[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: stangeralbumcover10.jpg (189KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
stangeralbumcover10.jpg
189KB, 300x300px
what went wrong?
>>
Nothing. It's my favorite Metallica record.
>>
>>71250805
The snare
>>
>>71250805
PLONG PLONG PLONG PLONG
>>
Their motivation is what went wrong. With the Black Album they went a new direction as Cliff's contributions had expired and Bob Rock lead the way. It was a smashing commercial success as we all know and their confidence in Bob inflated. However when the Alternative movement occured in rock music, their confidence in themselves deflated. They turned to Bob for another dramatic switch. St. Anger was a failed effort to fit in with the flavor of the day, Nu Metal. 7 string guitars, no solos... Jesu Christo, we are lucky James didnt attempt fucking rapping!

Fact of the matter is Metallica pioneered the whole ugly men playing ugly music and are therefore godfathers of the alt scene, and if they had just played what was in their hearts they wouldve pleased their old fans and made new ones.
>>
I listened to it all the way through two weeks ago.

It sounds like drug rehab patients to me.

I don't know it, depressed me and kind of scared me in a way.

The songs are just chugging and they kind go for 3 minutes and it gets exhausting because there are only 2 or 3 riffs. For the three minutes or so and then something new will happen on the guitar and then the 2 or three riffs just come back and they just keep going for another 3 minutes. You end up with these songs that are a bit exhausting but just won't stop.

They also have this thing where the drums attempt to be the star of the riff almost like a drum riff. Like the beginning of dirty window.

The snare is obnoxtious. It isn't pop...pop...pop...pop for quarter notes where the snare hits a pop and then is silent before makes another sound.. ITs POMMPOMMPOMMPOMM. You almost always have the snare making noise continuously.

I also have this idea that a song should work if its stripped down to simply chords on a piano or acoustic guitar and the melody. I think they actually kind of did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFh_HvfXTPY

Also, it actually isn't really better without the legendary snare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5z1VY7kBQ

So IDK, its not really an easy listen. Its not structurally or sonically similar to MoP, RLT, or AJFA. Death Magnetic and Hardwired were simply attempts to copy MoP. I can't say I cared for any of those songs they were boring.

The guitars in St Anger aren't really that super high gain over driven sound. Its more of a computerized distortion thing going on.

Really I think this album is hated for not being MoP the sequel.

Its probably the only Metallica album I'll ever listen to all the way through and also probably the most played album by them for me.

But that's about all the compliments I'll give to it. If they were going for a depressing drug rehab type of vibe they did it and it made me feel uncomfortable and depressed.
>>
I could have sworn this was a Chinese Democracy thread.
>>
Nothing went wrong. It was great
>>
Nothing. But also >>71252524 this

The album is pretty good in any case.
>>
>>71252706
....Youre saying Metallica should exercize musical integrity? Sorry, dude, that got ground to hamburger by a tour bus in Norway.
>>
File: Trash.jpg (11KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
Trash.jpg
11KB, 300x224px
>>
>>71250805
Alcoholism, dysfunction.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.