>>71253596
Care to be more specific?
>>
>>71253504
Kind of blue is a really good album I think would be good for a beginner to listen to
>>
>>71253853
And if you look at the personnel list and listen to some of the music from the people in the group on the record they are all good starts to jazz. For earlier jazz a lot of duke ellington would be really good and would give you a better historical understanding probably, and maybe some Latin jazz too if you like that like Arturo sandaval and some of dizzy Gillespie Latin stuff. Later if you want to check out like other stuff "the quintet" is another essential album where everyone on it is absolutely essential to know, which is from a genre in jazz called bebop that's faster. Some modern people to listen to are Christian McBride, Kenny garret or chic corea.
>>
File: 1485426490568.jpg (2MB, 2160x4185px) Image search: [Google]
1485426490568.jpg
2MB, 2160x4185px
>>71253504
I've recently discovered I like jazz, been using this chart. My personal favorite as of yet is John Coltrane's a love supreme and Giant Steps

Just google the subgenre of jazz and if it sounds good to you listen to some albums from that part of the chart
>>
Go through Miles Davis discography is a good entry point, it's very accessible and has covered a lot of different styles. Then start checking out the other musicians that play on his records, since his bands have always consisted of the most talented musicians in the world.
>>
File: HerbieGuide.png (2MB, 850x2250px) Image search: [Google]
HerbieGuide.png
2MB, 850x2250px
I haven't posted this guide in a long time so give me a god damn pass.
>>
Hey, guys. Wondering what modern jazz you guys reccomend. ive gotten into the basics recently with John Coltrane, Miles Davis, but I'd like to see which modern artists are decent. I only really listen to one, Pearl Django, and whatever pops on my pandora station of the same artist.
>>
>>71254619
kamasi washington - the epic
>>
>>71254619
Portico Quartet, especially their first two records, are great and very accessible (2012 record some of the most accessible stuff).
>>
>>71254822
>I've listened to one jazz album this past decade
>>
>>71254968
lmao you got it correct
>>
>>71254306
Feel free to ignore this post, you'll be better off.
>>
File: 6643290037_7ac713ccf1_b.jpg (735KB, 1024x718px) Image search: [Google]
6643290037_7ac713ccf1_b.jpg
735KB, 1024x718px
>>71253504
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTFr0ytA8
>>
>>71253650
Listen to In A Silent Way
>>
>>71253504
One day, jazz will into you.
>>
>>71254157
>>71254306
Listen to The Keith Tippet Group - Dedicated to you but you weren't listening.
>>
>>71254992
>Feel free to ignore this post, you'll be better off.
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters is the album that got me and many more people on this board into jazz, even though it's jazz-funk. That wouldn't be a bad starting point.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.